2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

NOW THIS !!! IS HOW A CLEVELAND CLASSIC SHOULD LOOK

ROBOPTI

I have a classic Wilson Persimmon Driver with a DG R400 shaft in it. I've had it for ages and picked it up new in one of those mega sales when golf shops were emptying their older clubs for next to nothing. Back in the day I added an extension and it never felt the same as it did with the standard length and SW from the factory. I'll dig it out, remover the extension, install a new grip, check the swing weight (and adjust it) and see how that works. If it does what I expect it might do, I'll do a Titanium driver with a low loft and try a DG S300. I suspect that an X 100 might play a tad too stiff for me. Yet I hit a pros callaway X tour 2009 with X100 and hit them fine. I'll just have to see how it all pans out. There aren't too many guys around these days that have the experience with building a steel shafted driver these days, most of those guys are retired.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up a Classic for dirt cheap and I'm very tempted to try this experiment with steel. (It just looks too cool not to) Only thing is I got the 10.5* classic for cheap because it's the lighter 270 head. (Which is what, 193 grams I think?) Any recommendations on the steel treatment for this? I know little to nothing about club building. Should I add weight to the head to compensate for the heavier steel shaft?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to experiment with a Titlest 983 K @ 9.5* and DG-S-300. I just need a little less snow to hit it outside. There is no swing weight port on this driver, And as odd as it may sound I have the shaft cut (with grip installed) at 42 1/4. When the club is grounded it sits at 43, If need be I can blow the grip off and add upwards of a 1 inch extension. As far as the SW goes, I'm not sure how it finished, and will need to find a shop where I canmeasure it, before I add any length. Even with using a longer tee, if I feel like I need to add length to the shaft, I can only add lead tape to add more weight to the head.

Tomorrow I will be putting a S300 in my....

COVERT! :blind:

CANT WAIT, WILL REPORT BACK!

I LIKE HOW YA THINK SON !!!!!!! devilsmiley1.gif

Ya have to post what happens

You all have to admit ... 60k+ views - 23 pages etc ... I KNOW !!! have helped 50+ peeps build em .... Ain't noone calling me crazy. NO page after page of ROBO has lost it

Psssstttt ... It workkkkssssss

Tomorrow I will be putting a S300 in my....

COVERT! :blind:

CANT WAIT, WILL REPORT BACK!

I LIKE HOW YA THINK SON !!!!!!! devilsmiley1.gif

Ya have to post what happens

You all have to admit ... 60k+ views - 23 pages etc ... I KNOW !!! have helped 50+ peeps build em .... Ain't noone calling me crazy. NO page after page of ROBO has lost it

Psssstttt ... It workkkkssssss

OH i know, I have been playing a s300 in my 983k driver until the face cracked a few months ago. It was the overall best performing set up I have owned, the only downside is that if you don't hit it quite right you do lose a bit of distance.

ANYWAYYYYYYYYY...

I went today to install the shaft in the covert but was worried about the ferrule, so I have instead placed a new order for a brand new nike ferrule. BUT I just had to do something with the shaft so I put it in a 2009 burner driver and its playing at 43.75". I will be doing a range session tomorrow, I can't wait to see how this head will perform. I more then likely will be going to an x100 shaft considering that what I play in all of my irons including wedges and I also play an x100 in my hybrid.

What people seem to not understand... :dntknw: ... is that the whole point of putting a steel shaft in the driver is so that you can play it below 44" and not have to worry about swing weight. I can't tell you how many times I would cut down a driver a little too much and suddenly be at C8 swing weight. My only available option was to add a ton of lead tape and then that would make the shaft feel extremely whippy and produce a ton of top spin.

Mavrik Sub Zero 8* AD DI 6X

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Callaway Apex UW 17* AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex UT 2 iron  Smoke Black

Sub 70 TC raw 4-pw  KBS 120 Black
Taylormade Hi-Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

Well just got back home from the first round with my burner driver with a s300 shaft played 43.75 inches long. It feels pretty weird, the face feels dead but when I would drive out to the ball I was really surprised how far it would travel because it just didnt feel like i hit it solid. I would also says that I am pretty sure I got a ton more roll out then I have ever gotten, the ball flight wasn't really low but it seemed to hit the ground and take off. I did not hit that many fairways but the misses were quite as bad. Overall its pretty cool and I will give it a try in my covert driver. I just wish it felt a little better off the face.

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

Going to put an X100 in a Tourstage 9*!!! 44" about right for a 6'3" guy?

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1364593975' post='6722423']
Oh no, guess who dropped an X100 in his 9.5 J40 430.... Testing begins tonight.

J
[/quote]

Hot!

I plan on swapping out my GD Tour AD DI for a N.S. Pro950FW steel shaft in my B'stone J38 3W...

Bridgestone Tour B - X driver + FUJIKURA Speeder757 Evolution III 
Cobra F8 Tour 3-wood + ALDILA NV Green 75s
BRIDGESTONE Tour B XD-H 21* + Nippon NS Pro950 UT
Irons: MIZUNO Pro221 + DG S300
Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

[quote name='Mizunofan' timestamp='1364623956' post='6724689']
[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1364593975' post='6722423']
Oh no, guess who dropped an X100 in his 9.5 J40 430.... Testing begins tonight.

J
[/quote]

Hot!

I plan on swapping out my GD Tour AD DI for a N.S. Pro950FW steel shaft in my B'stone J38 3W...
[/quote]

After a very hurried range session tonight, I can tell you that things look promising. Definitely straighter and more consistent, although it responds really well when you "go after one" my best shots were when I took things easy. I wont comment on distance as it's somewhat hard to gauge length at my range at night + range balls being what they are....
What surprised me was that the trajectory is significantly higher than I'm used to, I'm keen to see what sort of run I'm getting.

Anyway It will be in the bag tomorrow morning for 18, so hopefully I'll have some good news for ya'll later.

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

Wait what...

photo-8_zpsc2c5c187.jpg

:)

NICE !!!!!!!!!

You sir ... Have re-inspired me ... may have to glue an X100 in a dual cog when i get home

YOU MUST post your results ASAP

I keep saying ... I DARE someone to tell me I'm wrong

I want an x100 considering thats what I play in my irons and hybrid but all I had is the s300. I played this shaft yesterday in a 09 burner head and really liked it, unless you put a really bad swing on the ball then the ball is not going to travel that far off line. I have always played a shorter driver but struggled with swing weight and was really pleased to see this coming in at d2 played at 43.75".

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

Wait what...

photo-8_zpsc2c5c187.jpg

Hot! Was it difficult to fitting the adapter tip to a steel shaft?

Bridgestone Tour B - X driver + FUJIKURA Speeder757 Evolution III 
Cobra F8 Tour 3-wood + ALDILA NV Green 75s
BRIDGESTONE Tour B XD-H 21* + Nippon NS Pro950 UT
Irons: MIZUNO Pro221 + DG S300
Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

Well I didn't do it my trusted club builder did and it was the first time he has done it and he said it was a breeze!

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

The steel shafts slide straight into the adapters just like a graphite shaft does.

I took my S300 Adams SL Tech out today for 9 holes (first of the season). I continue to be impressed with the feel. I would recommend everyone try this to see if it works for your game. Nice baby draws on command all day, which is something I have never been able to do with a driver before.

O.K. I apologize for my previous rambling post in this thread. I was a little excited because I felt a light had come on and I was trying describe why/how it made sense to me. Unfortunately that post makes very little sense. In any event my effort is a Mizuno MP-001 8.5* (370cc) DG x100. It’s still curing, but I hope to get it out on the range for a trial tomorrow. Look forward to reporting back here soon about my experiment.

Ok I can do a preliminary test result of my Titlest 983 K at 9.5* with the DGS-300 at a finished length of 43, when it's grounded. First off it is easier to hit a shorter driver, so that's a benefit. The driver does not feel too stiff at all for it's length but I've lost some distance. I was hitting it about 245-255, and this is likely because of a swing that's not dialed in due to the winter lay-off and the reduced length. I haven't checked the SW so that is an unknown factor at this time. However, at the present length, I can safely say that I could probably step up to an X-100 and would do so in a newer driver head, with an 8.5* loft. What I anticipate happening is being able to go after-it a bit more, to get the kick of a slightly stiffer an longer shaft. I would see the maximum length of a finished a club at 43 3/4 with the grip installed. I'll report after I can confirm the SW of the Titlest 983 K with the DGS-300 as I work on the next experiment of a club with a stiffer shaft, slightly longer length, and less loft.

Wait what...

photo-8_zpsc2c5c187.jpg

Did you have a chance to play the covert yet, im really liking the setup :)

-------------------
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike vapor flex driver Diamana S+ blueboard stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Cobra bio cell+ 3/4 wood stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike covert flex 5 wood Diamana S+ blueboard stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Cobra bio cell+ 3/4 hybrid stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike vapor pro combo ust recoil 110 5-pw[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike engage square 52 graders wedge ust recoil 110[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike engage toesweep 60 graders wedge ust recoil 110[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike Converge S2-12[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Sun mountain h2no lite[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Wait what...

photo-8_zpsc2c5c187.jpg

Did you have a chance to play the covert yet, im really liking the setup :)

Nope not quite yet, but I am playing in a tournament tomorrow with it so expect some feedback tomorrow evening. I'm sure this will be quite the attention getter on the range!

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

[size=4][color="#000000"]OK, the initial trial at the range on Sunday went well. The courses are just starting to open here, but the grass is still dormant and the ground is still frozen, so you might as well be hitting off the mats at the range right now. I had picked up the new driver from the builder on Saturday after dropping the head off on Friday, but wanted to give it a little more time to cure. The club builder (Ron Anderson @ Tour Stix) is a very well respected club builder in the area and he and his buddies got a chuckle out of my experiment. We measured my previous gamer, a 9* SMT DB Plus with a Fujikura Motore F1 75g S-flex shaft. Turns out that driver measures 7.5 flex and D5 swing weight, 45” long. The Mizuno MP-001 3wood I like so much is a 6.5 Flex - D3 with a DG S300. So we aimed for 7.3 Flex – D4 with a DG X100 for the new Mizuno 8.5* 370cc MP-001.[/color][/size]
[size=3][color="#000000"] [/color][/size]
[size=4][color="#000000"]After a good warm-up and hitting half a bucket with the irons working up from the wedges, I hit a few tee shots with the SMT which I am actually hitting very well at the moment, but occasionally I tend to get fast with the club, which will cause some inconsistency at impact and some wild left or right misses. My thinking was that even though the swing weight is fairly high, the weight of the club is less, which I think leads me to increase my tempo compared to all my other steel shafted and therefore relatively heavy clubs.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]The first few swings with the Mizuno were solid strikes, little draws. The club didn’t feel that much heavier really, but I was trying to maintain a good tempo. Ron recommended leaving the shaft a little longer and experiment with choking up 1/2” to 3/4”, then adjust it if I want later, so at the moment it measures 44.5”. I did hit a few choking up on it about 3/4”, but didn’t really see much difference. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]Based on the initial session, I’m pretty happy with the club, well struck shots were smooth and very straight. My misses seemed to be reduced a little, though I noticed I had started to over swing after a number of good hits to see if I could get an idea of the limits. Once I started to miss the sweetspot of the smaller head, obviously the results were pretty bad. But the season is young and my swing is still a little rusty. It’s difficult to really tell what kind of distance you are getting from the range rocks, but I can tell that the steel shaft is longer and far more consistent than the stock Mizuno graphite shaft that I have in my 400cc 9* MP-001, probably a little shorter than the SMT, but I’ll have to get it out on a course to see just how much. [/color][/size]
[size=4][color="#000000"] [/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"] [/color][/size]

Okay more on the J40 430 9.5 deg... after a little perseverance I've finally got things how I like it. I've been working with "feel only" as I have no Swing weight scale.[list]
[*]The first setup was at 43.75 and only tipped 1 inch. Swing weight felt okay but not great. While controllable and straight it launched the ball much to high for my liking, on course I saw very little roll out.
[/list][list]
[*]Next I tipped it a further 1/2 inch. The SW was too head heavy for me. Range testing showed it was very accurate even with the difficulty I was having finding the center of the club face. Distance was noticeably shorter but "okay", I still wasn't happy with the trajectory. Impacts felt harsh.
[/list][list]
[*]Then I decided to take the build in the other direction, I extended the length out to 44.5 and also changed to slightly heavier and firmer grip. While the club's heavy, the SW works for me. During range testing I was consistently finding the center of the club face, had a great feel for how the shaft was loading and impacts felt oh so sweet . The trajectory was significantly lower than the previous setups too, much closer to what I normally like. And yes it's straight ,controllable and repeatable. Now I'm really looking forward to trialing this setup on my home track!
[/list]
Another added bonus was that my old driver shaft (PX 7A3) found it's way into a 13deg Sonartec GS Tour head....dirty sneaky long fairway driver!

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

IN REGARDS TO THE NIKE COVERT PERFORMANCE DRIVER

Ok just returned from my first bb tournament of the year. Ladies and gentlemen, this is no joke...I just got home from maybe the best driving day I have ever had. Usually I am longish off the tee but not the most accurate and on a good day we usually play 30% of my tee shots. Well today we played maybe 80%!!! I felt so confident standing over the ball and its like I could just feel where the ball was going to go. Other than the very first hole where I missed the fwy to the right every other hole the ball was long and in the fwy. I hate the word effortless but truly I felt like I could just take a rip at the ball and could just trust the club to do the work for me. My ball flight was cut almost in half which produced a ton of roll. I have always hit a cut/slight fade and today was awesome looking at these low long cut shots finding the fwy and then taking off like a rocket once they hit. People this experiment is worth the 17.99 + installation. Unless you have a major swing fault I just don't see how this wont help you!

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab