NOW THIS !!! IS HOW A CLEVELAND CLASSIC SHOULD LOOK

ROBOPTI

[quote name='Orlimar1' timestamp='1349056311' post='5727683']
[quote name='LBlack14' timestamp='1349046831' post='5726201']
What a waste of money this was. Who wants a damn near new True Temper Lite XL and R11 tip? Both have 1 round on them. The shaft was tipped to play firm. So it was tipped 3.5" and called for 4.5" to play to stiff flex. Plays 44" in my Supertri.
[/quote]

Didn't even give it a second try Landon?
[/quote]

Nope. I just can't see anything changin' Russ. I've tried 80+ gram shafts in my drivers and never really liked that feel either. Who knows. I'm just really diggin' this MP600 PL Blue 65 right now.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Nspiel58' timestamp='1348679295' post='5699219']
[quote name='Chico' timestamp='1348631086' post='5696763']
Ahh how i miss the old days of persimmon woods!
[/quote]

Loving this thread. If I were to purchase another "metal" driver, it would be the Cleveland Classic, a piece of artistry, as far as I'm concerned. I recently found these Classics on Ebay. They are just beautiful clubs and so straight!! Could it be the shafts??? Enjoy.
[/quote]

I love those grips!
Are they still available anywhere?

[i][quote name='jtarble' timestamp='1349361070' post='5749119']
I have a question: has anyone compared the shorter steel shaft to a shorter graphite? Is it possible the better accuracy everyone is seeing is solely based on the shorter shaft length vs being steel?
[/quote][/i]

[i]I have....... I felt the same way, thinking the length of the shaft was the key. I was wrong. I cut down a rombax from 45" to 43.5" and put in my ZL. Did nothing compared to the steel at 43.5". I currently have my I20 and ZL with X100 DG shafts playing length of 43.5" Wow what a difference!! I did not lose any distance I can see and the dispersion is not even close compared to graphite on both. The original shafts were PX 6.5 in I20 and Oban devotion in ZL...[/i]

[i]I also messed around with swing wt with these clubs. With the I20 I put a tip wt in the steel to bring SW up to D3 (original SW with PX shaft). This made the club feel like a sledge hammer to me. So I pulled the tip wt and just used a X100 tipped 1.25", this took SW to D0. This made a huge difference, feels great and it performs better than ever.... With the ZL I just tipped X100 1.25" and didnt even worry about the SW "number" . It also feels great and performs almost identical to the I20.[/i]

[i]This may be just a honeymoon phase, but at the present time I dont see me going back to graphite ever...[/i]

[i]btw. swing speed with driver is 108-110 on trackman, I also have a quick transition...[/i]

[i]hope this helps[/i]

Wow, I don't (I should) often chime in on threads, but the OP in this thread is a genius. I have always found that I hit shorter heavier shafts more accurate, and usually with no loss of distance. Unfortunately I have however been caught up with the latest and greatest shafts lately and have seen not only my accuracy take a plunge, but my distance hasn't been anything to write home about either. I recently played with a friend who is a bit of a nut :) and he plays wood woods, and hitting those woods with steel shafts was pure magic. Right down the middle with about a 2 yard draw. EVERY TIME!!!!!

Time for me to get a couple of steel shafts to try out in my driver and 3 wood...

Thanks Robo for the sage wisdom!!!!

Elk

14/14 fairways, averaging 265 off the tee for the first round with a DGX100 in the Cleveland Classic. That may not seem all that impressive, but it's 46 degrees and 15-20 mph winds all day here in SW Michigan. Wore out the center of the face, felt so solid all day. I hit driver on holes I had not thought of hitting driver on all year at my home course just because of the confidence it built up in the first 4 holes. Obviously the distance is shorter than normal, but I'm attributing that more to the wind/temperature than the shaft. Can't wait to go to Texas in a week and test it out in "normal golf" temperatures.

Steel may not be for everyone, but good Lord it seems so right for me.

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

[quote name='GolfMonster09' timestamp='1349555185' post='5759483']
14/14 fairways, averaging 265 off the tee for the first round with a DGX100 in the Cleveland Classic. That may not seem all that impressive, but it's 46 degrees and 15-20 mph winds all day here in SW Michigan. Wore out the center of the face, felt so solid all day. I hit driver on holes I had not thought of hitting driver on all year at my home course just because of the confidence it built up in the first 4 holes. Obviously the distance is shorter than normal, but I'm attributing that more to the wind/temperature than the shaft. Can't wait to go to Texas in a week and test it out in "normal golf" temperatures.

[/quote]

Swing speed? I'm starting to think that s200 could be too whippy for me, how much did you tip it?

Just bought a Cleveland Launcher XL270 9° head off ebay for almost nothing. At 192 grams head weight, I'm thinking I will be able to make a driver at least 44 1/2" with a DG steel shaft and still get a proper swingweight. This will be interesting.....

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

[quote name='nicko4' timestamp='1349576878' post='5760563']

[/quote]

Swing speed? I'm starting to think that s200 could be too whippy for me, how much did you tip it?
[/quote]

Normal swing speed with driver is about 118. Obviously can get it up there in the 125 range if i really get after it, but a standard swing is 118 give or take. I tipped it 1 1/4" as DrumDude posted earlier in the thread, and built it to 43.75 total playing length. Not sure on the swingweight, but as cold as it was yesterday it felt as good as it could feel with three layers on. Like I said, I'll have a more "normal" take on it after my trip to Texas, but all signs are pointing to it being a really nice set up.

Bridgestone Tour B XS

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='GolfMonster09' timestamp='1349652776' post='5763055']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Normal swing speed with driver is about 118. Obviously can get it up there in the 125 range if i really get after it, but a standard swing is 118 give or take. I tipped it 1 1/4" as DrumDude posted earlier in the thread, and built it to 43.75 total playing length. Not sure on the swingweight, but as cold as it was yesterday it felt as good as it could feel with three layers on. Like I said, I'll have a more "normal" take on it after my trip to Texas, but all signs are pointing to it being a really nice set up.
[/quote]

How was distance in TX / normal warm conditions?

[quote name='drumdude96' timestamp='1349638038' post='5762321']
Just bought a Cleveland Launcher XL270 9° head off ebay for almost nothing. At 192 grams head weight, I'm thinking I will be able to make a driver at least 44 1/2" with a DG steel shaft and still get a proper swingweight. This will be interesting.....
[/quote]

How did this work out for you?

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1350582011' post='5812355']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually haven't shafted that head up yet. Might get around to it tonight. Maybe.... hard to get anything done when my Cardinals are in the post season.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

FInally got to the course the on Wednesday with my Classic 290 9* w/DG x100. Was even better than I had expected. The magic of hitting fairways started to come back. The harder I was swinging, the straighter the ball flew. Minimal to no distance loss. THis is a keeper and now have a few going into my 3-wood and hybrids.. Thanks guys. This thread has been fantastic!

Gotta say I am a convert of steel wood shafts.

Got a Sonartec SS-3.5 13* head mounted to the end of an untipped X100 shaft, Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip, measuring out to a D2 swingweight. I simply cannot put into words how it performs off the tee. I'll also say that because the shaft is heavier than most, you need to remember not to overswing. Hit the club to a certain distance and swing smooth.

I have a 105-110 driver swingspeed, so I am right in between stiff and x-stiff, that's why I chose to leave the club untipped. And it is perfect. So perfect that I just glued up an X100 driver shaft with an R9/11 tip. :)

20121010_081915.jpg

Gotta say I am a convert of steel wood shafts.

Got a Sonartec SS-3.5 13* head mounted to the end of an untipped X100 shaft, Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip, measuring out to a D2 swingweight. I simply cannot put into words how it performs off the tee. I'll also say that because the shaft is heavier than most, you need to remember not to overswing. Hit the club to a certain distance and swing smooth.

I have a 105-110 driver swingspeed, so I am right in between stiff and x-stiff, that's why I chose to leave the club untipped. And it is perfect. So perfect that I just glued up an X100 driver shaft with an R9/11 tip. :)

20121010_081915.jpg

Your post is really making it hard for me to not run downstairs and do some toying around with a backup SS07 head.

Awesome looking club.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

I purchased a Ping G20 12 degree driver head, installed a Dynamic Gold R300 steel shaft, at a length of 42.5".

Took it to the range last week, and I am absolutely crushing the ball, and very straight!

Honest carry of 200 yards. On the launch monitor at Golftown, I only carry a Project X 6.0 130 yards, for contrast.

I will be 66 years old in a few weeks, looking forward to breaking 80 next spring.

Im about 97-100mph swing and want to test this in my razr fit, i bought a new adaptor and want to install a s300 into it.

How much should i cut/tip it and i want to test it at maybe 43.5 or 43.75 length.

Any suggestions, since im new to the shaft installing thing :).

-------------------
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike vapor flex driver Diamana S+ blueboard stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Cobra bio cell+ 3/4 wood stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike covert flex 5 wood Diamana S+ blueboard stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Cobra bio cell+ 3/4 hybrid stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike vapor pro combo ust recoil 110 5-pw[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike engage square 52 graders wedge ust recoil 110[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike engage toesweep 60 graders wedge ust recoil 110[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike Converge S2-12[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Sun mountain h2no lite[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Okey, so I finally have my steel setup ready for action! :download:
I have allready tried the hybrid. I like it with the 6,5 swing weight :slow_en:
I´m really looking forward to try these out. Awesome thread!

TaylorMade r510tp 9,5 with DG X100 43,75" (tipped 1,25")
Cleveland Launcher 13 with DG S300 42" (tipped 2,75")
Adams A7 19 with DG X100 40" (tipped 1")

[quote name='ROBOPTI' timestamp='1350747852' post='5820893']
blade ... WHAT UP BOY. I like L4 / steel personally. How long was it ???

Gents I just built a brand new RHT / X100 combo last night. Gonna beat on it in a few hours. It looks PERFECT too !!!
[/quote]
Man you gota get up here in the spring OR I may be coming your way in March/April. Built it at 43.75 and just couldn't get it around, I still have it together so may take it back out (was really swinging bad that day too). May try tomorrow, have a game going at 11 so should be good and warm!! I'll let you know.

Old School with a modern twist. Seriously, that is bad arse.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Went out on the course today with my "new" toys, 4 degrees celsius and superwet fairways. Absolutely no roll. Great conditions to bomb hehe :download:
The driver actually felt lighter than I thought it would. I kind of wish that I would have tried it a little longer to start with...But it feels nice anyway. I expected to loose a lot of distance, but that was not the case. I hit it side by side with my Cleveland SL290 with Miyazaki Dromos 72X, and with a good drive the distance was about the same :dntknw:

The 3 would felt very easy to control. Not as forgiving and long as my RBZ but I was hitting nice low stingers :wave:

I need a few more rounds to evaluate. Let´s just hope that the snow stay away for a few more weeks!

[quote name='titleist26' timestamp='1351058202' post='5837699']
yeah I have a tipped s300 in my 910d3. works really well
[/quote]

How much did you tip it, i want to test this in my Razr fit.

-------------------
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike vapor flex driver Diamana S+ blueboard stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Cobra bio cell+ 3/4 wood stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike covert flex 5 wood Diamana S+ blueboard stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Cobra bio cell+ 3/4 hybrid stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike vapor pro combo ust recoil 110 5-pw[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike engage square 52 graders wedge ust recoil 110[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike engage toesweep 60 graders wedge ust recoil 110[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike Converge S2-12[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Sun mountain h2no lite[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1350582011' post='5812355']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Distance and dispersion were both wonderful. Played a few rounds down there, but the two that really stood out were the first two I played. The first day was 93 and 20mph winds. Driver was money. According to the Golf Logix on my phone, I hit 79% of fairways, and the few I missed were only slightly. Distance was good considering winds, but what really surprised me was the performance INTO the wind. The ball didn't balloon into the winds, and rolled once it hit. Averaged 280 throughout the day, with a 344 yard bomb on the 18th (wind aided, up hill)

Day 2 was very much the same, but calmer and cooler conditions. Very easy to work and flight however I wanted, averaged 292 on Golf Logix and missed one fairway.

I will be steel shafting my VR Pro Limited and my fairway and hybrid soon, but with the weather turning to crap here in MI, probably won't have full flight info until next spring. I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread, it has changed my driver/woods game confidence.

Bridgestone Tour B XS

[quote name='jtarble' timestamp='1349361070' post='5749119']
I have a question: has anyone compared the shorter steel shaft to a shorter graphite? Is it possible the better accuracy everyone is seeing is solely based on the shorter shaft length vs being steel?
[/quote]

Hate to do this, but I didn't want you to leave without an answer. Yes, I have been "trying" this for about 15yrs. I play heavy, low torque graphite shafts in all my woods. Drivers are all 43.5 and fairways (3w & 4w)are all 42.5. I still have steel shafted drivers around and the results are pretty much the same with all of them. I just need the graphite to reduce the shock to my hands (arthritis).

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize