2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

NOW THIS !!! IS HOW A CLEVELAND CLASSIC SHOULD LOOK

ROBOPTI

[quote name='ptjn1201' timestamp='1371584551' post='7274946']
Has anybody put a steel shaft and a lighter, graphite shaft in the same driver -- head-to-head (or shaft to shaft as it were) in a Trackman or other launch monitor, just to see what the SS differences are? Steel has been working for me (Dynamic Gold Lite S300) but I've kept it long -- the extra heft feels too good for me. I know a lighter shaft should give you more clubhead speed, but how much? 1-2 mph? 5?
[/quote]
Picking up my DG S300 @ 43.5" for my Anser today. I also have my RIP Phenom 50g (stock length) with a spare Anser tip. Will definitely be swinging both on the range tomorrow.

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's my short term Anser S300 10.5 @ 43.5" review (as in 40 balls on the range)

Flame disclaimer: I'm in Denver....yes I drive it 300 yards.

The good:

-Aim the face, ball goes that way. Prior shaft didn't matter where I was aiming it went everywhere.

- It surprisingly "regular shaft" feeling. I wouldn't even call it stiff.

- Shaft length was a great decision. I think I'm forever out of the 44" or more driver game. My FT 9 played at 43" (im 6'2") and was laser straight. So is this thing. My groupings were 1/4" spread out around the center. With the exception of my superman swings that sent the ball oob.

-Distance! It passed the 3W test. Prior shaft (s) were barely longer. If not the same. My 3 up here goes 260 to 270. Had major balloon issues with the Phenom and Avix. Verified with my Bushnell the majority today carried 280-90 and rolled 10 yards more (into a 10 foot hill that stopped them at 304 yards)

The bad:

-Even at 43.5" the swingweight has to be around D4 or more. I can't see any long range sessions with this thing. May cut another 1/2" off. The majority of my bad swings came at the last few balls of the bucket.

-I think I may be able to go down a degree or two. Still hitting high but with way less spin. I would call this a plus but I don't want to spend any more money to find out if less loft would lower my flight a good 10 or 15 yards. Hate high hangers.

That's it. Will review on the course next.

If it helps I play mine a tad under 43 inches

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

[quote name='JasonFL' timestamp='1372015789' post='7307718']
So here's my short term Anser S300 10.5 @ 43.5" review (as in 40 balls on the range)

The good:

-Aim the face, ball goes that way. Prior shaft didn't matter where I was aiming it went everywhere.

- Shaft length was a great decision. I think I'm forever out of the 44" or more driver game. My FT 9 played at 43" (im 6'2") and was laser straight. So is this thing. My groupings were 1/4" spread out around the center. With the exception of my superman swings that sent the ball oob.

-Distance! It passed the 3W test. Prior shaft (s) were barely longer. If not the same. My 3 up here goes 260 to 270. Had major balloon issues with the Phenom and Avix. Verified with my Bushnell the majority today carried 280-90 and rolled 10 yards more (into a 10 foot hill that stopped them at 304 yards)

The bad:

-Even at 43.5" the swingweight has to be around D4 or more. I can't see any long range sessions with this thing. May cut another 1/2" off. The majority of my bad swings came at the last few balls of the bucket.

-I think I may be able to go down a degree or two. Still hitting high but with way less spin. I would call this a plus but I don't want to spend any more money to find out if less loft would lower my flight a good 10 or 15 yards. Hate high hangers.

[/quote]
Thanks for the side-by-side. I was thinking of trying a counterweight under the grip -- maybe 20-30g to see if it makes a significant difference. That's my job for next month. It's so much easier when you're hitting from the fairways. My short game is still a little inconsistent, but I only had one wild tee shot last time out, and that was a horrific swing. One other drive was in the fairway but a little too far left, so I was blocked out a little by trees, so I had to hit a low runner uphill about 120 yards which skipped over the back of the green. I've never been a guy who hits 10-12 fairways a round, so this has been fun.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

[quote name='ptjn1201' timestamp='1372088816' post='7313180']
[quote name='JasonFL' timestamp='1372015789' post='7307718']

The good:

The bad:

[/quote]
Thanks for the side-by-side. I was thinking of trying a counterweight under the grip -- maybe 20-30g to see if it makes a significant difference. That's my job for next month. It's so much easier when you're hitting from the fairways. My short game is still a little inconsistent, but I only had one wild tee shot last time out, and that was a horrific swing. One other drive was in the fairway but a little too far left, so I was blocked out a little by trees, so I had to hit a low runner uphill about 120 yards which skipped over the back of the green. I've never been a guy who hits 10-12 fairways a round, so this has been fun.
[/quote]
Nice fairways! I'm jealous! And that's also my goal.

Good call on the counter weight! I may do this too. Nicklaus used to do this. Talked with his old fitter in Palm Beach Gardens a few years ago. His drivers were very heavy...but all counter balanced.

So how many guys have done this now? I have a spare 290 I could try this one but as of late Im hitting 10-11 fairways per round and just barely missing on the others. Hitting it 275-325 consistently. The XStiff House of Forged shaft is awesome but I think its more because of gripmaster leather grip :o

IMG_20130609_140156_zps0419eede.jpg

Cleveland Classic 290/House of Forged John Daly XStiff/Gripmaster Leather wrap

Ping i20 3W
Cleveland CG16 Tour Satin Irons
Ping Tour-W 50/56/60 Wedges
Cleveland Classic #2 Putter

So how many guys have done this now? I have a spare 290 I could try this one but as of late Im hitting 10-11 fairways per round and just barely missing on the others. Hitting it 275-325 consistently. The XStiff House of Forged shaft is awesome but I think its more because of gripmaster leather grip :o

IMG_20130609_140156_zps0419eede.jpg

OH YEAH!!!!!!!! GRIPMASTER ROCKS!!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I gave this a shot last fall with a Classic 290 and a X100 but it just felt terrible. I tipped it 1 3/8 inches, FWIW.

But the hoe in me is thinking about giving it another shot, just maybe not with the Classic 290.

Is there a specific head this works best with? Low Spin (Classic)? higher or lower lofts?

Thinking about a Mizuno MP650 or possibly the old Classic B-Stone J33r.

I do have a G20 head sitting here but it doesn't really fit my eye.

Good to see you havent given up Rob

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

[quote name='MrMorganUSC' timestamp='1372697595' post='7363072']
I gave this a shot last fall with a Classic 290 and a X100 but it just felt terrible. I tipped it 1 3/8 inches, FWIW.

But the hoe in me is thinking about giving it another shot, just maybe not with the Classic 290.

Is there a specific head this works best with? Low Spin (Classic)? higher or lower lofts?

[/quote]

Length has been a real issue for many in this experiment. Most find anything over 44" is too cumbersome. I have a 310 with Ti shaft at 43.5" and it is a very nice hitting club. Playing all day with it will tire me out though. I'm an old fart.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

[quote name='ROBOPTI' timestamp='1372703325' post='7363920']
X100 built and ready in a G25/Anser adapter - 43.75

I bet it's the gonna THE SHIZZLE with the Anser

Details as they develop
[/quote]

Kinda wish I took the x100 route with the Anser. The s300 untipped plays a little flimsy.

Its still better than what I had.my shot dispersion is better with no distance lost whatsoever.

Much more stable at impact.

Looking forward to seeing what u think.

[quote name='Ri_Redneck' timestamp='1372783049' post='7371524']

[/quote]

Length has been a real issue for many in this experiment. Most find anything over 44" is too cumbersome. I have a 310 with Ti shaft at 43.5" and it is a very nice hitting club. Playing all day with it will tire me out though. I'm an old fart.

BT
[/quote]

Yea I was playing it at 43.5". Just felt dead. Maybe it was the head.

I will give it another shot with the Mizuno

It took me 3 days to finally read through everything. Im going to embark on turning my beloved L4V into a steel shafted beast. question regarding the sound of the sound. Thea head is loud as hell as is, how does a steel shaft affect the sound, should i through a few cotton balls in there?

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

[quote name='MrMorganUSC' timestamp='1372791466' post='7372632']
[quote name='Ri_Redneck' timestamp='1372783049' post='7371524']

[/quote]

BT
[/quote]

Yea I was playing it at 43.5". Just felt dead. Maybe it was the head.

I will give it another shot with the Mizuno
[/quote]

Maybe, but I get great feel on my classic, Id be more inclined to say it was the unneeded tipping. Many have said just play it straight in. Heck its the same in the graphite world, how many people over tip and complain about feel.................just a thought

Seemore mFGP2 

[quote name='valmario' timestamp='1372866074' post='7380782']
It took me 3 days to finally read through everything. Im going to embark on turning my beloved L4V into a steel shafted beast. question regarding the sound of the sound. Thea head is loud as hell as is, how does a steel shaft affect the sound, should i through a few cotton balls in there?
[/quote]

Not sure but I wouldnt think it would be any louder with steel

Seemore mFGP2 

Currently gaming the Classic (290). If I get the itch to tweak it a bit, what has this thread kind of decided are the best, safest ways? I would want to shorten it definitely and bring up the shaft weight (whether that be steel or a heavier graphite, doesn't matter) to make it feel more stable and increase consistency (probably at the cost of distance, but willing to do so).

[quote name='valmario' timestamp='1372866074' post='7380782']
[/quote]

Keep it loud and proud -- you'll find fairways galore with it.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

Maybe someone has done this but I ain't reading through 26 pages....

Can you guys give a very rough guide to stiffness related to graphite?

I have a driver swing right around 100 and have mainly played stiffs (dabbled with the odd x stiff and I go after it a tad). I'm thinking a stock S300 straight in should be fine right for the driver (R9)?

I tried a SL R300 in the 5 wood (tipped about 1 1/5" and it works great. Everything is just so smooth, and long and straight.

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1

I find that with steel you can get away with a softer shaft WAY easier than with graphite. I swing around 110-115 and can go after an S300 with ZERO issues

Seemore mFGP2 

the best part is you can get like 6 shafts, a mix of flexes, tip them all differently, and still not spend half the price of a decent graphite shaft...........................

Seemore mFGP2 

My MP650 should be here on Monday. Wish that was today but the 4th pushed it back a day.

I am thinking that I am going to start out with my X100 untipped and butt cutt it to 43.75 or 43.5 (see what the swingweight comes to), see how that goes. If I feel like it should be tipped, I will pull that shaft and tip the next one (bought 3 x100's) 1.25 and but cutt it to the correct length....see how that goes.

If that goes well, I will tip the first shaft and put it in my MP650 3 wood.

If it fails again (tried this back in Sept. with a 290) I have a Xcaliber 6+ TS that I recently bought that I will put in the driver and put the Epic T90x back in the 3 wood (which I like).

I got this figured out.

Dont worry about SW, just got hit it :)

Seemore mFGP2 

[quote name='MrMorganUSC' timestamp='1373039193' post='7392920']
[quote name='PixlPutterman ' timestamp='1373037286' post='7392676']
[/quote]

I will worry about SW and you will like it.
[/quote][quote name='MrMorganUSC' timestamp='1373039193' post='7392920']
[quote name='PixlPutterman ' timestamp='1373037286' post='7392676']
[/quote]

I will worry about SW and you will like it.
[/quote]

These are not the swing weight points you are looking for..............

Seemore mFGP2 

When people say it plays 43" is that the total lenght of club from top of grip to sole of club or is it just the shaft lenght. I have a spare tour authentic ft9 head and am thinking of getting a steel shaft for it.

Callaway great big bertha driver
Callaway xr hybrid
Callaway xr irons 4/AW
Callaway mack daddy 3 wedge 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Various putters
Snell MTB

[quote name='Tab373' timestamp='1373109544' post='7397170']
When people say it plays 43" is that the total lenght of club from top of grip to sole of club or is it just the shaft lenght. I have a spare tour authentic ft9 head and am thinking of getting a steel shaft for it.
[/quote]

They are talking about the length from the bottom of the clubhead to the end of the grip cap in most cases.

Grew up on steel shafts......I even have a Spalding 2 iron w/fiberglass coated steel shaft.......it was my go to club for many years.

If you have the SS, steel will always be more accurate.

I don't, so I chose PX 5.5's for my irons and hybrids.

And with a steel plate and 13 screws in my left wrist I can't handle the vibration. If I could game steel I would.

Cobra King LTD driver @12* w/Paderson Kinetix Green IMRT shaft
Cobra Bio Cell 3-4W - 16*
Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid - 19*
Cobra King F6 4-GW w/Matrix Red Tie graphite
Bellum Winmore 707 Putter 33"
Snell MTB & Bridgestone B330RX