Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Orlimar1' timestamp='1373334770' post='7413478']
[quote name='Ri_Redneck' timestamp='1373334214' post='7413412']
[quote name='PixlPutterman ' timestamp='1373295848' post='7408610']
There is the the NV105, but is that heavy enough
[/quote]

I tried the NV105 S in a 205gm driver head and it felt firmer than any steel shaft I have ever used.

BT
[/quote]

How did it work out for you. I have a couple of them at home.
[/quote]

Didn't like it. Which I found really strange because I like the NV 95S.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I had good luck with the s300 tipped 0.75" in an old FT-9 head at 43.75. But about a month ago on a par 5 the head flew off about 30 yards left on my release (damn you golf galaxy). It took me about 5-10 minutes to find it in the tall reeds. I've since gotten an r1 black in stock stiff and haven't looked back. I do still think steel is a good option. and might want to add an r1 tip to my s300 to try it out again.

[quote name='annisoren' timestamp='1373568002' post='7433274']
Anyone know where I can get a steel shaft with Anser tip installed? Neither my local shop nor Ping will do this. Thanks in advance.
[/quote]
They, the local shop, may be under the impression it is a plastic tip.

Pga superstore did mine. If you don't have a spare tip pick one up at billy bobs.

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

[quote name='Ri_Redneck' timestamp='1373584470' post='7435252']
[quote name='Orlimar1' timestamp='1373334770' post='7413478']
[quote name='Ri_Redneck' timestamp='1373334214' post='7413412']
[quote name='PixlPutterman ' timestamp='1373295848' post='7408610']
There is the the NV105, but is that heavy enough
[/quote]

I tried the NV105 S in a 205gm driver head and it felt firmer than any steel shaft I have ever used.

BT
[/quote]

How did it work out for you. I have a couple of them at home.
[/quote]

Didn't like it. Which I found really strange because I like the NV 95S.

BT
[/quote]

Bummer! I was hoping for good things from it for you.

So I walked into Dick's Sporting Goods the other night and there was a DGS300 sitting there for $9.99. I bought it thinking of this thread and wondering what went wrong the first time on this. Well I think I have it figured out. Length, length and length. I'm a "strong" player and had my last version with steel at 44.25 inches and thought it would be ok for me. This time, I wasn't so foolish. I tipped the shaft to the middle of driver and 3 wood spec and put it in an old Ashton X1 7.5* head which has a 2 inch bore, cut it to 43 inches and slapped a Jumbo Crossline on it. I headed to the range and actually didn't get the first ball off the ground, GREAT START! I then proceeded to hit rockets, much lower than my usual flight, on a point and shoot basis. I decided to see if I could flight the ball and it was like the good ole days, whatever I wanted I got. AMAZING. I went to the course the next day, the results were the same. I kept my gamer in the bag, on tight fairways and into the wind, I used the Ashton, I didn't miss a fairway with it. The ball just goes were you aim it. Down wind, more wide open shots I just used my standard driver. I didn't hit them side by side to compare distance, but it was by no means short. I was playing with a guy who was consistently about 10 yards behind me, it didn't really matter which driver I hit, it was the same. He thought he killed one, I hit mine and got it good, not great and still went by him. I was really impressed.

Word of warning, I thought I was a big shot, 118mph driver SS, I used the X100 the first time around and it was not the right shaft for me, the S300 is money. If you are questioning it, go softer! You can still control it and actually feel the head.

I think that is why graphite works for a lot of people. because doesnt work for a lot of people playing over 43 inches, IMO.

Im thinking of taking mine down to 42.5 :)

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Yesterday I put in a DG X100 sensicore tipped 1,5" in my Anser 9,5 driver. Playing at 43,75" and D4 sw.
Went out on the course for a few holes and ended up pretty much on the same spots where my standard drives goes.
(110 club speed and usually have a ahina 70 X in it.) [size=4]Medium/high launch for me with a controlled draw. Will try ity for a whole round today. Awesome combo! [/size] :clapping:[size=4] [/size]

Hi all, I'm about to send my classic to a clubbuilder to do this but I have a couple of questions.

With a swing speed of 100mph should I go S300 or R300 - seems like you guys are saying go softer rather than firmer for these?

If I want to go 43" like many are suggesting (untipped) is that the length of the finished club? or the length of the shaft inserted in the head?

I am 6'2" - does that that have any impact? will the lie of the club be weird with a 43" shaft and will that effect anything?

Thanks again for your help.

Being 6'2" you could start at 44 inchs (thats total playing length) and work down from there in 1/4 inch increments to 43 to find a good length for you.

As for S300 or R300 it really depends on your swing and transition, but its correct that you can get away with going down in flex FAR easier with steel than graphite, simply because of the shaft weight really helps quiet the hands no matter what the flex is

Seemore mFGP2 

If you are used to R300 then go with that in the driver IMO, You gotta put a ton of weight in the head to start worrying about over flex issues

Seemore mFGP2 

Looking forward to your hopeful happiness :)

Seemore mFGP2 

So an update on my try at this. I have an Adams 9088UL 9.5* shafted with a True Temper tipped to an R+ at 43.5". It took a couple range sessions to get the feel but now I'm knocking out 260yds straight as an arrow or baby fade all day. About 15yds shorter than my Classic 290 with stock stiff shaft but the difference is the stability and repeatability. I feel like I could close my eyes and swing this thing. And the harder I go after it the better it performs. The dispersion must be 15-20 yds, which is good for me as the driver is where I struggle. Thanks Robo. Good looking out.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Just got a 310 8.5* head off of the BST, have a .350 X100 en route to put in it. Kind of excited! Gonna start at 44" and go from there...

TaylorMade M5 10.5* Atmos Black 6x TS
TaylorMade M5 15* Pro 2.0 7x
915Hd 2H & 3H Speeder 904HB X
TaylorMade P790, 4-P DG 105 Stiff
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50SB, 54SB, 60 Hi Toe
TaylorMade DJ Spider 34" UST Frequency Filtered
TP5X

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped by Vans to see if they had any steel shafts in stock. They pretty much laughed me out the door. Said the fitter wasn't in and he would be the guy to talk to but they dont know why I would want to do this haha. They don't have anything over 40" in steel so I will have to buy something and bring it in

Low 100s driver head speed with a Miyazaki 43S, which shaft should I be looking at?

Cleveland Classic 290/House of Forged John Daly XStiff/Gripmaster Leather wrap

Ping i20 3W
Cleveland CG16 Tour Satin Irons
Ping Tour-W 50/56/60 Wedges
Cleveland Classic #2 Putter

[quote name='Jefe21' timestamp='1375719885' post='7608468']
Stopped by Vans to see if they had any steel shafts in stock. They pretty much laughed me out the door. Said the fitter wasn't in and he would be the guy to talk to but they dont know why I would want to do this haha. They don't have anything over 40" in steel so I will have to buy something and bring it in

Low 100s driver head speed with a Miyazaki 43S, which shaft should I be looking at?
[/quote]

If one believes in DSFI published by Hireko (and formerly Dynacraft), one can do something along these lines:

In Chapter 5, they list coefficients you can use to match up your swingspeed at a given length to a different given length. They tested steel at 43", and I'm assuming your low 100s was done at 45", if not more. I'll just go with 45" for the sake of this.

The coefficient they show for +2" is 1.075. In order to take a 45" swingspeed and apply it to a DSFI rating at 43", we divide the SS by 1.075. I used 103 for example, that gets us to 95.

After that, we can apply a tempo modifier. If you have an average tempo, they suggest between .92 and .97. I used .95 for this, multiplied by the 95 above, I get 91.

Looking at DSFI ratings for Dynamic Gold wood shafts, DGR300 is 88, and DGS300 is 94 (as a side note, these ratings were calculated using 1" tipping of the wood shaft). Because there are 2" of tip section between each flex in Dynamic Gold, one could presume you could either use an untipped DGS, or tip DGR an extra inch over the 1" standard bore tipping.

Or something like that.

edit: if your tempo varies significantly from "medium" we might have to slide that up or down a bit. ;)

another edit: like a moron, I neglected to deal with the potential club length you'd be looking at. If you're going to make your club longer than 43" at around D1, the above changes slightly, as well...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

GANG ....

Trust me !!!!! - Get a Cleveland Classic and do THIS !!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD IS IT GOOD !!!!!!!! worthy.gif

cls1.jpg

cls2.jpg

cls3.jpg

cls4.jpg

party-smiley-020.gif***** STEEL SHAFTED BABY *****party-smiley-020.gif

Probably only you old to quasi-old farts will truly remember / appreciate this. But I thought

thinking2.gif ... "SELF - Why not"

Guys - This feels so good it's stupid. 1st - (I'll elaborate later) - The Classic IS !!!! the lowest spinning head I have ever hit PERIOD - and rediculously long .. I have 2 now. This is a 7.5 head pictured.

But gang .. I CANNOT stress enough how smooth this feels - it's CRAZY STABLE - and oh wow .. man ... its just works .. it does ... I LOVE IT !!!! .. I AM putting a steel shaft one of my ZLEs just to try. But man I can't get over what a killer combo this is

This is a 205 gram 7.5 head - and an X100 DGX shaft - tipped one inch - 43 3/4 inches. And it's MINE !!!

Yeah .. All the super-techno-carbon-woven-tri weave this-nano tube-litium infused-bionic bend point that-gi joe with the kung fu grip shafts are awesome ...

BUT I love steel !!!!! ... LOVE .... It just ooozes confidence on the tee box ... and it BOMBS !!!

thbananamac.gifgandalf.gifgandalf.gif

I am going to try a slightly higher loft in the EXACT same configuration.

OK ... Back to your regularly scheduled programming ...

help.giftv_horror.giftv_horror.gif

Is this set up longer than your cobra l4v?

[quote name='fochs13' timestamp='1375759011' post='7613382']
is this set up longer than your cobra l4v?
[/quote]

With steel .. Not even close. The Classic blows the L4 away. If I am honest with myself. The Classic (for me) is one of the longest heads I own. I am a spinnier hitter now. And the Classic NOTICABLY knocks spin off the ball. The L4 is much more forgiving - but Classic is good enuf. I have had a few driving days with Classic that just made me scratch my head - but when the wheels come off with Classic - its not pretty (for me)

That being said ... I just started banging on an Anser with steel ... WOW ... That is a KILLER combo. Just KILLER low spin rockets. Details as they develop.

[quote name='ROBOPTI' timestamp='1375798466' post='7615456']
[quote name='fochs13' timestamp='1375759011' post='7613382']
is this set up longer than your cobra l4v?
[/quote]

With steel .. Not even close. The Classic blows the L4 away. If I am honest with myself. The Classic (for me) is one of the longest heads I own. I am a spinnier hitter now. And the Classic NOTICABLY knocks spin off the ball. The L4 is much more forgiving - but Classic is good enuf. I have had a few driving days with Classic that just made me scratch my head - but when the wheels come off with Classic - its not pretty (for me)

That being said ... I just started banging on an Anser with steel ... WOW ... That is a KILLER combo. Just KILLER low spin rockets. Details as they develop.
[/quote]

I just picked up an i15 9.5* with X100 at 43.75". Excited to give it a try. I'm hitting my gamer really well so it will be fun to compare!

Taylormade - M2 10.5* / Motore F3
Taylormade - Jetspeed 15* / Diamana D+
Nike - VR Pro 2, 4 thru PW / RIP Tour, PX
Nike - Engage 54*
Cleveland - 588 Custom 60*
Taylormade - Ghost Tour Daytona 62

Stopped by a local golf shop and they placed an order for some steel shafts for me to try out. Said it should be like $30-40 installed. They come in Friday and they will call to have me come by. Cant wait! Trying this on my 9* 290 Classic. Depending on how it performs, I may be selling my 10.5* 290 Classic with the House of Forged XStiff shaft

Cleveland Classic 290/House of Forged John Daly XStiff/Gripmaster Leather wrap

Ping i20 3W
Cleveland CG16 Tour Satin Irons
Ping Tour-W 50/56/60 Wedges
Cleveland Classic #2 Putter

As long as my 905S/V2, swingweighted dead nuts on same as the 905, and knocked off 200 RPM. Same traj, same shape, same distance on the LM. Taking it to the range and course tomorrow...

My Cleveland Classic 310 8.5 deg w/ .350 tip DG X100 tipped 2 1/2" :)

02016105-AE94-48FE-AA3D-BDF800960258-3624-00000620E88CEF39_zpsbb621a45.jpg

TaylorMade M5 10.5* Atmos Black 6x TS
TaylorMade M5 15* Pro 2.0 7x
915Hd 2H & 3H Speeder 904HB X
TaylorMade P790, 4-P DG 105 Stiff
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50SB, 54SB, 60 Hi Toe
TaylorMade DJ Spider 34" UST Frequency Filtered
TP5X

I wonder if a xl270 head would be a good candidate for a steel shaft conversion.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

The 270 head is a little lighter than the 290 & 310, I think they're supposed to spec out at 193g vs. 198g. You can give it a try and you can always slap some lead tape on there if you need to, and then hotmelt or cotton ball when you get the weight that feels right.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

Yeah I was thinking that it might be too light. I might try it out and see what happens.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

[quote name='Newc' timestamp='1375898850' post='7625364']
Sounds like some of you guys are recommending to go softer with the steel shaft. If I play S300s in my irons should I stick with the S300 for the driver and just not tip it or would it be smarter to go down to a R300 and tip it per driver recommendations??
[/quote]

There's no blanket answer. Not everyone has the same gap in swingspeed between their driver and irons. Not everyone swings with driver the same way they do with irons.

Another aspect is that DG as a wood shaft isn't as stiff as DG tapered shafts are in irons, so you can't just easily cross reference between the two.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors