2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

So I went to the range early this morning for a quick practice session. My club has a few mini-tour players that I've gotten friendly with and I spotted 3 of them warming up on the range, I said hi and started my workout a little bit away from them. An older gentlemen walked in and threw his stuff down a little close for comfort next to me. He hit 4 balls with his driver that barely passed 140 and were screaming hooks. Then he put his driver in his bag and started walking up and down the range trying to find the beginners and giving them swing advice.

He must have stopped behind 5-6 people before he got to the mini-tour players and had the stones to tell them their ball flights and swings were garbage and needed work. They are all +3-4's and he stood behind them for 15 minutes trying to give swing advice. These guys are really nice so they just humored him for the time frame but I'm not sure I would have had the patience.

[quote name='SterlingArcher' timestamp='1438523082' post='12063566']
So I went to the range early this morning for a quick practice session. My club has a few mini-tour players that I've gotten friendly with and I spotted 3 of them warming up on the range, I said hi and started my workout a little bit away from them. An older gentlemen walked in and threw his stuff down a little close for comfort next to me. He hit 4 balls with his driver that barely passed 140 and were screaming hooks. Then he put his driver in his bag and started walking up and down the range trying to find the beginners and giving them swing advice.

He must have stopped behind 5-6 people before he got to the mini-tour players and had the stones to tell them their ball flights and swings were garbage and needed work. They are all +3-4's and he stood behind them for 15 minutes trying to give swing advice. These guys are really nice so they just humored him for the time frame but I'm not sure I would have had the patience.
[/quote]

In Boston? What range do you go to? I haven't found any decent enough that mini tour players would be around.

[center] Titleist 915D2 8.5* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di6s
Titleist 915F 15* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di7s[/center]
[center] Titleist 915H 21* - Aldila Rogue 85 S
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour S
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*F, 56*S, 60*K - KBS Hi-Rev S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/center]

[center][url="http://invite.golfmat.ch/m/I6G4g3MqEn"]Find me on GolfMatch App.[/url] - TJ O[/center]

One of my brother's friends went to the range with us about a month ago. He rarely plays golf, but likes to hang out and talk about it some. We were at a range that had a metal roof extending a little past the matts. He repeatedly hit his driver straight up off of the metal roof, which attracted the attention of pretty much everyone there. The guy turns to my brother after about the fourth one and says, "I think this driver has too much loft for me. It keeps going into the roof." The guy was dead serious. I looked down the line at the range and there were guys just losing it with laughter. My brother's buddy asked what the hell they were laughing at, which led me to lose it as well.

Ping G25 AD DI 7s
TaylorMade Burner 07 FW
Adams Super 9031 3H Proto
TaylorMade Burner 4H
Ping I20 5-U
Ping Glide 54 WS and 58 ES
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant

[quote name='tjo106' timestamp='1438530832' post='12064156']
[quote name='SterlingArcher' timestamp='1438523082' post='12063566']

[/quote]

In Boston? What range do you go to? I haven't found any decent enough that mini tour players would be around.
[/quote]

I belong to a club north of the city. This guy was a member I've never seen before.

Our range is double sided so I practice on the staff side, so I'm never bothered. But when I observe the bossman give a lesson I always hear the 30 handicap giving the 40 handicap a lesson. The blind leading the blind and deaf

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1438571411' post='12067542']
Our range is double sided so I practice on the staff side, so I'm never bothered. But when I observe the bossman give a lesson I always hear the 30 handicap giving the 40 handicap a lesson. The blind leading the blind and deaf
[/quote]

I'm so confused...... Are you a pro at your club? Is that why you're using the staff side? And your head pro is a 30 cap? Is that what I'm reading?

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Years ago when I was around 15 I was getting a lesson off a local coach. Just about to start the round and this dude walk up carrying his big Mizuno tour bag, my coach knew him and stopped and said "I have a young man here learning the game learning the game, give him an idea about how to practice on the range" he goes on to say "well I start with wedge and gradually work my way up to driver blah blah blah". The dude went up to his space and my coach said "he's a good player, that's the right way to practice".

We're only about 10 minutes in to our lesson well all I can hear is PING, PING, PING and the guy is just unleashing driver after driver, it was kinda awkward because I looked a my coach and he just had that silent aware look on his face, the guy was after making him look like an idiot. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH MY FRIEND.

[quote name='TJ_Hooker' timestamp='1438621006' post='12070134']
Years ago when I was around 15 I was getting a lesson off a local coach. Just about to start the round and this dude walk up carrying his big Mizuno tour bag, my coach knew him and stopped and said "I have a young man here learning the game learning the game, give him an idea about how to practice on the range" he goes on to say "well I start with wedge and gradually work my way up to driver blah blah blah". The dude went up to his space and my coach said "he's a good player, that's the right way to practice".

We're only about 10 minutes in to our lesson well all I can hear is PING, PING, PING and the guy is just unleashing driver after driver, it was kinda awkward because I looked a my coach and he just had that silent aware look on his face, the guy was after making him look like an idiot. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH MY FRIEND.
[/quote]

You should start with a wedge and work your way up, but don't pay attention to me right now where I ignore that rule of thumb and smash drivers off the tee for an hour...

After reading this thread I try to incorporate as many of these as I can when I'm at the range. When with my girl I always call her "babe" (she instantly knows I'm messing around case I never call her babe), I tell whomever I'm with how far I just hit it, I make bets with whomever I'm with about hitting it out of the range, etc etc. Oh, and crazy excuses like, "this glove is too loose" or "I'm working on a new rotation technique" or "I can never hit when its humid" or "I can hit it a lot farther when its humid, bet I just carried that 290"

So, if you're in MN and you hear someone talking all kinds of crazy stuff with all PING gear, thats me! And yes, I'm doing it to mess with people.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

[quote name='Shawn Paul' timestamp='1438623956' post='12070458']
After reading this thread I try to incorporate as many of these as I can when I'm at the range. When with my girl I always call her "babe" (she instantly knows I'm messing around case I never call her babe), I tell whomever I'm with how far I just hit it, I make bets with whomever I'm with about hitting it out of the range, etc etc. Oh, and crazy excuses like, "this glove is too loose" or "I'm working on a new rotation technique" or "I can never hit when its humid" or "I can hit it a lot farther when its humid, bet I just carried that 290"

So, if you're in MN and you hear someone talking all kinds of crazy stuff with all PING gear, thats me! And yes, I'm doing it to mess with people.
[/quote]

Did you also try pooping your pants (post #1183 above)?

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1438638074' post='12071882']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's in the arsenal now my friend!

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

[quote name='Shawn Paul' timestamp='1438638657' post='12071940']
It's in the arsenal now my friend!
[/quote]

Mind telling us the name of the range you frequent so we can avoid it? :busted_cop:

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1438607305' post='12068770']
[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1438571411' post='12067542']
[/quote]

I'm so confused...... Are you a pro at your club? Is that why you're using the staff side? And your head pro is a 30 cap? Is that what I'm reading?
[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion, yes I am a pro hence being able to use the staff side. My boss is absolutely not a 30 cap, he can shoot par after not playing for a month. What I meant to say is that from time to time he'll give a lesson on the front (public) tee and I always here someone telling their friend really terrible advice.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1438638074' post='12071882']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It really would be next level. I'd applaud such audacity.

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1437756301' post='12012886']
[quote name='JohnSimon' timestamp='1437755591' post='12012828']
Years ago, when Tiger was in his prime, I heard a guy say, "Tiger is so dialed in for yardages and accuracy that he doesn't hit his irons at the flag because his ball will hit the flagstick and bounce who knows where."

[b]I was pretty stunned and really wondered where he would have heard that.[/b]
[/quote]

I would assume in a Nike equipment thread on Golfwrx.
[/quote]

From "The Big Miss"

"He hit the 50 -yard sign four times in a row, the hundred-yard-sign three times in a row, and the 150-yard sign on his first shot. In the midst of it, I made him laugh when I said, "It's always a good sign when you're hitting sh*t." I jokingly told Steve that on shots around 100 yards he should remind Tiger to aim right or left of the pin. Sure enough, on the third hole Tiger's wedge hit the pin and bounced off the green."

I not saying he did though.

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1438762536' post='12081582']
[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1437756301' post='12012886']
[quote name='JohnSimon' timestamp='1437755591' post='12012828']
Years ago, when Tiger was in his prime, I heard a guy say, "Tiger is so dialed in for yardages and accuracy that he doesn't hit his irons at the flag because his ball will hit the flagstick and bounce who knows where."

[b]I was pretty stunned and really wondered where he would have heard that.[/b]
[/quote]

I would assume in a Nike equipment thread on Golfwrx.
[/quote]

From "The Big Miss"

"He hit the 50 -yard sign four times in a row, the hundred-yard-sign three times in a row, and the 150-yard sign on his first shot. In the midst of it, I made him laugh when I said, "It's always a good sign when you're hitting sh*t." I jokingly told Steve that on shots around 100 yards he should remind Tiger to aim right or left of the pin. Sure enough, on the third hole Tiger's wedge hit the pin and bounced off the green."

I not saying he did though.
[/quote]

I hit the 100 yard sign twice in a row the other day. Debating between Monday qualifying at the next tour stop or just starting by aiming away from pins and seeing how it goes.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

At the course on Sunday I overheard a man in his 50's telling his playing partners the "secret" to the golf swing - holding your breath for the duration of the swing. His reasoning is that if you exhale or inhale during your swing, your shoulders drop or rise resulting in a hook or slice. He then demonstrated his swing holding his breath, and then without holding his breath (made an obvious intentionally bad swing). His playing partners were like....."yeah...sure, whatever you say"

Taylormade M3 10.5 /HZRDS 6.5X
Titleist 913fd 15
Taylormade GAPR Mid 3
Titleist 716MB 7-PW
Titleist 716CB 4-6

Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Tel3 Newport

Bridgestone Tour B X

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1438175795' post='12040392']
[quote name='KimSeHo' timestamp='1438173490' post='12040196']
"Don't use blades! They suck! These days even PGA tour players aren't using blades and are converting to GI irons"

Like what the f
[/quote]

Ehhhhhh, relatively true. Isn't it something like less than 25% of the PGA Tour players at this point using a true bladed iron?
[/quote]25 % of tour players but 52% of wrxers use blades...

[/list]

Just heard this on the range yesterday. Couple of guys next to me start talking. First thing comes out of Guy A's mouth is, "I hit my longest drive ever in a scramble last weekend." Guy B, "Oh yeah, how far?" Guy A, " About 415 yards." It was hard to restrain my self from laughing. Guy A finally gets up to hit some balls. He grabs driver and struggles to hit it over 200 yards and has a 50 yard slice.

Was at the range earlier this week, and had my headphones in before getting to the ball machine but overheard some guy(mid 50s) yelling at another guy(late 60s). Took out my headphones and turns out the guy yelling was giving a lesson. Not sure if he's the pro, just works there, or what... What I got from it was the student asked a question and "instructor" went off scolding him and yelling stuff like " I don't care what you heard, you better do it my way" and " No, your not allowed to ask ME questions, do it the way I just told you".

Can't give you the same affect through here, but I was pretty disgusted with what I heard. Probably the rudest thing I've seen at the range. That day the range wasn't as packed as it usually is but still a decent amount of people around including kids. I let it go, but have been debating if I should've stepped in a said something. How are you suppose to learn without asking questions...? Lol

I go to a range by the airport in Baltimore. There are a couple of "experts" who hang out there (don't you people have homes!!).

Anyway, I was walking down the range after getting my bucket of balls from the machine, and one of the regulars was excitedly telling his buddy:

"I've found the secret, and I think it works!"

I was at the range on the weekend. A guy set up in the stall next to me. Didn't notice anything at first, then I thought he was speaking to me. Turns out, he was speaking to himself, foreign language. He would turn to his bag, say a few sentences and then announce in English in a loud voice: "7 Iron!". He would then hit some shots, turn to the bag, change clubs, talk to the bag and say "3 wood!" And continue hitting.

Strangest thing I've seen/heard in a while.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

[quote name='ebk' timestamp='1439345080' post='12120784']
[quote name='jrhyno' timestamp='1439338154' post='12120002']
"I've found the secret, and I think it works!"
[/quote]

Classic.

Question: if you find "the secret" and then share it with someone, it's no longer a secret. So, does that mean it won't work any more?
[/quote]
Yes. Yes it does.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x