New Contracts confirmed

MCoz

People tend to secretly idolize players in whatever respective genre they wish to excel at. Golfers are possibly the worst, since golf is a glamorous sport that's highly accessible to the masses.

Back to the point... people will find a player or two that they identify with in terms of playing style. Whether that be existing skill or skill they want to develop, a lot of golfers do it. The end result is that a lot of people will try out the clubs that this player uses. Do they buy them? No. I'd be a liar if I ever said I didn't see so-and-so swinging the new irons and check the demo rack at Golf Smith the next time I went in.

I've had a blade-crush on my Prototype irons for a long while, and I've bagged them for several years now. Did Mickelson (who is one of my favorite players and a lefty) have an effect on me buying them? No. Running into a lefty at my local course who had a set & let me take some swings finished off my patience and finalized the opening my wallet... Phil playing them didn't help matters, though! ;)

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Els to Adams: remember guys, the Adams contract will be very flexible. Most of the guys playing Adams on the Senior Tour only have 1-2 Adams clubs in the bag! My guess is Ernie's bag will be 80% TaylorMade.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

[quote name='Zach Heusser' timestamp='1383925325' post='8119328']
[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1383873465' post='8117318']
[quote name='tommyrobson' timestamp='1383869852' post='8117020']
Callaway locking up Ishikawa and Manny makes sense economically for those who are wondering why they would bother with signing both these players.

Ishikawa is HUGE in Japan. Japanese golfers pay unheard of amounts of money for golf clubs. I won't add those together for you guys, should make sense.

Mannasero's signing does the same thing for Callaway but in Italy. It is also probably a bet by Callaway that Manny will get big soon and would rather pay now then after its happened.
[/quote]

Exactly.

At the Fry's tournament, Matsuyama, as the next big thing in Japan, had a press following that was not quite Tigeresque but definitely Phil like. While Ishikawa's star has lost a little of its lustre, he still had a noticeable following as well.

Even if Manassero isn't the next Rory, if he were to become the next Monty in terms of European success it would be a good signing for Callaway.
[/quote]
If Manassero goes on the win the Order of Merit ten times and dethrones Monty as Europe's best Ryder Cup player it will have been a huge signing. But I'm not sure he's going to get anywhere near Monty's career.... Seems like a good young player though.
[/quote]
I agree with you and wasn't trying to suggest he'd get there. But if he turns out to be a consistent winner and stalwart on the European Tour it will still be a good pickup for Callaway. Maybe I should have used Westwood as an example.

[quote name='ohcanada17' timestamp='1383926062' post='8119394']
Rumors about a GOOD Titleist player going to TaylorMade too..... I hoping on this one to be true!
[/quote]

Why? Does it change your life in some way? Or does it validate your equipment choice?

It's all interesting stuff, but I never quite get the cheering for a player moving from one brand to another, or the jilted feeling some seem to get when a player moves.

For the player and the sponsor they're first and foremost buisness decisions, not emotional ones.

Everyone trying to guess the new tmag signing. Callaway to tmag I mean, pretty easy to guess it,right! It's either Scott,Phil,Rose,or Duf. Now,let's take away the obvious. Rose still playing tmag. Duf isn't Callaway. Scott isn't Callaway either. Only leaves one who recently changed drivers. Unless it a previous major winner,but op didn't say that.

[quote name='NWAgolf27' timestamp='1383932360' post='8119870']
[quote name='specimania' timestamp='1383864582' post='8116670']
Rumor has it rose to callaway as TM hasn't resigned him
[/quote]That would be crazy for TM not to resign him!! He just won the US Open. He was playing his TM equipment in Turkey w/ Tiger this morning.
[/quote]

Op said all but Perez was using their old stuff today.

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1383931867' post='8119836']
Rumors about a GOOD Titleist player going to TaylorMade too..... I hoping on this one to be true!
[/quote]

Why? Does it change your life in some way? Or does it validate your equipment choice?

It's all interesting stuff, but I never quite get the cheering for a player moving from one brand to another, or the jilted feeling some seem to get when a player moves.

For the player and the sponsor they're first and foremost buisness decisions, not emotional ones.
[/quote]Because almost no other sport than golf does it matter what equipment a player uses.

Sure, there's the whole Air Jordan thing for basketball... And yes, there are people that buy equipment and feel validated for doing so solely BECAUSE a certain golfer uses them. I feel sorry for them.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[/quote]That would be crazy for TM not to resign him!! He just won the US Open. He was playing his TM equipment in Turkey w/ Tiger this morning.
[/quote]

The players are under contract till Dec 31st usually...they will not be playing anything from a new company till then if they are signed with someone else.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='chocolatte' timestamp='1383920883' post='8118950']
Callaway spending twice the money to get Manny!? That is ridiculous. Manny is a solid young player who seems quite likable. But I never see the star quality in him. Maybe I am wrong. Looks like the new Callaway strategy is to spend big money on star/young players like Nike, and shorten product cycle like TM.
[/quote]
It is interesting isn't it? Other OEM's are shaking their heads. While he is a very fine player and good guy, he is a Euro Tour guy and not considered a good investment for world play due to limitations in his game. Many would like him to be art of their "team" but not as a Major player which Callaway is doing. I hope he gets more attention with his play. Callaway is being very aggressive and this shows that they are not just going after the big bomber long drivers as they did last year.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

I'm pretty sure it isn't Phil. He was in Vegas a few weeks ago for their 2014 product shoot. From the pics we saw he figures prominently in that. No way they fly him out there and have him in all those ads, just to have to reshoot them all in 2 months after he switches. Not gonna happen.

As for Nike, club sales have never been their thing. Its been a priority for NIke golf, but not the #1. Look historically, clubs even at the height of Tiger mania in the late 90's early 2000s were never huge. For them its all about the apparel, socks, shoes and hats. Thats what they are selling and they are selling a ton of. Without # I am pretty confident that they are #1 by far in the golf appareal and shoes category. And it takes a whole lot less RD to make a shirt and sell if for $60 then it does for a $400 driver. Nike is paying for the brand and apparel sales, not club sales. Nike is about representing winners. They try to equate winning with the Nike brand. Club sales are just icing on the cake for them.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

Okay, a few follow ups:
The Cally to TMAG player has been referenced early on and it is not Philly Mic. I know nothing of him going anywhere, I believe he is still under contract. Plus he has some good personal relations with the company. Any changes there would be stunning.
It is interesting to see very different motives in signing certain players among the major OEMs. Clearly Nike is very different than Callaway because they are a multi-level one brand company where Callaway is a one brand golf-only company. TMAG is also different because of their different brands under one umbrella. Ping would be more like Callaway only privately owned. Acushnet is a multi-brand Golf only company. TMAG can have players under two clubs, shoes and two clothing companies which are not necessarily just golf.
Ernie's signing maybe the sign of more to come. Bags with multiple companies clubs. So for those who want certain clubs can do so although they may not be able to have multiple club endorsements. So don't be surprised to see players with TM driver with Adams fwys and utilities with mizuno irons callaway or Cleveland wedges and an Acushnet ball, shoe and glove contract (which they can have for $$$) all in a corporate logo'd bag and hat.
By the way if anyone cares John Rollins is leaving Srixon, I think it is for Callaway also.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='m_schroeds' timestamp='1383923408' post='8119148']
Think Matteo will switch from his SC to an Odyssey? Will most of these guys be signing full bag deals? What is the most common contract setup for the higher profile players?
[/quote]For sure. It will be easier to switch from a putter houshold name to another houshold name.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1383934048' post='8119988']
I'm pretty sure it isn't Phil. He was in Vegas a few weeks ago for their 2014 product shoot. From the pics we saw he figures prominently in that. No way they fly him out there and have him in all those ads, just to have to reshoot them all in 2 months after he switches. Not gonna happen.

[/quote]Plus he just did a Callaway Talks with Harry.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1383935674' post='8120082']
Okay, a few follow ups:
The Cally to TMAG player has been referenced early on and it is not Philly Mic. I know nothing of him going anywhere, I believe he is still under contract. Plus he has some good personal relations with the company. Any changes there would be stunning.
It is interesting to see very different motives in signing certain players among the major OEMs. Clearly Nike is very different than Callaway because they are a multi-level one brand company where Callaway is a one brand golf-only company. TMAG is also different because of their different brands under one umbrella. Ping would be more like Callaway only privately owned. Acushnet is a multi-brand Golf only company. TMAG can have players under two clubs, shoes and two clothing companies which are not necessarily just golf.
Ernie's signing maybe the sign of more to come. Bags with multiple companies clubs. So for those who want certain clubs can do so although they may not be able to have multiple club endorsements. So don't be surprised to see players with TM driver with Adams fwys and utilities with mizuno irons callaway or Cleveland wedges and an Acushnet ball, shoe and glove contract (which they can have for $$$) all in a corporate logo'd bag and hat.
By the way if anyone cares John Rollins is leaving Srixon, I think it is for Callaway also.
[/quote]

Thanks for the updates. Can you shed any light on Justin Rose? Still under contract with TM or on the move?

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1383934048' post='8119988']

As for Nike, club sales have never been their thing. Its been a priority for NIke golf, but not the #1. Look historically, clubs even at the height of Tiger mania in the late 90's early 2000s were never huge. For them its all about the apparel, socks, shoes and hats. Thats what they are selling and they are selling a ton of. Without # I am pretty confident that they are #1 by far in the golf appareal and shoes category. And it takes a whole lot less RD to make a shirt and sell if for $60 then it does for a $400 driver. Nike is paying for the brand and apparel sales, not club sales. Nike is about representing winners. They try to equate winning with the Nike brand. Club sales are just icing on the cake for them.
[/quote]

No.1 in the golf apparel & shoes by far??? Maybe in the US but I see more Puma gear in Europe never mind FJ and adidas!

[quote name='2659edward' timestamp='1383940623' post='8120430']
Okay, a few follow ups:
[/quote]

Thanks for the updates. Can you shed any light on Justin Rose? Still under contract with TM or on the move?
[/quote]
I don't know. I am sure that there will be announcements coming.

By the way Nike is also a Global company that is the largest shoe company in the world. Puma is "relatively" small by comparison. Nike sales for 2012 was over $24 Bil, Adidas Group was over $14 Bil and Puma was just under $4 bil.

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1383932677' post='8119902']
[/quote]

[/quote]Because almost no other sport than golf does it matter what equipment a player uses.

Sure, there's the whole Air Jordan thing for basketball... And yes, there are people that buy equipment and feel validated for doing so solely BECAUSE a certain golfer uses them. I feel sorry for them.

--kC
[/quote]

Strongly disagree with the type of equipment not mattering. Look no further then hockey, the equipment is more complicated and can be customized further than golf clubs can be.

Rumor had it that jr may leave as TM still has not officially signed him to anything yet. This fueled some strong speculation that callaway was in play. This information came by way of a person that works for callaway. I know that here we want cold hard facts. I shot that out there as it could potentilla happen. Jr will be looking for DJ money and swapping els for jr makes sense from a business perspective. Now, I don't think tmag would let this happen, and as stated strictly rumor

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1383945553' post='8120728']
[/quote]

--kC
[/quote]

Strongly disagree with the type of equipment not mattering. Look no further then hockey, the equipment is more complicated and can be customized further than golf clubs can be.
[/quote]The point being... would you dislike the player if they went from Product X to Product Y? No. Golf? "Traitor!"

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[/quote]

I guess TMAG goes on the theory of quantity over quality. Get as many players as possible wearing TMAG hats and playing white drivers. Rose would be up for a pay rise after the US Open

[quote name='specimania' timestamp='1383946873' post='8120830']
Rumor had it that jr may leave as TM still has not officially signed him to anything yet. This fueled some strong speculation that callaway was in play. This information came by way of a person that works for callaway. I know that here we want cold hard facts. I shot that out there as it could potentilla happen. Jr will be looking for DJ money and swapping els for jr makes sense from a business perspective. Now, I don't think tmag would let this happen, and as stated strictly rumor
[/quote]
Sometimes rumors are only rumors without basis. There are a lot of people here that like to have there avatar's attached to them with the hope that maybe one will hit or they work for an OEM and they want to "shake someone's tree".

[quote name='moose557' timestamp='1383913807' post='8118610']
I think it matters to a degree and agree some weekend golfers buy equipment based on what they see the pros using . I know its a little different, but look at whats happened with superstroke. Phil and Duffner won majors with the grip and from what I hear stores can't keep them in stock now.
[/quote]

[quote name='moose557' timestamp='1383913807' post='8118610']
I think it matters to a degree and agree some weekend golfers buy equipment based on what they see the pros using . I know its a little different, but look at whats happened with superstroke. Phil and Duffner won majors with the grip and from what I hear stores can't keep them in stock now.
[/quote]

But Keep in mind K.J Choi was one of the first pros to use the superstroke on tour and many thought he was nuts... :fie:

Okay, a few follow ups:
[/quote]

I agree. I find the who is signed and the possible reasons behind it as a hint of marketing strategy more interesting than being part of a particular cheering section.

It seems that some OEMs are relaxing their requirements on clubs. Certainly, a lot of Japanese OEMs seem to allow their staff players to use someone else's driver, and there seems to be some flexibility when it comes to wedges and putters.

Nike aside, I think signing players to a bag deal and a small or token number of clubs is viewed as way to stretch the marketing budget. They get the player for less, and they are free to get another hat deal. The bag and hat are what catch most eyes. Ever notice that when players are around the green, bags are always placed so the tower camera 'sees' the logo?

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1383946961' post='8120838']
[/quote]

--kC
[/quote]

[/quote]The point being... would you dislike the player if they went from Product X to Product Y? No. Golf? "Traitor!"

--kC
[/quote]

That is true I misunderstood what you were saying. I think this is only a golfwrx thing anyway, no average fan even knows when guys change companies and certainly don't care when they do.

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1383946961' post='8120838']
[/quote]

--kC
[/quote]

--kC
[/quote]
Do you really think that the average golfer feels that way.......If so, i'm sure glad i'm not the average golfer...Sounds really strange as far as i'm concerned....

Companies sign players for marketing!! Matteo has the potential to move the needle in his country just like Ryo did, and if you read the new article on the home page you will see that Callaway sales are up by 12% in asia!! I think that pays off!! Its about what the player can do for a marketing stand point. Big hitters like bubba and dustin will sale drivers to the average player. Dont overlook that these are companies looking to make money!! They do everything for a reason!!!! Building and growing their brand where they see fit.

Cobra Long Tom 8*, 45", Grafalloy black bird, tipped 3"
Titleist 906f2 13*, Fubuki Fuel Tour Spec X
Taylormade RAC TP MB 2iron w/ Project X 7.0
Taylormade RAC TP MB 3-PW w/ KBS CTaper X
Cleveland 52* Project X 7.0
Nike vr forged 58* heel grind Project X 7.0