Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Golfing everyday?

craniac76craniac76 Members Posts: 2,456
I was playing with a head pro at a golf course. I was waiting a guy in front of me teeing off. That guy is in his early 30s. The pro mentioned "this Mr (last name) plays golf everyday.....". So I'm wondering what does he do for a living so he has the time to play golf every single day? I don't think he's retired at that age yet. And judging from his shot, I don't think he is a future PGA Tour member...

Comments

• YrrdeadYrrdead Better Living Through Chemistry Members Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You could do it pretty easy, work a swing shift, be single, profit.

If I move to a swing shift I'll start playing in the morning before work.
    G400 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
    Steelhead 15*
    Apex 21* Hybrid
    Apex Pro('14)4-P
    Exo #7

• craniac76craniac76 Members Posts: 2,456
    Yrrdead wrote:

You could do it pretty easy, work a swing shift, be single, profit.

If I move to a swing shift I'll start playing in the morning before work.

I have a bro in law who works a graveyard shift. He sleeps during the day....
  • YrrdeadYrrdead Better Living Through Chemistry Members Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it would be tougher on graveyard, but swing shift is pretty easy. Our swing is 1pm to 11pm. So pretty easy to fit a round in.
    G400 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
    Steelhead 15*
    Apex 21* Hybrid
    Apex Pro('14)4-P
    Exo #7

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    craniac76 wrote:

I was playing with a head pro at a golf course. I was waiting a guy in front of me teeing off. That guy is in his early 30s. The pro mentioned "this Mr (last name) plays golf everyday.....". So I'm wondering what does he do for a living so he has the time to play golf every single day? I don't think he's retired at that age yet. And judging from his shot, I don't think he is a future PGA Tour member...

For many years, I could play 4 times per week, but choose 2-3 times, and I am semi-retired with GM in place. A few buddy's that are not retired, but play 5 times per week, have successful businesses with management that run themselves. Both of them have 18-20 indexes and been playing for years too. That fascinates me. I can't imagine playing as long and often as they do, and not improving...go figure.
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, PX HZRDUS Red 75
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a few guys who are in the restaurant or bar business who are able to play every day in the morning if they want, because they have people who are perfectly capable of opening their bar/restaurant and get through the lunch crowd before they get there and take care of things in the lull between lunch and dinner. Assuming that you can put people in place that you have trust in, you should be able to get away from things for a while and not have to constantly worry.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • Rock Chalk JayhawkRock Chalk Jayhawk Members Posts: 2,929 ✭✭
    When the weather is cooperative, I play almost every day. Under 30 yrs old, single, free afternoons because of my work schedule.
  • rcain1usrcain1us Members Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If I really hated my wife I could.

As it is I leave the house at 5:30 and get home at 6:00-6:30, but I make my own hours so if I really wanted to play everyday and then work 8-9 hours I could.

I am shooting for 3-4 days a week (once we can actually play again)
  • mguhlermguhler In the EtherMembers Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like golf enough to play everyday
    Cally Epic SZ 9* - Yellow HZRDS 6.0 65g
    Cally X2 Hot Pro 15* - Aldila Tour Green
    Srixon ZH45 #3 & #4 - Kuro Kage Black 70
    Mizuno MP-5 4-9 - Grafalloy ProLogic
    Scratch 8620DS 47* -Steelfiber i95s
    Vokey SM6/M Brushed Copper 54* & 58*
    Tour Cameron NP2
    WITB Link
    mguhler wrote:

Kinda agree.... especially if you play at the same course every single day.....
  • OrangeCrushOrangeCrush Members Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mguhler wrote:

I agree. Golf is a treat, if I played 3-4 times a week then its a job. If I could play one 18 holes and 1 9 hole per week I would be happy. I LOVE this game but I will not let it define me.
    Callaway GBB 9* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
    Callaway RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
    Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
    Callaway RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
    Callaway Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
    Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
    https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
    [twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked 10:45pm - 6:45am for the seven years I was in university. Great paying job at $18/hr from 1986-1992. Paid my way thru school

Box plant, grueling hard and hot work packing/skidding up Labatt Blue beer boxes or Kraft Dinner boxes as they came off the presses. We used to do 60,000 beer boxes in 8 hrs, and that was with two 10 minute breaks and a 20 minute lunch break

I would drive straight home from the course and play at 7:40am. Course was empty. Walk 18 holes in just under 3 hrs and then sleep from 11:00am - 6pm

First week I tried sleeping right when I got home and hitting the course at 3pm but it was always packed

I had a few Friday's where I'd be up all the previous evening, then walk 36 holes, and then go out Friday night with my friends on zero sleep ! Ahh, to be 22 again !!!!
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • knock it closeknock it close Members Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 6, 2015 #13
    Sales maybe, there's a shocking number of guys in their 30's-40's at my course that play a lot of golf, probably 90% of them are in oilfield sales.

And 90% of those guys are drunks and single so that helps too
    M2, maybe
    915 FD
    913 HD
    712u 3
    714 AP2 4-p
    SM5 53, 59
    Circa62
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm old enough to remember a time when Ignore and Feedback worked. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This day and age, pretty easy to do (OK maybe not "everyday" but certainly multiples a week) over a huge range of professions, no longer just doctors, shift workers, and sales guys.

Sales maybe, there's a shocking number of guys in their 30's-40's at my course that play a lot of golf, probably 90% of them are in oilfield sales.

duffer987 wrote:

This day and age, pretty easy to do (OK maybe not "everyday" but certainly multiples a week) over a huge range of professions, no longer just doctors, shift workers, and sales guys.

How about musicians? I've heard Justin Timberlake plays golf daily......
  • Palauan HammerPalauan Hammer Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    craniac76 wrote:

duffer987 wrote:

How about musicians? I've heard Justin Timberlake plays golf daily......

That exactly what I was doing here. I'm a full time musician and basically played golf almost everyday. If I didn't play, I'd practice all day. I'm 31, single, no children out of wedlock, and no major bills. Golf is pretty expensive here so playing 7 days a week is real expensive. And yes, I'm trying to get somewhere with the game, hence all the time spent.

I USED to be a drunk, but I cleaned up my act. 11 months clean.. one day at a time
    OGA Member #3232

Epic SubZero 9* Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi XT 70tx
    Cally Xr Pro 14* GD Tour Ad MT 8tx
    Titleist 714 MB 3-Pw Nippon Modus 130x
    Nike Vr Forged 52,56,60 TT Dg S400
    Ping Anser 2
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This summer when I was working in the shop at golf course I played 18+ almost every single day. If I opened I would go play off property somewhere else (too busy). If I was swing, I would practice in the morning and play in the afternoon. If I closed I would play after 8 till dark. (Sometimes 11 oclock).

This being said I don't think I got any better. I actually got worse because I develop some pretty bad habits that I could mascaraed and still shoot good. But in the fall and went back to playing in school tournaments (PGM) my game was in shambels and it took me a month just be hitting the ball good; still haven't fixed my putting.

I think I liked the option to play everyday, but now I would rather work on short game and putt more than just go play 18+ and not really work on/improve my game
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • nike_airnike_air Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    when its the right season i try to golf everyday. i do it because i still enjoy golf that much, and partly to justify the clubs I've bought/membership costs. image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]W.I.T.B.:[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Driver: Nike Vapor Flex 440 w/ Diamana B R-Flex[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]3 Wood: Nike Vapor Fly 3+ w/ Tensei S-Flex[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Irons: Nike Vapor Fly Pro Irons 4-AW w/ XP 95 S300[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Wedges: Nike Vr Forged 52/10 & 56/14 w/ TT DG S400[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Putter: Nike Method Midnight 006[/font]
  • jrich61820jrich61820 The putter wisper(er) Members Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a teacher I have 3 months off an pretty much 18-36 a day. I play A LOT and enjoy every second of it! When school starts back up in Late August, I'll still try to to play 9 after school or at least hit balls 2-3 times a week.

Want to play a lot of golf? Be a school teacher ( PE is the best! I get paid to play games all day! No grading papers and I get to wear sweats to work!)
    Titleist 915D2 PX Hzrdous Yellow 63G Stiff
    Titleist 915F15 Diamanna Stiff
    Titleist 915H 19 Aldila Rouge Stiff
    712 CB/MB PX 6.0 (4-PW)
    Cold Forged Vokey Wedges (52,56,60) S200
    Richards RT-1 Tour Hand Stamped 1of1
  • EdslandEdsland Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Semi retired from AT&T now a school bus driver, summer off, during school I work 6-8:30,2-4:30. No problem to play 9 when weather is good. 😄😄😄
  • MoneyPlayer33MoneyPlayer33 Members Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭
    Sell drugs lol

Growing up I worked at a nice private club where one of the best players was mid 30"s coke dealer . He played every single day .

Then one day he was gone and he didn't play again for 6 years if u catch my drift
  • GreenieGreenie Members Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 7, 2015 #22
    I played most every day when I worked 4pm-12am. I got a lot of stuff done on that shift. It felt like you were off every day. A lot of the golfers at work played regularly on the 12am-8am shift. I never liked that. They would head over to the course after work and play 18. I liked getting some sleep first before playing.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When we built our house right across from our local course I usually played 6 times a week although most were not full 9's. I'd hop in my cart a little before 6 a.m. and play 5 or 6 holes before work. Also played in 2 mens leagues. I got kind of burnt out after about 10 years of doing that so now I'm happy playing a couple of nines a week. I hate weekend golf and rarely play. Anything over 4 hours and I lose interest.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,927 ClubWRX
    mguhler wrote:

craniac76 wrote:

mguhler wrote:

Kinda agree.... especially if you play at the same course every single day.....

mguhler wrote:

I agree. Golf is a treat, if I played 3-4 times a week then its a job. If I could play one 18 holes and 1 9 hole per week I would be happy. I LOVE this game but I will not let it define me.

Blasphemy! The three of you will now turn in your GolfWRX member cards and exit the premises.
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • SMAKCruiserSMAKCruiser Members Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭
    I work 7-3:30 generally and I work near my club. No issue getting in 9+ holes in after work.
    Titleist 915 9.5 with Blueboard 73x
    Titleist 915F 13 with Blueboard 83x
    Titleist 712MB 4-9
    Vokey SM4 46,52, 60
    Vokey SM5 56
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"
  • Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In my caddie days, one of my regulars was a guy in his 40s who was an office/commercial real estate investor. He'd work in his office from 7am to noon every day, then came to the club, had lunch, and teed off around 1pm. Also played weekend mornings.

Another guy I knew of at the club owned a restaurant that served dinner only. He'd tee off around 8am every day, would leave the club by 1pm, and have a few hours to oversee his employees getting things ready for dinner service.

Personally, once I play around 6 days in a row, my game starts to fade unless I take a couple days off.
  • TKD24TKD24 Members Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I live on the east coast, but my office is on the west coast. I never schedule a meeting before 10am PST (1pm EST). I usually play 3 rounds/week and 1-2 days for practice.

I know some financial advisors and sales guys who are in their 30s/40s who could play every day if they wanted to.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5°, 915F 15°, 915H 18°<br />Mizuno MP-H4, 4i-PW<br />Vokey SM6 52°,56°,60º<br />Scotty Cameron X5
  • RRFirebladeRRFireblade AKA Jay. Members Posts: 4,782
    It's not too uncommon down here. I've known of a few that play 9 every morning before they start their days, others that do so after. That's a big one too, lotsa twilight specials here and long afternoon sun. Curiously, I couldn't play EVERY day. I need a break every few days.
    XRP 8.5* XS
    XRP #3 XS
    Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
    Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
    Scotty Studio Select Custom
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I new a mailman that wold go out and do his route early in the morning hustle and play golf every afternoon. The rules for mailman was they had to deliver the mail to their route that day, if it took 3 hours or 10 hours it didn't matter. They have now changed that.

I often play before work in the summer. I can get 18 in and still get on the clock by 9am.
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 15,207 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm golf starved and so it's seems from where I sit that daily

golf would be pretty awesome.....but I know after a certain #

of days I would certainly take a break and then play less.

For a recreational golfer like me it's all about having fun. I

don't see grinding it out daily to lower my cap a few strokes

or something and like others have said playing too much

might hurt someone's game....or in the case of a senior

like me hurt their body too, lol.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file