GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

If you hit your 3 wood over 300 yards

Comments

• Want2GetGoodWant2GetGood Members  67WRX Points: 19Posts: 67 Bunkers

On -, @Mych said:

Assuming it's a strong 3 (13 deg) going 300, maybe fall back to a 15-17 deg loft range to slot in better behind the driver. I can't imagine you'll need to hit an approach shot over 250yds often, so you basically have 2 clubs that are only going to get work off the tee.

It was a driver replacement club to be honest so its distance orientated, (the crossover can fill the 240-260 gap)
    Goal is to play driver on a few holes where distance is required and the hole can accommodate an offline strike.
    Where the wind is virtually ZERO, or BEHIND. Cross winds and into the winds, I get exposed. Big time. Not worth me taking driver.

3 wood to be used on holes off tee where distance off tee is still important or its windy, the thing goes like a bullet @ 13.5.
    Yes it can still go wrong, but the consequences of putting a bad swing on it (excluding a top) are not the same as a driver and the distance isn't much shorter. I think it will be a huge club for my game.

G410 crossover to be used when I need 240-260 off the tee or deck and have to find fairway.
    I'll will also purchase the #3 and #4 when a good deal comes along on ebay.

I have become a little dis-illusion ed with distance TBH, sure, there are times when I drive par 4's in one and I feel great and a crowd pleaseR, but those shots for me are not an average and as I'm off 12 at the moment, I just want to get down to single figures and then see where I am.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MychMych Members  2271WRX Points: 433Posts: 2,271 Platinum Tees

On -, @Want2GetGood said:

On -, @Mych said:

Assuming it's a strong 3 (13 deg) going 300, maybe fall back to a 15-17 deg loft range to slot in better behind the driver. I can't imagine you'll need to hit an approach shot over 250yds often, so you basically have 2 clubs that are only going to get work off the tee.

I have become a little dis-illusion ed with distance TBH, sure, there are times when I drive par 4's in one and I feel great and a crowd pleaseR, but those shots for me are not an average and as I'm off 12 at the moment, I just want to get down to single figures and then see where I am.

I've been in a similar boat. I've never been in the "short hitter" category, which is great because I can hit Driver/wedge when others in my group are hitting Driver/6i. But that also means that I run out of fairway faster than others. For years I've struggled with how to bring my scores down and eventually I realized that at full distance, my accuracy suffered so much that I couldn't implement good course management. I've toned my swing down from about 110mph with ~50yd worst-case miss to about 100-102mph with ~30yd worst-case miss. I still crank it up once or twice a round, but I've played my best golf ever this year, hitting the ball consistently about 25 yards shorter than I ever have before.
    My last "official" cap was 13 about 2 years ago with a scoring average well over 85. This year my average score has been about 82-83 with a few sub-80 rounds. Every time I go to the golf store I grab a driver and make sure I can still dial 110mph up when I need to, but that swing doesn't see the course anymore. I was taking some crazy risks thinking that more birdies was the key to a better score. My style of play was very aggressive, which led to more birdies, but also more 3 putts and penalty strokes.

Posted:
    Post edited by Mych on
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    WITB: Cobra F9 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Ping Sigma G Piper 3
  • ShutSteepStuckShutSteepStuck Grinding like Briny Baird The ValleyMembers  1510WRX Points: 122Handicap: 2Posts: 1,510 Platinum Tees

Keep the driver in the bag since it is more forgiving.

Posted:
    g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
    m2 tour 15.8* - ad gp-8x
    m2 tour 19.8* - diamana s 83x
    4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
    mp-t10 56.10 - s300
    tvd 60m - ti s400
    piretti potenza ii 365g 34"
  • N0rs3manN0rs3man Members  190WRX Points: 64Posts: 190 Fairways

what do you mean if? isnt this wrx we can all hit it 270-300 with 3wood, and if we could have just not hit that one out of bounds and the last drive didnt count we coulda shot a 72. Thinking about going pro maybe next year if I can just hit the fairway with these 350 yard bombs

Posted:

Are you a scratch player? A: I sure am—every time I hit the ball I scratch my head and wonder where it went.

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9338WRX Points: 2,963Posts: 9,338 Titanium Tees

Not all of us are big hitters. My 3w is 280 max with roll

Posted:
  • DaveGoodrichDaveGoodrich SoCalMembers  1185WRX Points: 224Posts: 1,185 Platinum Tees

A 300 yard 3-wood is really far into a hypothetical universe for me... But it would be kind of like asking myself whether, if I played from the Red tees, would I carry my driver?

I would think that it would all depend on whether there is another club you could put in your bag instead of the driver that would gain you strokes somewhere else on the course. If not, why would you pull the driver out? Most of the time, I would say having driver in the bag would give you at least a couple good scoring opportunities per round that would outweigh what you might gain by having some other specialty club, extra wedge, etc. in the bag. Of course, that may not be true at all courses. But typically, if you can hit a 3-wood 300 and keep it on the course, you can probably take advantage of those couple good scoring opportunities with your driver too, even if you don't hit it off most tees.

Posted:
    2016 Taylormade M2 w/YS-6+
    Exotics XCG 16* and 21*hybrids with Proforce V2
    Adams CB3 4 and 5 with Aldila RIP Tour 115 
    Adams CB1 6 and 7 with Aldila RIP Tour 115 
    Adams Pro Black MB 8-PW with Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Vokey Wedgeworks SM4 52M with Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Vokey SM4 58D-12 with Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Vokey SM2 60M-04 with Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5

Advertisement
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers  8165WRX Points: 1,386Handicap: +1.5 (1194646)Posts: 8,165 Titanium Tees

i use my 3w when i want to hit a certain shot shape. the driver likes to go straight or have a baby cut on it.

if i need less than 300, i'll hit 2i.

(Monday, GPS'd i had two 3w's off tees that went 317, and 276)

Posted:
    Post edited by gioguy21 on

Tour M3 460 / 10.1* (set -2*) / RIPx 65TX tipped 2" playing 44.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"
    SC Futura X Broomstick Putter experiment

• Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members  3614WRX Points: 241Posts: 3,614 Titanium Tees

Gets my vote for humblebrag of the year!

Posted:
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers  6131WRX Points: 1,860Handicap: 2.7Posts: 6,131 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black

If coach would have put me in, we would have won state. No doubt in my mind!

Posted:
  • milesgilesmilesgiles milesgiles Members  547WRX Points: 216Handicap: 2.3Posts: 547 Golden Tee

On -, @Mych said:

It was a driver replacement club to be honest so its distance orientated, (the crossover can fill the 240-260 gap)
    Goal is to play driver on a few holes where distance is required and the hole can accommodate an offline strike.
    Where the wind is virtually ZERO, or BEHIND. Cross winds and into the winds, I get exposed. Big time. Not worth me taking driver.

3 wood to be used on holes off tee where distance off tee is still important or its windy, the thing goes like a bullet @ 13.5.
    Yes it can still go wrong, but the consequences of putting a bad swing on it (excluding a top) are not the same as a driver and the distance isn't much shorter. I think it will be a huge club for my game.

G410 crossover to be used when I need 240-260 off the tee or deck and have to find fairway.

As I think you may be realising, time to ask yourself..do you want to be good? (As per your handle?)

A drive that carries 240, with any club, is more than enough for almost any course up to 6800 or so. After that, unless you typically play somewhere very open and lush, you are looking at diminishing returns on that extra length, missing more fairways and bringing more trouble into play.

IMO off 12 handicap, you seem concerned with stuff that has little to nothing to do with actually shooting lower scores. You don’t need different clubs, you don’t need to be using trackman, you don’t need to be filling yardage gaps..you need to be combining your natural speed with some good golfing fundamentals (grip and setup for a start) and start finding a way to hit the ball solidly far more often than not. I’d say handicap roughly equates to number of mishits, ie you are mishitting 12 times a round. Get that down to 3 or 4 and you should be low single figures, which qualifies as ‘good’ in my book.
    Or work on a 300 yard carry and entertaining the crowds once or twice a round..

Not giving you a hard time, seen a lot of golfers in both camps.

Posted:

Advertisement

Agreed.

Posted:
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX  15213WRX Points: 1,258Posts: 15,213 ClubWRX

On -, @Krt22 said:

Not all of us are big hitters. My 3w is 280 max with roll

You weak stick Krt!!😀. Just kidding of course.

I get 300 easy out of 3 wood. Top it 100 yards 3 times and there’s my 300. Good thing I’m in Colorado at elevation!

Posted:

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2415WRX Points: 953Posts: 2,415 Platinum Tees

On -, @peachfuzz said:

It would depend on the course. If there were any par-5s long enough to not reach in with a 300 yard 3w, I'd probably be forced to carry a driver at that point.

Not sure I would want to tangle with a 650 yard par five. (My assumption being if you are 300+ with the 3W you are getting driver out there close to 350.)

Posted:

On -, @sprcoop said:

I could be wrong but I seem to remember Brooks and Rory carrying 3W 280-290 off the tee a couple times yesterday in Memphis.

I don't know if that was downwind or what but it was not particularly windy. That just seemed crazy long.

Cliff notes ...

New to golf ... Bad swing ... Had 3-wood for 4 days ... Hits 17 degree hybrid 250-265 and finds fairway nearly every time. Should hit 300 with the 3-wood by end of week.

Average WRXer.

First time I went back to sim and....
    With regards to crossover, I'm not sure if I was talking about the g410 or g400, the 410 is not as forgiving as the G400 (IMO) and I'm definitely NOT finding a lot of fairways with it.

IMO its more like a p790 udi. Its a crossover in name only. Luckily the G400 is about a long and half the price.

Posted:
    Post edited by Want2GetGood on
  • tatertottatertot Members  4620WRX Points: 930Posts: 4,620 Titanium Tees

On -, @sprcoop said:

I could be wrong but I seem to remember Brooks and Rory carrying 3W 280-290 off the tee a couple times yesterday in Memphis.

I don't know if that was downwind or what but it was not particularly windy. That just seemed crazy long.

Cliff notes ...

New to golf ... Bad swing ... Had 3-wood for 4 days ... Hits 17 degree hybrid 250-265 and finds fairway nearly every time. Should hit 300 with the 3-wood by end of week.

Average WRXer.

Almost makes me want to lose weight and see what I could do without the donuts.
    Almost :)

I shot a 51 at St. Andrews on Tiger Woods 09 on my PlayStation2 last Saturday.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Tech A4, 19*
    5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
    SW: Ping Glide ES, 56*
    Putter: Ping Classic Stainless Steel Anser 2
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star
    Bag: Ping Mascot

Advertisement

On -, @tatertot said:

On -, @sprcoop said:

Cliff notes ...

Average WRXer.

Almost makes me want to lose weight and see what I could do without the donuts.
    Almost :)

I shot a 51 at St. Andrews on Tiger Woods 09 on my PlayStation2 last Saturday.

Did you make sure to wear full golfing attire? lol

Posted:

On -, @smashdn said:

On -, @peachfuzz said:

It would depend on the course. If there were any par-5s long enough to not reach in with a 300 yard 3w, I'd probably be forced to carry a driver at that point.

Not sure I would want to tangle with a 650 yard par five. (My assumption being if you are 300+ with the 3W you are getting driver out there close to 350.)

For me personally, the most I have done on gc2 is 327, that was 117 with ping g400 lst. I did that ONCE and its not an average, probably late 280's-290's is average. I had some good juniors hit this 3 wood too, many of them are 290-300 with driver and with the 3 wood they were 270-275.
    I got 302 with 3 wood today, but hand on heart, after I turned the camera off, i hit a few off the deck and one went 316. My point is, in my limited experience this 3 wood is a viable driver replacement.

1) on bad shots its lower flight is not as destructive as driver.
    2) It frees up a club in the bag for an extra wedge.
    3) You can play it off the deck so more versatile than a driver and not that much shorter when you nail it right.
    4) You will use it more than the driver so should get better with it.
    5) Shorter shaft should keep you in sync more with the rest of the clubs in the bag.
    6) You can sell driver and pocket the money, potentially many's hundreds.
    7) Into the wind it doesn't balloon up like a driver can.
    8) Half the price of a new driver.

If you hit your driver well then lucky you. For me, the driver is a troublesome club, its addictive because sometimes i hit it right and drive a par 4 in one and I feel great, but a lot of the time, the flaws i have honestly make it more trouble than its worth.

Might consider dropping the driver, and crossover, and investing in a 5 wood to go with this 3 wood and just getting to grips with them.

Posted:

On -, @smashdn said:

On -, @peachfuzz said:

For me personally, the most I have done on gc2 is 327, that was 117 with ping g400 lst. I did that ONCE and its not an average, probably late 280's-290's is average.
    I got 302 with 3 wood today, but hand on heart, after I turned the camera off, i hit a few off the deck and one went 316.
    My point is, this 3 wood is a viable driver replacement.

1) on bad shots its lower flight is not as destructive as driver.
    2) It frees up a club in the bag for an extra wedge.
    3) You can paly it off the deck so more versatile than a driver and not that much shorter when you nail it right.
    4) You will use it more than the driver so should get better with it.
    5) Shorter shaft should keep you in sync more with the rest of the clubs in the bag.
    6) You can sell driver and pocket the money, potentially many's hundreds.
    7) Into the wind it doesn't balloon up with the driver.

If you hit your driver well then lucky you. For me, the driver is a troublesome club, its addictive because sometimes i hit it right and drive a par 4 in one and I feel great, but a lot of the time, the flaws i have honestly make it more trouble than its worth.

And how many times have you hit those shots on an actual golf course?

Posted:
  • BrennanfBrennanf Members  89WRX Points: 33Posts: 89 Fairways

300b yards with a 3W is poke. I'll be quick to admit I can't hit a driver that far

Posted:
  • northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members  4143WRX Points: 240Posts: 4,143 Titanium Tees

On -, @Brennanf said:

300b yards with a 3W is poke. I'll be quick to admit I can't hit a driver that far

Only on WRX is 300 with anything not a poke.

Posted:
    If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Advertisement
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12612WRX Points: 1,616Handicap: 3.8Posts: 12,612 Titanium Tees

On -, @pinhigh27 said:

Santiago Golf wrote:

Smash Factors wrote:

I can't remember who it was, but one of the guys on this forum was saying that a lot of guys "Pigeon Hole" themselves by limiting their options for hitting off the tee. He said it's good to have several options for your tee shot. I thought those were interesting statements.

So no, I wouldn't take the driver out of the bag. Keep in around and use it. Use the 3 wood for shorter holes and tighter fairways.

I not one the one who posted it, but I agree. Certainly for long hitters. I am WRX long and have options off the tee.

Driver- Fairway Finder 285-295 carry (mid launching cut), Bomb.com 300-310 carry (High, Low spin Fade). I will use the Bomb.com once every 5 rounds, not necessary on the course I play.

3 wood: Mid Cut 275-285 carry, Stinger 255-260 carry

Hybrid: Tower 230 carry, Mid Fade 245-255 carry, Stinger 225-235 carry

3 iron: Stinger 215-220 carry, Twirl It 230-240 carry

I am not Dustin Johnson with my full swing wedges (will be working on this during the off season), so I'd rather have my 7-Pw in than have to fell a wedge shot.

cool story

You say cool story....I was thinking to myself "really? You name these different shots lol? 'Tower'...'Twirl it' and.... My favorite...'Bomb.com' "

Just having fun Santiago but it's good stuff!

Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

• golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers  2047WRX Points: 444Handicap: 16.4Posts: 2,047 Platinum Tees

Don't mind me, I'm just laying here in the fetal position clutching my 225 yard driver and crying myself to sleep reading this thread......

Posted:

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

On -, @golfer07840 said:

Don't mind me, I'm just laying here in the fetal position clutching my 225 yard driver and crying myself to sleep reading this thread......

I got beat by a 73 yr old man in a comp who drove about the same distance as you :)

Posted:
  • hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members  374WRX Points: 110Posts: 374 Greens

On -, @Mych said:

had this conversation with someone earlier today. both play 7.5/8 driver, 13/13.5 3-wood, and 16/18 2-iron. 3-wood carries enough that driver doesn't make sense on a lot of courses, even if it's "only" 240y-250y+ carry. 2-iron gets a lot of play from the tee though.

Posted:

any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members  3682WRX Points: 641Posts: 3,682 Titanium Tees

you just need more loft on your driver

Posted:
    Ping G400 8.5 LST Ozik F6M2/EVO III FUJI
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

Cobra F9 Avalanche 3/4 Atmos 7
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 5/6 Atmos 7
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 58 Modus 120
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
    2020 TOUR B XS

Advertisement
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  3163WRX Points: 802Handicap: 6Posts: 3,163 Titanium Tees

On -, @Mych said:

I am decently long and a five handicap... I can’t hit a three wood 300, but I can get to around 270.

Figure out a way to get confident with on the tee box. Shorter shaft, heavier shaft... give up distance and gain consistency. 270 down the middle is an incredible feeling and opens up a majority of courses.

Confidence is key in golf, especially on the tee box. I’ve been considering a two wood for a fairway finding two wood.

Learn to hit a 3/4 swing. Focus on finding fairways and then work your distance back in.

Posted:

As of 6/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110 X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400
    4 iron / utility Sub 70 699 with Proforce 85 gram X
    50, 54, 60 Vokeys
    Tank Counter Balance #7
    Driver and Putter are set for now. Wedges are safe for time being.

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  3163WRX Points: 802Handicap: 6Posts: 3,163 Titanium Tees

On -, @hoselpalooza said:

On -, @Mych said:

had this conversation with someone earlier today. both play 7.5/8 driver, 13/13.5 3-wood, and 16/18 2-iron. 3-wood carries enough that driver doesn't make sense on a lot of courses, even if it's "only" 240y-250y+ carry. 2-iron gets a lot of play from the tee though.

One of the best things I’ve done this season is learn to keep driver in play. It rarely gets me in trouble anymore and my misses leave me a chance to make par.

I swing 115 and hit the ball over 270... honestly, I clicked on this forum to try to figure out my wedge game.

Posted:

As of 6/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110 X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400
    4 iron / utility Sub 70 699 with Proforce 85 gram X
    50, 54, 60 Vokeys
    Tank Counter Balance #7
    Driver and Putter are set for now. Wedges are safe for time being.

On -, @Myherobobhope said:

On -, @hoselpalooza said:

On -, @Mych said:

One of the best things I’ve done this season is learn to keep driver in play. It rarely gets me in trouble anymore and my misses leave me a chance to make par.

I swing 115 and hit the ball over 270... honestly, I clicked on this forum to try to figure out my wedge game.

good point. e.g. a low-traj bunt driver that carries 250y+ with tighter dispersion could be a solid option.

Posted:

any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

Advertisement

On -, @Man_O_War said:

you just need more loft on your driver

what?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.