If you hit your 3 wood over 300 yards

124»

Comments

• MychMych Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 30, 2019 2:44pm #92

Assuming it's a strong 3 (13 deg) going 300, maybe fall back to a 15-17 deg loft range to slot in better behind the driver. I can't imagine you'll need to hit an approach shot over 250yds often, so you basically have 2 clubs that are only going to get work off the tee.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • Want2GetGoodWant2GetGood Members Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited Jul 30, 2019 5:52pm #93

@Mych said:
    Assuming it's a strong 3 (13 deg) going 300, maybe fall back to a 15-17 deg loft range to slot in better behind the driver. I can't imagine you'll need to hit an approach shot over 250yds often, so you basically have 2 clubs that are only going to get work off the tee.

It was a driver replacement club to be honest so its distance orientated, (the crossover can fill the 240-260 gap)
    Goal is to play driver on a few holes where distance is required and the hole can accommodate an offline strike.
    Where the wind is virtually ZERO, or BEHIND. Cross winds and into the winds, I get exposed. Big time. Not worth me taking driver.

3 wood to be used on holes off tee where distance off tee is still important or its windy, the thing goes like a bullet @ 13.5.
    Yes it can still go wrong, but the consequences of putting a bad swing on it (excluding a top) are not the same as a driver and the distance isn't much shorter. I think it will be a huge club for my game.

G410 crossover to be used when I need 240-260 off the tee or deck and have to find fairway.
    I'll will also purchase the #3 and #4 when a good deal comes along on ebay.

I have become a little dis-illusion ed with distance TBH, sure, there are times when I drive par 4's in one and I feel great and a crowd pleaseR, but those shots for me are not an average and as I'm off 12 at the moment, I just want to get down to single figures and then see where I am.

• MychMych Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 31, 2019 3:33pm #94

@Want2GetGood said:

@Mych said:

I have become a little dis-illusion ed with distance TBH, sure, there are times when I drive par 4's in one and I feel great and a crowd pleaseR, but those shots for me are not an average and as I'm off 12 at the moment, I just want to get down to single figures and then see where I am.

I've been in a similar boat. I've never been in the "short hitter" category, which is great because I can hit Driver/wedge when others in my group are hitting Driver/6i. But that also means that I run out of fairway faster than others. For years I've struggled with how to bring my scores down and eventually I realized that at full distance, my accuracy suffered so much that I couldn't implement good course management. I've toned my swing down from about 110mph with ~50yd worst-case miss to about 100-102mph with ~30yd worst-case miss. I still crank it up once or twice a round, but I've played my best golf ever this year, hitting the ball consistently about 25 yards shorter than I ever have before.
    My last "official" cap was 13 about 2 years ago with a scoring average well over 85. This year my average score has been about 82-83 with a few sub-80 rounds. Every time I go to the golf store I grab a driver and make sure I can still dial 110mph up when I need to, but that swing doesn't see the course anymore. I was taking some crazy risks thinking that more birdies was the key to a better score. My style of play was very aggressive, which led to more birdies, but also more 3 putts and penalty strokes.

Post edited by Mych on
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • ShutSteepStuckShutSteepStuck Grinding like Briny Baird The ValleyMembers Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Keep the driver in the bag since it is more forgiving.

g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
    m2 tour 15.8* - ad gp-8x
    m2 tour 19.8* - diamana s 83x
    4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
    mp-t10 56.10 - s300
    tvd 60m - ti s400
    piretti potenza ii 365g 34"
  • N0rs3manN0rs3man Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

what do you mean if? isnt this wrx we can all hit it 270-300 with 3wood, and if we could have just not hit that one out of bounds and the last drive didnt count we coulda shot a 72. Thinking about going pro maybe next year if I can just hit the fairway with these 350 yard bombs

PXG 0811XF Gen. 2 HZRDUS ProjectX shaft
    King Cobra ROUGE X shaft woods
    Sterling single length irons
    Random putter

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not all of us are big hitters. My 3w is 280 max with roll

• DaveGoodrichDaveGoodrich SoCalMembers Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A 300 yard 3-wood is really far into a hypothetical universe for me... But it would be kind of like asking myself whether, if I played from the Red tees, would I carry my driver?

I would think that it would all depend on whether there is another club you could put in your bag instead of the driver that would gain you strokes somewhere else on the course. If not, why would you pull the driver out? Most of the time, I would say having driver in the bag would give you at least a couple good scoring opportunities per round that would outweigh what you might gain by having some other specialty club, extra wedge, etc. in the bag. Of course, that may not be true at all courses. But typically, if you can hit a 3-wood 300 and keep it on the course, you can probably take advantage of those couple good scoring opportunities with your driver too, even if you don't hit it off most tees.

Titleist 917D3 w/YS-6+
    Exotics EX-10 Beta 13* w/Aldila Rogue Max
    Titleist 909h 17*, 21* and 24* w/YS-hybrid
    Adams CB1 5-iron w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Adams Pro Black MB 6 - GW with w/Aldila RIP Tour 115 (5* loft gaps)
    Vokey SM6 58M w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 31, 2019 6:32pm #99

i use my 3w when i want to hit a certain shot shape. the driver likes to go straight or have a baby cut on it.

if i need less than 300, i'll hit 2i.

(Monday, GPS'd i had two 3w's off tees that went 317, and 276)

Post edited by gioguy21 on

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Gets my vote for humblebrag of the year!

• ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    edited Jul 31, 2019 6:34pm #102

If coach would have put me in, we would have won state. No doubt in my mind!

• milesgilesmilesgiles milesgiles Members Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭

@Want2GetGood said:

@Mych said:

It was a driver replacement club to be honest so its distance orientated, (the crossover can fill the 240-260 gap)
    Goal is to play driver on a few holes where distance is required and the hole can accommodate an offline strike.
    Where the wind is virtually ZERO, or BEHIND. Cross winds and into the winds, I get exposed. Big time. Not worth me taking driver.

3 wood to be used on holes off tee where distance off tee is still important or its windy, the thing goes like a bullet @ 13.5.
    Yes it can still go wrong, but the consequences of putting a bad swing on it (excluding a top) are not the same as a driver and the distance isn't much shorter. I think it will be a huge club for my game.

G410 crossover to be used when I need 240-260 off the tee or deck and have to find fairway.
    I'll will also purchase the #3 and #4 when a good deal comes along on ebay.

As I think you may be realising, time to ask yourself..do you want to be good? (As per your handle?)

A drive that carries 240, with any club, is more than enough for almost any course up to 6800 or so. After that, unless you typically play somewhere very open and lush, you are looking at diminishing returns on that extra length, missing more fairways and bringing more trouble into play.

IMO off 12 handicap, you seem concerned with stuff that has little to nothing to do with actually shooting lower scores. You don’t need different clubs, you don’t need to be using trackman, you don’t need to be filling yardage gaps..you need to be combining your natural speed with some good golfing fundamentals (grip and setup for a start) and start finding a way to hit the ball solidly far more often than not. I’d say handicap roughly equates to number of mishits, ie you are mishitting 12 times a round. Get that down to 3 or 4 and you should be low single figures, which qualifies as ‘good’ in my book.
    Or work on a 300 yard carry and entertaining the crowds once or twice a round..

Not giving you a hard time, seen a lot of golfers in both camps.

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX

@Krt22 said:
    Not all of us are big hitters. My 3w is 280 max with roll

You weak stick Krt!!😀. Just kidding of course.

I get 300 easy out of 3 wood. Top it 100 yards 3 times and there’s my 300. Good thing I’m in Colorado at elevation!

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@peachfuzz said:
    It would depend on the course. If there were any par-5s long enough to not reach in with a 300 yard 3w, I'd probably be forced to carry a driver at that point.

Not sure I would want to tangle with a 650 yard par five. (My assumption being if you are 300+ with the 3W you are getting driver out there close to 350.)

edited Aug 12, 2019 11:20pm #107

@sprcoop said:
    I could be wrong but I seem to remember Brooks and Rory carrying 3W 280-290 off the tee a couple times yesterday in Memphis.

I don't know if that was downwind or what but it was not particularly windy. That just seemed crazy long.

Cliff notes ...

New to golf ... Bad swing ... Had 3-wood for 4 days ... Hits 17 degree hybrid 250-265 and finds fairway nearly every time. Should hit 300 with the 3-wood by end of week.

Average WRXer.

First time I went back to sim and....
    With regards to crossover, I'm not sure if I was talking about the g410 or g400, the 410 is not as forgiving as the G400 (IMO) and I'm definitely NOT finding a lot of fairways with it.

IMO its more like a p790 udi. Its a crossover in name only. Luckily the G400 is about a long and half the price.

Post edited by Want2GetGood on
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Want2GetGood said:

@sprcoop said:
    I could be wrong but I seem to remember Brooks and Rory carrying 3W 280-290 off the tee a couple times yesterday in Memphis.

I don't know if that was downwind or what but it was not particularly windy. That just seemed crazy long.

Cliff notes ...

New to golf ... Bad swing ... Had 3-wood for 4 days ... Hits 17 degree hybrid 250-265 and finds fairway nearly every time. Should hit 300 with the 3-wood by end of week.

Average WRXer.

Almost makes me want to lose weight and see what I could do without the donuts.
    Almost :)

I shot a 51 at St. Andrews on Tiger Woods 09 on my PlayStation2 last Saturday.

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot

@tatertot said:

@Want2GetGood said:

@sprcoop said:

Cliff notes ...

Average WRXer.

Almost makes me want to lose weight and see what I could do without the donuts.
    Almost :)

I shot a 51 at St. Andrews on Tiger Woods 09 on my PlayStation2 last Saturday.

Did you make sure to wear full golfing attire? lol

edited Aug 12, 2019 11:28pm #110

@smashdn said:

@peachfuzz said:
    It would depend on the course. If there were any par-5s long enough to not reach in with a 300 yard 3w, I'd probably be forced to carry a driver at that point.

Not sure I would want to tangle with a 650 yard par five. (My assumption being if you are 300+ with the 3W you are getting driver out there close to 350.)

For me personally, the most I have done on gc2 is 327, that was 117 with ping g400 lst. I did that ONCE and its not an average, probably late 280's-290's is average. I had some good juniors hit this 3 wood too, many of them are 290-300 with driver and with the 3 wood they were 270-275.
    I got 302 with 3 wood today, but hand on heart, after I turned the camera off, i hit a few off the deck and one went 316. My point is, in my limited experience this 3 wood is a viable driver replacement.

1) on bad shots its lower flight is not as destructive as driver.
    2) It frees up a club in the bag for an extra wedge.
    3) You can play it off the deck so more versatile than a driver and not that much shorter when you nail it right.
    4) You will use it more than the driver so should get better with it.
    5) Shorter shaft should keep you in sync more with the rest of the clubs in the bag.
    6) You can sell driver and pocket the money, potentially many's hundreds.
    7) Into the wind it doesn't balloon up like a driver can.
    8) Half the price of a new driver.

If you hit your driver well then lucky you. For me, the driver is a troublesome club, its addictive because sometimes i hit it right and drive a par 4 in one and I feel great, but a lot of the time, the flaws i have honestly make it more trouble than its worth.

Might consider dropping the driver, and crossover, and investing in a 5 wood to go with this 3 wood and just getting to grips with them.

@Want2GetGood said:

@smashdn said:

@peachfuzz said:

For me personally, the most I have done on gc2 is 327, that was 117 with ping g400 lst. I did that ONCE and its not an average, probably late 280's-290's is average.
    I got 302 with 3 wood today, but hand on heart, after I turned the camera off, i hit a few off the deck and one went 316.
    My point is, this 3 wood is a viable driver replacement.

1) on bad shots its lower flight is not as destructive as driver.
    2) It frees up a club in the bag for an extra wedge.
    3) You can paly it off the deck so more versatile than a driver and not that much shorter when you nail it right.
    4) You will use it more than the driver so should get better with it.
    5) Shorter shaft should keep you in sync more with the rest of the clubs in the bag.
    6) You can sell driver and pocket the money, potentially many's hundreds.
    7) Into the wind it doesn't balloon up with the driver.

If you hit your driver well then lucky you. For me, the driver is a troublesome club, its addictive because sometimes i hit it right and drive a par 4 in one and I feel great, but a lot of the time, the flaws i have honestly make it more trouble than its worth.

And how many times have you hit those shots on an actual golf course?

• BrennanfBrennanf Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

300b yards with a 3W is poke. I'll be quick to admit I can't hit a driver that far

• northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Brennanf said:
    300b yards with a 3W is poke. I'll be quick to admit I can't hit a driver that far

Only on WRX is 300 with anything not a poke.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@pinhigh27 said:
    Santiago Golf wrote:

Smash Factors wrote:

I can't remember who it was, but one of the guys on this forum was saying that a lot of guys "Pigeon Hole" themselves by limiting their options for hitting off the tee. He said it's good to have several options for your tee shot. I thought those were interesting statements.

So no, I wouldn't take the driver out of the bag. Keep in around and use it. Use the 3 wood for shorter holes and tighter fairways.

I not one the one who posted it, but I agree. Certainly for long hitters. I am WRX long and have options off the tee.

Driver- Fairway Finder 285-295 carry (mid launching cut), Bomb.com 300-310 carry (High, Low spin Fade). I will use the Bomb.com once every 5 rounds, not necessary on the course I play.

3 wood: Mid Cut 275-285 carry, Stinger 255-260 carry

Hybrid: Tower 230 carry, Mid Fade 245-255 carry, Stinger 225-235 carry

3 iron: Stinger 215-220 carry, Twirl It 230-240 carry

I am not Dustin Johnson with my full swing wedges (will be working on this during the off season), so I'd rather have my 7-Pw in than have to fell a wedge shot.

cool story

You say cool story....I was thinking to myself "really? You name these different shots lol? 'Tower'...'Twirl it' and.... My favorite...'Bomb.com' "

Just having fun Santiago but it's good stuff!

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Don't mind me, I'm just laying here in the fetal position clutching my 225 yard driver and crying myself to sleep reading this thread......

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

@golfer07840 said:
    Don't mind me, I'm just laying here in the fetal position clutching my 225 yard driver and crying myself to sleep reading this thread......

I got beat by a 73 yr old man in a comp who drove about the same distance as you :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file