Why did you get rid of your PXG irons?

LHGolf4LHGolf4 Lefty Boomers Posts: 431 ✭✭
Yesterday I stopped by a local club fitter and they sell PXG irons. I was really just going in to kill time but while I was there I tried out a couple of irons including an 0311T 7 iron on their launch monitor. I really liked the feel and the numbers were really good for my swing. With that said for those of you who bought a set and got rid of them, what was the main factor? I am considering getting a set but I want to hear from those who have already been down the road and moved on before making a decision.
Tagged:

Comments

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,948 ✭✭
    Well, the supermodel I've been dating didn't like them. She thought they diminished her appeal.
  • LHGolf4LHGolf4 Lefty Boomers Posts: 431 ✭✭
    Now that is an honest answer image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
  • SushiyoshiSushiyoshi Members Posts: 1,180 ✭✭
    I moved on to PGX
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,599 ✭✭
    I couldn't keep up with the payments. : (
    Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 54/58
    Odyssey 1 WS putter
  • JMH1220JMH1220 Members Posts: 752 ✭✭
    gc444 wrote:

Yesterday I stopped by a local club fitter and they sell PXG irons. I was really just going in to kill time but while I was there I tried out a couple of irons including an 0311T 7 iron on their launch monitor. I really liked the feel and the numbers were really good for my swing. With that said for those of you who bought a set and got rid of them, what was the main factor? I am considering getting a set but I want to hear from those who have already been down the road and moved on before making a decision.
    I think those that have might feel a little embarrassed by spending that much and then turning around and selling them. You won't hear from many is my guess
  • Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    There's definitely some out there for sale, but not a crazy amount.

When people buy high ticket items, they expect a lot out of them. I have no doubt that everyone that's bought them has liked them, but it's hard to sit and look at an expensive set of irons like that, which are diminishing in value by the swing, and not be truly happy with them. I'm guessing that they weren't the miracle some people were hoping for and the performance didn't warrant their price.

Working retail several years ago, the most returned items were always the most expensive ones. People buy them, get good results but not enough to warrant the cost, so they bring it back while they still can.
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
    Callaway BBA (2014)
    Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
    Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
    Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled
  • Pure745Pure745 CPC #15 Members Posts: 11,487 ✭✭
    Distance control = horrible

Too much bounce and soles are too wide
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist TS3 8.5 - Fujikura TR7
    Titleist 917F2 15 - Fujikura Speeder 857 Evo2 Proto
    Mizuno 919T - KBS CTL
    Mizuno S18 46/50
    [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey 54V/60V
    Scotty Cameron 009 Tool Box

Instagram: @pure745 https://www.instagram.com/pure745/[/font]
    JMH1220 wrote:

gc444 wrote:

I think those that have might feel a little embarrassed by spending that much and then turning around and selling them. You won't hear from many is my guess

Yeah I can see that being a big reason. Fortunately this is not one of those "I gotta have it" feelings on this set of irons (definitely makes it easy when they are this expensive).

Pure745 wrote:

I agree the 0311 set is way too wide, but the 0311T was much more appealing (I play Callaway XR irons) which is why I hit the T and not the regular. That is not the first time I have heard distance control mentioned.
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 5,017 ✭✭
    Pure745 wrote:

This me with trying to go to AP2 from MP59. The soles are huge compared to the MP59. It took a month to adjust.
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    You will get some assurance if you have them built by a custom guy like mine -- www.aceofclubstp.com -- that even has weights manufactured for him so all is to exact specs (and not PXG).

Look, there is no manna from heaven iron for all people. I remember Pure745's review and how he'd have a few shots per round overshoot his distance - I guess that's horrible to him. Depends on your game and expectations. I'm not that consistent and never will be --

I have a few PXG 0311 irons -- they do feel great, are extremely forgiving, look great, launch high and deliver distance. I could have gone with other irons and been happy. The PXGs have a variety of attributes that I like and I'll keep them 4-5 years. I keep headcovers on mine -- the only irons for which I've ever used covers - just don't want anyone to know what I play -- don't want them taken. It's a golf club - buy what fits you. I'm happy with them.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,812 ✭✭
    too cheap. Bought Bentley clubs instead
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • adizeroadizero Members Posts: 577
    Didn't win a Major this year, So they went straight to Goodwill!
    Nike Covert 2.0 10.5*
    Callaway Fusion 13.5*
    KZG Forged II M CB 3-PW Rifle 5.5 +1"
    Cleveland T/A 900 Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
    Ping Anser 35" (2001)
    OGIO Sport "Stinger SKV" bag
    TaylorMade TPx, Callaway Chrome+, Srixon Q-Star Tour
  • GWDGWD garywdixon Members Posts: 1,666
    I have a question for the OP.

Why are you thinking about getting rid of your XR set? Complaints?

What is the big difference that would make you switch to PXG (given the price)?
    > Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
    > GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
    > XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
    > Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
    > Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
    > Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
    > Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,117 ClubWRX
    I have a friend who has a set and I will say that he is hitting them extremely well. A lot more irons are going straight and getting close to the hole. He is very satisfied.
  • rodinhorodinho Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    A lot of guys who play pxg say that they hit them better than their old set. Is this maybe because they're spending such a premium that they're making sure they're being fit properly for them? Maybe it's the fact that they have clubs which are properly fitted that they have improved?

Just a thought.
  • soap1984soap1984 Members Posts: 715 ✭✭
    Most people who buy new sets on this site say they are hitting them better regardless of the brand, then two weeks later they are on the bst. I went back to my s55 after a one month experiment with ap2, just didn't feel confident. Unlike others here who despise pxg, I don't blame the clubs they just didn't work FOR ME.

How can soles be too wide when they have a smaller soled model in the T? What a dumb comment

Epic Flash - Diamana BF 
    Ping G - 17 Hybrid
    Ping G410 - 19 Hybrid
    Titleist TMB 4 Iron, AP2 5-PW (modus 105)
    Vokey SM7 50, 56, 62
    Spider x
  • ob1soccerob1soccer Members Posts: 1,140 ✭✭
    grass is always greener
    Titleist 915 D2 Aldila Rogue Silver 60s
    Titleist 913F Aldila Tour Green 75s
    Titleist 913H Aldila Tour Green 85s
    Titleist T-MB 5-GW w/Steelfiber 110s
    Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges 54/58
    Scotty Cameron California putter
    Titleist Prov1x golf ball
  • JJuel5JJuel5 Members Posts: 122
    I wish I could just get some PXGs. I would worry about why I got rid of them later image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Nike Covert 2.0 Tour
    Nike Vapor Fly 3w+
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW
    Cobra King 52*
    Titleist Vokey 56*
    SeeMore Corona Del Mar X4
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Members Posts: 6,419 ✭✭
    If you're a blade guy, they won't work for you. I couldn't be happier with mine.
    Ping G410+ 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 (X)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • stage1350stage1350 If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything. Members Posts: 10,238 ✭✭
    soap1984 wrote:

...How can soles be too wide when they have a smaller soled model in the T? What a dumb comment

The dumb comment would be yours. The person you are calling out played both the 0311 and 0311t irons. If you did further research, you'd also realize that is a person that has come from true player's forgings before trying out PXG, including blades from Scratch, Nike, Fourteen, and Titleist. Perhaps you'd like to go 2 for 2 and try to attack him on his opinion about bounce as well?

You are correct when you state that the clubs didn't work for him. Ironically, that was the purpose of this thread. The OP was looking for the reasons that people went away from PXG. He wasn't looking for the bootlicks and sycophants to come in here and defend the faith. We have plenty of those threads already.

These PXG guys are getting as bad as the Cameron guys.
    Tour Issue Bridgestone J715 B5 9.5° / Project X T1100 75g 6.5 flex ___OR___ TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX
    TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5 flex ______________ TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX
    TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5 flex____________ TC Callaway Epic hybrid 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X
    DLC Black Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7_________ Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7
    DLC Black Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54°&60 / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7___ Scratch FIT DS 54°&60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7
    Bettinardi BB2 Prototype Copper Plated _______________________________ Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade

They can keep erasing this. They simply prove my point... censors.
    GWD wrote:

I have a question for the OP.

Why are you thinking about getting rid of your XR set? Complaints?

What is the big difference that would make you switch to PXG (given the price)?

Always a bit of club ho. Also I have never been super excited about the feel of the XR's. The XR's perform good, but I was getting 10 more yards carry on the PXG 7 iron vs my XR. As I said this is not something I just have to get, the extra yardage was nice but I loved the feel. I know there are no magic golf clubs, mainly just wanted to get some perspective from someone who already pulled the trigger.
  • Kidz2feedKidz2feed Members Posts: 430 ✭✭
    Pure745 wrote:

Ditto on the distance control. I've played a lot of PING clubs, so the sole was not a big factor. I just found there were spots on the clubface that launched the ball into space.
    TaylorMade M5 10.5 Fuji Atmos Black 5S
    Callaway Epic SubZero 16.5 ProjectX Smoke 70 6.0
    Mizuno CLK 19 Fuji Speeder
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4 iron Recoil F4
    Mizuno 919 Forged 5-PW i95
    Vokey SM7 Blue 50F 54S 60(59)M
    Scotty Cameron 330g Circle T Newport 2
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,069 ✭✭
    Lack of feel/feedback.

Too much offset.

Didn't like the hosel to leading edge transition at all.

Distance control was not great especially on partial shots.

Lofts were WAY too strong and bounce was too high when I bent them to normal lofts.

Scores were higher after I switched to them.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)

Lack of feel/feedback.

Too much offset.

Lofts were WAY too strong and bounce was too high when I bent them to normal lofts.

I am guessing you tried the non T model as the offset is less and lofts are closer to normal (at least compared to my XR irons). But that is still the type of information I was interested in. Thanks for the feedback.
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    edited Aug 17, 2016 #26
    rodinho wrote:

A lot of guys who play pxg say that they hit them better than their old set. Is this maybe because they're spending such a premium that they're making sure they're being fit properly for them? Maybe it's the fact that they have clubs which are properly fitted that they have improved?

Just a thought.

Was fitted for last 3 sets of irons - 5 years ago, and 2.5 years ago, and now PXG. More yards with PXG. In a perfect world, I'd have my Edel iron grind on the PXG - think I would gain a few more yards.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,069 ✭✭
    edited Aug 17, 2016 #27
    gc444 wrote:

Lack of feel/feedback.

Too much offset.

I am guessing you tried the non T model as the offset is less and lofts are closer to normal (at least compared to my XR irons). But that is still the type of information I was interested in. Thanks for the feedback.

Actually I had the Ts not the normal ones. I am however a notorious hater of offset. Also I wonder how many that talk about how long these irons are have checked the actual lofts on them. Mine came in 3-4* stronger than stated specs. My PW was 43*!
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • ScottyrocketScottyrocket Members Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Ditto some of the comments here. I went to 716 AP2 after playing 0311. My misses with the AP2 don't fly off the planet like they do with the 0311. Also I can flight the AP2 down and with the PXG it was very difficult to do.

I never did a full analysis of why this is but my scores were higher with the 0311 so it's not fair to blame just the irons given all the other factors that go into scoring. I think it may have to do with the larger miss and the lack of awareness on my part of the proper distance for these irons. I also don't like the fat sole on these irons.

I will say that the 0311 have awesome feel.
  • brentbrent Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭
    Bought mine for a great price with KBS Tour V's. Actually lost distance because I hit them a mile high. Sold em, got my money back and ordered a set with DG Tour S400's. Not embarrassed at all. I'm a club ****.
  • VesparVespar Members Posts: 138 ✭✭
    edited Aug 17, 2016 #30
    PXG are like Dyson vacuum cleaners or yeti coolers .... another consumer product that cost a lot and really doesn't do much else than other club offerings. Golf is about putting the ball in the hole.... Save your money and take a lesson....
  • hammy83hammy83 Members Posts: 1,831
    I traded mine in for a Hyundai accent