Why did you get rid of your PXG irons?

LHGolf4

This thread is exactly what I was looking for in research!! I am in the same boat in starting to look for a new iron set . I have had Yuro Craft Mizuno MP-62's (2 sets) for the past 6 years . I went to a friends shop to start looking at heads to see if he had anything or if I should just start hunting for another set of MP-62's . He gave me the 0311T's and I have to say the head looked OK , but I could not get used to the feel/ sound they made . I hit the 7iron on a dead flat all grass range and visually felt that almost every shot was a "flyer" . We had set up the PXG to match my 62's for L/L/L/SW and Grip . I also felt that distance control was really tough with them as they did give me the sensation of a flyer ball flight .

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

i was lucky enough to hit the 0311 model in a 7 iron. Feel was very good. mishits as well. I did not see a big difference in distance but my other playing partners did. They look great from the back but they are way too wide for me now. I love my Titleist 716 t-mb's. I was curious about PXG because I am a club ho but they did nothing for me. I understand those who like them,no criticism here but for me it was not a big deal at all.

I really appreciate all the feedback (both positive and negative) on this subject as this has been very informative. I plan on hitting them again later on this week and this time I will take my XR irons down to do a direct comparison as well as hit the JPX EZ Forged as that was what I originally started hitting before I saw the PXG. I will be interested in seeing how the numbers hold up compared to the first session. However if anyone has any additional feedback I definitely welcome it.

I had my set for a year and they were not consistent for me. I tried everything I could to like these but the occasional flier off of good lies cost me too many strokes in tournaments. That and the issues of having a face crack during a tournament really did it for me.

[size=3][b][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM M3 440 - MCA Tensei Pro Orange 60TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Rogue 15 - [/font][/color][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MCA Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Apex 20 - GD Tour AD DI Hybrid[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM P790 4-PW - Modus 120s[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FOURTEEN RM Tour Issue 50, 54, 60 - Modus Black 125[/font][/color][/b][/size][b]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SCOTTY CAMERON Custom Mid Slant 009 Tour[/font][/color][/b]
[b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]IG: dphatt[/font][/size][/b]

OP Title reminds me of the old joke, "When did you stop beating your wife?". Why do most people get rid of clubs that they have tested and been properly fit for? Because they're club ho's and it's against the rules to keep the same clubs more than a few months.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I believe the PXG's are like any clubs. They won't be right for everyone. I have almost always played blades. Always prefered the small heads, less offset, etc of a blade head. I work in a golf shoo and we started carrying PXG'S earlier this year. I hit both models with different shafts and found the 0311 non t worked better for me. Wasn't stoked about the bigger heads, more offset, more bounce, larger soles but the numbers were good over my Cobra King Pro cb/mb combo set.

Played about 6 rounds with the PXG's now and i haven't shot worse then 79 yet. I am more confident with them and my scores show that. To me they have been worth the cost. But i fit people every day for clubs and not everyone has similar results with them. Doesn't mean the clubs are crappy. Just means they don't fit everyone.

...How can soles be too wide when they have a smaller soled model in the T? What a dumb comment

The dumb comment would be yours. The person you are calling out played both the 0311 and 0311t irons. If you did further research, you'd also realize that is a person that has come from true player's forgings before trying out PXG, including blades from Scratch, Nike, Fourteen, and Titleist. Perhaps you'd like to go 2 for 2 and try to attack him on his opinion about bounce as well?

You are correct when you state that the clubs didn't work for him. Ironically, that was the purpose of this thread. The OP was looking for the reasons that people went away from PXG. He wasn't looking for the bootlicks and sycophants to come in here and defend the faith. We have plenty of those threads already.

These PXG guys are getting as bad as the Cameron guys.

So let me get this straight, I am a moron in your opinion because I didn't adequately research every club some random guy has played over the past 5 years? Geez I'd hate to see what you think of the researching skills of a guy who spends probably $8000 on two sets of pxg clubs knowing full well what the sole width is, and then complains about the soles being too wide.

He's probably right that extra mm or two on the sole width makes them trash...

• Haha 1

My buddy has PXG irons and was gushing about hitting them almost a full club longer, like I see on here. Then we checked the lofts...

Oops! :cheesy:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

...How can soles be too wide when they have a smaller soled model in the T? What a dumb comment

The dumb comment would be yours. The person you are calling out played both the 0311 and 0311t irons. If you did further research, you'd also realize that is a person that has come from true player's forgings before trying out PXG, including blades from Scratch, Nike, Fourteen, and Titleist. Perhaps you'd like to go 2 for 2 and try to attack him on his opinion about bounce as well?

You are correct when you state that the clubs didn't work for him. Ironically, that was the purpose of this thread. The OP was looking for the reasons that people went away from PXG. He wasn't looking for the bootlicks and sycophants to come in here and defend the faith. We have plenty of those threads already.

These PXG guys are getting as bad as the Cameron guys.

So let me get this straight, I am a moron in your opinion because I didn't adequately research every club some random guy has played over the past 5 years? Geez I'd hate to see what you think of the researching skills of a guy who spends probably $8000 on two sets of pxg clubs knowing full well what the sole width is, and then complains about the soles being too wide.

He's probably right that extra mm or two on the sole width makes them trash...

No. If anything you are a moron due to your lack of reading comprehension. Nobody called you a moron and nobody called the irons trash. But feel free to keep being a drama queen.

You are ASSuming an awful lot in your post...

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Do people who shoot 85 buy PXG's?

Of course they do. Disposable income and the promise of money buying a game is the lure. Chris Berman and Charles Barkley are at the head of the line.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

Do people who shoot 85 buy PXG's?

Funny you say that, because that is about what my average score has been this year. I used to shoot in the mid and upper 70's but did not play very much for 6 years or so the scores have gone up. My last round should have been closer to 80 but some missed putts and two bad holes kept the score higher than I wanted. All that said I don't think I will magically start shooting back in the 70's without continued practice no matter if I buy them or not. I was impressed with the feel and consistency on the launch monitor (the extra 10 yards was also a nice bonus).

PXG is definitely a hot button. I will say this,they look very cool to me from the bag. You can bet that you will have a conversation piece for sure. 2 of my playing partners were impressed. They are hard to please. Both agreed that if these irons were $1200 a set instead of ????? then they would have them in the bag. This is coming from hard to please,$400 a set maximum kind of guys. The price is simply to high for them. They cannot fathom spending that kind of money on a set of clubs. Both could buy them if they really wanted them. It's a choice and I would not criticize anyone who buys them.

Played brother's XR irons, not a fan here.

The PXG, hey, they sure look peculiar, aesthetically.

Wonder how they feel.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I have no problem with anybody shooting mid 80s. In the grand scheme of things, an 85 is pretty good. My dad shoots anywhere from 80-90, mostly 85-90. I play with him all the time, and imagining a player like that playing PXG's is insane to me. It's like a person buying a Lamborghini and never going above 65mph. If that's how fast you're going to go, that's fine, but you might as well have just bought a BMW.

I have no problem with anybody shooting mid 80s. In the grand scheme of things, an 85 is pretty good. My dad shoots anywhere from 80-90, mostly 85-90. I play with him all the time, and imagining a player like that playing PXG's is insane to me. It's like a person buying a Lamborghini and never going above 65mph. If that's how fast you're going to go, that's fine, but you might as well have just bought a BMW.

So based on your logic only someone that shoots in the 70's or better should buy these clubs?

My buddy has PXG irons and was gushing about hitting them almost a full club longer, like I see on here. Then we checked the lofts...

I would agree they are about a club longer, but they are not a club "harder" to hit if that makes sense. In other words, yes, the 5 iron is 24 degrees (like many 4 irons) but I find it is easier to hit as some other irons loft for loft.

I recently picked my set of 0311's up and have only played with them 2 rounds so far. So far I'm pleased. I did get some mixed results, but the clubs weren't to blame. I hit some horrifically fat shots which is purely on me but what I found strange is that I don't recall doing that my old set, perhaps I was just too anxious and releasing too early? Or it was just a coicidence / swing fault that particular weekend.

On the flip side I hit a bunch of very good shots with them and they are definitely going a club longer than my old irons. Whether it's the loft or not, they're still flying the right height with a beautiful ball flight.

I'll check back in a few weeks after I've played them a dozen or so times before I write a review.

In response to the OP, I think it's very likely that many people will sell these irons - simply because of the price. If they buy them and they're not seeing (significant) improvements in their game to justify them, they'll get rid of them. With that being said, a lot of people seem to be happy with them. The bottom line is they aren't magic clubs, a bad swing is a bad swing and no club is going to fix that.