Is skiing too dangerous for serious elite junior golfers?

13»

Comments

• CDLgolfCDLgolf Members Posts: 835 ✭✭
    Skiing is fun. Everyone should ski.
    Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Gorge 56 & 60
    Odyssey
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 873 ✭✭
    My 8YO and I have been skiing twice already this month with another trip scheduled this coming Saturday.
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,700 ✭✭
    No. Next question.
  • CTgolfCTgolf Members Posts: 419 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

Obviously no clue how dangerous this is for an elite level player...

MR4vYNH.jpg

“...but I’m taking it easy on the slopes. Too much to look forward to this year.”

Wonder what he meant by that?
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 822 ✭✭
    Let them be kids, play and do whatever until they decide they want to focus on one thing. No guarantees of anything so live with fewer regrets of what I should have done. Maybe they are better Skier’s than golfers.
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 215 ✭✭
    with all due respects, the people who say "let kids do whatever" are misguided and in my opinion not good parents

hardly any young children know what is best for their growth and development, and even a smaller % understand the long term consequences and risks associated with an activity

I don't have any specific issue with skiing, but in general parents who think children should be able to decide what, where and when to do something are not doing their job as a parent properly

it is up to the PARENTS (maybe with some guidance from a coach) to decide what is best for THEIR KID, not some random internet person who has no clue about the child, the parent or the family dynamic
    oh and happy SOLAR NEW YEAR
  • Tannerbug33Tannerbug33 Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    If I didn't let my kid do what ever he wanted we wouldn't be playing golf. They need to be kids and explore options and find what there love truly is.

If I didn't let my kid do what ever he wanted we wouldn't be playing golf. They need to be kids and explore options and find what there love truly is.

I'm confused - is golf considered dangerous, thereby putting at risk a child's ability to participate or compete at something else at a high level?

Example: I would never let my teenage son ride a motorcycle, ever
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,063 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:

I'm confused - is golf considered dangerous, thereby putting at risk a child's ability to participate or compete at something else at a high level?

If I were your teenage son I would do it just to spite you.

TigerMom wrote:

If I were your teenage son I would do it just to spite you.

If you were my son you wouldn't have the bad 'tude you display
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭
    By far, the most dangerous activity any junior will participate in is the drive to the golf course. When they get old enough, probably they will be allowed to drive, which is an hysterically dangerous prospect for any child in a urban area.
    Football is another activity that is dangerous for kids over a long period of time

It is a no-brainer, pun intended

I know this will make some ppl go crazy but the research is conclusive about CTE
    edited Jan 2, 2019 4:42pm #75
    No golf is not dangerous. But the only reason we play golf is because he made the free decision to do it. Not me not his mama.

Him himself and only him. He was riding dirt bikes prior to playing golf. He wanted to race but never got into it because of our location. He sold his bike to buy his 1st set of real clubs.

But had he seriously wanted to pursue motocross we would have backed him because it is his passion not his parents. The most satisfying thing we get as parents is watching out kids develop at something he is good at and something he has a desire.

But I have been thinking about how neglected he is and maybe he needs to go skiing. He might be the next Brodi Miller

Oh yeah he just finished up football that is another sport he loves.

No golf is not dangerous. But the only reason we play golf is because he made the free decision to do it. Not me not his mama.

Him himself and only him. He was riding dirt bikes prior to playing golf. He wanted to race but never got into it because of our location. He sold his bike to buy his 1st set of real clubs.

But had he seriously wanted to pursue motocross we would have backed him because it is his passion not his parents. The most satisfying thing we get as parents is watching out kids develop at something he is good at and something he has a desire.

But I have been thinking about how neglected he is and maybe he needs to go skiing. He might be the next Brodi Miller

Oh yeah he just finished up football that is another on sport he loves.

I sincerely hope his brain is ok long term

We will never know how much damage since can’t prove a counter factual
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,713 ✭✭
    CTgolf wrote:

leezer99 wrote:

Obviously no clue how dangerous this is for an elite level player...

MR4vYNH.jpg

“...but I’m taking it easy on the slopes. Too much to look forward to this year.”

Wonder what he meant by that?

Hes sticking to the corduroy bunny stuff. No moguls for FIGJAM.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
    TigerMom wrote:

Football is another activity that is dangerous for kids over a long period of time

I know this will make some ppl go crazy but the research is conclusive about CTE

Soccer is worse but gets better press.
    Turn over damnit!
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Betti-1
    K-sig
    Baitkiller wrote:

TigerMom wrote:

Soccer is worse but gets better press.

Yes I agree soccer is also bad over a long term

Anything that can damage the brain with much repetition should probably be avoided for kids in the long run

Boxing too
    I may have come off ruff. I am a paramedic. The biggest danger to this current generation of kids is Obesity. I had rather my kid be active on the football field on a ski sloop are on a motorcycle then setting behind a video game and getting fat.

Each sport I listed teaches a certain set of work ethic and skill set. I personally love him playing football because it is very physical and team oriented. We love golf for the critical thinking skills. And the fact that it is exactly the opposite of football.

He has recruited many boys from his football team to the golf side. Although none play as much as he does. My goal is for him to be a well rounded kid. He can talk to anyone. About just about anything. I would love for him to be the next Jorden Spieth but more importantly i would love for him to be a functioning member of society.

We where on a mission trip around thanks giving and it was a very poor area. Non of the kids could relate to golf school are anything else. But when he pulled a football out and started talking about that they where best friends.

And if you dont think riding a dirt bike is a workout. Buy you one and I'll take you riding. Last time I was on one I could barely walk for 3 days and I didn't crash. Just normal trail riding for 6 hours
    We could hang out Tanner. My son plays slot and corner. He and his pal the QB are the #1 and 2 players on the golf team and have been since 6th grade. .. I have 6 days at Winter Park / Mary Jane bought and paid for for spring break. Last family ski trip before my oldest goes off to boot camp. Also hazardous but its what he wants to do.

OP, this isn't a parenting site yet that's what this thread has morphed into unfortunately. The question to many of us smacks of being over protective. So what, who cares. Its your kid. Do what you think best. My son is not an "elite" golfer so I have no opinion of value. Have a great year.

John
    Turn over damnit!
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Betti-1
    K-sig