Modern fairway woods with steel shafts?

Wanted to know peoples thoughts on the idea of manufacturers including an option of a steel shaft on their new fairway woods and hybrids?

I think it would have been around 10 years since the last major manufacturer would have included the option and since then the club heads of fairway woods and hybrids have improved with distance and forgiveness increasing. The graphite shafts used definitely help gain further distance but I think that the old heavier steel shafted fairway woods have far better controllability.

The distance and forgiveness of a modern head and the controllability of a steel shaft I'd like to see.

Comments

• LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,085 ✭✭
    Don't think it would be a big seller. Just reshaft on. Plenty in expensive shafts out there
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,178 ClubWRX
    I doubt we will ever see that combo again in a factory build, but it is cheap to do if you wanted to swap in a steel shaft.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • Derek666Derek666 Members Posts: 1,482 ✭✭
    Yeah too many people want light weight now that i doubt it would be a big seller, but i wouldn't think it would be hard to stick a steel shaft in there?
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭
    I have steel shafts in my two utility irons because I’m looking for control, certain launch conditions over club head speed.

I do have graphite in my fairway woods.
    Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Odyssey RX9
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,169 ✭✭
    Derek666 wrote:

Yeah too many people want light weight now that i doubt it would be a big seller, but i wouldn't think it would be hard to stick a steel shaft in there?

Modern FWs and hybrids are designed to maximize the more efficient power transfer you get from graphite, as opposed to steel, shafts.

As others have said, you could always swap in a steel shaft. Since most hybrids have a .370" hosel, you could put in a parallel-tip iron shaft.

Most modern FWs, however, have a .335 hosel" for graphite. About the only .335" Wood-tipped steel shafts - that I know of - are the True Temper DG-Woods and the budget Command-Woods.

Anyone know of other brands with .335"-tipped steel shafts?
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • JBent9610JBent9610 Members Posts: 399 ✭✭
    ChipNRun wrote:

Most modern FWs, however, have a .335 hosel" for graphite. About the only .335" Wood-tipped steel shafts - that I know of - are the True Temper DG-Woods and the budget Command-Woods.

Anyone know of other brands with .335"-tipped steel shafts?

Nippon 950fw http://nipponshaft.c...steel_950fw.php

I have one in my MP Titanium 5 wood that I like a lot.

The TT Command shafts and DG wood shafts have both been discontinued.
    Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
    Super LS/Tisi Tec/RBZ Stage2/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
    Halo/4DX
    X-20/XL2000/EX-1/RaptureJ/GC Mid/Deep Red II
    ISI W2/EX-1
    685BX/X-Forged Vintage/GAS1 Forged/Eye2+
    WHP 2-Ball
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 389 ✭✭
    Can wrote:

Wanted to know peoples thoughts on the idea of manufacturers including an option of a steel shaft on their new fairway woods and hybrids?

I think it would have been around 10 years since the last major manufacturer would have included the option and since then the club heads of fairway woods and hybrids have improved with distance and forgiveness increasing. The graphite shafts used definitely help gain further distance but I think that the old heavier steel shafted fairway woods have far better controllability.

The distance and forgiveness of a modern head and the controllability of a steel shaft I'd like to see.

Amagad, loves me some steel fairway (and driver) shafts!

Totally support this.
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,185 ✭✭
    edited Mar 17, 2018 #9
    I used to be a big steel shafted fairway wood guy, but over the years, I've found there's an aspect to steel wood shafts that doesn't work with my game. They tend to spin too much for me. I've seen this with both Rifle and DG wood shafts.

Last year, I picked up a V Steel 15*, having found it for little money. I installed the Rifle shaft I'd used with my Trimetal some 15 years ago. Hit the course, it went nowhere, ballooned the holy **** out of it. So much for that.

If you're not a high spin player, it could work fairly well. For higher spin players, my experience is it's a sub-optimal exercise.

Edit: it's not only this V Steel usage that's given me these results. It's happened several times with various clubs...
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • Johnny_FairwayJohnny_Fairway South Jersey (Philly Burbs)Posts: 538 ✭✭
    I have steel shafts in my fairway woods. They work fine for me. But I've never tried graphite in them, so perhaps I just don't know what I'm missing.
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,888 ✭✭
    The weight of steel can help a few people but unlikely enough for the OEM's not to loose money on adding to the inventory. For the majority of their customers, "too heavy" can be just as problematic as "too light".
  • 27x10.527x10.5 Posts: 957 ✭✭
    I'd like to see a hickory option
  • MGFluFanMGFluFan Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I currently (2019) play steel shafts in all my clubs except driver. I have a much better ball flight and control with steel shafts with no noticeable loss in distance. There is no substitute for for steel feel. Steel is controllable and offers excellent stability and feel. People tend to get too caught up in chasing distance and forget to just play the game. I recently played against a player who could fly his driver over 300. He out drove me 30-40 yds., but he didn’t have the control needed to keep it in the fairway regularly. I was able to beat him by 5 in the end. My best advice to offer - just play the game.
  • brianmontgomery2000brianmontgomery2000 Members Posts: 759 ✭✭
    I'm having a steel shaft put into my new hybrid to match my iron set, so yeah, I'd like the option on Fwy woods...
  • Awainer1Awainer1 Members Posts: 849 ✭✭
    As much as I love the idea I just don’t think it makes sense anymore since graphite gives you so many options in profiling. You just don’t have that with steel.
  • defender2803defender2803 Handicap...it's over 9000!! Members Posts: 240 ClubWRX
    Was planning on putting a Hzrdus in a Pittsburgh Persimmon....
    Ping G10 Draw
    Ping G10 3w
    Ping E1 4-uw
    Ping i210 3i
    Ping Glide 56
    Ping Anser 2 Beni
    QuakeCon - Attendee, Volunteer, or Staff from 2004-present
  • JoePeteJoePete Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Can wrote:

I think the reasons you don't see it is the limited market. Performance-wise, whatever you can achieve with steel, I think you can replicate with composites - at least close enough for 99 percent of golfers. It more a question of feel. I think many people prefer steel in an iron given its weight and the sense of its being controllable, more consistent. The issue is not a lot of people are thinking distance control when they have a fairway wood in their hands. They want to see the ball fly.
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,888 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 5:10am #18
    Can wrote:

The only benefit to steel is that it's easier and cheaper to make them very heavy - that's really it. The problem is that (for fairways), the customer base that would need that much weight is so small that it would not justify the cost to make it an option. It's also the same reason why there are so very few fairway steel shaft options available to choose from. It's not worth it to spend any effort into developing any other (new) options.

Hybrids are slightly different. The customer base that would be interested is still quite small - but the good news is that really any iron shaft can be used in a hybrid or rescue so you have plenty of options available to choose from for a custom order.
  • T.B.T.B. Posts: 132 ✭✭

Was planning on putting a Hzrdus in a Pittsburgh Persimmon....
    😆💥💥