Ugly swings that play really well

I've seen some terrible swings that seem to come from guys who play like monsters. There was this one older guy in his 50's who swung way outside the line, swung over the top and looped the club in the follow through, and he shot 70 the day I played with him.



Another guy at my club who plays to a plus 2.5 handicap (50 years old) has a loop at the top of his swing, comes over the top, flips his hands violently at impact and slices the ball around 20 yards. But he aims way left, seems to keep it in play, never loses a ball, has a brilliant short game, and makes one or two birdies per round and rarely makes a bogey. His course management is also beautiful to watch. He never short sides himself, he always uses a 7 iron chip and run. He rarely leaves himself in bunkers, and when he does, he gets out every time. He slices the ball, so when the pin is on the left, he aims at the pin and fades it back towards the right side of the green. When it's the opposite, he fades it onto the pin and rarely misses the shot. He has a fantastic mind, and is a pleasure to play with in general, even though his swing looks ugly as ****.



I've seen people like this at all sorts of clubs, where they tend to have these unorthodox swings that play really solid games of golf. Mostly, even though they hit the ball all over the place (some hit it consistently, but others not) they seem to get up and down all the time, and almost never leave themselves out of position, especially on approaches. They use their brain on every shot, and seem to be able to manage their games really well as opposed to most where they just hit and hope. These guys know how to play golf to a very high level, and we should really gain an understanding of why these players play so well.



I think it boils down to these things:



1. Short game. These guys literally get up and down from everywhere

2. Course management. They never short side themselves, and they don't take driver on every hole despite being shorter hitters (most of the guys I'm referring to are older in age, 45-60)

3. They're just smart in general. The guy who slices the ball 20 yards always aims at the left side of the fairway (left edge usually) and slices it back to the middle. He doesn't aim it down the middle like an idiot, he plays for his shape of flight. Another guy I saw was behind a tree with a wide opening, but his hook didn't suit the shot. Instead of taking a 3 iron and going through the gap, he pitched out and made bogey. If he'd have taken the gap route he'd have made triple in a heartbeat.

4. They play subconsciously. This is big. They don't think about a million different things when they play. They go out and play. These guys I find rarely practice, maybe an hour per week, besides the game they have on Saturday or Sunday. But when they do play they play subconsciously, and they don't really think over the ball. They look, they choose, they do.



Any of you ever experience any of these types of golfers? Did they beat you by a significant margin? Were you surprised at their level of play despite their ugly swings?
"I have one brief comment today, and there is no chance, we're all human beings here, and there's no chance humanly possible that Tiger woods isn't hurting his back with a swing like that...no way."--Colin Montgomerie
«1

Comments

  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 1,967 ✭✭
    I always think of Palmer's cool commercials "swing your swing"



    My cap didnt truly drop to where I wanted until I stopped video taping my sessions and working on a 'pretty swing'. I hovered around a 5.X for many years and then flipped the script and went with Single length irons and 90 percent less technical practice. I watched my cap dive into the 2 range in a hurry and I think this year I'll see it sneak around 0 or 1.



    My main malfunction is that I have a pretty aggressive in-to-out move and when the pressure is on I play a pretty big slinger of a hook...



    The flip side of that is the fact I shot a 65 on Mens night Wednesday and havent lost a match in 2 years at my club (Sorry for the brag, just helping emphasize a point).



    As long as your basic action on the ball is solid and you can move a ball out there pretty well, a dialing in wedges, putts, minimizing OB's and playing a sound overall game did way more for me than having a really nice swing plane.
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭


    I've seen some terrible swings that seem to come from guys who play like monsters. There was this one older guy in his 50's who swung way outside the line, swung over the top and looped the club in the follow through, and he shot 70 the day I played with him.



    Another guy at my club who plays to a plus 2.5 handicap (50 years old) has a loop at the top of his swing, comes over the top, flips his hands violently at impact and slices the ball around 20 yards. But he aims way left, seems to keep it in play, never loses a ball, has a brilliant short game, and makes one or two birdies per round and rarely makes a bogey. His course management is also beautiful to watch. He never short sides himself, he always uses a 7 iron chip and run. He rarely leaves himself in bunkers, and when he does, he gets out every time. He slices the ball, so when the pin is on the left, he aims at the pin and fades it back towards the right side of the green. When it's the opposite, he fades it onto the pin and rarely misses the shot. He has a fantastic mind, and is a pleasure to play with in general, even though his swing looks ugly as ****.



    I've seen people like this at all sorts of clubs, where they tend to have these unorthodox swings that play really solid games of golf. Mostly, even though they hit the ball all over the place (some hit it consistently, but others not) they seem to get up and down all the time, and almost never leave themselves out of position, especially on approaches. They use their brain on every shot, and seem to be able to manage their games really well as opposed to most where they just hit and hope. These guys know how to play golf to a very high level, and we should really gain an understanding of why these players play so well.



    I think it boils down to these things:



    1. Short game. These guys literally get up and down from everywhere

    2. Course management. They never short side themselves, and they don't take driver on every hole despite being shorter hitters (most of the guys I'm referring to are older in age, 45-60)

    3. They're just smart in general. The guy who slices the ball 20 yards always aims at the left side of the fairway (left edge usually) and slices it back to the middle. He doesn't aim it down the middle like an idiot, he plays for his shape of flight. Another guy I saw was behind a tree with a wide opening, but his hook didn't suit the shot. Instead of taking a 3 iron and going through the gap, he pitched out and made bogey. If he'd have taken the gap route he'd have made triple in a heartbeat.

    4. They play subconsciously. This is big. They don't think about a million different things when they play. They go out and play. These guys I find rarely practice, maybe an hour per week, besides the game they have on Saturday or Sunday. But when they do play they play subconsciously, and they don't really think over the ball. They look, they choose, they do.



    Any of you ever experience any of these types of golfers? Did they beat you by a significant margin? Were you surprised at their level of play despite their ugly swings?




    5. They’re not deluded pro wish-I-weres.





    Good thread. I’ve been lucky to play with a lot of old dudes who hit it ugly and score it well. (I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before their influence takes hold.)
  • garytgaryt Members Posts: 267 ✭✭
    While never as good as many here, I played to an 8 without any real instruction. Pretty much swung all arms. When I decided to get a "proper" swing I started down the rabbit hole of ballooning to a 15 and now around a 12.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,355 ✭✭
    One of my buddies has never had a lesson in his life; plays between a +2.5 and +1 basically without fail.



    Swing is super loopy, addresses the hozle to the ball on all iron shots and chip shots. Doesn’t do anything stupid and always seems to miss it in a good spot.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny Members Posts: 460 ✭✭
    OP - A lot of those guys you described truly are very good, even with their swing faults................at playing THEIR course. They've usually played it so many times, they've learned how to overcome typical faults (like the guy you described with the huge slice). A lot of those guys fade the minute I see them in a tournament where they haven't learned to adapt all their swing faults. Now, certainly there are some who CAN travel with their strange swing and are quite successful. But, in a game of probabilities, I'd go with the guy with the fundamental swing and scoring ability more often than not.
  • breakingbadbreakingbad Members Posts: 112
    People say my swing has so much forward press they cant bare to watch. My son says I look like albert pujols in mid swing, but when i address the ball.



    Never had a lesson been playing 7 or 8 years and I know i can shoot in the 70's. Its the mental game that i struggle with.
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,624 ✭✭
    I started golf at the age of 54. Never took a lesson. In 2 years I was a 2 handicap.



    Its called "playing the game of golf", not "playing swing".



    If you play the "game" and not "swing" its not all that hard. Lots of people use "golf is hard" as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, any sport is hard, especially golf when you compare every round with perfection - PAR. Just play the game. When was the last time anyone in any sport, especially an amateur, had a perfect game?
  • dg_1983dg_1983 Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    I'd agree about the home course point. Alot of the guys like this I know don't travel well.



    2014 Low 2.9
    2015 Low 2.6
    2016 Low 2.1
    2017 Target 1.4
    2018 Target 0.4
    2019 Target +15
    Current 0.2
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,868 ✭✭
    596 wrote:


    I started golf at the age of 54. Never took a lesson. In 2 years I was a 2 handicap.



    Its called "playing the game of golf", not "playing swing".



    If you play the "game" and not "swing" its not all that hard. Lots of people use "golf is hard" as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, any sport is hard, especially golf when you compare every round with perfection - PAR. Just play the game. When was the last time anyone in any sport, especially an amateur, had a perfect game?
    image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' /> your either a super hero image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' /> or there was a typo and your missing a digit
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,624 ✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

    596 wrote:


    I started golf at the age of 54. Never took a lesson. In 2 years I was a 2 handicap.



    Its called "playing the game of golf", not "playing swing".



    If you play the "game" and not "swing" its not all that hard. Lots of people use "golf is hard" as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, any sport is hard, especially golf when you compare every round with perfection - PAR. Just play the game. When was the last time anyone in any sport, especially an amateur, had a perfect game?
    image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' /> your either a super hero image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' /> or there was a typo and your missing a digit




    No missing digits. It helps to have played sports for my whole life.
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    I was stunned and in shock when i first saw my swing on video 10 years ago ( picture Webb Simpson at 70 yrs old ) it' s that not cool looking, but it gets around most days 78-82 strokes.

    My son has a DL3 clone swing and just nods his head in approval when i show it to him on my phone. lol
  • HarleyweedwhacksHarleyweedwhacks Members Posts: 152
    596 wrote:

    2putttom wrote:

    596 wrote:


    I started golf at the age of 54. Never took a lesson. In 2 years I was a 2 handicap.



    Its called "playing the game of golf", not "playing swing".



    If you play the "game" and not "swing" its not all that hard. Lots of people use "golf is hard" as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, any sport is hard, especially golf when you compare every round with perfection - PAR. Just play the game. When was the last time anyone in any sport, especially an amateur, had a perfect game?
    image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' /> your either a super hero image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' /> or there was a typo and your missing a digit




    No missing digits. It helps to have played sports for my whole life.




    My uncle Earl played to a scratch handicap after two years. It's not that hard to believe.



    Another player who played well after a year or two was Greg Norman, who was scratch within a year and turned professional in two. Knowledge of sport certainly helps, but I doubt Greg Norman ever really though about his swing consciously by the time he was scratch. It was all subconscious from there. Of course, Greg wasn't "ugly", like me or some others who are completely self taught, but he certainly wasn't completely conventional.
    "I have one brief comment today, and there is no chance, we're all human beings here, and there's no chance humanly possible that Tiger woods isn't hurting his back with a swing like that...no way."--Colin Montgomerie
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 524 ✭✭


    I've seen some terrible swings that seem to come from guys who play like monsters. There was this one older guy in his 50's who swung way outside the line, swung over the top and looped the club in the follow through, and he shot 70 the day I played with him.



    Another guy at my club who plays to a plus 2.5 handicap (50 years old) has a loop at the top of his swing, comes over the top, flips his hands violently at impact and slices the ball around 20 yards. But he aims way left, seems to keep it in play, never loses a ball, has a brilliant short game, and makes one or two birdies per round and rarely makes a bogey. His course management is also beautiful to watch. He never short sides himself, he always uses a 7 iron chip and run. He rarely leaves himself in bunkers, and when he does, he gets out every time. He slices the ball, so when the pin is on the left, he aims at the pin and fades it back towards the right side of the green. When it's the opposite, he fades it onto the pin and rarely misses the shot. He has a fantastic mind, and is a pleasure to play with in general, even though his swing looks ugly as ****.



    I've seen people like this at all sorts of clubs, where they tend to have these unorthodox swings that play really solid games of golf. Mostly, even though they hit the ball all over the place (some hit it consistently, but others not) they seem to get up and down all the time, and almost never leave themselves out of position, especially on approaches. They use their brain on every shot, and seem to be able to manage their games really well as opposed to most where they just hit and hope. These guys know how to play golf to a very high level, and we should really gain an understanding of why these players play so well.



    I think it boils down to these things:



    1. Short game. These guys literally get up and down from everywhere

    2. Course management. They never short side themselves, and they don't take driver on every hole despite being shorter hitters (most of the guys I'm referring to are older in age, 45-60)

    3. They're just smart in general. The guy who slices the ball 20 yards always aims at the left side of the fairway (left edge usually) and slices it back to the middle. He doesn't aim it down the middle like an idiot, he plays for his shape of flight. Another guy I saw was behind a tree with a wide opening, but his hook didn't suit the shot. Instead of taking a 3 iron and going through the gap, he pitched out and made bogey. If he'd have taken the gap route he'd have made triple in a heartbeat.

    4. They play subconsciously. This is big. They don't think about a million different things when they play. They go out and play. These guys I find rarely practice, maybe an hour per week, besides the game they have on Saturday or Sunday. But when they do play they play subconsciously, and they don't really think over the ball. They look, they choose, they do.



    Any of you ever experience any of these types of golfers? Did they beat you by a significant margin? Were you surprised at their level of play despite their ugly swings?




    Yes. And it's irritating as ****.



    Mr K has the most horrendous take away wayy outside, hand very high at the top with the biggest chicken wing you ever saw. He wailes at the ball and his follow through is non existent. I can barely stand to watch him swing. Hes a 7i bump and run chipper too. Shoots mid 70s.



    Mr B regularly also shoots mid 70s, and I can only describe his swing as pretzel-like. Its atrocious.
    Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • MoshjeanMoshjean Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I have played with several of these guys, big over the top swing with that they can hit the target with. IMO better than dumped under, stuck, hooks but that’s debatable. Here’s my take:



    1. Most of them HAVE TO HAVE superlative short games or they wouldn’t be breaking 90. Definitely playing to their strengths.

    If I was an awful putter, (besides working on putting) I would work on my chipping to give me shorter putts or irons to have closer approach shots. The great short game springs from necessity.



    2. Most them aren’t long hitters, so they might shoot par on a short course and struggle to break 80 on a longer course.



    3. They are good at golf, not golf swing. Master tacticians with zero ego and play within themselves. This is something that players with “pretty” swings don’t always have. Especially the ego.





    The only thing that makes a swing ugly to me is bad rhythm. Some swings are unconventional for sure, but I have yet to see a swing with good rhythm and tempo that was ugly.
    Life is good
  • BookerBooker Members Posts: 733 ✭✭
    Mcgeeno wrote:


    I always think of Palmer's cool commercials "swing your swing"



    My cap didnt truly drop to where I wanted until I stopped video taping my sessions and working on a 'pretty swing'. I hovered around a 5.X for many years and then flipped the script and went with Single length irons and 90 percent less technical practice. I watched my cap dive into the 2 range in a hurry and I think this year I'll see it sneak around 0 or 1.



    My main malfunction is that I have a pretty aggressive in-to-out move and when the pressure is on I play a pretty big slinger of a hook...



    The flip side of that is the fact I shot a 65 on Mens night Wednesday and havent lost a match in 2 years at my club (Sorry for the brag, just helping emphasize a point).



    As long as your basic action on the ball is solid and you can move a ball out there pretty well, a dialing in wedges, putts, minimizing OB's and playing a sound overall game did way more for me than having a really nice swing plane.




    Totally agree Ive played some great golf hitting slinger hooks off the tee. I eliminate the right side off the course. 1 way miss can produce some great golf even though its not pretty to look at. If my driver doesn't cost me shots I'm rarely above 74-75. Play what allows you to score.
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,892 ✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

    596 wrote:


    I started golf at the age of 54. Never took a lesson. In 2 years I was a 2 handicap.



    Its called "playing the game of golf", not "playing swing".



    If you play the "game" and not "swing" its not all that hard. Lots of people use "golf is hard" as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, any sport is hard, especially golf when you compare every round with perfection - PAR. Just play the game. When was the last time anyone in any sport, especially an amateur, had a perfect game?
    image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' /> your either a super hero image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' /> or there was a typo and your missing a digit




    Golf isn't as hard as many make it out to be. Still a great accomplishment, though.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway BBA 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,354 ✭✭
    How 'bout a pretty swing that plays really bad?😊
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,647 ✭✭
    Some guys just play extremely well at their home course but are crap anywhere else. Where I grew up, there was a goat track of a course that wasn’t very long and was very easy. I never really played it much growing up other than in high school matches where I was forced to.



    The ultimate reigning club champion there was bragged about by the members of the course all of the time, but he hardly played anywhere else. And I would hear stories of how the club champion would shoot low 60’s there and I just paid no attention to it.



    One year, I decided to play in their member-guest as my grandmother’s long-time boyfriend didn’t have his usual partner available to play that year. I had never even met the reigning club champion before and when I did I was thoroughly unimpressed. He had one of those trolly bags where the club heads are placed on the bottom that looked like this:



    nd, many strokes ahead of the 3rd place finisher. But the club champion with the old fashioned pull cart bag and the To Kill a Mongoose swing system cleaned my clock.



    I was absolutely befuddled for a few years about him. Yes, it’s an easy course and it’s his home course, but the greens were slower than tar and he just promptly shoots 66-65-61 like it’s no thing and according to the members, he did that all of the time.



    I couldn’t understand why he didn’t play in tournaments outside of his home course because you would think he would fair reasonably well when you’re going THAT low.



    Then a few years later he did play an interclub tourney at my home course which wasn’t long and wasn’t that difficult. And he shot something like 82-85 and wasn’t even in the same galaxy as the medalist.



    Some guys just get extremely comfortable at their home course and somehow know every nook and cranny there is and take advantage of it.













    RH
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,716 ClubWRX
    edited May 14, 2018 #20
    I'll just leave this here.... ;-)



    http://www.golfwrx.c...s-the-handicap/



    And this other similarly-themed one....



    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1370756-lets-play-guess-the-handicap/



    Think it's time for me to do another one!!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,716 ClubWRX
    edited May 14, 2018 #21
    RichieHunt wrote:


    Some guys just play extremely well at their home course but are crap anywhere else. Where I grew up, there was a goat track of a course that wasn’t very long and was very easy. I never really played it much growing up other than in high school matches where I was forced to.



    The ultimate reigning club champion there was bragged about by the members of the course all of the time, but he hardly played anywhere else. And I would hear stories of how the club champion would shoot low 60’s there and I just paid no attention to it.



    One year, I decided to play in their member-guest as my grandmother’s long-time boyfriend didn’t have his usual partner available to play that year. I had never even met the reigning club champion before and when I did I was thoroughly unimpressed. He had one of those trolly bags where the club heads are placed on the bottom that looked like this:



    nd, many strokes ahead of the 3rd place finisher. But the club champion with the old fashioned pull cart bag and the To Kill a Mongoose swing system cleaned my clock.



    I was absolutely befuddled for a few years about him. Yes, it’s an easy course and it’s his home course, but the greens were slower than tar and he just promptly shoots 66-65-61 like it’s no thing and according to the members, he did that all of the time.



    I couldn’t understand why he didn’t play in tournaments outside of his home course because you would think he would fair reasonably well when you’re going THAT low.



    Then a few years later he did play an interclub tourney at my home course which wasn’t long and wasn’t that difficult. And he shot something like 82-85 and wasn’t even in the same galaxy as the medalist.



    Some guys just get extremely comfortable at their home course and somehow know every nook and cranny there is and take advantage of it.



    RH




    Great story, Richie, but I would submit that if that guy had decided to play more away golf and/or tournament golf, he would have pretty quickly developed a solid traveling game. The elements of scoring matter at all courses, be they long or short, tight or wide-open. Short hitters can play well at long courses, and long-wild players can learn to play short, tight courses. It just takes commitment and a willingness to play outside of one's comfort-zone for a bit.



    Without question, though, certain players' games favor certain conditions. The guy's bad score in the inter-club was probably more due to "traveling nerves" than anything else, if you ask me -- which you didn't ;-) . Maybe that and a course that did not suit him. That combination is humbling, of course! :-)



    Edited to ask: By the way, what the HECK course was that where you guys went low?!?! LOL!!
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,716 ClubWRX
    edited May 14, 2018 #22
    sdandrea wrote:


    How 'bout a pretty swing that plays really bad?��




    There are lots and lots and lots of those -- especially if you mean "a 3 handicapper with a beautiful swing who gets beat by +1 to +3 golfer whose swings are UGGGGGLEEEEEEEE!!!" :-)
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,892 ✭✭
    I think this "doesn't travel well" is a bunch of bunk. That can't be generalized to every person out there that fits the bill of having an unconventional swing. It can't even be related to a certain percentage.



    Even the PGA Tour pros play practice rounds.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway BBA 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,647 ✭✭
    Obee wrote:


    Great story, Richie, but I would submit that if that guy had decided to play more away golf and/or tournament golf, he would have pretty quickly developed a solid traveling game. The elements of scoring matter at all courses, be they long or short, tight or wide-open. Short hitters can play well at long courses, and long-wild players can learn to play short, tight courses. It just takes commitment and a willingness to play outside of one's comfort-zone for a bit.



    Without question, though, certain players' games favor certain conditions. The guy's bad score in the inter-club was probably more due to "traveling nerves" than anything else, if you ask me -- which you didn't ;-) . Maybe that and a course that did not suit him. That combination is humbling, of course! :-)



    Edited to ask: By the way, what the HECK course was that where you guys went low?!?! LOL!!




    The course is about 5,800 yards with a 66.4 rating. Very easy. What I remember was how slow the greens were and the day I shot 65 I was making a ton of putts that you just don't expect to make on greens that slow.











    RH
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,716 ClubWRX
    RichieHunt wrote:

    Obee wrote:


    Great story, Richie, but I would submit that if that guy had decided to play more away golf and/or tournament golf, he would have pretty quickly developed a solid traveling game. The elements of scoring matter at all courses, be they long or short, tight or wide-open. Short hitters can play well at long courses, and long-wild players can learn to play short, tight courses. It just takes commitment and a willingness to play outside of one's comfort-zone for a bit.



    Without question, though, certain players' games favor certain conditions. The guy's bad score in the inter-club was probably more due to "traveling nerves" than anything else, if you ask me -- which you didn't ;-) . Maybe that and a course that did not suit him. That combination is humbling, of course! :-)



    Edited to ask: By the way, what the HECK course was that where you guys went low?!?! LOL!!




    The course is about 5,800 yards with a 66.4 rating. Very easy. What I remember was how slow the greens were and the day I shot 65 I was making a ton of putts that you just don't expect to make on greens that slow.











    RH




    I MUST play this course! LOL!!! Sounds right up my alley....
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 1,967 ✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018 #26
    If I had witnessed a guy put up a tournament or competitive 61 I would think that game could travel anywhere. The length of the course would be a secondary thought to me. Its a special type of skill to go low and be comfortable with flirting with a 60 or close to it.



    I know we have a 8 or 10 time ex-club champ at our course. Hits his driver 225 max, carries 7 and 9 woods etc. Plays a big high banana cut, but can get up and down from inside a trash can.



    He's got the course record 60 at our home course and he's gone low all over our region. Not that low but he can flirt with par or better almost anywhere as long as you don't stretch him out to 7000+
  • NEhomerNEhomer Members Posts: 203
    Is the club head accelerating and descending into the back of the ball?



    Many varied swings that accomplish those two things may be used to score on a golf course.
  • HarleyweedwhacksHarleyweedwhacks Members Posts: 152


    I think this "doesn't travel well" is a bunch of bunk. That can't be generalized to every person out there that fits the bill of having an unconventional swing. It can't even be related to a certain percentage.



    Even the PGA Tour pros play practice rounds.




    I agree with this. Jim Furyk has a terrible swing, and yet plays on tour year after year. Allan Doyle hit big swooping draws with a swing he developed in tight quarters, and looked horrendous, yet was a relatively successful tour player.



    Of course, it can be true for some. Some do get so used to their home track that they don't travel well, and they shoot worse scores at other courses, but I don't think that's their ability, I think that's just not traveling enough and playing other courses on a consistent basis. When I'm getting used to a course I've never played I shoot poor scores too, because I've never played there before. But once I begin to see where to leave my ball and positioning with course management on that particular course, I shoot my normal scores.
    "I have one brief comment today, and there is no chance, we're all human beings here, and there's no chance humanly possible that Tiger woods isn't hurting his back with a swing like that...no way."--Colin Montgomerie
  • gators78gators78 ClubWRX Posts: 3,917 ClubWRX



    I think this "doesn't travel well" is a bunch of bunk. That can't be generalized to every person out there that fits the bill of having an unconventional swing. It can't even be related to a certain percentage.



    Even the PGA Tour pros play practice rounds.




    I agree with this. Jim Furyk has a terrible swing, and yet plays on tour year after year. Allan Doyle hit big swooping draws with a swing he developed in tight quarters, and looked horrendous, yet was a relatively successful tour player.



    Of course, it can be true for some. Some do get so used to their home track that they don't travel well, and they shoot worse scores at other courses, but I don't think that's their ability, I think that's just not traveling enough and playing other courses on a consistent basis. When I'm getting used to a course I've never played I shoot poor scores too, because I've never played there before. But once I begin to see where to leave my ball and positioning with course management on that particular course, I shoot my normal scores.




    Maybe not the best examples since Jim and Allen are pretty much dead perfect through impact. Forget what it looks like, you'll know really quick after seeing the ballflight how legit their swing is.
    G400 Max
    M2 3W, Hybrid
    Arias
    SM7s
    Sigma 2, Tyne 4
  • Quick BucketQuick Bucket Members Posts: 191
    Pretty is as pretty does.
    "Every battle is won before it's ever fought." -Sun Tzu
  • SomedayScratchSomedayScratch Members Posts: 545 ✭✭
    I've seen these types of guys before too. Who comes to mind for me is my college golf coach. He has very delayed wrist hinge, wild hips, then yanks the handle steep and jabs the club into the ball. It sounds worse than it is, but it is technically very poor, but looks relatively smooth. Anyways, his swing looks probably like a 5 or more handicap, but never makes any mistakes and has the best hands and short game I've ever seen from an amateur, so he plays to about a +2 maybe even a hair better. The only thing holding him back is he never really goes super low. He generally shoots 69-74 on our two home 6900 yard courses, but even on more challenging courses, he doesn't shoot much higher because his short game and course management is that good. He shot 75 at Augusta from the Masters tees. He now moved down to Scottsdale from the midwest for retirement so I'm sure he is even better now!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file