When is it time to "retire" a golf ball????

Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,396 ✭✭
edited May 23, 2018 in Golf Balls #1
Losing golf balls takes work at our course. Not an easy course, but only water on one hole and generous fairways. They've clearcut a lot of trees so even that shouldn't cause a problem. I find a fair #, but not looking too hard of late.

So 10 rounds in and 1 lost ball (still pissed and should have been found)........

Usually I just grab a few from the bag pocket and don't pay too much attention, but this week I finally got my Ksigs and and time to try them out.

Ball #1 made it through 54 holes. Maybe a minimal scrape but wondering if there is a maximum # of holes before I bring out a new one?

Comments

• 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,638 ✭✭
    I have no idea how long any ball will last. I play Callaway Chrome Soft and I have "broken" a few of them. I have no idea how long I played them, but I'm sure it was numerous rounds with one ball. One day on the 15 hole I nutted a drive that flew 30 or more yards short of where it should have been. I actually thought my driver was broken, didn't even think about the ball. The next 3 holes saw the same thing. I played the ball through 18. The next day I changed out the ball and the distance was back. It was not a broken driver, it was broken ball. The core can crack ruining the ball.

I'll use a ball for 3-4 rounds and then before it fails I move it to my shag bag.
  • bluefishercatbluefishercat Members Posts: 86 ✭✭
    You might have an opportunity for a record.

I generally lose one right after i say I've been playing this ball all.............
    Pete
    Cleveland Classic XL 10.5
    Taylormade Jetspeed 3HL
    Callaway Heavenwood
    Callaway X-16 4-PW
    Callaway 50, 56, 60
    Never Compromise Sub 30 S2
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,600 ✭✭
    I play them until I lose them.
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 #5
    It's easy to know when they are worn out - they don't fly true and I lose them. Annoyingly some of them appear to be worn out fresh from the sleeve image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

But more seriously I play them until I lose them. That probably means most balls only get through two or three rounds so I doubt any of them get the chance to wear out.
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    I could't say, never had one that lasted long enough to retire.
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 452 ✭✭
    I play them until I lose them or the cover gets chewed up from an excellent full wedge shot (or more likely a tree or cart path bounce)
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,463 ✭✭
    I don't lose a lot of balls because i am awesome.

Generally after maybe 4-5 rounds i find they are scuffed enough from my outstanding wedge play to toss them.

Typically i give them to our junior program because i am so benevolent.
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood CS 400g
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,715 ✭✭
    Neptune decides for me several times a round. I know some golfers have a system they use like double bogey = shag bag.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,915 ✭✭
    Learn to hit it longer , you'll have better chance to retire a golf ball.

Usually The cover starting to feel rough after a few rounds . Some striped cover could not be seen by eyes ) edge of the dimple ) but you could fell it by rubbing your fingers over the surface of the golf ball. If I have a golf ball been in use for more than a couple of rounds, it'll go into the practice shack bag .
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,396 ✭✭

You might have an opportunity for a record.

I generally lose one right after i say I've been playing this ball all.............

Yes I jinxed myself........
  • herbygolf21herbygolf21 Members Posts: 1,338 ✭✭
    After 500 holes.
    WITB:

Driver: PING G400 LST 8.5* at 7.9* w/ Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75X
    3 Wood: Cobra F8+ 3 w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2X)
    5 Wood: VACANT
    Driving Iron: TM Tour Preferred 18* UDI with KBS Prototype 105X
    Irons: Testing...
    Wedges: Callaway MD4 50 & 54 raw w/ Tour Issue S400 and a Callaway PM Grind 58* (with DG Spinner shaft)
    Putter: Directed Force Reno at 34 inches and 66* lie angle (Stability Tour Only blacked out putter shaft)

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • Johnny_FairwayJohnny_Fairway South Jersey (Philly Burbs)Members Posts: 554 ✭✭
    Sadly, I've never kept one safe long enough for it to wear out.

I did keep my first ball ever that I managed to not lose for an entire round. It was also the first time I broke 90. Those two events were strongly correlated.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,817 ClubWRX
    edited May 23, 2018 #14
    If you don't practice while you are playing with other people they last longer. ;-)
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 414 ✭✭
    I pulled a bright and shiny new Chrome Soft X turvis from my bag yesterday, teed up on a par 4 and crushed it..... Of course it went just right enough to slam into the cart path at full speed and scuffed it pretty bad. More experienced guys I play with would have wrote it off but it still played fine for me.

When I get a badly scuffed ball I will use it as my second shot ball when I have a course to myself and can play a few per hole. Take a safe shot with a good ball and use the scuffy for the "hero shots" that if they go into the woods or water I wont bother looking for them. Of course yesterday I couldnt lose that ball if I tried!!! Some game.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • KmacKmac Members Posts: 716 ✭✭
    A new ball on the first tee of a new round every time. After that if by some rare chance a ball makes it a whole round I put in the bag for later so if during a round that I'm spraying and praying a lot I'll use a old ball. If a huge or deep cut shows up I'll swap it out.
  • vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭
    with the ball like a Ksig or Prov type cover... they covers get "slick/smooth" where the grooves or the face no longer grab the cover. That's when I throw them away. I have a few in my shag bag that need to be thrown out
    Cobra LTD PRO 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60X
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
    Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
    2012 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW X100
    Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • datkisondatkison Members Posts: 85
    Just read an article yesterday which had a rep from Titleist saying that unless the ball hits a tree or cart path and has a large scuff or cut you can keep playing it, it won't wear out. And this from a guy trying to sell balls. Personally, I use it until it looks crappy.
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 414 ✭✭
    Does anyone pull out the shag ball when you're trying to carry a lot of water and dont want that new $5 one to land in the drink? Or is that just me?
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • GLF4EVRGLF4EVR Members Posts: 796 ✭✭
    Majority are lost. Next would be where the cover gets worn enough that the ball looses the ability to bite onto the green. I have had some that tend to go "flat" after so many rounds. This happens when you hit a ball that you know was struck well, but does not have the distance. After the 3rd time of it happening it becomes a shag ball or gets tossed into a pond. If I purposely hit the ball in the woods, I might find it later. This has happened, so I learned from that one at least.
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I play them until I lose them or they get to scuffed-up. There is a percentage of space on a golf ball that is scuffed before it loses its new capability. Generally if it has a scuff on it I'll toss it aside because it's a psychological thing as well.
  • jusmejusme Members Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Running your fingers over a ball is key for me. If I feel the slightest roughness (cover has got damaged enough) I won't play it in competition. Need to know that the cover is not damaged
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    36/45 holes seems to be the point that a golf ball loses its juice for me. Otherwise, I play them until they're completely dead
    edited May 26, 2018 #24
    Twism86 wrote:

Does anyone pull out the shag ball when you're trying to carry a lot of water and dont want that new $5 one to land in the drink? Or is that just me?

As few balls as I lose I still do this too...... Another 13 holes today (didn't complete the round). May retire it on Sunday.....
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,890 ✭✭
    When I've been on one of my better golf streaks I have played the same ball so long that the name brand has become almost unreadable. I have seen no performance issues using the same ball for several rounds of golf and will only replace such a ball out of shame. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,770 ✭✭
    18 holes.

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56*, 60* DGS300
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Members Posts: 1,513 ✭✭
    At my home course I rarely complete 18 with the same ball. If I do, the ball goes back loose into my ball bag and will get played again unless it is seriously scuffed.
  • Hat TrickHat Trick Members Posts: 555 ✭✭
    When it loses its shine or sheen and starts to pick up mud or dirt - around 54 holes.
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,346 ✭✭

Losing golf balls takes work at our course. Not an easy course, but only water on one hole and generous fairways. They've clearcut a lot of trees so even that shouldn't cause a problem. I find a fair #, but not looking too hard of late.

So 10 rounds in and 1 lost ball (still pissed and should have been found)........

Usually I just grab a few from the bag pocket and don't pay too much attention, but this week I finally got my Ksigs and and time to try them out.

Ball #1 made it through 54 holes. Maybe a minimal scrape but wondering if there is a maximum # of holes before I bring out a new one?

I pull a new one on every par 5
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
    85 & counting, though a couple of close calls Sunday...... Time to bring out a new one tomorrow.....

Playing first games away from my club finally this week....... Expect to lose some..... image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
  • golf_addict73golf_addict73 Jr. Boomers Posts: 234 ✭✭
    Kmac wrote:
    A new ball on the first tee of a new round every time. After that if by some rare chance a ball makes it a whole round I put in the bag for later so if during a round that I'm spraying and praying a lot I'll use a old ball. If a huge or deep cut shows up I'll swap it out.

I had to check the name for who wrote this because I would’ve said the absolute identical thing.

I always tee up with a new ball on the first tee. If I hit a ball out of play, in the water, etc, my drop will be with one of the few “used” balls in my bag. Depending on how I’m feeling at the end of that hole, I’ll either keep playing with it or pull out a new ball on the next tee.

Something mental for me about teeing up on the first tee with a new ball. It’s just a requirement to get my head in the game.
    Titleist TS3 KuroKage XT60 TX
    TaylorMade M3 15* Tensei Blue 75
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17* HZRDUS 6.5
    Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
    Mizuno MP-T7 50/06
    Mizuno MP-T7 54/08
    Mizuno MP-T7 58/12
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 33"
    TaylorMade TP5X