Putting Struggles

jonnyb03

Well, I'm trying to sell my third putter of the season. I have had and sold/traded a Cortino 2, '18 Newport 2 and now a Circa 62 #3 (340g). I just can't seem to get comfortable with any of them. I love the look of all them and was super exited and things went great in practice with all them, but just can't do it. Distance control is terrible and my aim has been all over. Think I'm gonna move too a mallet (x5, x7 or a Piretti) and see if things get better. I mean, there is zero chance that it is a me problem, certainly is all the putter.

Taylormade M1
Titleist 913F 13*
Mizuno MP-54
Vokey 52 and 56
Piretti Potenza II

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely can’t putt with any type of non mallet putter. The original 2ball changed golf for me. I’m a very average putter with any type of mallet I try. I went on a vacation and rented clubs. Pretty much same for me tee to green but I had about 8 3putts with the ping anser putter I had. Even from 3 feet I felt like I had no idea where I was aimed.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

I had a GoLo 5 about 4 years go and was at my lowest handicap. But, I really love the look of blades, so I made the switch and have never putted the same. I haven't played much in the last 3 yrs, so that maybe some of it. Unfortunately I just think I would benefit more from a mallet,

Taylormade M1
Titleist 913F 13*
Mizuno MP-54
Vokey 52 and 56
Piretti Potenza II

Well, I'm trying to sell my third putter of the season. I have had and sold/traded a Cortino 2, '18 Newport 2 and now a Circa 62 #3 (340g). I just can't seem to get comfortable with any of them. I love the look of all them and was super exited and things went great in practice with all them, but just can't do it. Distance control is terrible and my aim has been all over. Think I'm gonna move too a mallet (x5, x7 or a Piretti) and see if things get better. I mean, there is zero chance that it is a me problem, certainly is all the putter.

Feel free to give us a call at 615-435-8015. Would be more than happy to talk putting with you.

Go to a shop and hit everything and see what works.

Up until recently I’ve always played with some sort of answer style putter. Last few years a DH89 which I love. But recently, on a rainy day while killing time at a golf shop, started hitting all sorts of putter. Face balanced stuff like the Spider (nope, not for me!), other answer blade styles, and some mallets. The mallets really worked for me when they had a plumbers neck and some toe hang. A Bettinardi BB32 and a Piretti Bosa were the standouts.

Picked myself up a Piretti Bosa and threw my favorite grip on (Salty) and have been loving it! I thought I was an okay putter before, but I’m noticeably better now. Sinking way more putts in that 6-10’ range which is awesome. Everting I pick it up it just feels and looks right to me.

So yeah, find what works...it can make a huge difference in my experience. Still love my DH89.....but I putt better with my Bosa!

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I’ll have to head to Golf Galaxy this weekend and give that a shot. Went back to my Potenza II today and putted ok. Noticing that I def don’t hit the sweet spot very consistently, so my distance control is suffering. I feel as if I am lining putts up ok, but I’ll either blow it through the break or hit it too soft. Then naturally I do the opposite on the next putt.

Taylormade M1
Titleist 913F 13*
Mizuno MP-54
Vokey 52 and 56
Piretti Potenza II

Distance control issues, more often then not, end up being weight related issues - head weight, grip weight and how the two balance out with each other for your stroke. I'd suggest taking some time to figure that out before you worry about what the putter looks like or whether it's face balanced or how much toe hang. Those things can be important too but tend to be related more to your ability to aim and start the putt on the intended line.

If you want to make more putts I recommend you look at the side saddle thread on here.

In all seriousness, I was the exact same way, I struggled with solid contact and never started anything on line and the mishits jacked up my speed. I love blades, tried mallets, tried the CURE putters, grabbed a side saddle and haven't looked back.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I feel like the grip you’re using has a huge impact on distance control but maybe not so much on your aiming issues. I recently bought a large variety of grips and tried them on my putter with installing with air so I could reuse them. What feels best in the store might not give the best outcome I liked the feel of SS gtr and tour snsr but struggled putting with them. I ended up loving the lamkin crossline paddle and they’re only about $6 on eBay

I've concluded mallets do not help me. I end up putting the same over time. It's tension that kills me. My issue is relaxing over the ball when I struggle. I am a terrific practice green putter though.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

Do you have a particular tendency with your distance misses?

I used to use a heavy-ish mallet with a soft face insert and a slim 3.0 super Stroke grip.

Always struggled with distance, and tendency was to leave it short.

Recently went to a lighter Anser 2 with a hot face and midsize pistol grip. Distance control is greatly improved.

I think the overall weight, and balance of the putter aligns better with my internal beliefs about how far a putt should travel for any given stroke.

A previous post mentioned that.

I think putter MOI is way over rated. It’s more about your particular feels...and what putter is right for you. If you are blowing putts by the hole, then a heavier putter or a soft insert might be the ticket.

Here's one thing to check if you're having long-putt distance "issues". Takes ten minutes next time you're at the practice green.

Make a gate by placing two tees 1/2" more than your putter head width apart. Place the ball between them.

Then go through your entire routine for reading and rolling a 30-40 foot putt. Ignore the tees and just act like you are practicing that long putt. I would not be surprised if your putter clips one or the other of those tees during your stroke (for me, almost always the "inside" one).

Do this for three different long putts, an uphill, a sidehill and a downhill one. If you clip a tee with a couple of those strokes then you have an impact consistency issue. Any other changes you might make will be moot if you don't figure out how to roll a 30-foot uphiller without clipping a tee in the gate drill.

I've concluded mallets do not help me. I end up putting the same over time. It's tension that kills me. My issue is relaxing over the ball when I struggle. I am a terrific practice green putter though.

I’ve had a similar experience. Putted for years with an Anser shaped head. Went through a vicious cycle trying a number of different putters and mallets - convinced that if I had a more “forgiving” putter it would make me a better putter. Switched back to an Anser again a few seasons ago. To get the tension out, as part of my routine I take a breath over the ball, exhale, and then I’m ready to start my stroke. I do the same now with all my clubs.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

Putting is a totally different game all by itself. Usually my 1 putts are for pars only because I missed the green and chipped it close. I like the looks of a blade better as it's hard to find a good looking mallet as I prefer them over a blade as to me they are easier to aim and better forgiveness.

I was gaming an Odessey Lucky 777 center shaft putter which has been my favorite which gave me some of my best rounds. Lately I have been pulling my putts so I just recently went the Bettinardi BB 56 Armageddon as this gives me the best set up for my slight arc stroke as I just need a few rounds under my belt to make a fair judgement as I jut picked it up.

I thought I was done buying putters as I think I can justify owning at least 2 of the best looking mallet putters. Any more than 2 putters me is just overkill. Im like most on this forum. I do awesome on the practice green Lol

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

My distance misses tend to be short. Right now I am using a Piretti that is 365g w/ a iomic grip. I have used a super stroke 2.0 before, but that was years ago. I’ll have to try some of the drills recommended as well. I probably putted my best ever with the Golo 5 with the superstroke 2.0. Was just hoping I could use a blade and normal grip. 5 yrs later I think I have learned I Can not haha

Taylormade M1
Titleist 913F 13*
Mizuno MP-54
Vokey 52 and 56
Piretti Potenza II

My new strategy is go for every putt aggressively until you hit one 4+ feet by. I've really struggled making much from distance until I adopted this approach because I was afraid of 3 putts. Turns out, being afraid of lengthy comebackers is a recipe for very few 1 putts as well!

Try a Flatso also, if you get it aligned properly for how you deliver the face, the contours really help remind your hands how to comfortably grip the putter. My Flatso is on about 6* open(I forward press) and my putting has never been better.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

To get the tension out, as part of my routine I take a breath over the ball, exhale, and then I’m ready to start my stroke. I do the same now with all my clubs.

I do this too, and also completely loosen my grip during that breath to release the tension in my hands, then I grip the clubs just enough to make my swing. That has helped me a lot and I find it works well in conjunction with a larger grip like the Salty mid plus I use. That regrip is now an engrained part of my routine on the greens.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

My distance misses tend to be short. Right now I am using a Piretti that is 365g w/ a iomic grip. I have used a super stroke 2.0 before, but that was years ago. I’ll have to try some of the drills recommended as well. I probably putted my best ever with the Golo 5 with the superstroke 2.0. Was just hoping I could use a blade and normal grip. 5 yrs later I think I have learned I Can not haha

You might benefit from a lighter putter. 365 is relatively heavy. Just a thought.

My distance misses tend to be short. Right now I am using a Piretti that is 365g w/ a iomic grip. I have used a super stroke 2.0 before, but that was years ago. Ill have to try some of the drills recommended as well. I probably putted my best ever with the Golo 5 with the superstroke 2.0. Was just hoping I could use a blade and normal grip. 5 yrs later I think I have learned I Can not haha

You might benefit from a lighter putter. 365 is relatively heavy. Just a thought.

I have tried 340, 350 and my stroke feels really unstable with those. At least with the heavy putter I don’t have to take as long of a back stroke. With the light ones I can see the outer head change paths several times. I clearly need to just practice a lot more, but need to find the putter that fits me and go from there. Practicing with 7-8 diff putters isn’t gonna help much.
Taylormade M1
Titleist 913F 13*
Mizuno MP-54
Vokey 52 and 56
Piretti Potenza II

I found when I was having trouble with leaving putts short, I really needed to concentrate on the length of the backswing.

Over time, I would subconsciously end up using a similar length backstroke, which would end up leaving me short on some putts. This helped tremendously, and all you need to practice is the practice putting green :)

regardless of putter type you want to use -- the only way to TRULY get better is to simply practice.

get on the putting green, do WORTHWHILE drills and get used to making everything inside 5'. simple as that.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I have tried 340, 350 and my stroke feels really unstable with those. At least with the heavy putter I don’t have to take as long of a back stroke. With the light ones I can see the outer head change paths several times.

What are you using for a grip (mostly interested in the grip weight)? How the grip/butt weight is balanced with the head weight can potentially have a big impact on path control.

might want to read this post:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/909991-diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/#entry7871923

The Piretti I was using was 35' 365g head with a standard iomic grip. I also found that with the 35" putter I tended to stub/hit the ground occasionally. Today I went out and bought a 34" O Works 7s with the standard grip. The putter feel more stable durning my stroke. Played one holes and hit the practice green and it felt great. Still gonna have to work on distance control, but I feel much more comfortable over the ball.

Taylormade M1
Titleist 913F 13*
Mizuno MP-54
Vokey 52 and 56
Piretti Potenza II