The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

Comments

• BoogieThumperBoogieThumper Sweet Jonez Posts: 1,376 ✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

*I had to edit this post*

I don't think the RC is as big of a deal to the American players the way it is to the European players. I'm sure this has already been discussed here I just cant read through this entire thing. One thing that struck me this weekend was the picture of Ian Poulter and his son crying. Those guys care, we don't.
    image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> had to step back up to the mic and clarify.... we scared ya straight
    I wouldn't go that far but carry on
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]COBRA F7
    PING G-25 4-Wood
    PING G-25 Hybrid
    NIKE Covert 5-AW
    NIKE Engage Toe Sweep 54*/Dual Sole 58*
    Cleveland Huntington Beach 4
    SNELL MTB [/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]RED[/font]

*Make Par Not War*
  • LodestoneLodestone Posts: 3,157 ✭✭
    If the Ryder Cup isn't "that big of a deal" to the American players, why do they keep choking during the matches?
    FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 8,963 ✭✭
    edited Oct 1, 2018 #5014
    Lodestone wrote:

If the Ryder Cup isn't "that big of a deal" to the American players, why do they keep choking during the matches?

The question which stumps DJ and Jordan:

• AlbatrosssAlbatrosss Members Posts: 44
    If USA have players not caring you have failed miserable with the team building!

In a good team build you care for your team and you feel secure to fail as your team will support and defend you. That is what brings out the extra level out of each individual team member. Supporters and fans also needs to act this way.

The high pressure for success that USA seems to put on their players and team will have negative effects in building a team. Individuals will protect themselves instead of each other.

You see it all the time in all kinds of sports! Englands football team in World cup events is a brilliant example of how the non-tolerance of failure from home can impact a teams performance negatively. A team that should be much better on paper suddenly does not perform.
  • rmgatlrmgatl Posts: 203 ✭✭
    East Lake the week before was physically challenging, and more US players made that tournament which was perhaps a disadvantage.

However, I was disappointed to hear a Sirius pga radio announcer today talk about how there's no way the U.S. players would have played the French Open in order to learn the course under competitive conditions, since after all they're so busy and it's not just that one week in France, but also the exhaustion coming back the week after etc.

Reminded me of all the times I flew to Europe, took a shower at the airport and went straight to a customer meeting, followed by three other countries in a week. And I didn't fly in a private plane. And the week after...is that some kind of a joke? Going east is tough, but you gain time flying west...is there a problem?

Maybe its simple, you don't prepare, don't care enough to prepare, you lose.
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Posts: 1,744 ✭✭
    Serious question....

How many could fit in the French Open?

Not like there are unlimited open sponsor exemptions there?

And..

I busted my a** for q school finals in the desert when I was playing, and I always struggled vs back east....

And I live in California

The course set up was definitely well done, and the Euros played it better.....it’s all pretty simple!

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,116 ✭✭
    Albatrosss wrote:

If USA have players not caring you have failed miserable with the team building!

In a good team build you care for your team and you feel secure to fail as your team will support and defend you. That is what brings out the extra level out of each individual team member. Supporters and fans also needs to act this way.

The high pressure for success that USA seems to put on their players and team will have negative effects in building a team. Individuals will protect themselves instead of each other.

You see it all the time in all kinds of sports! Englands football team in World cup events is a brilliant example of how the non-tolerance of failure from home can impact a teams performance negatively. A team that should be much better on paper suddenly does not perform.

Due respect but I disagree

I think the US team has no fear of failure in the RC.

If they did, they might actually come together.
  • Finbarr SaundersFinbarr Saunders Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭

I think we will have to change the rules for the next one just to make it fair for you guys. What about if we let you lot choose players from the rest of the world or what about strokes just something to make it more interesting for us on this side of the pond

I've just had another great idea, we could let you lot play as a four man texas scramble against the mighty Europe in the singles
  • johnnyprojohnnypro Members Posts: 1,850 ✭✭
    It's not that the American players don't care......it's that the Euros care more.

Probably a lot more.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,602 ✭✭

Serious question....

And..

I busted my a** for q school finals in the desert when I was playing, and I always struggled vs back east....

And I live in California

The course set up was definitely well done, and the Euros played it better.....it’s all pretty simple!

from the French Open entry list section...

Category 0a, these guys get in first. Players ranked in the top 50 in OWGR on April 9, 2018 and in the Top 50 of the OWGR on June 4, 2018.

the Ryder Cup possibles that entered from this category

Justin Thomas

Jon Rahm

Tommy Fleetwood

Sergio Garcia

Alex Noren (WINNER)

Tyrrell Hatton

Rafa Cabrera Bello

Ian Poulter

Matthew Fitzpatrick

Ross Fisher

Alexander Levy

Thomas Pieters

Captain Thomas Bjorn was in the field and Jim Furyk was there scouting.

Jim Furyk was asked about this in February

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/furyk-i-would-see-guys-play-french-open/

Tiger Woods, Rickie Fowler and Francesco Molinari (WINNER) played in Washington DC that week.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    Hunter Mahan was never the same after he duffed that chip. But, he’s still making millions, life is good suckas!
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,008 ✭✭

Hunter Mahan was never the same after he duffed that chip. But, he’s still making millions, life is good suckas!
    Mahan won 3 events on the PGA Tour after that duffed chip in the RC. Which is the same number of times he won on tour before he duffed the chip. He also reached his highest world ranking (#4 in 2012) after the 2010 RC.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,602 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

Mahan won 3 events on the PGA Tour after that duffed chip in the RC. Which is the same number of times he won on tour before he duffed the chip. He also reached his highest world ranking (#4 in 2012) after the 2010 RC.

After missing the putt to lose the Ryder Cup in 1991, Bernhard Langer won the German Masters a week later.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
    Enough with the excuses! The United States team got their a** kicked, royally! Time to move on and come up with another Task Force to resolve the deficiencies of the prior Task Force.

At the end of the day, the Captain needs to be the Captain. Too many chiefs and no Indians is not a good thing when leadership is needed.
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • Finbarr SaundersFinbarr Saunders Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

*I had to edit this post*

I don't think the RC is as big of a deal to the American players the way it is to the European players. I'm sure this has already been discussed here I just cant read through this entire thing. One thing that struck me this weekend was the picture of Ian Poulter and his son crying. Those guys care, we don't.

image6926335x.jpg

Good old Hunter Mayhem
    grm24 wrote:

Thanks for the info!
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,780 ✭✭
    I agree with Richard. When it's time to play, CowboyUp and sell out for the team. Then **** around in the locker room.
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,084 ClubWRX
    I was just watching the replay of Noren sinking that final putt. He was so stoked that, after he threw his hat, he reared back and almost winged his putter. It looked like he thought better of it at the last second.....smart man. I was really happy for the guy. He's a great player and seems to be a great guy/husband/father and all-around person. We'll get them next time!
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* Hybrid- Altus S- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex/Pro Combo 5-Gap- Recoil 760 Smacwrap
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Bridgestone Tour B330
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • AlbatrosssAlbatrosss Members Posts: 44
    bscinstnct wrote:

Albatrosss wrote:

Due respect but I disagree

I think the US team has no fear of failure in the RC.

If they did, they might actually come together.

I understand what you mean. A common enemy would have united the forces. But it does not work if you underestimate your opponents to the level that you already won and it turns out more about how and whom to lead the team. The biggest enemy will end up inside your own team. Additionally Jim F seems like a very nice and decent guy that I am afraid that some members in the USA team took the opportunity to use against him instead of appreciate.
  • Ryder cup captaincy is becoming a poisoned chalice, especially for the USA team. Tom Watson didn't deserve the cr*p he received and I hope Jim doesn't get the same.
    Callaway Epic 9* PX Even Flow 65 6.0
    Callaway Rogue 15* PX Even Flow 75 6.0
    Titleist 818 H2 19*, PX Even Flow 85 6.0
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, XP95 X100
    Miura C Wedges 55* & 59*, DG S400
    Scotty Select Newport 2.6
    Z Star XV / TP5X
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,551 ✭✭

Serious question....

And..

And I live in California

If they wanted to play I am sure the organization could have invited to play the whole team, the vice captains and I am pretty sure also the wags.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

Serious question....

And..

And I live in California

If they wanted to play I am sure the organization could have invited to play the whole team, the vice captains and I am pretty sure also the wags.

Definitely, whether the rank and file members of the Euro Tour liked it or not, if a dozen potential American players were looking to come over there is no doubt that they would have been accommodated.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,542 mod
    edited Oct 2, 2018 #5034
    MattyO1984 wrote:

Definitely, whether the rank and file members of the Euro Tour liked it or not, if a dozen potential American players were looking to come over there is no doubt that they would have been accommodated.

Zero doubt. If the French Open orgainzers got a call that the Top 12-15 US RC players wanted to come play in the French Open, they would have made it happen. No offense to the bottom ~10 guys on the French Open invite list but they would have been bumped in a hot second if needed.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Cure CX2 35" / TM TP5
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,551 ✭✭
    MattyO1984 wrote:

imakaveli wrote:

Serious question....

And..

And I live in California

They refused and probably they didn't even play the Quicken Loans... great job team USA https://www.express.co.uk/sport/golf/979513/ryder-cup-2018-le-golf-national-french-open-golf

Also, just a few of them showed up when Furyk invited to play a practice round earlier this year...
  • Gmack1973Gmack1973 Members Posts: 65 ✭✭

Serious question....

And..

And I live in California

Paul McGinley on Sky was saying that after Justin Thomas played the French Open he told Furyk and other players that they should all play it before the RC. Apparently only 5 did, Mcginley said that Tiger definitely played it and possibly Finau.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,079 ✭✭
    stanger37 wrote:

not reading 164 pages so if I repeat something, oops.

But when people on the radio are talking about the results and say "Well it's hard to pair Bubba up with someone" "Pairing Reed up isn't easy"

it's not a good sign. Certainly it is all hindsight now, but still. Having that thought about someone isn't positive.

Not saying those are the only issues nor taking anything away from Europe. They played outstanding. It would have taken a lot to beat them in this cup.

Pairing Reed was easy two years ago........and very successful.
    Lodestone wrote:

Exactly. It is a big deal to the players. Just listen to them.
    AndersUK wrote:

Ryder cup captaincy is becoming a poisoned chalice, especially for the USA team. Tom Watson didn't deserve the cr*p he received and I hope Jim doesn't get the same.

Tom Watson is one of my heroes, a wonderful guy and a world class golfer. But a terrible coach.
    Gmack1973 wrote:

Serious question....

And..

And I live in California

The course set up was definitely well done, and the Euros played it better.....it's all pretty simple!

Paul McGinley on Sky was saying that after Justin Thomas played the French Open he told Furyk and other players that they should all play it before the RC. Apparently only 5 did, Mcginley said that Tiger definitely played it and possibly Finau.

Lot of good that did.
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Posts: 1,744 ✭✭

Serious question....

And..

And I live in California

from the French Open entry list section...

Category 0a, these guys get in first. Players ranked in the top 50 in OWGR on April 9, 2018 and in the Top 50 of the OWGR on June 4, 2018.

the Ryder Cup possibles that entered from this category

Justin Thomas

Jon Rahm

Tommy Fleetwood

Sergio Garcia

Alex Noren (WINNER)

Tyrrell Hatton

Rafa Cabrera Bello

Ian Poulter

Matthew Fitzpatrick

Ross Fisher

Alexander Levy

Thomas Pieters

Captain Thomas Bjorn was in the field and Jim Furyk was there scouting.

Jim Furyk was asked about this in February

[url=&quot;https://www.golfchannel.com/video/furyk-i-would-see-guys-play-french-open/&quot;]https://www.golfchannel.com/video/furyk-i-would-see-guys-play-french-open/[/url]

Tiger Woods, Rickie Fowler and Francesco Molinari (WINNER) played in Washington DC that week.

Well, there ya go! Thanks