New TP5 and TP5X

Comments

• StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    SwingBlues wrote:

Pix is fugly, looks like a Chernobyl radiated mutant of a Truvis lost+found there.

Come out with something better, Taylormade. Please.

Say, when is the new TP5X coming out to market? I've got to try'em...

February.
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 11:41am #213
    So I play the current TP5....is there any real world difference between the two ? or we talking a yard here or there and +/- more/less spin. I am having a hard time thinking there is that much difference from the current model.

If the new one plays firmer I think I will stick to the current model based on feel.

Edit: I do like the TP5X when I need that extra distance now and then but its pretty firm to me. Lucky I spin the ball decently but a medium firm ball seems to feel best to me.
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,680 ✭✭
    I haven't been able to find an answer, which ball, 5 or 5x, has less driver spin?
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,028 ClubWRX

I haven't been able to find an answer, which ball, 5 or 5x, has less driver spin?

TP5x should spin a little less off the driver.
    TaylorMade M3 9.5, GD Tour AD GP-6s, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M3 T3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,028 ClubWRX
    CDM wrote:

So I play the current TP5....is there any real world difference between the two ? or we talking a yard here or there and +/- more/less spin. I am having a hard time thinking there is that much difference from the current model.

If the new one plays firmer I think I will stick to the current model based on feel.

Edit: I do like the TP5X when I need that extra distance now and then but its pretty firm to me. Lucky I spin the ball decently but a medium firm ball seems to feel best to me.

Do a side-by-side test when the 2019 balls come out. You should see a noticeable ball speed increase off the driver and mid/long irons. They also spin a little more on wedges and around the greens. These balls were already good, but they really did get better.

The 2019 TP5x is noticeably more firm than the 2017-18 ball, but the TP5 felt about the same to me.
    TaylorMade M3 9.5, GD Tour AD GP-6s, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M3 T3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • jsnolandjsnoland Members Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Huge fan of TP5x - the only slight improvement I think they could make is to make it slightly softer off the putter. The ideal ball would be all the characteristics of TP5x tee-to-green, but then with the feel of TP5 off of the putter. Definitely like the feel of TP5 all-around, but it's about 1/2 club to a club shorter on full shots than TP5x.
    Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5 (set to C1), HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5
    3W - Tour Edge Exotics CBX 13.5*, HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5
    2I - TaylorMade P790 UDI 17*, HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    4I - PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Tour, Project X LZ 6.0 120
    Wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy Forged (50.10, 54.10, 58.08), DG Tour Issue
    Putter - TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Center Shaft
    TaylorMade TP5x
  • thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,831 ✭✭
    I just saw a new teaser vid posted by TaylorMade on the new PIX ball. Props to their marketing team.

IdealisticFrayedDiscus-small.gif

giphy.gif
  • jsnolandjsnoland Members Posts: 156 ✭✭
    No thanks. Good with white.
    Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5 (set to C1), HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5
    3W - Tour Edge Exotics CBX 13.5*, HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5
    2I - TaylorMade P790 UDI 17*, HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    4I - PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Tour, Project X LZ 6.0 120
    Wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy Forged (50.10, 54.10, 58.08), DG Tour Issue
    Putter - TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Center Shaft
    TaylorMade TP5x
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,461 ✭✭
    You've got to be f*****g kidding me!
    thevaporz wrote:

I just saw a new teaser vid posted by TaylorMade on the new PIX ball. Props to their marketing team.

giphy.gif

PIX? Link?
    edited Jan 14, 2019 8:40pm #223
    ^Post #201 page 7. Looks like a new competitor to the Cally TruVis patterned ball. I will definitely try it out. "Ninja star" pattern like another poster said. I'll yell out a big HADOUKEN after a good shot using these balls. I think they look kinda cool. Curious if they'll make a yellow version or other colors too.
    thevaporz wrote:

^Post #201 page 7. Looks like a new competitor to the Cally TruVis patterned ball. I will definitely try it out. "Ninja star" pattern like another poster said. I'll yell out a big HADOUKEN after a good shot using these balls. I think they look kinda cool. Curious if they'll make a yellow version or other colors too.

Balboa canyons or the road beside will eat your ball up. I've lost too many there.

New ball looks good and plays well.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,935 ✭✭

GC70 wrote:

Not interested at all

The fact you made it here, clicked, looked and then actually posted says otherwise......

Lol. I’m not playing a ninja star ball either. And here I am.

dalehead wrote:

You've got to be f*****g kidding me!

Nope. They shat you not.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭

thevaporz wrote:

giphy.gif

PIX? Link?
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    jll62 wrote:

CDM wrote:

Do a side-by-side test when the 2019 balls come out. You should see a noticeable ball speed increase off the driver and mid/long irons. They also spin a little more on wedges and around the greens. These balls were already good, but they really did get better.

The 2019 TP5x is noticeably more firm than the 2017-18 ball, but the TP5 felt about the same to me.

Appreciate the response! Now VERY interested. Still have two dozen of the 18' TP5 and a few sleeves of the 18' TP5X to burn through. Will have to swtich over =)
  • golfnhackgolfnhack Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭
    Having had a chance to play both TP5X's now, I will be sticking with the prior generation. The new one scuffs sooooooo easily. One wedge shot with sharp grooves, and it is toast. I love the older gen one. Cheaper and MUCH more durable.
    "Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones
    golfnhack wrote:

Having had a chance to play both TP5X's now, I will be sticking with the prior generation. The new one scuffs sooooooo easily. One wedge shot with sharp grooves, and it is toast. I love the older gen one. Cheaper and MUCH more durable.

Can’t tell if you’re serious
  • IHFNIHFN Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    "No BallSh*t. Only Performance" is the new tagline on the site. Gotta love Marketing...
    Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
    Exotics EX10 Beta 16.5 Rogue Max 75 x-stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85

TM P760 4-PW Recoil 780 ES SMACWRAP stiff hard stepped once.

TM High Toe 52 Steelfiber 95 Stiff
    TM High Toe 58 Steelfiber 110 Stiff
    TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff

Odyssey EXO Indy S
  • sevenfouratesevenfourate Devotee of OCD ENGLAND.Members Posts: 1,882 ✭✭
    golfnhack wrote:

If you've seen the video's; supposedly months have been spent researching the new 'cart-path resistant' cover.

I guess the Engineers involved got paid for being in these meeting's regardless - not on pure results.

God i hope this isn't the same for everyone.....
    Regards - 'Shuv'

PING G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
    RIFE Iconic Tour Vault 3 : Flow-Neck - 340g / 34.75"
    TAYLORMADE TP5 Golf Ball ←NEW 2019 Version→

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/
    noodle3872 wrote:

thevaporz wrote:

giphy.gif

PIX? Link?

Thanks.
    Stanks wrote:
    golfnhack wrote:

No. I am not kidding. Will take a pic tomorrow (if I can remember) of my new TP5x after my first wedge shot. Oh and BTW, my Vokeys are 5 months only and the grooves are definitely NOT sharp anymore.
    golfnhack wrote:

Stanks wrote:
    golfnhack wrote:

No. I am not kidding. Will take a pic tomorrow (if I can remember) of my new TP5x after my first wedge shot. Oh and BTW, my Vokeys are 5 months only and the grooves are definitely NOT sharp anymore.

No no all good brother. I'm interested to see your findings. I've seen protos IP in San Diego and can't say I've seen the same but, I'd like to see your results.
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,710 mod
    edited Jan 16, 2019 6:46am #235
    I must have been lucky bc I've been playing the original TP5 since before it was officially released and have never scuffed one. And considering I hit down 3-5* on my iron shots, its not as if I baby them.

Only time I have scuffed one that I can remember:

Extreme cartpath abuse.

Parking lot out of bounds.

Banging one off the houses to the right of the 18th hole on the Old Course - (that one remains on my shelf image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> )
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
    Stanks wrote:
    golfnhack wrote:

Stanks wrote:
    golfnhack wrote:

No no all good brother. I'm interested to see your findings. I've seen protos IP in San Diego and can't say I've seen the same but, I'd like to see your results.
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,813 ✭✭
    I would think, if this was the norm, the balls would not be released.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • oregongolforegongolf Lefty Boomers Posts: 8,570 ✭✭
    That's crazy. It looks worse than a painted ball with an old non-conforming wedge (cover tailings in the grooves anyone?).

I'm a huge TP5x fan, but if the ball is noticeably firmer, that wouldn't be an ideal change to me.
  • Chopshop23Chopshop23 Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    golfnhack wrote:

Stanks wrote:
    golfnhack wrote:

Stanks wrote:
    golfnhack wrote:

Wow looks like that wedge shot might have been a few grooves on the thin side. 😂
    I've made the same gouges in just about every brand ball. Supposedly Srixon Z Star XV are tanks but I've gouged those off one shot too.
  • spartan6910spartan6910 Go Green, Go White! San DiegoMembers Posts: 380 ✭✭
    So we know the ninja stars version is coming, but nothing on alternate colors? Need...moar...info.
    TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
    Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
    TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
    Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*
    Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
    Bettinardi Queen B #8
    TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego[/size]