ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Ping I500 Real Course Reviews Please!!

2»

Comments

• pollock21pollock21 Advanced Members Posts: 659 ✭✭
    Got another round under the belt today. It was cold out, around 40*. Normally I had a par 3 138 front edge to a front pin. Striped a PW which should be a 150 yard shot. Ball flew up in the air and came down about 15 yards short of the green. I couldn’t believe it. Maybe it caught some wind or something, but it was rather odd. Reading about the PW to 9 iron gapping problems some people have reported, I’m a little concerned.

I hit my glide gap wedge 135-140 so I might have a gap issue on my hands. I had the lofts checked after my round and PW was spot on 45* and the 9 iron was a tick weak at almost 41 vs the 40* advertised loft.

I’m gonna give it more time in better weather before I start tweaking. Just a little cause for concern right now.
    Driver: Ho
    Fairway: 16M2 15* & 18*
    Irons: Ho
    Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 50* PXLZ 6.5, 54* & 60* PXLZ 7.0
    Putter: Scotty Newport 2
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner Advanced Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    Well, this thread is informative. If they feel good, they are good. if they don"t, they're not. Double blind, peer reviewed, objective......

NOT !! image/einstein.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beruo:' />
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,232 ✭✭
    jwb10 wrote:

Well, this thread is informative. If they feel good, they are good. if they don"t, they're not. Double blind, peer reviewed, objective......

Test them with impact tape.

If you hit them middle and on the right groove they feel good. If you hit them high or toe side they clank. Easy to understand.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • awtryau89awtryau89 Advanced Members Posts: 1,177 ✭✭
    pollock21 wrote:

Got another round under the belt today. It was cold out, around 40*. Normally I had a par 3 138 front edge to a front pin. Striped a PW which should be a 150 yard shot. Ball flew up in the air and came down about 15 yards short of the green. I couldn’t believe it. Maybe it caught some wind or something, but it was rather odd. Reading about the PW to 9 iron gapping problems some people have reported, I’m a little concerned.

I hit my glide gap wedge 135-140 so I might have a gap issue on my hands. I had the lofts checked after my round and PW was spot on 45* and the 9 iron was a tick weak at almost 41 vs the 40* advertised loft.

I’m gonna give it more time in better weather before I start tweaking. Just a little cause for concern right now.

Definitely something I have seen as well on the PW and UW. Not as long as you but I can hit my 919 Forged PW/GW (2 degrees weaker) about 5 yards further. No problems with my 9 at all though. The gapping actually works for me but it is odd. It seems that on the more lofted clubs, the spring effect is either less or imparts too much height/spin and you lose a bit of distance.
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner Advanced Members Posts: 880 ✭✭

jwb10 wrote:

Test them with impact tape.

If you hit them middle and on the right groove they feel good. If you hit them high or toe side they clank. Easy to understand.
    Yes, for every iron I ever hit...however, some clank way better than others
  • WarEagleGolfWarEagleGolf Advanced Members Posts: 285 ✭✭
    edited March 9
    Still Loving. Got a couple bent strong to close a gap, and they keep getting better. No clanks with ProV1s. Hard range balls, yup and inconsistent distances. On the course, no problem. The finish, still looking good.

Btw, for anyone that thinks one club is off, or doesn't "spring" as much...had the same problem. It was the lie angle and when it got changed, POW. More consistent bombing ensued.

I really like these, perform well, get through the turf (digger), consistent on misses. But...it's all preference at this point.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    PING G400 LST Fujikura XLR8 51 9.0*
    PING G400 Fujikura XLR8 61 16.5*
    PING i500 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 52*/46* TRP C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 58* DVR C-Taper Lite 110g
    PING Vault Anser2
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,232 ✭✭

Still Loving. Got a couple bent strong to close a gap, and they keep getting better. No clanks with ProV1s. Hard range balls, yup and inconsistent distances. On the course, no problem. The finish, still looking good.

Btw, for anyone that thinks one club is off, or doesn't "spring" as much...had the same problem. It was the lie angle and when it got changed, POW. More consistent bombing ensued.

I really like these, perform well, get through the turf (digger), consistent on misses. But...it's all preference at this point.

Yep. Which goes back to what I’ve preached. Strike. And I’ve said 100 times that these irons are the most sensitive for lie angle I’ve ever owned. I dialed them in over a months time.
  • buntabunta Advanced Members Posts: 507 ✭✭

Yep. Which goes back to what I've preached. Strike. And I've said 100 times that these irons are the most sensitive for lie angle I've ever owned. I dialed them in over a months time.

What are your lie angles?. im curious.
    TS3 9.5
    I500 4-U
    Glide 54,60
    Ardmore
    edited March 9
    bunta wrote:

Yep. Which goes back to what I've preached. Strike. And I've said 100 times that these irons are the most sensitive for lie angle I've ever owned. I dialed them in over a months time.

Well without going to my notes for exact degrees ( I’m not at the shop where my notes are ). Mine are 4 up of standard in the 6-pw and 3 up for 3-5. Also mine are 1/2 inch over standard length and I do swing pretty upright. ( tall ). Now I’ll also say there maybe a 1 degree bump one way or another. I tunes one iron at a time adjusting a degree at a time ( I bend them myself ) . And wrote the exact degree down. I don’t remember which irons varied a touch. But 3-4 upright is the ballpark answer.
    bunta wrote:

Well without going to my notes for exact degrees ( I’m not at the shop where my notes are ). Mine are 4 up of standard in the 6-pw and 3 up for 3-5. Also mine are 1/2 inch over standard length and I do swing pretty upright. ( tall ). Now I’ll also say there maybe a 1 degree bump one way or another. I tunes one iron at a time adjusting a degree at a time ( I bend them myself ) . And wrote the exact degree down. I don’t remember which irons varied a touch. But 3-4 upright is the ballpark answer.

For reference Blade, I’m assuming this is off black dot? Also, what’s your typical lie angle for a “normal” set?

I was hitting my PW 140 on the course, verified on trackman. Dropped one out at 140 on one hole and hit my glide 2.0 50* and striped it 140.

So as-is my 45* i500 goes the same distance as my 50* glide 2.0.

My 9-iron is fine, so for now I’m giving up and throwing a glide 2.0 46* PW in the bag.
    edited March 9
    Normally play 2 ish up of titleist standard. And yes up from black dot.

Shafts same in pw and glide ? Sounds like a spin issue in a way ? Have you checked the loft of the pw and 50 ? One maybe 47 and the other 48. 2 off both ways equals almost even. How far is the 9 iron going?

Mine are off a 48 degree pw ( super retro lofts ) and my full high draw ( longest carry traj and shape ) is 142 with pw. My 9 iron is 154 max. I’d call it 150 if a front pin. Something is off somewhere. And I’d bet anything it has nothing to do with the face hotness.
    I had the specs checked on my 9 which was a tick under 41*, supposed to be 40*. The PW was dead on the specs at 45*.

I never checked my 50, but I’ve played 50’s in multiple models and it’s always been 135-140. So it has to be close. My PW’s in my last few sets played 46* and usually that’s my stock 150 club.

I’m getting my stock 160 out of the 9, but the PW just won’t go. 140-145 max.

They are currently shafted with modus 105 x’s which are way too light for me. I’m re-shafting this week which will help out, but I’m just gonna game the glide for my PW. It’s really odd to have such a huge gap there.

I am not swinging great so it could be partly on me, but I’m still getting my 140 out of my gap and it’s basically matching my set PW.
  • gvogelgvogel Advanced Members Posts: 7,001 ✭✭
    I just checked out the Maltby Playability Factor for i500s. The MPF is 188, which puts the 6-iron in the Players Classic category, with the likes of muscle back irons.

I ordered a i500 6-iron, which I haven't hit yet. Generally I play a combo set of AP1 - AP2. AP1 in 6-iron.

Should I be concerned?

Guess I'll have to report back. Might end up going G700 or G410 for 5-iron and 6-iron, maybe 7-iron.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • balls_deepballs_deep Advanced Members Posts: 360 ✭✭
    MPF isn't everything but I've heard mixed things about the i500. Try it and see.
    Titleist 915D2 10.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Titleist 816H1 20* and 24* w/ Accra FX200H M4
    Irons TBD
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54F, and 58D w/ DG Tour Issue Onyx S400
    Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Armlock 42" (Testing)
    Pro V1x
  • gvogelgvogel Advanced Members Posts: 7,001 ✭✭
    balls_deep wrote:

MPF isn't everything but I've heard mixed things about the i500. Try it and see.

That's why I buy one iron at a time.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • plutchplutch Members Posts: 54
    I have played around 10 rounds with the i500, getting to know them a little and really enjoying less offset than my previous irons (Taylormade M2).

Coming from M2's that had stronger loft's, I was fitted and chose to get the "Power Spec" loft's that were somewhat similar to the irons that I was playing.

Surprised how much i like the 4 iron, very easy to hit, I have been using it off the tee a lot.

Highest and straightest irons that I have ever hit, when you get it in the center of the face, the ball flies.
2»