Arcadia Bluffs - Michigan Golf

I live 1 1/2 hours away from this course and I'm asked about it during my business travels. While I think it is a beautiful course, the greems are the MOST circus like I've ever seen. It is NOT fun to try and not 3 put every green ( I'm an 8 Hdcp) while just paying to keep you ball on the green with chips and approach shots.

I activly discourage any and all from playing this course and to proceed at their own risk. am I the ONLY GUY that feels like this about this course???? Wit the many other stellar courses to play, it is often a negative experience for guys that were so excited to play this course...

Thoughts?

Kevin K.

Comments

• vallygolfvallygolf Members Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited Dec 20, 2018 #2
    Not too severe IMO. They seem pretty standard for a good test of golf. Just my observation though.

Edit: Im going off the assumption that we are talking about the original course, not the south course with the square greens. I have not played that course yet.
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,156 ✭✭
    Since you live nearby I can understand the frustration. For myself it's a destination course and always a treat to get there, so there are things I'm willing to deal with, like the greens, since I don't see many like it otherwise. To me the entire course is a challenge depending on the wind conditions and the green speeds, so I go into it knowing I can either do well or get kicked around for a couple hours. If it were in the regular rotation I could see myself getting annoyed with it. That said I actually prefer the greens there to Harbor Shores.
  • AzSuperHack76AzSuperHack76 ClubWRX Posts: 1,489 ClubWRX
    Played there this summer, I didn't thing the greens were "circus" greens at all. Nicely contoured, no crazy severe slopes that I can think of. I remember there being a couple greens that would be considered to have false fronts but that's about it. I really enjoyed the course and the greens were spectacular when we were there.
  • MI517MI517 Members Posts: 437 ✭✭
    I play it 3-4 times a year, I’m an 8 as well. There was ONE time I played it where the greens were borderline unfair. Pins as close to edges as legal, right on/around ridges or false front and it’d been sunny/hot for a week. I play with some pretty good short game guys and there were definitely some chips done after a putt that day. Hardest round I ever had there. Next closest was a 29* day in MAY that had 30-45mph gusts coming off Lake Michigan. I was hitting driver/3-wood into par 4’s and just getting there where I’d usually driver/8-9i. Hit a 2i on a par 3 (giving the wind 40yds)!

In general though, no, I consider the greens challenging but not circus-like (ok maybe #4!). There’s a lot of tiered greens for sure. It’s an amazing course that everyone should have on their bucket list. Conditions can definitely vary your enjoyment. There’s usually going to be some wind!
    Ping G400 Max Driver 9* - Ping Tour 65 X
    Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid - UST Recoil ES780 S
    Callaway Apex 21* Utility Iron - KBS TourV S
    Cobra King Forged CB/MB 4-P - KBS $-Taper Black S
    Titleist SM7 50*F, 54*F, 58*M - KBS $-Taper
    Odyssey #1Works Versa 34”
  • AThompson_3AThompson_3 Members Posts: 1,401 ✭✭
    Arcadia Bluffs is fantastic. The greens are challenging no doubt, but they aren’t unfair. It’s absolutely a must play course IMO. Personally I think every serious golfer needs to take a golf trip to Michigan. Arcadia Bluffs and Forest Dunes are as good as it gets.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
    Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 55S, 60M Project X 6.5
    Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black, Bettinardi BB1F
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,078 ✭✭
    edited Dec 20, 2018 #7
    I didn't think they were unfair or that tricky at all. Just my opinion, I thought the tee shots were tricky if anything. But the greens seemed pretty basic but some challenge.

Streamsong black is the closest to "circus" greens I can think of. But even then, it is a challenge and part of the fun. Comparing those 2 Arcadia is mild.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • tjbluetjblue Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    Plenty of elephants planted in those greens and I'd love to see them toned down a bit.

Still one of my favorite courses to play (when they allowed 18 holes at twilight).
  • burnsniperburnsniper Members Posts: 538 ✭✭
    I love the course, however the greens are not in the same “extreme” league as golden era courses that can now run really really fast.
  • HackerDaveHackerDave Members Posts: 1,408 ✭✭
    I just don't see it. I've played there maybe 6 times and have nothing but love for it. The only green I find a bit silly is #9, but only if they put the pin in front. Yea, they are big with 3 levels, but they roll true and you can score there. The sum total of the resort, from service, views and conditions make it a winner in my book. I hope guys don't play it. Makes it easier for me to get a tee time ;-)
  • sabramsabram Members Posts: 1,540 ✭✭
    kkrenzke wrote:

;;;the greens are the MOST circus like I've ever seen.

Thoughts?

Kevin K.

"Thoughts": My initial thought is that you may not have seen a wide variety of courses. Where else have you played? What courses would be next on your list of courses that have "circus like" greens?

The greens at Arcadia would not keep me from returning or recommending it, although the green fee might.

Have you played The Old Course or North Berwick? in the U.S have you played Kingsley or the Loop which aren't too far from Arcadia. How about Pinehurst #2, Old Macdonald or Streamsong? If so I'd be curious about what you thought about the greens at any of those courses.
    sabram wrote:

kkrenzke wrote:

;;;the greens are the MOST circus like I've ever seen.

Thoughts?

Kevin K.

"Thoughts": My initial thought is that you may not have seen a wide variety of courses. Where else have you played? What courses would be next on your list of courses that have "circus like" greens?

The greens at Arcadia would not keep me from returning or recommending it, although the green fee might.

Have you played The Old Course or North Berwick? in the U.S have you played Kingsley or the Loop which aren't too far from Arcadia. How about Pinehurst #2, Old Macdonald or Streamsong? If so I'd be curious about what you thought about the greens at any of those courses.

Old mac was my other thought but went with Streamsong Black instead. In my opinion very similar courses and greens that can make your head explode if you go in with the wrong mind set.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,492 ✭✭
    kkrenzke wrote:

I live 1 1/2 hours away from this course and I'm asked about it during my business travels. While I think it is a beautiful course, the greems are the MOST circus like I've ever seen. It is NOT fun to try and not 3 put every green ( I'm an 8 Hdcp) while just paying to keep you ball on the green with chips and approach shots.

I activly discourage any and all from playing this course and to proceed at their own risk. am I the ONLY GUY that feels like this about this course???? Wit the many other stellar courses to play, it is often a negative experience for guys that were so excited to play this course...

Thoughts?

Kevin K.

I played it in 2017 as part of a week long seven course trip in that area. We all rated it either the best or second best of the bunch.
  • thejuicethejuice Members Posts: 2,066 ✭✭
    Thanks OP for the warning but now this is on my bucket list based on the reviews of everyone else. Crazy how that happens!!!!
    TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
    TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
    TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
    Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
    Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
    TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,492 ✭✭
    thejuice wrote:

Thanks OP for the warning but now this is on my bucket list based on the reviews of everyone else. Crazy how that happens!!!!

Golf Digest ranks it #3 in the state.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/michigan-best-in-state-rankings
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
    if u think these are hard play oakland hills south and u would want to quit golf.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
    edited Dec 24, 2018 #18
    sabram wrote:

Here's a link to a photo tour of Arcadia Bluffs

https://www.flickr.c...157685653209786

Great pictures. Here's 1 from my last trip there. The course has a little more meaning for us now.

We also kept playing and I had a career best -2 round. So that was a plus too.

34178162_10212372454968853_1139139130647642112_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=169751b378678a434e498c542307e615&oe=5CA11EE3
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 5,000 ✭✭
    Hands down one of the best courses in the world, though it will never be rated that.

The greens are fantastic, you have to remeber this destination golf. People do not play here on a regular basis and are not super concerned what they shoot. They are here for an experience of playing absolute stunning visual golf course.

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • Exwinger20Exwinger20 Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Now I'm even more excited for the trip we have planned there in the spring!
    My tip: Tee one up facing Lake Michigan on #12 and try to hit it to Wisconsin.
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,558 ✭✭
    I'll tell you what, give me the 70 degree, sunny, calm winded day that I played it on this past September right about now oh, and you wouldn't make me much happier offering me anything else. What a beautiful treat it is and was to play that course.
  • exgolfproexgolfpro Members Posts: 771 ✭✭
    What is the deal with the short flags? In those photos, the flags look like they are about 3 ft tall. Does that throw off the visual of estimating yardages?
    exgolfpro wrote:

What is the deal with the short flags? In those photos, the flags look like they are about 3 ft tall. Does that throw off the visual of estimating yardages?
    Yeah the short flags are really odd. It definitely throws off your depth perception. You get used to it after the first couple holes though.
    exgolfpro wrote:

I thought I was a mile out on the first hole because the flag looked so small in the distance... I shot it multiple times with the range finder and was so confused until I got up to it, then it made sense. Definitely threw me off at first though.
  • sabramsabram Members Posts: 1,540 ✭✭
    edited Dec 28, 2018 #26
    exgolfpro wrote:

I've been told it's because of the wind, so that the flags don't blow over. It does take some adjustment when you are eyeballing distances. Dakota Winds uses them as does the Tribute in Texas.

43848413532_d5f8c49fee_c.jpg

Dakota Winds #7 x George on green note short pins due to high winds

13969629887_d5a74906e7_c.jpg

The Tribute #18 view from rear right of green

35661475415_f81c15f1a7_c.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs #2 Larry missed an Ace by an inch740
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members Posts: 1,774 ✭✭

Hands down one of the best courses in the world, though it will never be rated that.

The greens are fantastic, you have to remeber this destination golf. People do not play here on a regular basis and are not super concerned what they shoot. They are here for an experience of playing absolute stunning visual golf course.

It's far more than just playing a stunning visual golf course...I travel to play courses with greens like Arcadia because of the enjoyment on the greens. The slopes and speed require a creativity and touch that just isn't asked of me on my local muni/public courses. And, at least for me, putting is probably the most enjoyable part of the game. Nothing is more boring than a course with 18 flat greens, and Arcadia is FAR from that! Also, to anyone looking at this thread and planning to go play, be sure to play the new South course too! As an architecture nut, it was an absolute blast with a very strategic design. It also is a great walking course which, as a golfer who far prefers to walk my rounds, was a nice complement to the riding only nature of the Bluffs course.
    Callaway Epic SZ 11* ACCRA TZ6 
    Callaway Epic Flash 17* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TM TP UDI 21* Nunchuk Xi
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 52, 58 Nippon Modus 115
    Byron Morgan 612
    Sun Mountain 3.5/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • LottaoutsLottaouts Members Posts: 125
    edited Dec 29, 2018 #28
    Need to get back to Arcadia. My one time play was memorable. Great design and conditioning, at least 10 years ago or so. The overall experience was top notch including the clubhouse and staff attitude.

Someone mentioned Harbor Shores. I have played there once or twice each of the last 4 years. Enjoyed it quite a bit until this year. I personally like the design alot but the course seems very overplayed. More unrepaired divots than I have ever seen on a good course...par three tees and fairways were a minefield. Condition of the greens was so-so. Pro shop staff acted tired. Course halfway house had almost nothing that was posted on the menu. Attendant was busy on her phone and clueless. Dirty counter and spiderwebs. It was a neat experience when new but has lost some of the key elements that made it special. Admittedly, this was on a hot tuesday afternoon in August.

I hope Arcadia has avoided the management shortcomings that I observed at Harbor Shores.
  • PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it! Members Posts: 835 ✭✭
    The OP reads like they were done wrong by a member of the staff. Very, very bad advice to "actively discourage" anyone from playing AB. Warn them that you think the greens are severely tricked up, ok, but don't dissuade them from one greatest, most unique golf experiences in the Midwest, if not the country.

The greens at AB are dramatic. Large and undulating. They are also challenging, fair, true, excellently maintained and add to the enjoyment of the experience. The three times I have played there, I did not find any of the pins unfair. Maybe I got lucky. While I can imagine locations where pins would be nearly impossible, the large greens also provide many relatively flat pinnable locations on each.

While still being able to maintain a sense of serenity, Arcadia Bluffs is also a bold and dramatic course and resort - from the clubhouse to the holes on the dunes high above Lake Michigan, to the mounding and the bunkers and seemingly endless number of gorgeous views. A collection of uninspired greens would be sorely out of place here.
  • ChunkAndRun2ChunkAndRun2 Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I've played there twice a year, every year since I moved to the state in about a decade ago. The greens can be fast and challenging, but I would never call them unfair. I think you can get yourself in some bad spots that might make you frustrated, but thats about the prior shot in my opinion. Number 6, 9, and 10 all come to mind with putting yourself on the wrong side of a flag.

Now, if you just go to the short game area and look at that green, you will think somebody lost their mind, but I find the course to be nothing but fair.

For what its worth, I would call their shoulder season rates the best deal in America, even with the 2019 rate going up to $100 (was $75 just a few years back).
    Driver - Titleist 913 D2
    3 Wood - Titleist 915
    Driving Iron - Mizuno MP 18 MCC
    4-PW - Titleist 716 CB
    Wedges - 50* 55* 60* Vokey SM7
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0

I've played there twice a year, every year since I moved to the state in about a decade ago. The greens can be fast and challenging, but I would never call them unfair. I think you can get yourself in some bad spots that might make you frustrated, but thats about the prior shot in my opinion. Number 6, 9, and 10 all come to mind with putting yourself on the wrong side of a flag.

Now, if you just go to the short game area and look at that green, you will think somebody lost their mind, but I find the course to be nothing but fair.

For what its worth, I would call their shoulder season rates the best deal in America, even with the 2019 rate going up to $100 (was $75 just a few years back).

Not to get off track. But Kiawah's winter deal 2 rounds, and hotel for $300 is the best deal in America.