A Different Take on Tiger Woods' Masters Victory - 'Revenge'

archer1archer1 Members Posts: 135 ✭✭

As background, Marina Hyde is one of the sharpest social and political commentators in the UK. She has a wonderful ability to skewer pomposity. What I never knew about her was that she is a huge Tiger Woods fan. I found this article by her to be a very enjoyable read. theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/17/tiger-woods-masters-win-revenge-golf-old-guard

Comments

• JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Woke up feeling a little dangerous today PAMembers Posts: 290 ✭✭

After reading the essay, I think Ms. Hyde has an axe to grind and is using Tiger as a vehicle to get her own agenda heard.

She's trying to put Tiger in the corner. No one puts Tiger in the the corner.

• jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,260 ClubWRX

The article is as distasteful as the Sarah Spain espn one. Classless and laughable at best.

thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w, 3w, 5w, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, AP3 4i, 3i Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Posts: 12,779 ClubWRX

Complete waste of time.

I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Members Posts: 855 ✭✭

I’m not really surprised that these articles popped up. Just like last year with Patrick Reed it gives some the platform to knock a person down while others are lifting him up. There’s always another side. My question would be are they doing it because they really feel that way or are they doing it to get some needed attention. I read the espn article and there definitely seems to be some type of satisfaction she is deriving from being the opposing view. Much like the Masters Tiger Woods garners strong opinions on both sides. My feeling is both are trying to heal some of the past done wrongs and moving in the right direction. Nothing wrong with that.

• Big Cat 3Big Cat 3 Members Posts: 631 ✭✭

Come on lady ... You have a couple of lady members at the AN now, so chill. Plus, AN doesn’t give one **** what you think.
    Signed, Martha Burke

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX

Well, I'm sure all the Tiger Woods fans the OP was hoping to lure by saying she's a huge Tiger Woods fan will feel just a little cheated, lol.

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 18, 2019 12:13pm #10

@Birdie Mac said:
    Honestly, I wish Billy Payne had been in Butler Cabin for the ceremony. After that gratuitous dressing down he gave Tiger several years back, I'm sure Tiger would have gotten some less than guilty pleasure out of coming out on top again. Talk about glass houses.

Billy said enough and hardly went too far.

LOL, I doubt even Tiger will ever be dumb enough from a PR perspective (well, he still has Steiny) to suggest anyone that criticized him in '09, '10 for some obvious reasons had a comeuppance headed their way, especially Augusta National.

Putting anything that happened over the weekend in juxtaposition with his personal issues is probably the wrong approach. LOL, 9 + years later and you are looking for payback because Billy may have hurt Tiger's feelings (or yours)? Wrong tack to take.

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,639 ✭✭

@Birdie Mac said:
    Honestly, I wish Billy Payne had been in Butler Cabin for the ceremony. After that gratuitous dressing down he gave Tiger several years back, I'm sure Tiger would have gotten some less than guilty pleasure out of coming out on top again. Talk about glass houses.

what i immediately thought ... gonna go out on a limb and assume there are angc members with as many - if not more - skeletons in their closet as tiger, ... i agree with much of what the writer said in her piece ...

• Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 496 ✭✭

@Hawkeye77 said:

@Birdie Mac said:

LOL, I doubt even Tiger will ever be dumb enough from a PR perspective (well, he still has Steiny) to suggest anyone that criticized him in '09, '10 for some obvious reasons had a comeuppance headed their way, especially Augusta National.

Putting anything that happened over the weekend in juxtaposition with his personal issues is probably the wrong approach. LOL, 9 + years later and you are looking for payback because Billy may have hurt Tiger's feelings (or yours)? Wrong tack to take.

Tiger would never make a public statement about the criticism he got from Payne, but I would guarantee he would have enjoyed sitting across from him. I'm not convinced Payne's comments were necessary. Tiger is not an ANGC employee, and as such owes them nothing but playing his best. To me it felt like kicking a man while he's down. Water under the bridge now though.

• LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,901 ✭✭

Augusta detests ordinary golf fans because they barely give them a glimpse of the tournament? Pretty sure there is more coverage of the Masters than any other tournament in golf. Maybe she should have downloaded the app. Did this lady do any research before writing the article?

And I don’t know where she got her information that the “old guard” at Augusta wasn’t happy when Tiger won in 1997. I’ve had the privilege of playing golf (not at Aug Nat, very sore subject) with a few members that were there in 1997 and they all say that Tiger winning was one of the best things to happen not only to the Masters but golf in general. And one of those happy members was thick as thieves with Cliff. It doesn’t get anymore old guard than that.

Again, I don’t think she did any research or interviews for this article.

• dropkickeddropkicked TorontoMembers Posts: 493 ✭✭

@Hawkeye77 said:

@Birdie Mac said:

9+ years later you guys are still talking about his personal issues? You should all let it go.. I am certain many of you float while you pontificate because of your saintly nature..

• 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 1,004 ✭✭

I don't see where it was Payne's business.
    And I really don't think anyone at AGNC is capable of "hurting TW's feelings."
    The club itself is a silly. The tournament though, is great. Because of the players. And history of the players. Not because of the club or the members.
    Don't let anyone tell them that, though.

And that ceremony is ridiculous and always has been. Like the esteemed grandma-haired equire millionaire Chairman of the club patting the little golfer boy on the head in a funeral parlor. So silly.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭

It’s odd how some can see such negativity in tradition and one of the most coveted wins in the golf world. I don’t see it from her perspective in any way and Tiger will let his clubs do all the talking going forward.

Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭

Tiger's win/comeback/major will have a ripple effect. People will continue to talk and write about it for months.

We have the choice to engage it, or ignore it.

• MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,269 ✭✭

Yeah, I definitely get it. In 2019, the stuffy, low-energy way that ANGC chooses to present itself can easily seem dense and even downright pompous.

That whole Butler Cabin thing is just awkward AF.

And IMHO it's about time Jim Nantz got put out to pasture. I find the Miller/Faldo types entertaining. To me, so many of these commentators like Nantz are just unnatural and annoying.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange 60-X
    Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Black (16.5)
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics E8 (19)
    Hybrid: Adams Pro Black (23)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Nike Method Milled 003
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,401 ✭✭

I think her thesis is wrong but this was funny

"How about Woods’s comeback being one in the eye for all those horrendous golfing conservatives – I use the term euphemistically – who were only too pleased to write him off once his Hooters habit was discovered? As a matter of personal taste, I would have preferred it if he had been greeted off the 18th on Sunday by a couple of cocktail waitresses. But you can’t have it all."

@bscinstnct said:

"How about Woods’s comeback being one in the eye for all those horrendous golfing conservatives – I use the term euphemistically – who were only too pleased to write him off once his Hooters habit was discovered? As a matter of personal taste, I would have preferred it if he had been greeted off the 18th on Sunday by a couple of cocktail waitresses. But you can’t have it all."

+1 for your new avatar! Would have been epic if Tom Brady and MJ would have been behind Phelps.

@mosesgolf said:
    It’s odd how some can see such negativity in tradition and one of the most coveted wins in the golf world. I don’t see it from her perspective in any way and Tiger will let his clubs do all the talking going forward.

Tiger has always let his clubs do the talking, to the tune of 81 wins and 15 majors. I love the Masters tournament, but I'm certainly not a fan of the baggage that goes along with the 'tradition unlike any other'. And 3jacker was correct about Clifford Roberts being a world class ****. Not negativity, just fact.

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,731 ✭✭

@MelloYello said:
    Yeah, I definitely get it. In 2019, the stuffy, low-energy way that ANGC chooses to present itself can easily seem dense and even downright pompous.

That whole Butler Cabin thing is just awkward AF.

And IMHO it's about time Jim Nantz got put out to pasture. I find the Miller/Faldo types entertaining. To me, so many of these commentators like Nantz are just unnatural and annoying.

I don't like any of them as commentators, but Faldo is probably the worst commentator in the history of golf. I seriously hope this is trolling.

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,766 ✭✭

@bscinstnct said:

I almost said this in The Masters thread Sunday, so I'll say it here. It is rather interesting to note that the first major contested after the death of Dan Jenkins was won by Tiger Woods.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Woke up feeling a little dangerous today PAMembers Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited Apr 18, 2019 4:46pm #28

@sui generis said:
    There's a certain truth in this excerpt:

Even now, there is no more skin-crawling sight in golf than the Green Jacket presentation in the wretched interior of Augusta’s Butler Cabin, a place of staggering charmlessness and aesthetic death. Here, competitors who have achieved sporting triumph have to sit obediently on twee dining chairs while some dreadful commercial real estate lawyer (the chairman) informs them at remorseless length that they have been a “worthy” champion over the past year, or that the club is pleased to confer upon them something they literally just won. (Incidentally, no Masters TV viewer can imagine giving a millionth of a toss what “the club” feels about anything – because the club certainly couldn’t give one about them. Augusta detests ordinary golf fans so much it can barely stand to give them a glimpse of its tournament. The sheer amount of time viewers are expected to spend watching a shrub or listening to birdsong, until they deign to show you some scores or even some actual golf, is the most naked illustration of elite contempt in all of world sport.)

By a certain truth, I assume you're referencing that the green jacket presentation occurs in the Butler Cabin? The rest is Ms. Hyde's tortured opinion.

• 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 1,004 ✭✭

I just read it again but can't find any opinion in it just irrefutable facts.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers Posts: 1,605 ✭✭

That was an entertaining read.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,572 ✭✭
    edited Apr 18, 2019 11:38pm #31

Breath of fresh air. Without question the best article I've ever read about Woods. And "I would have preferred if he had been greeted off the 18th with a couple of waitresses" was nothing short of brilliant.

Post edited by dciccoritti on

Titleist TS2
    Titleist 718 MB 5-PW
    Taylormade MG 52 SB-09 | 56 SB-12 | 60 SB-10
    Callaway PM Grind 19 64.10
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour BXS