How good do you have to be to try and “ make it” as a pro?

Golf seems to be a rare sport where there are a pretty decent amount of people between 20-35 that are grinding to “ make it” on tour. I don’t know anyone that watches Steph Curry play basketball on TV and thinks “ ya I can probably shoot about that good”. And yet people watch the best in the world absolutely demolish golf courses and give the pro dream a go. How good do you think someone has to be to give up other career aspirations and try and make it via either smaller tours, q school, etc?

US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

• Like 2

I guess by make it you mean make a living? Or are you saying make it to the PGA tour?

Make a living - Maybe the APT tour? I bet a lot of these guys lack children and mortgages but that is besides the point.

https://agpts.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/agpt19/event/agpt193/contest/1/leaderboard.htm Winner played to a plus 3 handicap average. We can always debate how tricked up the course was and conditions like wind or rain but i lack all of that and probably everyone else does too. Given that there are probably some nerves involved, maybe the winner lost 2 strokes average per round? So, a plus 5 handicap to make it on a mini tour?

Iteach is 100% correct. Plenty of guys chase the pro dream in other sports too, G league, Europe league , China league etc for NBA. XFL, CFL, various other regional pro leagues for football

Golfers look more normal than NBA or NFL players because you don't have to be 6'8 or 240lbs. But that's to people on their couch, not people actually trying to make it who realize how good you have to be.

I don't think many clueless people really pursue pro golf. Probably no more than the NBA or NFL. Plenty of guys who you've never heard of have toiled in minor leagues for other sports, I'm one of them!

If you're not a +5, +6 in your teens, it's probably gonna be a REALLY uphill battle

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I think there are just as many guys in different sports trying to make it. I think what makes golf seem more attainable is that it's an individual sport with a fairly well supported and competitive amateur scene. Qualifying for tournaments is also a lot different than making a team. You don't need to fit a certain mold and be evaluated favorably by a scout at a tryout. No one will judge your height, weight, jump, or mechanics. Your score is the only thing that matters. If you can afford the entry fee and a caddie, you can play and have the round of your life. I can't think of another sport (aside from maybe tennis) where you can literally play well for 2 days (3 rounds) and find yourself on the same stage as the world's best competing for a national title and a cool $1.6 million.

> @iteachgolf said:

> US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

>

> Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

>

> I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Yeah, if you're not already a pro when you are in your 20's you might as well give up. Just stick to the amateur tournaments where you can be competitive. There are some guys there who used to be pro's anyway and gave it up. I think people look at DJ bombing and think oh yeah I can do that! And then they get on the range and reality sinks in. It's basically the same for basketball. You can imagine a lot of things, but it's not even close. Playing against NBA defenders is a different planet compared to YMCA. Being good at your local course is nothing close to being good on a PGA course setup.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

> >

> > Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

> >

> > I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

>

> As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

> > >

> > > Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

> > >

> > > I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

> >

> > As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

>

> Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

I think it's also important to understand that the +6 and +7 hcp's are traveling hcp's not home course.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @juststeve said:

> When you are well under par, consistently, on a wide variety of courses and dominating in USGA amateur tournaments its time to consider turning pro. If you can't do that turning pro is an unrealistic dream.

> Steve

Plenty of successful pros haven’t dominated in USGA events. Many never won a single USGA event and plenty never made it past 1st or second round of match play

• Like 1

> @buzzthecat said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

> > > >

> > > > Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

> > > >

> > > > I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

> > >

> > > As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

> >

> > Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

>

> I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @buzzthecat said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

> > > > >

> > > > > Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

> > > > >

> > > > > I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

> > > >

> > > > As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

> > >

> > > Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

> >

> > I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

>

> It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

>

> If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

>

> A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

>

> I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

All good points. I play in the midwest on public courses so you hit the nail on the head.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > When you are well under par, consistently, on a wide variety of courses and dominating in USGA amateur tournaments its time to consider turning pro. If you can't do that turning pro is an unrealistic dream.

> > Steve

>

> Plenty of successful pros haven’t dominated in USGA events. Many never won a single USGA event and plenty never made it past 1st or second round of match play

Perhaps dominating amateur events is a bit much. The point I was trying to make is that ball striking proficiency isn't enough. It must be combined with a disposition that allows one to compete against other proficient players. One way to demonstrate that is in tournament play. There may be other ways as well.

Steve

• Like 1

> @buzzthecat said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > > @buzzthecat said:

> > > > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

> > > > >

> > > > > As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

> > > >

> > > > Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

> > >

> > > I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

> >

> > It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

> >

> > If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

> >

> > A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

> >

> > I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

>

> All good points. I play in the midwest on public courses so you hit the nail on the head.

That’s kinda why I was asking iTeach for his input on the handicaps. I’m down to a 3 now as well. I’m a member of a private club and there are numerous people better than me that I play with on a regular basis.

But the point remains that a 3 cap is better at golf than the vast majority of humans on planet earth. Even so, the same 3 cap isn’t even remotely in the same universe when it comes to the talent and ability of these +5, +6, +7 kids.

A lot of these high level Ams that I know of are a Tournament +4 because they only post competitive rounds. If they posted all their rounds; like going to the home course and playing the white-tees with grandpa and shooting 63 they’d probably be +8 or something insane.

The talent that’s out there is really amazing.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @buzzthecat said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > > US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

> > > > >

> > > > > Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

> > > > >

> > > > > I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

> > > >

> > > > As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

> > >

> > > Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

> >

> > I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

>

> It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

>

> If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

>

> A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

>

> I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

When you mentioned about 3 HC better than 98% of golfers. I looked this up on USGA.

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/handicap-index-statistics/mens-handicap-index-statistics-d24e6096.html

I was +3.8 at my best but I couldn't hold a candle to those guys, they are so good in lot of areas. I'm around +1 right now and there are 2-3 guys at my club that I would consider a better golfer than I am. One of them is thinking about Monday qualifying few times around midwest this summer. I would tell him to save his money.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

> @tgard227 said:

> I guess by make it you mean make a living? Or are you saying make it to the PGA tour?

> Make a living - Maybe the APT tour? I bet a lot of these guys lack children and mortgages but that is besides the point.

> https://agpts.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/agpt19/event/agpt193/contest/1/leaderboard.htm Winner played to a plus 3 handicap average. We can always debate how tricked up the course was and conditions like wind or rain but i lack all of that and probably everyone else does too. Given that there are probably some nerves involved, maybe the winner lost 2 strokes average per round? So, a plus 5 handicap to make it on a mini tour?

I meant to eventually make it on the PGA tour and have everything that goes with it. I guess I have a hard time believing people (especially golf) would give up the best career years of their lives to just be competitive on mini tours and make a “ decent living”. But ya I know several people that play on that exact tour and it’s hard to tell just how wide the gap between something like that and the PGA tour is.

> @br61 said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > > @buzzthecat said:

> > > > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

> > > > >

> > > > > As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

> > > >

> > > > Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

> > >

> > > I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

> >

> > It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

> >

> > If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

> >

> > A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

> >

> > I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

>

> When you mentioned about 3 HC better than 98% of golfers. I looked this up on USGA.

>

> https://www.usga.org/handicapping/handicap-index-statistics/mens-handicap-index-statistics-d24e6096.html

>

> I was +3.8 at my best but I couldn't hold a candle to those guys, they are so good in lot of areas. I'm around +1 right now and there are 2-3 guys at my club that I would consider a better golfer than I am. One of them is thinking about Monday qualifying few times around midwest this summer. I would tell him to save his money.

>

Thanks for the link!

Was a guess but I was fairly close!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Maybe this’ll give ya a sense of the difference between one of the Premier Mid-Am Players of our generation and the run of the mill, you, me and very very few on this board have ever heard of Web.commers......

Nathan Smith, a FIVE-TIME USGA Champion with FOUR of those being the United States Mid-Am and one of the most decorated Amateurs ever, a 3-Time Walker Cupper and ya read it here that he will one day Captain the Walker Cup Team along with receiving four Masters Invites, who along with Bob Jones are the only two male Ams to EVER win the same USGA event FOUR Times, never made a cut in one of those Masters though more telling is that while he also received 3 Invites to a local Web.com event and 3 invites to a local PGA event, both now extinct, he didn’t make a single cut in any of the six.

I caddied for my Tour Bud in one of the Web.com events and of the 74 guys that made the cut, I had not heard of 59 of those 74 Players, and I guarantee ya that none of em had the Amateur career that Nathan has had and a Walker Cup invite was a fantasy that most could never have entertained, however every single one of em had more game than Nathan when it came to Playin for Pay.

It takes an incredible amount of skill, an unbelievable amount of drive, focus & mental toughness and a large dose of luck, more than 99.99%+ have.

Ask @rangersgoalie (Patrick), who had his card just short of a decade prior to a career ending shoulder injury, or another member, @GolfingBro (Matthew Hansen), who has a Tour Thread chronicling his three year journey from a College All-American to attempting to secure his Web.com card and his obtaining his Canadian PGA card outa the gate though he didn’t win enough money to keep it and last year Playing where he could when he could to win some money and get his game in shape for another run at the Web.com Q, which he didn’t advance to the next stage, though his game did turn the corner at the end of ‘18 and over the holidays and into the new year and he just got 1 of 14 cards given at the Canadian PGA Q. Drop into his thread and ask him how tough it is. He’s a Class act and will answer your question.

I’m obviously not speaking for either Gent though I will say that in a nutshell, it’s a bi*** Bro?

All the Best,

RP

• Like 3

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Tennis is similar. I was ranked nationally back in the late 1980's, and even tried my hand at the satellite pro tournaments after college. I thought I was pretty good but got destroyed in my first tourney, and did better in my second, but still not...great. Most people and even many athletes, regardless of sport, don't really realize the difference in talent until you get a taste of competition against upper tier/professional level folks. I realized pretty quickly that while I was good and had talent...I wasn't that level of good. It's the same in a lot of sports.

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @br61 said:

> > > @MtlJeff said:

> > > > @buzzthecat said:

> > > > > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

> > > >

> > > > I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

> > >

> > > It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

> > >

> > > If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

> > >

> > > A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

> > >

> > > I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

> >

> > When you mentioned about 3 HC better than 98% of golfers. I looked this up on USGA.

> >

> > https://www.usga.org/handicapping/handicap-index-statistics/mens-handicap-index-statistics-d24e6096.html

> >

> > I was +3.8 at my best but I couldn't hold a candle to those guys, they are so good in lot of areas. I'm around +1 right now and there are 2-3 guys at my club that I would consider a better golfer than I am. One of them is thinking about Monday qualifying few times around midwest this summer. I would tell him to save his money.

> >

>

> Thanks for the link!

>

> Was a guess but I was fairly close!

One thing to note, that stat is also just for people who actually keep a formal index. I'd bet a majority of golfers don't.

> @Golfonthemind said:

> > @tgard227 said:

> > I guess by make it you mean make a living? Or are you saying make it to the PGA tour?

> > Make a living - Maybe the APT tour? I bet a lot of these guys lack children and mortgages but that is besides the point.

> > https://agpts.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/agpt19/event/agpt193/contest/1/leaderboard.htm Winner played to a plus 3 handicap average. We can always debate how tricked up the course was and conditions like wind or rain but i lack all of that and probably everyone else does too. Given that there are probably some nerves involved, maybe the winner lost 2 strokes average per round? So, a plus 5 handicap to make it on a mini tour?

>

> I meant to eventually make it on the PGA tour and have everything that goes with it. I guess I have a hard time believing people (especially golf) would give up the best career years of their lives to just be competitive on mini tours and make a “ decent living”. But ya I know several people that play on that exact tour and it’s hard to tell just how wide the gap between something like that and the PGA tour is.

>

>

I have a hard time believing that one would have a great game and decide to walk away from it without at least trying. You can always go back to the office later in life.

• Like 1

> @physasst said:

> Most people, regardless of sport, don't really realize the difference in talent

THIS is the most astute comment in the thread!!

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @tgard227 said:

> > @Golfonthemind said:

> > > @tgard227 said:

> > > I guess by make it you mean make a living? Or are you saying make it to the PGA tour?

> > > Make a living - Maybe the APT tour? I bet a lot of these guys lack children and mortgages but that is besides the point.

> > > https://agpts.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/agpt19/event/agpt193/contest/1/leaderboard.htm Winner played to a plus 3 handicap average. We can always debate how tricked up the course was and conditions like wind or rain but i lack all of that and probably everyone else does too. Given that there are probably some nerves involved, maybe the winner lost 2 strokes average per round? So, a plus 5 handicap to make it on a mini tour?

> >

> > I meant to eventually make it on the PGA tour and have everything that goes with it. I guess I have a hard time believing people (especially golf) would give up the best career years of their lives to just be competitive on mini tours and make a “ decent living”. But ya I know several people that play on that exact tour and it’s hard to tell just how wide the gap between something like that and the PGA tour is.

> >

> >

> I have a hard time believing that one would have a great game and decide to walk away from it without at least trying. You can always go back to the office later in life.

>

Some people just do the math. Odds of making it in a pro sport are low if you aren't a blue chipper, if you don't make it and start in an office later in life you potentially make huge earnings sacrifices. Companies like young folks because they can groom them and grow in the company at a reasonable rate. Most companies don't want to hire 30yr olds in entry level positions , they'd rather hire a 23yr old who will be more patient. Sucks but this is the reality in many places. It's nice to get in a company young , if you work hard you can do well. Not as glamorous as pro sports but hey, it pays the bills

When I was 23 the starting salary in my job was the same as a CFL player. And I wouldn't have to live in Winnipeg or Saskatchewan praying for an NFL shot. I sometimes wish I'd tried, buy realistically if I didn't make it, I'd be doing a lot worse than I am now

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > When you are well under par, consistently, on a wide variety of courses and dominating in USGA amateur tournaments its time to consider turning pro. If you can't do that turning pro is an unrealistic dream.

> > Steve

>

> Plenty of successful pros haven’t dominated in USGA events. Many never won a single USGA event and plenty never made it past 1st or second round of match play

Absolutely, great point!!

Many guys turn the corner and the light goes on when they begin to Play for Pay and the list is incredibly long of USGA Champions and great Ams who couldn’t make a cut in a satellite event or Canadian Tour event, much less even qualify for a Web.com Tour event, lol

Do a Monday Q for a Tour event???

GTFOH??

For every Bryson, there are 1000’s of Nathan Smiths & Sean Knapps world wide, and they are two Studs, make no f****** mistake about it!!

All the Best,

RP

> @BB28403 said:

> So the odds of a person making it in Pro golf are much worse than other sports?

> Do any pros spring to mind that barely made it recently?

Lanto Griffin is a good example of how winning at the right time can change things. But also how tough it can be. He won an event after making the cut on the number and earned his PGA Tour card.