Shoes and no deal

ffmedicmatt

So I’ve been looking on WRX for some golf shoes. I only have 6 pairs so I needed another pair (or 2). I found a pair I liked, PM’d the dude and found out we were pretty close to each other. I asked what he’d be willing to take. No response. Messaged again a day later with an offer. No response. A day later, he responds with “sorry they sold”. I looked a few times to see if he logged in during the first couple messages and he did time multiple times I noticed.

Does this equate to a d ick move? I’m not going to shun the dude but if someone is conversing about it and makes an offer, I’d at least respond to the offer.

> @Krt22 said:

> Not a dick move. Your first response wasn't serious, how much will you take is a what a lot of low balling day dreamers use. Your second offer was likely lower than his asking price and thus ignored. His final response was a kind way of letting you know your offer wasn't realistic.

^^^^^

This. If you want to negotiate, start with an offer. What I am willing to take is already listed.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

> @mister2cool said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Not a dick move. Your first response wasn't serious, how much will you take is a what a lot of low balling day dreamers use. Your second offer was likely lower than his asking price and thus ignored. His final response was a kind way of letting you know your offer wasn't realistic.

>

> ^^^^^

> This. If you want to negotiate, start with an offer. What I am willing to take is already listed.

I am the same as you.

Whenever I get the message with what is the lowest you will take I reply with feel free to make an offer.

> @gmangolf said:

> Whenever someone gives me the “what’s the lowest...” line, I’m tempted to reply back and raise the price.

I don't sell any on here for this exact reason, and the reason I only use Buy It Now on eBay. I do my research to see average selling price, then create an auction with a starting bid a little below that with a BIN price slightly higher. Usually someone uses the BIN. I get more than average and don't have to look at asinine offers. The buyer knows exactly what they are paying, not placing a bid and waiting it out to see if they win.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

> @mister2cool said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Not a dick move. Your first response wasn't serious, how much will you take is a what a lot of low balling day dreamers use. Your second offer was likely lower than his asking price and thus ignored. His final response was a kind way of letting you know your offer wasn't realistic.

>

> ^^^^^

> This. If you want to negotiate, start with an offer. What I am willing to take is already listed.

However most people are willing to take something lower. The price posted is normally what they want, not what they’ll accept.

> @ffmedicmatt said:

> > @mister2cool said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > Not a dick move. Your first response wasn't serious, how much will you take is a what a lot of low balling day dreamers use. Your second offer was likely lower than his asking price and thus ignored. His final response was a kind way of letting you know your offer wasn't realistic.

> >

> > ^^^^^

> > This. If you want to negotiate, start with an offer. What I am willing to take is already listed.

>

> However most people are willing to take something lower. The price posted is normally what they want, not what they’ll accept.

Yeah but these items are usually already discounted significantly. If you want a discount on top of that, make an offer. Don't expect the seller to tell you their bottom price.

• Like 1

@straightshot7 I think it’s easier to ask what they’d be willing to take. I haven’t had any issues doing that before. I have never, and will never low ball someone on something. You ask $100 for something I’m not going to message you and ask if you’ll take $30 for it. However most of the time, when I have messaged someone like that I get a response back that is a little less then what they posted. Rather than go back and forth with offers and what not, it’s it just easier to say hey I’m interested what’s the lowest you’ll go? If it’s good for you then good. If not then oh well

> @ffmedicmatt said:

> @straightshot7 I think it’s easier to ask what they’d be willing to take. I haven’t had any issues doing that before. I have never, and will never low ball someone on something. You ask $100 for something I’m not going to message you and ask if you’ll take $30 for it. However most of the time, when I have messaged someone like that I get a response back that is a little less then what they posted. Rather than go back and forth with offers and what not, it’s it just easier to say hey I’m interested what’s the lowest you’ll go? If it’s good for you then good. If not then oh well

There was a thread about that and some people don't mind the question but some do.

If you were the seller and the item was listed at $100, and you got three messages: the first one offered $90, the second one offered $85, and the third said "what's the lowest you'll take?"...which of these people are you going to prioritize?

Don't be surprised that you are ignored if you ask that question and others are making offers.

I really don’t know the seller’s reasoning for the way he acted, we only have the details you provided from your point of view. I’d probably have to know more from the seller’s end before I’d give you a strong opinion on this particular situation. Maybe he wasn’t ready to play the “what’s the lowest you’ll take” game yet, maybe he sold the shoes and had stopped paying attention to his messages.

Here’s a conversation I started this past fall that had some back-and-forth on the “what’s the lowest you’ll take” strategy; you will see that while some may use it and see no harm, there are some others that get slightly irritated/ annoyed by it. There’s no right or wrong, and folks can sell their stuff however they’d like, but you should be aware that tactics you find perfectly acceptable and part of the game, might offend or upset others:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1702388/how-do-you-respond-to-this

Can I also say that I think it’s gross buying used shoes? To each their own.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

> @ffmedicmatt said:

> @straightshot7 I think it’s easier to ask what they’d be willing to take. I haven’t had any issues doing that before. I have never, and will never low ball someone on something. You ask $100 for something I’m not going to message you and ask if you’ll take $30 for it. However most of the time, when I have messaged someone like that I get a response back that is a little less then what they posted. Rather than go back and forth with offers and what not, it’s it just easier to say hey I’m interested what’s the lowest you’ll go? If it’s good for you then good. If not then oh well

It's easier for _you_. I typically ignore those responses, especially if I have actual offers. That's probably what happened.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

> @LPSISCO said:

> I’m likely to ignore the “what’s the lowest you’ll take?” question. It generally becomes the new starting point for the guy to offer you less. No thanks.

I very seldom respond to "whats the lowest you'll take?" question either. Im over selling on the BST. I pretty much try to give my stuff away and still get a ton of lowball offers. There are def some good buyers on here that realize a good deal when they see one, but the cheapskates outnumber the good ones!

They've already put out the price they want. They started the process and made the first step in the negotiation. If you feel like you want to pay less, offer what you're willing to pay. They've already told you want they want to sell for.

As a seller, this can be seen as a cheap cop out to get the bartering started in a more advantages position for the buyer. I've played this game with buyers before. More often than not, it ends with crickets and me selling to someone else when you don't knock off a huge percentage from your original price.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

> @SubaruWRX said:

> “What’s the lowest price you’re willing to sell for?”

>

> “Thanks for your interest. What’s the MOST you’re willing to pay?”

This is perfect!! You know what's funny, is that if somebody said that to a buyer they would be on here calling the seller a dick.

If I'm gonna get low balled I would rather them just sent a price so I know not to waste my time responding rather than having a back and forth. Last time I sold something on BST (716 AP2), I got 2 PMs offering half or less than what I was asking... and the starting price I threw out was more than fair because I wanted to move them quickly. I knocked off $30 for shipping to the first person who sent me a reasonable offer.

> @ffmedicmatt said:

You can do as you wish, just don't get butt hurt when you don't get the response you feel entitled to. Folks are telling you exactly how they might view your approach, up to you to accept that other's don't see it the same way you do.

> @earleyrc said:

> > @SubaruWRX said:

> > “What’s the lowest price you’re willing to sell for?”

> >

> > “Thanks for your interest. What’s the MOST you’re willing to pay?”

>

> This is perfect!! You know what's funny, is that if somebody said that to a buyer they would be on here calling the seller a dick.

>

> If I'm gonna get low balled I would rather them just sent a price so I know not to waste my time responding rather than having a back and forth. Last time I sold something on BST (716 AP2), I got 2 PMs offering half or less than what I was asking... and the starting price I threw out was more than fair because I wanted to move them quickly. I knocked off $30 for shipping to the first person who sent me a reasonable offer.

>

>

That is my stock line when people ask me what my lowest price is. I had someone get really upset with me about it too. I just had to laugh. "Dude, if youre going to get this agitated during the negotiation process (which we're not in, you havent given me a number) , i'm certainly not going to sell something to you." He probably called me a dick and started a thread about it.

I'm not going to negotiate against myself. I already gave a number when I created the ad.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

> @ffmedicmatt said:

From seller's perspective, that is just not a good approach in negotiate. If you are serious about the item, make a serious offer. A comment like what's the lowest you'll take comes across somewhat halfhearted as if you can't even be bothered to come up with a real offer. Surely some people may not mind as much as others, and you can certainly continue to ask that. However, don't expect everyone to see it the way you do all the time.

• Like 1

PXG SD 58*

> @GoIrish17 said:

>.....

> Can I also say that I think it’s gross buying used shoes? To each their own.

LOL.. that's what I always thought!!! I mean.. my shoes stink so I would feel right even trying to sell them, and I can't picture others' don't. hahahahaha

PXG SD 58*