Tiger WD

Comments

• BearQBearQ Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It’s very reassuring that he plans to play next week

Could easily be a minor setback and a nice playoffs run. I think we’re all digging too deep at this

Cobra LTD Pro (9.5*) - Matrix Type C 70X 
    TM M2 Tour 3W (15*) - Matrix Black Tie 80M4-X
    TM P790 UDI #2 (18*) | TP UDI #3 (20*) - Matrix Black Tie HM4 105X 
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Nike VR Forged (56DS) | Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 35" - ping blackout

• straightshot7straightshot7 Members Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 9, 2019 7:25pm #33

@CasualLie said:
    Definitely a disappointing year even with the Masters win. The Masters win was great for golf, a great story, but looking back so much had to fall into place, more so than your typical major. It was super rare.
    Many thought after the TC win last year that 2019 was shaping as a big year for TW. All the majors were supposed to be very doable having won at three of the courses and Portrush fairly benign. The win at Masters seemingly reinforced the idea of a big year. And then....a lead balloon.
    Yes, end of an era, and a great way to go out a la Jack's win in 1986 at age 46. But this talk of catching Jack...we can let that go now.

There's no way it can be considered a dissapointing year with a Major win. Even the most optimistic Tiger fans were not sure that would happen.

Yes the health issues are dissapointing but still a successful year.

• FootWedge16FootWedge16 Members Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@jdc944 said:
    Does he just call it a season and rest up for next year?

I hope he does. Just try and get healthy and we'll see ya at Augusta.

• chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, starting to think him winning the Masters was a bit of a miracle.

• SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BearQ said:

Could easily be a minor setback and a nice playoffs run. I think we’re all digging too deep at this

Could be minor. But I think every Tiger fan is scarred from the past. He's rarely been forthright with what his injuries actually are.

I hope it's as minor as he's leading on. Personally, I think he should sit out for the rest of the year, rest and get things to be back to whatever his version of normal is. At this point in his career, I'm not sure why he even cares about the playoffs. Heck, say he does play next week and does well enough to make it in the top 30. What's in the point in playing the tour championship with a 10 stroke handicap?

If we see Tiger next year, it's going to be for something like 6-8 events. The majors, the players and whatever tournaments make the most sense (Farmers? Memorial?)... and tha'ts gonna be it.

Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BearQ said:

He's hardly played since Augusta and when he has, he hasnt played well. I realize the "Tiger needs to play or I wont watch" crowd is upset, but they better get used to it.

I think we've seen the last of Tiger this season, except when he's the captain for the Presidents Cup.

• Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@chigolfer1 said:

Does he get sainthood status now? :D

• JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@chigolfer1 said:

It was the Jack in 1986 moment for this generation of golf fans. Everything went right just one more time.

• Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CasualLie said:
    Definitely a disappointing year even with the Masters win. The Masters win was great for golf, a great story, but looking back so much had to fall into place, more so than your typical major. It was super rare.
    Many thought after the TC win last year that 2019 was shaping as a big year for TW. All the majors were supposed to be very doable having won at three of the courses and Portrush fairly benign. The win at Masters seemingly reinforced the idea of a big year. And then....a lead balloon.
    Yes, end of an era, and a great way to go out a la Jack's win in 1986 at age 46. But this talk of catching Jack...we can let that go now.

I wasn't disappointed at all. After years of thinking Tiger either wouldn't play again or couldn't contend, watching him win the Masters with his kids watching was amazing. Koepka's great season notwithstanding, the Masters was the golf story of the year, IMHO.

And by the way, unless a golfer boat races his opponents, things always have to fall in place to win. Golf is hard, and winning at that level is even harder.

• NJpatbeeNJpatbee Ocean County, NJMembers Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If Tiger had even a minor injury and was so far behind after the first round I think he was wise to call it a day. I think he will play next week and if his back holds up make a decent showing. If he doesn't play, the injury may be more serious than he is admitting.

• chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JaNelson38 said:

@chigolfer1 said:

It was the Jack in 1986 moment for this generation of golf fans. Everything went right just one more time.

very possible

• legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYMembers Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@NJpatbee said:
    If Tiger had even a minor injury and was so far behind after the first round I think he was wise to call it a day. I think he will play next week and if his back holds up make a decent showing. If he doesn't play, the injury may be more serious than he is admitting.

This sounds reasonable. I'll step off the ledge, for now.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,616 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JaNelson38 said:

@BearQ said:

He's hardly played since Augusta and when he has, he hasnt played well. I realize the "Tiger needs to play or I wont watch" crowd is upset, but they better get used to it.

I think we've seen the last of Tiger this season, except when he's the captain for the Presidents Cup.

You may be correct. But it’s a sad time for the game if so. It may regress to 1995 pga tour with him gone permanently. We keep waiting for a replacement , and it hasn’t happened. There’s no denying the uptick in viewers (both live and on tv ) that tiger playing well brings. That being said , it’s a given that the game will suffer when he’s gone for good. And that isn’t something that anyone should want to get used to. Him leaving the game minus a dominant leader isn’t a good thing.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• buckeye440buckeye440 Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭✭

@NJpatbee said:
    I think he will play next week and if his back holds up make a decent showing.

Based off what? April through August (4.5 months) he has played 6 times with 3 missed cuts. Not really instilling any confidence in me that he will make another top 25 this year.

• tobiasjdtobiasjd Members Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭

@hdr_ric said:

@puttingmatt said:
    Don't know if he is required to play a certain amount of tournaments, if not,
    Call it a year, he has had a great season. Master's defending champion in the spring.
    Protection of his body should be his primary concern

Tiger does NOT have to play a certain number of tournaments each year. He is exempt from that rule (I believe due to his lifetime membership status for 20+ wins).

Even if there wasn't such an exemption, he would get a sponsor exemption for any tournament he wished to play ever.

Cobra King LTD Black
    Titleist 910FD 15° 3w
    Titleist 917F2 18° 5w
    Callaway Apex 4h
    PING iBlade 5 - PW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 52°, 56° SS
    Titleist Vokey 60° K
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BearQ said:

I'm not saying he's faking but he's done this in past, WD when he was playing terribly for some ailment then a week or two later he's back in the tournament looking normal. Obviously something is bothering him this week but compared to what he's gone through with his back, sounds pretty minor. I'd bet money he tries to tee up next week

• nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know I'm going against the grain here but I think that it is time he hung the clubs up. The fact is that there is a grave danger that continuing to play top level golf could lead to permanent , irreparable damage. He probably has 40 plus years left God willing, half a life time and there are so many things that he can still achieve, perhaps in the philanthropic field. Then there is his family.
    He is rich beyond most peoples wildest dreams and with a modicum of good health his wealth will allow him quality time with his children, they won't be children forever and he has nothing left to prove to them, or anyone else for that matter.
    His biggest fans may feel cheated by any of this but surely for someone who has given so much it would be better if he went on a high note rather than slowly fade away, which if the current situation is in any way indicative of the future, is what will happen.

Callaway Rogue UST Recoil 
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW TTDG
    Japanese Tour Forged AW
    Japanese Tour Forged SW
    Mizuno T105
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX

So Tiger wins the Tour Championship, technically last year and The Masters in calendar year 2019 (yes, a major, he hadn't won one since when, lol?) and some are claiming he had a disappointing year?

Unreal.

No way El Tigre thinks he's had a disappointing year, no way.

• KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Is he not gonna play in Japan later this year?

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@KRAMER1997 said:

Skins game vs Rory?

• KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

@farmer said:

@KRAMER1997 said:

Skins game vs Rory?

Yeah and the PGA tour tournament in Japan.

• golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@nichho said:
    I know I'm going against the grain here but I think that it is time he hung the clubs up. The fact is that there is a grave danger that continuing to play top level golf could lead to permanent , irreparable damage. He probably has 40 plus years left God willing, half a life time and there are so many things that he can still achieve, perhaps in the philanthropic field. Then there is his family.
    He is rich beyond most peoples wildest dreams and with a modicum of good health his wealth will allow him quality time with his children, they won't be children forever and he has nothing left to prove to them, or anyone else for that matter.
    His biggest fans may feel cheated by any of this but surely for someone who has given so much it would be better if he went on a high note rather than slowly fade away, which if the current situation is in any way indicative of the future, is what will happen.

Anyone want to take credit for the idiotic flagging of what is a perfectly reasonable comment? This stuff eats up moderator’s time for no reason.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@golfgirlrobin said:

@nichho said:

Anyone want to take credit for the idiotic flagging of what is a perfectly reasonable comment? This stuff eats up moderator’s time for no reason.

Someone just going around trolling,, talked to moderator about it. They will get theirs soon enough

• mukstermukster The secret IS in the dirt North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Popped in to see how quickly someone would use the term "hater", not disappointed. Surprised to see no one has mentioned the broken leg story yet.

Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hang it up until the Hero in December, then hang it up until late February then gear up exactly for the Masters like he did this year. Non-majors are just pointless for Tiger now, unless they serve as a prep for a major. The next major is 8 months away.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • 1t2golf1t2golf Marshals Posts: 3,319 mod
    edited Aug 9, 2019 10:32pm #57

@Redjeep83 said:

@golfgirlrobin said:

@nichho said:

Someone just going around trolling,, talked to moderator about it. They will get theirs soon enough

He's been taken care of. For future reference, use the report option on the post for us to review.

Sic omnia fatis In peius ruere ac retro sublapsa referri...semper ubi sub ubi
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Charlotte, NCMembers Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭

@nichho said:

You will never understand the mind of a professional athlete.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0° w/ HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 60g
    Callaway XR16 3w 15° w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    KZG 2i w/ DG S300
    Mizuno MP-32 3-PW w/ DG S300
    Mizuno MP Series 52°/7° w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 58°/8° w/ DG S400 
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter
    Titleist AVX golf balls
  • Enduro59Enduro59 Members Posts: 137 ✭✭✭

@legitimategolf said:
    Aside from Koepka, I'm starting to think this is a weak era. In which a broke down, fused back, has-been, 43 year old chili-dipper can still compete with the so-called young guns (who supposedly have no fear), and still win the biggest of events, and rise to top 5 in the world rankings.

This is what happens when prize money for the 69 losers becomes obscene. We'll see what happens next year but I've never seen so many times when these young superstars look like world beaters one week/year and a mediocre chump the next.

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,189 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mukster said:
    Popped in to see how quickly someone would use the term "hater", not disappointed. Surprised to see no one has mentioned the broken leg story yet.

I mention it prominently here ; )

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1785835/the-strange-case-of-tiger-woods/p2

• Sandhurst241069Sandhurst241069 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

Just feels like there’s been a paradigm shift this year .. and while it may just be motivational following the Masters, hard not to wonder whether there’s been a material physical setback / regression (lets hope not gym related). Either way he needs the off-season reset and how he comes out early 2020 is going to tell the story...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file