Got trackman'd for the first time ever; apparently, I'm a unicorn in multiple ways.

kwhitegocubs

So, I've played golf for over 25 years and about 20 fairly seriously (since high school). But I'd never had an extended session with the fancy computer systems. I have a very... unusual swing (fast, late transition, I'm very large for a woman at 6'2, 250-ish, and I have a neutral baseball grip with the extended thumb on my left hand). I also have a wide stance.

But apparently some of the numbers that came up were very unusual, to the degree various Golf Galaxy staffers were coming around to look at things. My driver clubhead speed was very high (107-111), though with every driver but the Rogue SZ I tried I was hitting 4000-5000 rpm. With the Rogue SZ and an Extra Stiff it was showing 1800-2100 rpm. I may have to bite the bullet and buy one, given the tracker showed it added 30 yards to my drives (to about 295-298) on the simulator. I was told my swing speed was among the fastest they'd seen with a driver, period.

But the apparent weirdest part was my irons. The ones I hit best were Tommy Armour Atomic Max, which was a surprise given how weird they look. My swing speed isn't really absurd with irons (76-81 with a 7 iron). The issue was that, regardless of club, my launch angle was very high (apparently) at 21-23 degrees with a 27 degree ultra-strong 7 iron. It was going about 180 carry and 195 total, but with extremely low spin (2800-3000 rpm consistently). Which may explain the long travel and roll despite the swing speed not being terribly high. They thought it may be broken or having an error, but it was not broken based on other people's results.

With a 9 iron, the launch was between 28 and 37 degrees, apparently also very high, going about 150 yards, but also with spin in the low 3000s. That seems to prove that my sense that I hit genuine knuckleballs with my short-mid irons is correct. They wobble right to left and then back right, or however they want to move. I always wondered why I didn't ever see other people's balls move that way, but thought I could be overthinking it. But no. The ball doesn't spin, it just stops due to the height.

But it is apparently almost impossible to hit the ball that hard and high with that little spin, so I'm perplexed?

Does anyone else have consistently ultra low spin on their irons? What have you done, if anything to correct it? Is it worth worrying about?

Is it the ball? What ball were you hitting on the data test? What about on the course? Were you hitting a ladies ball?

You may know already but golf balls have different covers on them and made differently (2-piece, 3-piece etc), compression can be different and other factors.

If you read about you will see that the golf ball can make a huge difference especially with higher swing speeds. Like i say though you may know this already in which case I don’t have the answer

Tour average spin rate for a 9 iron is 8647rpm. You're almost 66% lower.

I'm no expert but I very much suspect your Trackman Unit is FUBAR.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

> @kwhitegocubs said:

> But apparently some of the numbers that came up were very unusual, to the degree various Golf Galaxy staffers were coming around to look at things.

> .....

> Does anyone else have consistently ultra low spin on their irons? What have you done, if anything to correct it? Is it worth worrying about?

From the first quoted line above it sounds like you were indoors. Trackman is not good at picking up spin indoors unless the balls have reflective metal dots on them and are oriented a specific way when you hit them. As others have pointed out, you also need to use a decent golf ball.

Your iron speed seems a little low compared to you driver speed so it's possible you've got something in your swing, like a flip at impact, that's robbing you of spin. That said, the reported numbers do not look right.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Every golf galaxy I’ve been to (3) uses a foresight, not trackman. Are we sure it was a trackman? Different technologies.

That said, do you compress the ball or pick it off the turf? My #s are similar to yours (a few mph slower on the drive, but higher on the irons) and I too have a high spinning drive/ low spinning irons (2900/ 5000 respectively). I’m a picker and seldom take a divot.

> @Chunking said:

> Every golf galaxy I’ve been to (3) uses a foresight, not trackman. Are we sure it was a trackman? Different technologies.

>

> That said, do you compress the ball or pick it off the turf? My #s are similar to yours (a few mph slower on the drive, but higher on the irons) and I too have a high spinning drive/ low spinning irons (2900/ 5000 respectively). I’m a picker and seldom take a divot.

>

I didn't know there was a difference! Again, I've always been a very raw player (even though I was a single digit for a long time) and have never done any of this kind of analysis. Yes, I'm a pure picker. If I take a divot, it's fat. I don't know if I've ever taken an intentional post ball divot. Maybe that's why I have the ultra low spinning irons. I don't think I even got to 5000rpm on a single iron. My drives were higher (with an old Burner 09) spinning than my 7 iron!

> @JohnnyCashForever said:

> Female. 6'2''. 111-mph swing speed...among the fastest ever seen at that GG. 300-yard drives. A total of 4 posts. Forgive me, but I need to see a video of this swing.

If I had 100 posts, will it be more to your liking? I've lurked here for 11 years (no, really, look at my account) and I ask a question because I'm getting back into more "serious" golf, and this is the kind of "welcome". If it was a guy would you be so skeptical and jerkish? Ask for video? Really disappointing. No, I'm not making it up. If you want to call up the Golf Galaxy at Cascade Station in Portland and ask them, I'm sure they'll remember me.

• Like 1

> @kwhitegocubs said:

> So, I've played golf for over 25 years and about 20 fairly seriously (since high school). But I'd never had an extended session with the fancy computer systems. I have a very... unusual swing (fast, late transition, I'm very large for a woman at 6'2, 250-ish, and I have a neutral baseball grip with the extended thumb on my left hand). I also have a wide stance.

>

> But apparently some of the numbers that came up were very unusual, to the degree various Golf Galaxy staffers were coming around to look at things. My driver clubhead speed was very high (107-111), though with every driver but the Rogue SZ I tried I was hitting 4000-5000 rpm. With the Rogue SZ and an Extra Stiff it was showing 1800-2100 rpm. I may have to bite the bullet and buy one, given the tracker showed it added 30 yards to my drives (to about 295-298) on the simulator. I was told my swing speed was among the fastest they'd seen with a driver, period.

>

> But the apparent weirdest part was my irons. The ones I hit best were Tommy Armour Atomic Max, which was a surprise given how weird they look. My swing speed isn't really absurd with irons (76-81 with a 7 iron). The issue was that, regardless of club, my launch angle was very high (apparently) at 21-23 degrees with a 27 degree ultra-strong 7 iron. It was going about 180 carry and 195 total, but with extremely low spin (2800-3000 rpm consistently). Which may explain the long travel and roll despite the swing speed not being terribly high. They thought it may be broken or having an error, but it was not broken based on other people's results.

>

> With a 9 iron, the launch was between 28 and 37 degrees, apparently also very high, going about 150 yards, but also with spin in the low 3000s. That seems to prove that my sense that I hit genuine knuckleballs with my short-mid irons is correct. They wobble right to left and then back right, or however they want to move. I always wondered why I didn't ever see other people's balls move that way, but thought I could be overthinking it. But no. The ball doesn't spin, it just stops due to the height.

>

> But it is apparently almost impossible to hit the ball that hard and high with that little spin, so I'm perplexed?

>

> Does anyone else have consistently ultra low spin on their irons? What have you done, if anything to correct it? Is it worth worrying about?

The launch monitor used was most likely NOT a Trackman who is a trademark and brand name.

For drivers, Vertical gear effects is the ruler of spin, so depending on where on the face we make impact, the same player , club and swing might see variables of up to 4* on launch and from above 4000 rpms to below 2000, so those spin differences is mostly impact position, not the shaft. Indoor from a mat, spin level drops as a stone, and launch goes up, how much is depending on the mat and the players angle of attack, so high launch low spin from a mat is no surprise.

Conclusion, go a place they know how Golf equipment works, and how to use a launch monitor, this was not such a place....

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

I will not waste any time to analyse these numbers. Nothing make sense, it's just bad reading, bad fitter.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

> @kwhitegocubs said:

> > @JohnnyCashForever said:

> > Female. 6'2''. 111-mph swing speed...among the fastest ever seen at that GG. 300-yard drives. A total of 4 posts. Forgive me, but I need to see a video of this swing.

>

> If I had 100 posts, will it be more to your liking? I've lurked here for 11 years (no, really, look at my account) and I ask a question because I'm getting back into more "serious" golf, and this is the kind of "welcome". If it was a guy would you be so skeptical and jerkish? Ask for video? Really disappointing. No, I'm not making it up. If you want to call up the Golf Galaxy at Cascade Station in Portland and ask them, I'm sure they'll remember me.

Yeah JCF, you REALLY should count to 10 before hitting the post button.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

> @kwhitegocubs said:

> So, I've played golf for over 25 years and about 20 fairly seriously (since high school). But I'd never had an extended session with the fancy computer systems. I have a very... unusual swing (fast, late transition, I'm very large for a woman at 6'2, 250-ish, and I have a neutral baseball grip with the extended thumb on my left hand). I also have a wide stance.

>

> But apparently some of the numbers that came up were very unusual, to the degree various Golf Galaxy staffers were coming around to look at things. My driver clubhead speed was very high (107-111), though with every driver but the Rogue SZ I tried I was hitting 4000-5000 rpm. With the Rogue SZ and an Extra Stiff it was showing 1800-2100 rpm. I may have to bite the bullet and buy one, given the tracker showed it added 30 yards to my drives (to about 295-298) on the simulator. I was told my swing speed was among the fastest they'd seen with a driver, period.

>

> But the apparent weirdest part was my irons. The ones I hit best were Tommy Armour Atomic Max, which was a surprise given how weird they look. My swing speed isn't really absurd with irons (76-81 with a 7 iron). The issue was that, regardless of club, my launch angle was very high (apparently) at 21-23 degrees with a 27 degree ultra-strong 7 iron. It was going about 180 carry and 195 total, but with extremely low spin (2800-3000 rpm consistently). Which may explain the long travel and roll despite the swing speed not being terribly high. They thought it may be broken or having an error, but it was not broken based on other people's results.

>

> With a 9 iron, the launch was between 28 and 37 degrees, apparently also very high, going about 150 yards, but also with spin in the low 3000s. That seems to prove that my sense that I hit genuine knuckleballs with my short-mid irons is correct. They wobble right to left and then back right, or however they want to move. I always wondered why I didn't ever see other people's balls move that way, but thought I could be overthinking it. But no. The ball doesn't spin, it just stops due to the height.

>

> But it is apparently almost impossible to hit the ball that hard and high with that little spin, so I'm perplexed?

>

You will need to find a reputable fitter, with the proper equipment, I would stay away

From big box stores. Once you have his or her recommendations , then decide on

What if any changes you will do. You have not stated what you are looking for,

Cause you mention driver, and irons. So, rather than just spend, spend with

A purpose. Get fully fitted first.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

In defense of poster, Golf Galaxy in Vernon Hills does have a trackman which is used for lessons. I think they still have their foresite launch monitors in the fitting bays there. So at least the Trackman part is correct. Tough to analyze fitting info over the internet, so it's on the poster to provide all of the info in a clear fashion.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Simple way to answer to some of the questions.

Was the Launch Monitor positioned facing you or was it 8-10’ behind the ball, facing the screen?

If it was pretty close to the ball and facing you, it was probably a Foresight GC2. If that’s the case, did they have little reflective dots on the drivers? If they weren’t, then there is no way for that unit to measure club speed. I have also never seen a Golf Galaxy with the added HMT on a GC2 needed to get club data.

I’ve also been at some GG that have had Zelocity launch monitors that are crappy at best.

We’d need to know more about what you were measured by to be able to discuss, but I’d suggest calling another golf shop and ask what they use to fit. Post back and we can explain what to expect and what to ask when there.

I'm going to try a different place and see how the launch monitor measures things, to see if it was just all messed up or what. I'll start a new thread with better (most likely) data now that I understand much more (from this thread and from reading elsewhere) about how these things work. It was probably a Foresight. The SubZero did appear to have reflective dots. But I'll take it all with a grain of salt for the moment!

> @kwhitegocubs said:

> I'm going to try a different place and see how the launch monitor measures things, to see if it was just all messed up or what. I'll start a new thread with better (most likely) data now that I understand much more (from this thread and from reading elsewhere) about how these things work. It was probably a Foresight. The SubZero did appear to have reflective dots. But I'll take it all with a grain of salt for the moment!

Bring your mobile and take a few snap shots of the return numbers, you want be able to remember them all, and also bring your own clubs AND gamer balls so you get a apple to apple compare and dont get fooled by believing. If its only indoor options or only from mats, ASK before you go there what conversion ratio they use for launch and spin numbers between their mats and real turf. If they cant answer, dont go there, they will not be able to make it right. For the driver, impact spot on the face is whats important, dont judge any numbers without knowing where impact was made.

http://blog.trackmangolf.jp/mats-vs-grass-whats-difference/

• Like 2

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Good advice as always from Howard.

If the place you go to does not use trackman or flight scope, then the monitor likely only measures the ball speed, and uses a fixed value for smash factor (ball speed/club head speed) to calculate clubhead speed. There is no direct measurement of clubhead speed in this case

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> Good advice as always from Howard.

> If the place you go to does not use trackman or flight scope, then the monitor likely only measures the ball speed, and uses a fixed value for smash factor (ball speed/club head speed) to calculate clubhead speed. There is no direct measurement of clubhead speed in this case

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Not exactly. The Foresight GC2 with HMT and Gc Quad will both ball and club data. These are often more popular for indoor fitting locations because the minimal ball flight and depth requirements.

> @Ri_Redneck said:

> > @kwhitegocubs said:

> > > @JohnnyCashForever said:

> > > Female. 6'2''. 111-mph swing speed...among the fastest ever seen at that GG. 300-yard drives. A total of 4 posts. Forgive me, but I need to see a video of this swing.

> >

> > If I had 100 posts, will it be more to your liking? I've lurked here for 11 years (no, really, look at my account) and I ask a question because I'm getting back into more "serious" golf, and this is the kind of "welcome". If it was a guy would you be so skeptical and jerkish? Ask for video? Really disappointing. No, I'm not making it up. If you want to call up the Golf Galaxy at Cascade Station in Portland and ask them, I'm sure they'll remember me.

>

> Yeah JCF, you REALLY should count to 10 before hitting the post button.

>

> BT

RiRN, thank you for your input.

OP, I did not intend to offend you. Obviously, you were offended. For that, I apologize.

> @Chunking said:

> Every golf galaxy I’ve been to (3) uses a foresight, not trackman. Are we sure it was a trackman? Different technologies.

>

> That said, do you compress the ball or pick it off the turf? My #s are similar to yours (a few mph slower on the drive, but higher on the irons) and I too have a high spinning drive/ low spinning irons (2900/ 5000 respectively). I’m a picker and seldom take a divot.

>

Golf Galaxy Indianapolis is indoor hitting set up with all Trackman. $20 for 30 minutes. I wish it was gc quad because my numbers were terrible.