Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

DIY Tee Tethers?

hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
edited Aug 25, 2019 5:17am in Golf Style and Accessories #1

i've found some plastic tees for driver i like which are virtually indestructible. however, they land within a 5y-10y radius and i keep losing them. i'd much rather reuse the same tee until it breaks.
has anyone here created a tee tether, and if so, how would you recommend making one?
thanks!

any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

Comments

• cradd10cradd10 Members Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Now I’ve heard it all.

M5 Syngery Proto 75
    17' M2 15° Hzdrus blk 6.5
    X2Hot Pro 18°
    Hogan PTX Tour V 120x
    Vokey SM6 50,55,60
    Edel E-2
  • Tim SherwoodTim Sherwood Members Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭

I tie mine to my left shoe lace. Unless I lose my foot, I know where my tee is at all times.

• TServosTServos Members Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There was another thread on this a while back, I was just as flabbergasted then as I am now.

Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • Double DodgerDouble Dodger Members Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

LOL! I hate buying tees myself.

• bluedotbluedot Members Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago, I was playing with an older gentleman who had created just such an item; he had used 6" of string and some duct tape to connect two tees. He'd put one in the ground with the ball on it, and the other out to the right side away from him. A couple of holes into the round, he saw me looking at his creation, held it up proudly, and said, "It never breaks, and you never lose it!" I just nodded...

Years went by and last year I was playing and found a commercially produced item just like it, except the string was attached thru bored holes in each tee. I can only hope that gentleman that I played with patented his invention and is now filthy rich off the royalties.

That said, the next time I run out of tees will be the first time, so the idea still seems as nuts to me now as it did then.

• xyckinxyckin Singapore/Columbia,SCMembers Posts: 9 ✭✭

I just got a set of teeclaws and they seem like they should work. I haven't taken them out to the range yet but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
    If not, I've always imagined that a rubber range mat tee, tied to a slightly elastic string that's anchored firmly into the ground should work too?

Taylormade M5 (10.5) - Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 (6.5)
    Taylormade M3 (3HL) - Tour AD BB7x
    2i Mizuno MP FliHi (Tour AD Utility Driving Iron X-Stiff)
    3h Mizuno CLK (Fujikura Pro Hybrid X-Stiff)
    4i Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi (C-Taper Lite 115X)
    5i-PW Mizuno JPX900 Forged (C-Taper 130X)
    50 Taylormade Milled Grind
    54 Taylormade Milled Grind
    60 Taylormade Hi-Toe ATV
    Taylormade Spider Black
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bluedot said:
    Years ago, I was playing with an older gentleman who had created just such an item; he had used 6" of string and some duct tape to connect two tees. He'd put one in the ground with the ball on it, and the other out to the right side away from him. A couple of holes into the round, he saw me looking at his creation, held it up proudly, and said, "It never breaks, and you never lose it!" I just nodded...

Years went by and last year I was playing and found a commercially produced item just like it, except the string was attached thru bored holes in each tee. I can only hope that gentleman that I played with patented his invention and is now filthy rich off the royalties.

That said, the next time I run out of tees will be the first time, so the idea still seems as nuts to me now as it did then.

There’s nothing new about this concept. In fact it goes back to the days of when tees were first produced. I would imagine at one point in time, the transition from sand to wooden pegs was an expensive one. From what I have read and seen in old golf photos was a tee tied to a bird’s feather.

Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have found more tees than I can possibly use in my lifetime. For every tee I lose, I probably find 10. I can't fathom using something to prevent losing a tee. This is laughable.

• hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

firstly, thank you for the few helpful replies. might try duct tape + string though i'm borderline keen to bore a hole in the tee.

secondly, we talkin' 'bout practice here.

for the rest of you classy duffers, lemme guess, you:

• regularly hit a large bucket of just driver off of mats with rubber tees at your range and use cheap wood tees on the course.
    • give the local boy $2 bills to roll up and stick in the ground for the pro v1's from the pyramid sitting 4 feet from you. if you stripe it, he keeps the $2.
    • are fortunate enough to play at a public course with a grass range and constantly interrupt your range neighbors and beg forgiveness as you hustle down range to collect your tees..

any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

• TServosTServos Members Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭

@hoselpalooza said:
    firstly, thank you for the few helpful replies. might try duct tape + string though i'm borderline keen to bore a hole in the tee.

• are fortunate enough to play at a public course with a grass range and constantly interrupt your range neighbors and beg forgiveness as you hustle down range to collect your tees

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    This is me....partly. I hit balls 3-4 times a week at a grass range. The place is littered with unbroken tees. I usually go home with 5 or 6 more tees than I arrived with. Day after day, month after month, year after year (I’ve been going here for 11 years....) and I bet I have 7,000 tees. And I never interrupt my fellow practicers, but I will wait and retrieve a tee between their shots.

If I didn’t have such a ready supply of tees I would probably be interested in a tee tether.

Ping
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,920 mod
    edited Aug 26, 2019 2:26am #14

This is what I use in the winter time!

WITSMB - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3

@xyckin said:
    I've always imagined that a rubber range mat tee, tied to a slightly elastic string that's anchored firmly into the ground should work too?

this is a good idea. i've tried a rubber tee anchored with four 3.25" tees but it flew even further down range than a regular tee. string could be the missing component.

@TServos said:

@hoselpalooza said:

• are fortunate enough to play at a public course with a grass range and constantly interrupt your range neighbors and beg forgiveness as you hustle down range to collect your tees

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    This is me....partly. I hit balls 3-4 times a week at a grass range. The place is littered with unbroken tees. I usually go home with 5 or 6 more tees than I arrived with. Day after day, month after month, year after year (I’ve been going here for 11 years....) and I bet I have 7,000 tees. And I never interrupt my fellow practicers, but I will wait and retrieve a tee between their shots.

If I didn’t have such a ready supply of tees I would probably be interested in a tee tether.

yeah, i basically never use new tees for irons/3-wood shots since broken tees work just fine and are in abundance. however, i don't find many pristine 3.25"-4" tees for driver laying around.

• DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

@Buzzkill said:

Seriously? I’ve never seen anything like this...

• BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,920 mod

@DiscoDiner said:

@Buzzkill said:

WITSMB - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3
  • bobmcbobsonbobmcbobson Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

Several years ago I played with a woman who had her wedge tee tied via fishing line to a small stuffed animal. The line was probably about a foot in length, so when she put her tee in the ground she just tossed the stuffy off to the side. When the tee would fly off from her swing it would only travel a short distance because of the weight of the stuffy and it was obviously easy to track. I thought it was both hilarious and ingenious.

• cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few feet of fishing line wrapped around an old divot fixer is what you're looking for.

Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
    Titleist 917F2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
    Srixon Z U85 20*, DG-Pro X100
    TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
    Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well I hate searching for my martini tee's at the range
    one tee will last me the whole season if I don't lose it. Whereas, my long wooden tees would pretty much snap on every drive
    Our group spends more time looking for our Martini tee's during the round than balls, plus guys that drink love them in the morning

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Buzzkill said:

@DiscoDiner said:

@Buzzkill said:

Brilliant. Where'd you find those? I'm hammering in tees in the winter....

• DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

@Buzzkill said:

@DiscoDiner said:

@Buzzkill said:

Wow, that’s wild! What a unique solution to a problem I didn’t know I had. :)

edited Aug 26, 2019 6:24pm #24

@Buzzkill said:

@DiscoDiner said:

@Buzzkill said:

brilliant! what's the story with these?

edit: @gripandrip -- ha! didn't notice your comment until after i quoted the image. great minds.

• nicelifenicelife Members Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

Tie two tees together with string like a tin can telephone. I'm sure everyone will celebrate your invention nad not laugh when you're putting two tees in the ground.

• cardigancardigan Members Posts: 47 ✭✭

@gripandrip said:

@Buzzkill said:

@DiscoDiner said:

@Buzzkill said:

Brilliant. Where'd you find those? I'm hammering in tees in the winter....

Vorcool rubber winter tees. I haven’t tried them.

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Buzzkill said:

@DiscoDiner said:

@Buzzkill said:

Just, WOW!! Some swag right there!

Amazing tees and an amazing photo..

@Buzzkill , thanks again for sharing your solution.

for anyone who's keen to check these out, here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/VORCOOL-Rubber-Winter-Different-Heights/dp/B018VG5ESW

i imagine the frugal-minded could just as easily cut down some plastic water or soda bottles.

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Buzzkill said:

@DiscoDiner said:

@Buzzkill said:

Old guy at my club used to use these all the time, spring, summer, autumn and winter. I can only imagine the devastation if some how he was able to actual lose these.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Big A HGBig A HG Members Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭✭

A long time ago tees weren't mass-produced like they are compared to today's standards, so they had a bit more value than they do now to most people. I believe they used to tie tassels to them just to help them find them after hitting the ball. Something that might be kind of cool is use some fly fishing lures or something nowadays.

This EAL YouTube shows you the tassel tee at about 9:12 in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file