***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

DIY Tee Tethers?

hoselpalooza ·  
hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members  488WRX Points: 177Posts: 488 Greens
Joined:  edited Aug 25, 2019 in Golf Style and Accessories #1

i've found some plastic tees for driver i like which are virtually indestructible. however, they land within a 5y-10y radius and i keep losing them. i'd much rather reuse the same tee until it breaks.
has anyone here created a tee tether, and if so, how would you recommend making one?
thanks!

Posted:

callaway big bertha alpha 815 DBD 8*, 70g diamana d+ x
TEE CB4 13* 3w, 80g diamana a'hina x
mizuno mmc fli-hi 2i 16.5*, c-taper 130g
mizuno mp5 3-p, c-taper 130g
mizuno t7 50/55/60, c-taper 130g

Comments

• cradd10cradd10 Members  1332WRX Points: 164Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees

Wow. Now I’ve heard it all.

Posted:
    TS2   8.5 Tour Green proto 75x  
    M5 3wd Hzdrus blk 6.5
    X2Hot Pro 18°
    PSI C-Taper 125 S+
    Vokey SM6 50,55,60
    Edel E-2
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Tim SherwoodTim Sherwood Members  425WRX Points: 145Handicap: HighPosts: 425 Greens

I tie mine to my left shoe lace. Unless I lose my foot, I know where my tee is at all times.

Posted:
  • TServosTServos Members  516WRX Points: 194Posts: 516 Golden Tee

no

Posted:
    Ping
  • toctoc Members  2916WRX Points: 634Posts: 2,916 Titanium Tees

There was another thread on this a while back, I was just as flabbergasted then as I am now.

Posted:
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • Double DodgerDouble Dodger Members  199WRX Points: 104Posts: 199 Fairways

LOL! I hate buying tees myself.

Posted:
  • bluedotbluedot Members  3993WRX Points: 636Handicap: 7.5Posts: 3,993 Titanium Tees

Years ago, I was playing with an older gentleman who had created just such an item; he had used 6" of string and some duct tape to connect two tees. He'd put one in the ground with the ball on it, and the other out to the right side away from him. A couple of holes into the round, he saw me looking at his creation, held it up proudly, and said, "It never breaks, and you never lose it!" I just nodded...

Years went by and last year I was playing and found a commercially produced item just like it, except the string was attached thru bored holes in each tee. I can only hope that gentleman that I played with patented his invention and is now filthy rich off the royalties.

That said, the next time I run out of tees will be the first time, so the idea still seems as nuts to me now as it did then.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • KhooBotKhooBot Singapore/Columbia,SCMembers  54WRX Points: 36Handicap: 9Posts: 54 Bunkers

I just got a set of teeclaws and they seem like they should work. I haven't taken them out to the range yet but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
    If not, I've always imagined that a rubber range mat tee, tied to a slightly elastic string that's anchored firmly into the ground should work too?

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 (10.5) - Tensei CK Pro White 70 TX
    Mizuno ST190 (15) - ATMOS TS Black 7X
    Taylormade GAPR Lo 3i - Tensei CK Pro White Hybrid 90 TX
    Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi 4-iron (C-Taper Lite 115X)
    Mizuno MP18 MMC 5/6 (C-Taper 130X)
    Mizuno MP18 MB 7/8/9/PW (C-Taper 130X)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 50* SB/ 54* HB
    Taylormade Bigfoot 58*
    Taylormade Spider Black

• ckayckay Members  4716WRX Points: 763Posts: 4,716 Titanium Tees

On -, @bluedot said:

Years ago, I was playing with an older gentleman who had created just such an item; he had used 6" of string and some duct tape to connect two tees. He'd put one in the ground with the ball on it, and the other out to the right side away from him. A couple of holes into the round, he saw me looking at his creation, held it up proudly, and said, "It never breaks, and you never lose it!" I just nodded...

Years went by and last year I was playing and found a commercially produced item just like it, except the string was attached thru bored holes in each tee. I can only hope that gentleman that I played with patented his invention and is now filthy rich off the royalties.

That said, the next time I run out of tees will be the first time, so the idea still seems as nuts to me now as it did then.

There’s nothing new about this concept. In fact it goes back to the days of when tees were first produced. I would imagine at one point in time, the transition from sand to wooden pegs was an expensive one. From what I have read and seen in old golf photos was a tee tied to a bird’s feather.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3657WRX Points: 1,314Handicap: 4Posts: 3,657 Titanium Tees

I have found more tees than I can possibly use in my lifetime. For every tee I lose, I probably find 10. I can't fathom using something to prevent losing a tee. This is laughable.

Posted:
  • hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members  488WRX Points: 177Posts: 488 Greens

firstly, thank you for the few helpful replies. might try duct tape + string though i'm borderline keen to bore a hole in the tee.

secondly, we talkin' 'bout practice here.

for the rest of you classy duffers, lemme guess, you:

• regularly hit a large bucket of just driver off of mats with rubber tees at your range and use cheap wood tees on the course.
    • give the local boy $2 bills to roll up and stick in the ground for the pro v1's from the pyramid sitting 4 feet from you. if you stripe it, he keeps the $2.
    • are fortunate enough to play at a public course with a grass range and constantly interrupt your range neighbors and beg forgiveness as you hustle down range to collect your tees..
    Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @hoselpalooza said:

firstly, thank you for the few helpful replies. might try duct tape + string though i'm borderline keen to bore a hole in the tee.

• are fortunate enough to play at a public course with a grass range and constantly interrupt your range neighbors and beg forgiveness as you hustle down range to collect your tees

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    This is me....partly. I hit balls 3-4 times a week at a grass range. The place is littered with unbroken tees. I usually go home with 5 or 6 more tees than I arrived with. Day after day, month after month, year after year (I’ve been going here for 11 years....) and I bet I have 7,000 tees. And I never interrupt my fellow practicers, but I will wait and retrieve a tee between their shots.

If I didn’t have such a ready supply of tees I would probably be interested in a tee tether.

Posted:
    Ping
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals  6621WRX Points: 595Handicap: 3Posts: 6,621 Marshals

This is what I use in the winter time!

Posted:

Handicap:  3

On -, @xyckin said:

I've always imagined that a rubber range mat tee, tied to a slightly elastic string that's anchored firmly into the ground should work too?

this is a good idea. i've tried a rubber tee anchored with four 3.25" tees but it flew even further down range than a regular tee. string could be the missing component.

Posted:

On -, @TServos said:

On -, @hoselpalooza said:

• are fortunate enough to play at a public course with a grass range and constantly interrupt your range neighbors and beg forgiveness as you hustle down range to collect your tees

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    This is me....partly. I hit balls 3-4 times a week at a grass range. The place is littered with unbroken tees. I usually go home with 5 or 6 more tees than I arrived with. Day after day, month after month, year after year (I’ve been going here for 11 years....) and I bet I have 7,000 tees. And I never interrupt my fellow practicers, but I will wait and retrieve a tee between their shots.

If I didn’t have such a ready supply of tees I would probably be interested in a tee tether.

yeah, i basically never use new tees for irons/3-wood shots since broken tees work just fine and are in abundance. however, i don't find many pristine 3.25"-4" tees for driver laying around.

Posted:

• DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members  144WRX Points: 37Handicap: 6Posts: 144 Fairways

On -, @Buzzkill said:

Seriously? I’ve never seen anything like this...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals  6621WRX Points: 595Handicap: 3Posts: 6,621 Marshals

On -, @DiscoDiner said:

On -, @Buzzkill said:

Posted:

Handicap:  3

• bobmcbobsonbobmcbobson Members  15WRX Points: 43Posts: 15 Bunkers

Several years ago I played with a woman who had her wedge tee tied via fishing line to a small stuffed animal. The line was probably about a foot in length, so when she put her tee in the ground she just tossed the stuffy off to the side. When the tee would fly off from her swing it would only travel a short distance because of the weight of the stuffy and it was obviously easy to track. I thought it was both hilarious and ingenious.

Posted:
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson Members  584WRX Points: 190Handicap: 14Posts: 584 Golden Tee

A few feet of fishing line wrapped around an old divot fixer is what you're looking for.

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 9.5*D, Fujikura Pro XLR8 61X at 44.25"
    Titleist 917F2 16.5*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Taylormade PSI Tour 3 iron, DG Pro X100
    Taylormade RBladez 5i-PW
    Taylormade RSI2 AW 50*
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 64*
    Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14099WRX Points: 2,923Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,099 Titanium Tees

Well I hate searching for my martini tee's at the range
    one tee will last me the whole season if I don't lose it. Whereas, my long wooden tees would pretty much snap on every drive
    Our group spends more time looking for our Martini tee's during the round than balls, plus guys that drink love them in the morning

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

• gripandripgripandrip Members  1271WRX Points: 248Posts: 1,271 Platinum Tees

On -, @Buzzkill said:

On -, @DiscoDiner said:

On -, @Buzzkill said:

Brilliant. Where'd you find those? I'm hammering in tees in the winter....

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members  144WRX Points: 37Handicap: 6Posts: 144 Fairways

On -, @Buzzkill said:

On -, @DiscoDiner said:

On -, @Buzzkill said:

Wow, that’s wild! What a unique solution to a problem I didn’t know I had. :)

Posted:

On -, @Buzzkill said:

On -, @DiscoDiner said:

On -, @Buzzkill said:

brilliant! what's the story with these?

edit:

On -, @gripandrip -- ha! didn't notice your comment until after i quoted the image. great minds.
    Posted:

• nicelifenicelife Members  133WRX Points: 94Posts: 133 Fairways

Tie two tees together with string like a tin can telephone. I'm sure everyone will celebrate your invention nad not laugh when you're putting two tees in the ground.

Posted:
  • cardigancardigan Members  81WRX Points: 37Posts: 81 Fairways

On -, @gripandrip said:

On -, @Buzzkill said:

On -, @DiscoDiner said:

On -, @Buzzkill said:

Brilliant. Where'd you find those? I'm hammering in tees in the winter....

Vorcool rubber winter tees. I haven’t tried them.

Posted:
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers  1534WRX Points: 950Handicap: 14.2Posts: 1,534 Platinum Tees

On -, @Buzzkill said:

On -, @DiscoDiner said:

On -, @Buzzkill said:

Just, WOW!! Some swag right there!

Amazing tees and an amazing photo..

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                   HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0          Tour Velvet std 
    Adams Tightlies 2 16*3 Wood         whatevers stock                 Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0          Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                       DG S300                             Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 54.14F                          DG S400                             Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 58.12D                         DG S400                             Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5   34" loft 6.5                          SS Traxion Pistol GT 1.0 CC
    Titleist PROV1                                 ball
    Titleist Player                                   glove 
    FJ rain glove                                    glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/

Advertisement

On -, @Buzzkill , thanks again for sharing your solution.

for anyone who's keen to check these out, here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/VORCOOL-Rubber-Winter-Different-Heights/dp/B018VG5ESW

i imagine the frugal-minded could just as easily cut down some plastic water or soda bottles.

Posted:

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6360WRX Points: 1,787Handicap: 3Posts: 6,360 Titanium Tees

On -, @Buzzkill said:

On -, @DiscoDiner said:

On -, @Buzzkill said:

Old guy at my club used to use these all the time, spring, summer, autumn and winter. I can only imagine the devastation if some how he was able to actual lose these.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Big A HGBig A HG Members  690WRX Points: 213Posts: 690 Golden Tee

A long time ago tees weren't mass-produced like they are compared to today's standards, so they had a bit more value than they do now to most people. I believe they used to tie tassels to them just to help them find them after hitting the ball. Something that might be kind of cool is use some fly fishing lures or something nowadays.

This EAL YouTube shows you the tassel tee at about 9:12 in.

Posted:

Advertisement
    Posted:
    Ping

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.