Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Trialing golf balls at the range - dumb idea?

Bruiser419Bruiser419 Members Posts: 37 ✭✭

So I'm looking to try out a couple new balls, but I can't really try them on the course since I'm actually trying to play. I thought about trying them at the range, but that seems expensive since you can only hit each ball once and then it's gone forever, so at best you can hit 12-15 and hopefully you hit them well enough to get an idea.
Is this a dumb idea? Does anyone else do this? I'm at a loss to think of any other ways.

Comments

• sshadow2sshadow2 Members Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Go to an indoor golf studio or range. Another option is to go to a golf store like PGATSS or Golf Galaxy (Dick’s) and use their indoor nets.

Basically a place where your balls come back to you and can give you launch monitor info. Anything else is pretty silly.

PING 410 9* Plus Tensei Orange CK 60
    PING 410 14.5* 3W LST Tensei Orange CK 70
    Titleist 818 H1 3H 19* Project X Evenflow Blue 85HY
    Titleist 818 H1 5H 23* Project X Evenflow Blue 85HY
    Callaway Apex 19 6-PW KBS C-Taper Lite
    Cleveland CBX 50* and 55* KBS Hi-REV
    PING Glide 3.0 WS 60* Nippon Z-Z115
    Nike Method Midnight 006

• spartanglfrspartanglfr Members Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭

I think it makes more sense than going to the driving range, hitting them, and then walking out there to retrieve them. Too dangerous!!

• PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it! Members Posts: 870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bruiser419 said:
    So I'm looking to try out a couple new balls, but I can't really try them on the course since I'm actually trying to play. I thought about trying them at the range, but that seems expensive since you can only hit each ball once and then it's gone forever, so at best you can hit 12-15 and hopefully you hit them well enough to get an idea.
    Is this a dumb idea? Does anyone else do this? I'm at a loss to think of any other ways.

Since you asked, yes this is a dumb idea. Is your next round of golf your last on earth? If not, play the new ball for a round, or at least 9 holes. See how you like it. Play the back 9 with another ball. See how you like that one. Don't you want an idea of how the ball plays from the tee to the cup? Enjoy the experience.

Remember:

Don't blow it.
    Keep it simple.
    Count your money.

• JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nah. This is how I made my decisions. Excluded pro v and bridgestones thusly: Bought a dozen v1, v1x, b, bx, rx... you get the picture... hit them all out into the range, couple sleeves of TP5 while I was at it ... hit em all out into the range... and then I was out of money. Plunked down $5 for the bucket of range balls and now that's all I can afford. Ymmv.

Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like a dumb idea. Surely you can hit a cheap course at Twilight and use your time out on the course to try balls? This most likely your cheapest option that going to give the best feedback.

Or you should be able to find an empty field to go hit if you can't make twilight work.

As I am at a club, so heading out at twilight is the perfect time to tinker with new things, but even before I joined a club I had not trouble finding a cheap course that you could get out on for next to nothing 1hour before dark and tinker.

• soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is it April 1 somewhere?

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 8, 2019 12:01pm #8

Yes, dumb. Although your fellow golfers will thank you when they get a few nice surprises on their next range bucket. Consider it paying it forward, lol. Your best bet is find a course or golf shop that sells sleeves of balls. It ends up being about a 1-3 dollars more per dozen. But, it's a good way of sampling balls. Also, Golf Galaxy always has a fish bowl with single balls. Finally go to your local high school during off hours and hit balls in a football or soccer field.

• xkilgorextroutxxkilgorextroutx Members Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

Twilight rounds are your friend. Seriously. If finding a new ball that works for your game is important, then it's worth plunking down the $15-$20 at a muni or a par 3 to go hit 3-4 balls from the same spot repeatedly.

• Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You don't have plain old field anywhere near you?

• Bruiser419Bruiser419 Members Posts: 37 ✭✭

@Nard_S said:

Nope, they're all full of corn and soybeans right now.

and I appreciate all the comments about Twilight golf. However with two kids that are in a lot of sports, it doesn't leave a lot of time to go golfing. And when I do golf I only golf 9 holes at a time. I usually try to give a ball at least three holes.

• thejuicethejuice AtlantaMembers Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bruiser419 said:
    and I appreciate all the comments about Twilight golf. However with two kids that are in a lot of sports, it doesn't leave a lot of time to go golfing. And when I do golf I only golf 9 holes at a time. I usually try to give a ball at least three holes.

You can’t get in 9 holes while your kids are at practice?

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
    TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
    TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
    Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
    Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
    TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

@thejuice said:

@Bruiser419 said:

You can’t get in 9 holes while your kids are at practice?

Nope, no golf courses close enough.

• FadeFade Members Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I still don't understand what the objection is to trying out balls at the course. Seems ideal, this will test not just full shots, but short-game, and putting as well: All important, in my mind.

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Fade said:
    I still don't understand what the objection is to trying out balls at the course. Seems ideal, this will test not just full shots, but short-game, and putting as well: All important, in my mind.

I’m struggling with the comment “since I’m actually trying to play”

Not sure how using a new ball each round or every couple holes prevents that

@GoGoErky said:

@Fade said:

I'm still trying to shoot a good score, so if the ball isn't good for me, I'm likely to shoot a poor score, which I'm trying to avoid if possible.

• sailfishchrissailfishchris Long Island NYMembers, ClubWRX Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2019 3:54am #18

Driving range near me, one of the pro's has a trackman and a netting that comes out. You can hit and test balls for an hour.....figure out what performes for you.

Post edited by sailfishchris on
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Synergy Proto 65TX
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
    Vokey SM5 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
    Toulon Memphis
    ProV1X / TP5X
    Jones Utility Trouper
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bruiser419 said:

@Nard_S said:

Nope, they're all full of corn and soybeans right now.

Where there's farms, there's schools. Schools have fields, no? I can go to a local middle school in my congested town and have 175 x 175 yards of open space to duff around.

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bruiser419 said:

@GoGoErky said:

@Fade said:

I'm still trying to shoot a good score, so if the ball isn't good for me, I'm likely to shoot a poor score, which I'm trying to avoid if possible.

It’s ok to not keep score when playing. It’s not going to be the end of the world to not keep a score for a few rounds.

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

All that matters is how a golf ball works for your game when you're actually playing. Hitting balls at a driving range, what exactly would you be looking for? You won't know how far they flew or how they reacted when they hit the green. You'll literally just confirm that yes, they actually fly through the air like a normal golf ball. I think you can take that for granted with any modern, name-brand ball. The rest you have to figure out on the course anyway so why throw away a box of balls on the driving range.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file