GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

What grinds my gears....

monkeyboy ·  
monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers  870WRX Points: 266Handicap: 8.6Posts: 870 Golden Tee

I hate it when others in your group only carry 1 ball and 1 tee.

Inevitably....

They forget to reload their 1 tee stockpile in their pocket...walk back to cart-bag to fish around for another tee.

They shoot one OB from the tee box...hang their head low while murmuring, walk back to cart-bag to fish around for another ball. Or, "do you have a ball I can borrow"

• also happens, seemingly when it is cart path only and they are 30 yards from their cart - hit an approach OB....death march back to the cart....redo

What's so hard about always having 2 balls in your pocket and a handful of tees - all of the time? always be prepared to get through a hole, then reload when you get back to your cart.

Posted:
Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Cobra F9 Aldila NV Green 75 S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
Ball - Snell MTB-x
Pure Midsized Grips

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers  870WRX Points: 266Handicap: 8.6Posts: 870 Golden Tee

Sorry princess...I like to keep pace of play moving.

Posted:
    Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (14.5) - Cobra F9 Aldila NV Green 75 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
    Pure Midsized Grips
  • klebs01klebs01 Members  591WRX Points: 227Handicap: 2.5Posts: 591 Golden Tee

I don’t understand how anyone could play well with an extra ball in their pocket. Just like using a water ball. It’s going to be bad if you are planning for failure.

Posted:
  • sui generissui generis Members  4505WRX Points: 808Posts: 4,505 Titanium Tees

The ball in my back pocket has a higher number (or a different personal identifying mark) than my ball in play. Since I understand R18.3, I'm prepared.

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

Not sure how that has anything to do with my comment that planning to fail at executing a shot is a bad psychological strategy.

Posted:
  • LukeDonaldsTigerLukeDonaldsTiger Members  439WRX Points: 195Handicap: 19Posts: 439 Greens

My home course has an elevated tee box with a long staircase leading up to it. I always bring a 2nd ball and have 4-5 tees in my pocket.

Other than that, I feel the same- having another ball in your pocket is bad karma.

Also, I suggest walking, for people with the condition and courses who allow this. Bag is always close, and you play much better. Stupid carts, don’t like them at all 😂

Posted:

WITB 2020:

Driver: Mizuno JPX 900 @10.5°

4W: Mizuno JPX 850 @16°

(2i: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi @16.5°)

3H: Srixon H45 Hybrid @19°

3i: Mizuno MP-H5 @21°

4i-6i: Mizuno MP-15

7i-PW: Mizuno MP-33

Wedges: Mizuno T20 wedges (56°/60°)

Putter: Mizuno MP-T105

Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour

Advertisement
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5413WRX Points: 619Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,413 Titanium Tees

I NEVER carry an extra ball in my pocket. Terrible for your mental game - are you planning on losing your first ball? I rarely lose a ball anyway and tend to switch them for wear more than anything. I typically on carry three balls in my golf bag.

As for tee's I typically only have one or two long tees in my pocket and one short tee. The ones I use seem to never break and I might only have 3 or 4 tees in bag let alone my pocket.

For the record I also do not clip a towel to my belt.😉

Posted:
    Post edited by 2bGood on
  • GowerND11GowerND11 Members  15WRX Points: 47Posts: 15 Bunkers

I never really liked playing with a ball in my pocket. Then I read Zen Golf and it reaffirmed my beliefs. It's a fallback option that allows you to be ok with hitting a bad shot. I'm a 14 HCP, so I still hit plenty of bad shots, but I will only have the ball in play on my person. If there is a ball in my pocket, it's in the back of my mind that I have two chances to get it right.

Posted:
  • AugsterAugster Members  4733WRX Points: 611Posts: 4,733 Titanium Tees

What is this “multiple tees” you speak of? Switch to a martini and always carry ONE tee. I’ve played my current martini for well over 100 rounds so far and I expect many more rounds out of it.

Posted:
  • LukeDonaldsTigerLukeDonaldsTiger Members  439WRX Points: 195Handicap: 19Posts: 439 Greens

Three balls in your bag?! That’s very brave or you’re just extremely confident in your swing. I’m not losing nearly as much balls anymore, but there’s days and swings when it still happens. I carry around ten balls in my bag and need mostly 1-3 for 18 holes.

Posted:

WITB 2020:

I like the plastic FlyTees with the markers for my driver, so I’m teeing them up exactly at the same height every time. But I prefer wooden tees for irons/woods/hybrids for some reason.

Posted:

WITB 2020:

Advertisement
  • denkeadenkea Members  462WRX Points: 117Handicap: 10.1Posts: 462 Greens

I once played with a fellow that put his tee in the air hole of the grip on his driver. Pull the driver the tee is there. Hit his drive and put the tee back before putting the driver back in the bag.

Posted:
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5413WRX Points: 619Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,413 Titanium Tees

Not really that brave. I might carry more balls if I am not at my home club. But at my home club it is pretty rare I lose a ball, let alone three (and the one in ,y pocket). If I did have trouble on the front I could grab some balls at the turn out of my locker, and if I was really stuck I guess I could borrow a ball as I know everyone pretty well.

I am also not that exact about 3 balls in bags, sometimes there is more and some time even less. A few weeks a gap I discovered I only had one ball in my bag, but it all worked out.

Posted:
  • david.c.wdavid.c.w Members  96WRX Points: 74Handicap: 6.4Posts: 96 Fairways

Agree with @Hawkeye77, dumb rant that no one agrees with, and you resort to name-calling.

Troll....

Posted:
  • HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members  2007WRX Points: 279Handicap: 7Posts: 2,007 Platinum Tees

It usually annoys me when they inevitably knock one OB and do the death march back to the bag. They are normally even more aggravated and nervous on their next shot with the added stress of slowing up the group by having to go back to the bag. Ever have the player go back twice? I have on more than one occasion. Just my experience. If I play with them often enough I will definitely try to break them of the habit if it keeps happening. If they have other habits that are slow then it definitely is going to get on my nerves especially if they are the group directly in front of me.

If I have played often with the player and know they rarely knock one OB and are in general a fast player then it probably won't annoy me..

@GowerND11 said: 'It's a fallback option that allows you to be ok with hitting a bad shot.'

I have yet to meet a serious golfer where they felt OK with hitting a ball OB or a bad enough shot to lose a ball. The penalty is more than sufficient as a deterrent. The 14 index that rarely knocks one OB is rare depending on the course at hand.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13914WRX Points: 1,481Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,914 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • oikos1oikos1 Members  2898WRX Points: 671Posts: 2,898 Titanium Tees

Was taught from day one to throw an extra ball in my left pocket. Never think about it mentally, as if I might have to use it. Just a pace of play courtesy.

I don't play on tour either so there's that.

Posted:

Not mentioned yet is this great concern about pace of play, is unless you are the last guy in your group to hit, typically you can get your 'provisional' ball while others hit their tee shot. It should not really be too big of deal unless your bag is really far away.

Posted:
  • sui generissui generis Members  4505WRX Points: 808Posts: 4,505 Titanium Tees

I keep my back pocket really, really close. 😉

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

I think that's the point you're missing. Either keep your bag close, which you seem to do, or put one in your pocket. Pace of play is definitely an issue with four players in a group moving from cart to tee box, cart to fairway, regularly to reload.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members  2007WRX Points: 279Handicap: 7Posts: 2,007 Platinum Tees

The player WILL sometimes be the the last player in the group to hit on the tee and I have yet to meet the player who is kind enough to only hit one OB from the tee box. It happens at other times as well.

If the player does it without me or the rest of the group noticing much then yeah it's probably not going to bother anyone. It has happened enough in my experience where it is extremely noticeable whether on the tee box or the rest of the course.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21640WRX Points: 5,633Posts: 21,640 ClubWRX

I’m surprised how many folks here have a ball in their pocket while playing (I don’t care, just surprised).

Still, the notion that this is some serious pace of play issue on the rare occasions it happens as described in the nonsense that started this thread is just an excuse for starting one of “those” threads.

Can’t recall someone having to go back to their ball at any great or inconvenient distance anywhere I’ve played for years. Just doesn’t happen that often and someone hits it OB I’m giving them a little space - jeez, a couple of minutes at the most if the bag or cart isn’t right there (assuming other folks aren’t hitting their first balls while someone goes back to the bag).

And on the rare occasions it happens to others I’m sure they managed this or that during the round that cost just as much “valuable” time in one or a few tiny little moments of indecision, tipping the cart server or getting that line on the ball set just right.

My balls are in my bag. ;-)

Posted:
    Post edited by Hawkeye77 on
  • trileriantrilerian Members  611WRX Points: 147Handicap: 13.1Posts: 611 Golden Tee

I always carry an extra ball in my left front pocket. Started doing that a long time ago to save time on the ob shot. Extra ball in left front pocket and pitch fix in the right front pocket. I don’t break tees all that often, so I don’t worry about carrying extras.

All that said, I play by myself a lot and when playing by myself I’ll hit multiple shots sometimes so it’s nice to have the extra ball.

Posted:
  • rogolfrogolf Members  4420WRX Points: 633Posts: 4,420 Titanium Tees

Certainly respect the lessons that your father taught you! Too many haven't had such a similar, good experience.

Posted:

Advertisement

How may OB shots do you guys hit?!?!?!?!?

Also, I think we need a pole to track who plays core golf courses and who plays housing development courses with OB on both sides of every hole. This probably impacts a lot of the issues with pace of play and the disparity between people who play in 3 hours and those that play in 5.

Posted:
  • BigarchBigarch Herrin, ILMembers  668WRX Points: 250Handicap: 5.4Posts: 668 Golden Tee

Excellent response. This is the way I was taught to play the game and I think it shows respect to the game and other players. I always have an extra ball with a different number in my left front pocket along with a half dozen or so extra tees.

I'll also throw one other variable in the mix...the type of course you are playing. My home course has many native areas that until the most recent rules revisions were never marked or played as red staked hazards. You could hit 2-3 shots a round that weren't offline by much, but had the potential to be lost balls. It was really rare to play an entire round with a foursome without someone having to hit a provisional ball. There was nothing worse than playing with someone who hit a few of those a round and having to wait while you watch them trudge back to the cart for another ball to be played as a provisional. These areas are now played as penalty areas and that has helped with less provisionals.

And I've also seen this come into play when players are playing a course that is unfamiliar to them because they don't play it much. I would much rather the player have an extra ball ready to play a provisional after hitting one offline into an area where they might lose it. It breaks everyone's rhythm to wait on a golfer to make the "walk of shame" back to the tee or to where their last shot was played from. So, I've always considered having the extra ball in my pocket a simple matter of respect for others rather than a potential bad karma moment for myself. I would hope that my mental game is strong enough to overcome that.

Posted:
    • Driver - Cobra King F9 UST Helium 50size]
    • Fairway - Taylormade M4 16HL* Fujikura Atmos Red
    • Hybrid - Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Dynamic Gold R300
    • 4-PW- Callaway Epic 4-PW Project X LV 5.5 Shafts +1"
    • Wedges - 50, 54, 58 Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Apollo MatchFlex +1"
    • Putter - Cleveland Classic Huntington Beach #10 - 35"
    • Grips - Lamkin Sonar Midsize
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21640WRX Points: 5,633Posts: 21,640 ClubWRX

Carry as many balls in your pocket as you wish but seriously, ball in pocket as some dividing line between those who respect the game and those who don't? Going too far, IMO.

I did find a take from the other direction, kind of, I'm sharing just because I found myself staring at Alfred Hitchcock.

Posted:

Advertisement

Interesting. The thought never crossed my mind that my opponents might think I'm cheating because I carry an extra ball. Danggit, I thought golf was supposed to be a gentleman's game where the presumption is your opponent plays the game with honor and integrity. I suppose I should start declaring the extra ball on the first tee, except that it will now probably get in my head and I'll duck hook one O.B. right off the bat.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.