I CANT CHIP!!!!!!!! Please help with basics

I used to dread chipping. Way too many skulls over the green or stupid little duffs that went nowhere, then I read Rob Bernard's COG golf book and followed his chipping tips and it changed everything!

I now look forward to chipping.

Locking wrists and doing a pendulum swing following a clock face: 7 to 5 for shorter chips and 9 to 3 for longer ones.

Rather than trying to adjust your swing speed based on the distance he recommends hitting each of those swings with each of the irons in your back and noting down the carry and total distance you get from each.

Then it's just a simple matter of grabbing the right club for the distance you need - no need to adjust the strength of your swing, greatly reducing the chance of duffed / skulled shots.

It's worked for me :)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to dread chipping. Way too many skulls over the green or stupid little duffs that went nowhere, then I read Rob Bernard's COG golf book and followed his chipping tips and it changed everything!

I now look forward to chipping.

Locking wrists and doing a pendulum swing following a clock face: 7 to 5 for shorter chips and 9 to 3 for longer ones.

Rather than trying to adjust your swing speed based on the distance he recommends hitting each of those swings with each of the irons in your back and noting down the carry and total distance you get from each.

Then it's just a simple matter of grabbing the right club for the distance you need - no need to adjust the strength of your swing, greatly reducing the chance of duffed / skulled shots.

It's worked for me :)

This works from the fringe or a propped up lie in the rough. But if it's imbedded it won't work. Only way to get out of rough is by generating velocity by hinging your wrists.

I recommend 7/8/9 iron chipping with locked wrists only from fringe and great lies. But if you need to get it up and out of rough, you need high loft explosion shots.

Hinge and hold with a gap, 56* or 60* will solve all chipping woes IMO.

A gap will give you enough roll with a hinge and hold

Hey, I know what you are feeling. I'm a single digit player purely on then back of my driving and iron play. If I miss the green, I pray for a bunker and I have been struggling for nearly 15 years - the frustration and anxiety were often just too much to face and I would give the game up for extended breaks to work up the confidence to go again.

But there is a hope and I am getting real close to fixing it.

This is what worked for me..

a. Start with an 8 iron and practice away from a green. Really try and get the feel of hands in front of the ball and the club going back and through lifting the ball 1-2 feet into the air. Forget distance just clip the ball and allow it to land softly. 4 balls at a time is now enough for this and you need 15-20.

b. Progress to the green and pick a distance 15 feet or so away. Forget the result, just the same mechanics. I often do this with the right hand only just focusing on control and remembering to breath slowly with light pressure.

c. Bring in a gap wedge (mine is 52) and really focus on the same technique. Slow, deliberate and I like to start at real close distances of 8-10 feet. With the wedges, you need to work the bounce so really try to feel this - right hand only is great for this too. I like to really try to feel the lag to get this lifting nicely.

d. Gradually bring in the longer distances and then the loftier wedges. As these will require more effort, your swing will get longer and with more wrist hinge. This is ok but feel the bounce and tempo.

If everything goes to plan, you should start to regain your confidence. Really good idea to film yourself and what is happening with your stroke.

Good luck, and let us know how you progress.

Cheers,

To add to the chorus of "tips" here I can say that for chipping, I can only deal with one quick thought, or else feel is gone. And pre-shot laser focus on a conservative landing spot to allow roll-out, forget about the flagstick. Too many people I play with shoot at the flagstick and I think their body gets crossed up because their body knows instinctively it's too much juice for the desired result and they decel as a result.

The method I learned from Dan of keeping the clubhead as low to the ground as possible for as long as possible works for me (a mental thought is to keeping the thumbs pointing to the ground all the way through the shot to the finish). This works well for me and it's the only "mechanical" thing I tell my kids to do. This works for chips, bunker shots, and longer pitches too.

The easiest way for me to chip is to make the stroke exactly like a putt No extra motion from hips or lower body This works well when just off the green When it gets very nervy is about 15 yards and longer start wanting to put more "hit" for longer distance and sculling becomes a possiblity

Best way for me to avoid sculling is to ground the club and regrip and forward press and still maintain an arm stroke and NOT let lower body take over.

With anything near to the hole I am consistently disappointed that not one person I play with relies on any form of visualisation. I'm a big believer in everything Bob Rotella says when it comes to chipping and putting. It's just like free throws in Basketball. You don't think about form, you think about where the basket / hole is - and your body will instinctly do the rest.

I know having good form is important, but visualising the distance to the hole after lining up is equally key. Practice swings whilst looking at the hole will teach your body the length of swing.

As for technique, sticking your weight almost fully on your left foot with smaller chips with your feet close together and lightly brushing the grass after the ball is hard to beat.

VISUALISE THE HOLE!

There is only one guy at my old club who uses the "putting" method,,,,,,, and he's terrible at it. He's about a 10 handicap. About 1/3 of the tie he blades the chip, 1/3 chunks it and the other 1/3 hits it decently. I've tried it. I hate it.

Little to no forward shaft lean (the putting method) and the ball position right around the middle of the stance tends to encourage, or at the very least fails to discourage, a flip at the bottom; about the biggest shot killer there is - from just about anywhere.

While one can get away with less than perfect contact while chipping, to become an excellent chipper, excellent contact is required.

K.I.S.S. Weight forward, ball back and considerable shaft lean equals better contact, more often. Use your arms or your shoulders; however you putt is a good way to chip. Whether you hinge (and hold) or not, once you start forward, never let the club head "close the gap" between it and your hands. i.e. keep your wrists from rotating at all.

Your wrists stay firm through the hit with the same relative position to the club head. If the club head begins to "catch up" as you come forward your wrists are getting too involved

I used to be an "arms" chipper and just so-so. i.e. inconsistent. About 2 years ago began concentrating on rotating the shoulders, just like a putt. Much better and more consistent contact that way. Practicing more helped as well. :rolleyes:

Just for laughs, try an experiment I've tried. With a SW, play the ball back behind your back foot - maybe as much as 8 inches. A LOT of shaft lean (obviously). Chip the ball from there. With the SW it flies about like a 7 iron, just with a bit more spin. Virtually impossible to chunk and, dropping the club head on the back of the ball, very hard to blade as well.

I make great contact with that virtually all the time. Biggest problem is aiming the club face. Haven't had the nerve to try it on the course yet but it works very well on the practice green,,,,,,,, :lol:

Good luck OP. You were a low single digit so I doubt you were a poor chipper. It'll come back to you. (cool)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

The chipping/short game is the area of the game where we have so many options and can get very creative, so I can't see 'one'method that will handle all the different types of shots. I have bumped 4i into a hill. I will use 7 or 8i all the time if I have a good lie and plenty of green to work with. A short sided shot from greenside rough requires a totally different swing. Or a floater from 30 yds out in the fairway. Or a punch PW from the same situation. I pretty much stay away from body parts and just think how do I want the club to come into the ball to make the shot I am picturing. During my PSR I try to capture how that swing feels, and then just try to reproduce it for real. Feel player I guess

• 2 months later...

I am struggling so bad around the greens its embarrassing.

Hinge and hold, use the bounce, flop, .... I dont know what method to use.

Can somebody please explain the basics for me. The Simplest method possible.

Im also flubbing those 40-60 yard shots as well.

Worst part is I was a scratch golfer years ago now hover around 5 or 6 but almost refuse to play now....

Main question is at what distance do you good chippers go from no hinge putting motion to a hinge and hold kinda swing.

NW76, what loft wedge/wedges are you consistently using for these chips around the greens?

either 54 or 60. I can use a PW but want to learn how to chip before I 'cheat' lol.

ok, well let me give you a strong opinion.... using PW ain't cheating. in fact coming out of the bag with 9, 8, and 7 as well is gonna make you a better chipper. and if you haven't "re"mastered those first, you're gonna struggle with the 54 & 60.

This ^^^^^

If you are having a chipping/pitching problem, you need to relearn the shot. It is FAR easier to learn with an 8 or a 7 iron in your hand then a lofted wedge. Hit 100 chips with an 8 iron. Note how easy it is to get the ball up, how easy the swing is and how easy it is to make great contact with the lower lofted club. With each 100 you can go to the next lofted club and start over. This is by far the fastest and easiest way to become or regain your chipping/pitching.

Again...as I always say.....you have to keep golf stupid. Too much thought causes tension, tension causes a bad swing, which causes a bad result. Don't over think it. Swing back short and slow and let the club head do all the work. I almost feel as though the clubhead is just dropping into the back of the ball. Nothing forced. This is very easy with the 8 and 7 iron which is why I can recommend that that is where you should start. When you start practicing you should be 1 to 2 feet onto the fringe and aiming at a hole 10-12 feet away. Then move up in distance to the hole and further from the green in a progression.

When I go the chipping green I always start practice with a 7 or 8 iron to a close flag and move up in loft until I am hitting 30-40 yard shots with a 60 or a 64* wedge.

Looking for new ways to get over the involuntary flinches while chipping - has anyone tried chipping while looking at the landing area - not the ball?

My friend, "flinch" sounds a lot like the "yips". :fie:

Search the site for "yips" - maybe you'll find a cure (it's a terrible "disease").

Titleist Pro V1X

There is only one guy at my old club who uses the "putting" method,,,,,,, and he's terrible at it. He's about a 10 handicap. About 1/3 of the tie he blades the chip, 1/3 chunks it and the other 1/3 hits it decently. I've tried it. I hate it.

Mr 58 seems to get by with it:

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

Mr 58 seems to get by with it:

Looking back at my quoted text I could have phrased that better.

I've seen that video. What *I* was referring to above was for guys who hold their hands about even with the ball during their putting motion,,,,, as my buddy did. And therefore does that same thing while chipping. Keeping his hands about even with the ball he would use the putting motion and often blade the ball or hit behind it. Almost certainly lets his hands take over before the strike.

While Furyk does indeed use a putting type motion, in that he starts with his hands in front of the ball, as in a forward press for putting, he keeps that relationship between the hands and club head through the strike. I've taken to doing that as well and it's been very successful for me. I used to do similar things but used more of an arm swing rather than using the shoulders - using the shoulders has made all the difference.

THAT BTW, IMO, is the key to chipping successfully. To never let the club head "gain" on the hands; at least until the ball is struck (and even holding the position afterwards).

Sorry for any confusion.

Titleist Pro V1X

little extra weight on the front foot, ease up on the grip pressure with the right hand, keep your head down.

3 things that cycle through my head prior to a chip/pitch.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I have foam balls that I use to chip with on my rather thin carpet in my living room. If you can learn to make consistent contact on a really unforgiving lie then most stuff at an actual golf course isn't too bad. Finding where the actual bottom of your swing arc is absolutely critical. So many people think of it as a place in relationship to their feet when it's actually just the place directly below your left armpit ( i.e. Where the club is actually attached through your left arm). I could have a really narrow stance and the ball will appear to be middle of stance or a reallly wide stance and the ball will appear to be very far forward when in reality both positions are directly under my left armpit. Having the ball behind that position is going to force you to be steep and having it in front of that position is going to force you to do some sort of of lift up compensation to make contact. Find the actual bottom of your swing, use a small amount of wrist c0ck going back,and always accelerate your hand/hands to a specific target and you should have a lot of success.

I got a lot out of watching Phil Mickelsons two dvd set, Secrets of the Short Game. Both parts are available on YouTube free now.

There are sections on putting, chipping, and wedge play.

Dan

Phil has worked with Dave Pelz for years. Pelz stuff is very simple and easy to execute. That is the only place I would go.

Most short game problems I see is from long backswing and a decel going into the ball. Full shots you take it back and fire. but short game is a feel game...When I was a +3 and practising alot I would hit 3 irons to the 50 yd flags, 100yd flags it tought feel. Like Trevino said dont be scared of the golf that can hit his 5 iron 200 be scared of the guy that can hit 50

• 5 months later...

Here's someone who also got it to +1 Handicap with a crappy short game which has gotten worse over the years. My practice is as good as Seve's..get to the course and i am Charles Barkley on the littlest chip..yipf()ck.

I have recently looked into ways to resolve this issue permanently and here 's where i am at :

Breathing : Breath in, then out gently through the shot

Humming evenly

Eyes closed.

Now anything is better than yipping a chip.. so above works. Eyes closed is remarkable.

Above all :

Get a good grip that eliminates the swing wreckers in both hands : Thumb/forefinger. These create their own swing centers that are horrible for the golf swing in general. You should feel like you get a grip where an arm swing and some elbow rotation is the ONLY way to move the club.

Above all really weaken the grip...like left arm rotated/grip rotated under the shaft and the right hand weakened a lot. This stops any flipping of the wrist and the shaft can work correctly through.

Narrow stance. Very narrow stance. weight on the balls of feet.

Now, these work NO DOUBT!!! but practice like mad with mental challenges. Take your time...it took years to get where you are...there is no magic cure. This is more of a note to me lol

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Go to a pro. Book a 30 minute lesson. Tell him the kind of shots/lies you are struggling with. Write down everything he says and the "feel" or swing thoughts that worked in the session.

Practice these things. Arrive to a course 30 minutes before your round and practice these things at the course you are playing so the feel is fresh in your mind when you play the course.

Slow everything down when you are out playing the course, not pace of play, but your thoughts. Focus on the routine you established in practice: look at the shape/contour/slope of the green, visualize the spot you want the ball to land and where it will roll, take a few practice swings until you get a good interaction with the turf, make the shot and commit to swinging through.

I am the biggest hacker on this forum and a 30 minute session with a pro and the steps above helped. Watching videos, reading advice etc. made a marginal difference in comparison. My $.02.

I've found this to be pretty simple and handy.

Interesting

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1