Sunglasses - do you use them on the course ?

I don’t wear sunglasses but after reading all of this I guess I should. I have an eye dr. Appt next week. The problem I had in the past thinking about getting sunglasses is the bifocal prescription. One eye is much worse and most of the golf sunglasses manufacturers didn’t seem able to accept my prescription. If I took my glasses off in general while putting as some people do, the green would look like a green piece of paper. When I putt I look through the distance part of my bifocals. Any suggestions?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to start wearing them. I take them off/on during the round, but I really need to just break down & wear them constantly. The PeakVision’s do “peak” my interest due to their claims of eliminating depth perception changes. The greens I’ve been able to handle, but me wearing sunglasses during swings has led to not so solid contact. I’m going to checkout the Oakley Prism line then go from there.

Why is this so hard...

I have to start wearing them. I take them off/on during the round, but I really need to just break down & wear them constantly. The PeakVision's do "peak" my interest due to their claims of eliminating depth perception changes. The greens I've been able to handle, but me wearing sunglasses during swings has led to not so solid contact. I'm going to checkout the Oakley Prism line then go from there.

Why is this so hard...

Taking them off and on during the round is why people have problems. Just leave them on and your eyes will adapt very quickly.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I have to start wearing them. I take them off/on during the round, but I really need to just break down & wear them constantly. The PeakVision's do "peak" my interest due to their claims of eliminating depth perception changes. The greens I've been able to handle, but me wearing sunglasses during swings has led to not so solid contact. I'm going to checkout the Oakley Prism line then go from there.

Why is this so hard...

Taking them off and on during the round is why people have problems. Just leave them on and your eyes will adapt very quickly.

I think I’m going to work in some range sessions while wearing them too. Some of it might be in my head, not gonna lie...

Another note about sunglasses on the course... For me I have a preference for a contrast enhancing lense, such as brown vs neutral gray. Sometimes neutral gray is just a bit too dark for me.

Another thing, I dropped my good Smith Optics when I was under a tree and it hit the dirt, roots and stones. Fortunately the lenses didn't get damaged. From now on I'm going to stick with something less expensive like Sundog or Maxx on the course so I won't cry if I damage or lose them.

I have never been able to be comfortable with prescription glasses while attempting to hit a shot. They distort the lay of the land. I do wear non script Oakly Field sunglasses, except when hitting the ball. I flip them up while hitting, then back down when not.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I have never been able to be comfortable with prescription glasses while attempting to hit a shot. They distort the lay of the land. I do wear non script Oakly Field sunglasses, except when hitting the ball. I flip them up while hitting, then back down when not.

Have you ever thought of it that the view with the prescription glasses is the correct view and the view you have without them, is distorted?

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Another note about sunglasses on the course... For me I have a preference for a contrast enhancing lense, such as brown vs neutral gray. Sometimes neutral gray is just a bit too dark for me.

Another thing, I dropped my good Smith Optics when I was under a tree and it hit the dirt, roots and stones. Fortunately the lenses didn't get damaged. From now on I'm going to stick with something less expensive like Sundog or Maxx on the course so I won't cry if I damage or lose them.

That's like saying I have this great Ping driver, but I'm afraid I might scratch it so I'm going to hit this one I bought for $20 at Walmart.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Maui Jims off the course. Oakley with Prizm Golf lenses on the course. The first time that I work the Oakleys on the course, I was really surprised at how well I saw things. When a friend tried them on, he commented that everything looked "brighter", which is not at all what he expected from a pair of sunglasses.

I prefer a darker tint than the Prizm golf lenses when I'm off the course.

That's like saying I have this great Ping driver, but I'm afraid I might scratch it so I'm going to hit this one I bought for $20 at Walmart.

Not really a valid comparison. My Smith optics are tech lite, Photochromic, polarized glass lenses ($200). While great all around and really exceptional for water and snow overkill for golf. Whereas there are some really great less expensive options(<$50) with good optics and UV protection that are perfect for the golf course. I leave them in a case clipped to my bag so I never forget them.

Have you ever thought of it that the view with the prescription glasses is the correct view and the view you have without them, is distorted?

Actually, no. It's too distinct to consider. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I know what my eyes see.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

I can't get a hat and sunglasses to fit on my head correctly at the same time so I just wear a hat.

Check out the Oakley Targetlines. They are designed to fit well with a hat.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

I wear some Costas that I got at the eye doctor. If you have vision plan with your insurance you can often get sunglasses instead of regular glasses or contacts. I have gotten three pair of regular costas by using my "free" pair of glasses through insurance. Regular sunglasses, not prescription as I wear contacts exclusively.

Green mirror lenses were recommended to me by Costa for golf applications.

I don't mind wearing them the entire round when playing. The exception I have run into is marathon range work in the heat where I sweat. Sweat drips onto the inside of the lenses and you can't see. Only time they are a problem for me.

I bought a cheap pair of Tifosi's just for golf... not polarized just a basic pair of glasses.... My kids have managed to destroy any good pair of Oakleys or Ray Bans I have ever had. These cheap ones do not have a scratch on them.... I just needed something to keep me from squinting, somehow doing that all day fatigues me... these Tifosi's have been great for the course when I need them.... One day, I will get a real pair.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Always, since I was kid, and with prescription lenses ever since I started wearing glasses. I agree with those who recommend keeping them on the entire round... even if I immediately swap the sunglasses for regular glasses with the exact same prescription, there always seems to be at least a slight adjustment period and effect on depth perception.

The Ray Ban's with carbon fiber frames are so light you will forget you have them on. I own several Ray Ban's but these are best for golf.

Titleist TS2 KuroKage
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 15*
Callaway Steelhead XR 5wd
Titleist 818h1 21*
Titleist 718 AP1 4-GW KBS C-taper lite
Titleist SM6 54* SW
Scotty Cameron Newport Fastback 2

I definitely use sunglasses on the course, but not during the shot. As I wear contacts when playing I wear sunglasses to block the sun, the pollen and the wind from my eyes. But I can't really wear then during my shot. I have a few different pairs of sunglasses that I wear including a pair of Tifosi golf glasses (inexpensive) that are pretty nice. I read a few years ago that not wearing sunglasses while playing golf is really damaging to your eyes as the sun reflects up into your eyes. Good practice to wear them as much as possible.

I definitely use sunglasses on the course, but not during the shot. As I wear contacts when playing I wear sunglasses to block the sun, the pollen and the wind from my eyes. But I can't really wear then during my shot. I have a few different pairs of sunglasses that I wear including a pair of Tifosi golf glasses (inexpensive) that are pretty nice. I read a few years ago that not wearing sunglasses while playing golf is really damaging to your eyes as the sun reflects up into your eyes. Good practice to wear them as much as possible.

Why can't you hit a ball while wearing them?

Does Oakley have a pair of Prism that won’t make you look like a futuristic d-bag? Their website is clunky...

Yes, the Holbrook.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

There was just a news briefing called your health on the local news station. For today's topic it was wearing sunglasses on a sunny day and how helpful they work. The prevailing thought was standard sunglasses can do more harm than good because they dialate the eyes with the darkness of the glass, but the sun sneaking in from the top that bypasses the glass itself does the damage to the eye. It makes sense, but they also said that the wrap-around sunglasses (Oakleys) are the best because they hugged the face not allowing the stray ultraviolet rays to hit the dilated pupils. They even said that hats are better than standard sunglasses because they block all the sunlight that is usually from up above that get into the eye. The best case scenarios are to wear the wrap-around sunglasses that hug the face not allowing that ultraviolet light to sneak in, but even better is when they are combined with a hat.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

There was just a news briefing called your health on the local news station. For today's topic it was wearing sunglasses on a sunny day and how helpful they work. The prevailing thought was standard sunglasses can do more harm than good because they dialate the eyes with the darkness of the glass, but the sun sneaking in from the top that bypasses the glass itself does the damage to the eye. It makes sense, but they also said that the wrap-around sunglasses (Oakleys) are the best because they hugged the face not allowing the stray ultraviolet rays to hit the dilated pupils. They even said that hats are better than standard sunglasses because they block all the sunlight that is usually from up above that get into the eye. The best case scenarios are to wear the wrap-around sunglasses that hug the face not allowing that ultraviolet light to sneak in, but even better is when they are combined with a hat.

Good info. The hat is essential.
Titleist TS2 KuroKage
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 15*
Callaway Steelhead XR 5wd
Titleist 818h1 21*
Titleist 718 AP1 4-GW KBS C-taper lite
Titleist SM6 54* SW
Scotty Cameron Newport Fastback 2