The Heat Is Killing Me

I get off work and play nine holes. At work I am in the heat nearly all day and it is 91* plus high humidity. So on the course I just don't have it together at all. My driver is a beast, but turned on me and chewed my leg off. I always count on it, but the heat got me. I really do not want to put away the clubs till cooler weather , but I may have to. i still shot a decent score for me, 44, but so frustrated that the driver was beating me up. On the last hole I just knocked the h... out of it, and straight down the middle and long, really!!!!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I'm a pale, blue-eyed northerner, and the heat just kills my golf game. Even if I'm staying hydrated as best I can, a bright sun, humidity, and 80+ degree temperatures just beats me up. By the back 9, I can feel my body breaking down on me. The surest sign that I'm not in a good place is when I'm starting to feel a bit lightheaded over the golf ball. I'm pretty sure that's the onset of heat stroke.

The best solutions I've found are: playing in the morning exclusively, staying covered up in breathable clothing, hydrating, eating snacks, and dumping water on myself every now and then. I have one of those chilly towel things but feel like it's pretty useless. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

Hydration x20. Drink 20 oz right out of bed. Just down it. Then 20 more before the round on the practice tee or green. Then 20 every 3 holes. At least. That’s my recipe for yesterday’s 94 degree round.

I know it effects some more than others. But that part is a must for anybody.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have just spent the last month at home in Scotland, heading back to Houston on Tuesday and really looking forward to range Thursday in the heat!

As mentioned, I use a cart when in Houston; wet old school towel to take sweat off hands(no glove), and drink a litre of water every few holes and always fill the bottle up when I drive by a canister. you get used to the heat!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @bladehunter said:

> Hydration x20. Drink 20 oz right out of bed. Just down it. Then 20 more before the round on the practice tee or green. Then 20 every 3 holes. At least. That’s my recipe for yesterday’s 94 degree round.

>

> I know it effects some more than others. But that part is a must for anybody.

You got to be a tree hugger.

Bag is in overhaul mode

> @platgof said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Hydration x20. Drink 20 oz right out of bed. Just down it. Then 20 more before the round on the practice tee or green. Then 20 every 3 holes. At least. That’s my recipe for yesterday’s 94 degree round.

> >

> > I know it effects some more than others. But that part is a must for anybody.

>

> You got to be a tree hugger.

Cause tree huggers post good advice???

I love heat so y'all crazy. If its really bad out for 18 holes in the summer I might do 3, but usually 2 12oz gatorades during the round and 12-20oz of coffee at breakfast. I might get through a half bottle of gatorade in summer 9 hole league nights. Then again I dont sweat that much compared with most guys.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @platgof said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Hydration x20. Drink 20 oz right out of bed. Just down it. Then 20 more before the round on the practice tee or green. Then 20 every 3 holes. At least. That’s my recipe for yesterday’s 94 degree round.

> >

> > I know it effects some more than others. But that part is a must for anybody.

>

Congratulations for posting either the dumbest or most puzzling comment of 2019. I cannot draw a line between those dots no matter how hard I try.

Fact is that a healthy human can survive anything under 103 f or so all day if he gets enough water and protects from the sun. That fact decreases in accuracy of a person has all sorts of health issues. Everything from body temp to actual brain function is effected more by hydration than any one other thing. Your brain is mostly water. Fact.

And The term tree hugger is literally too ignorant to repeat.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> I love heat so y'all crazy. If its really bad out for 18 holes in the summer I might do 3, but usually 2 12oz gatorades during the round and 12-20oz of coffee at breakfast. I might get through a half bottle of gatorade in summer 9 hole league nights. Then again I dont sweat that much compared with most guys.

Yes. I sweat a lot. But from localized places. Lol. Mostly core areas , hairline on head and legs. But I lose a lot of water. Quick. Oddly enough. My hands do not sweat. Always dry.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Easy, move to a more northern climate for summer and south for winter. Many older retired folks do this. Here in central Illinois, April-June average high is 63, 73,82. Can get pretty warm mid July but that’s about that only time we can see some 90 degree weather. Sept average high is 77. Winters are cold, don’t think I would want to go any farther north that where I’m at, Chicago the winters hold on a little too long into spring

> @jut111 said:

> > @platgof said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > Hydration x20. Drink 20 oz right out of bed. Just down it. Then 20 more before the round on the practice tee or green. Then 20 every 3 holes. At least. That’s my recipe for yesterday’s 94 degree round.

> > >

> > > I know it effects some more than others. But that part is a must for anybody.

> >

> > You got to be a tree hugger.

>

> Cause tree huggers post good advice???

Or they are blind! ;)

> @OldFrog75 said:

> > @platgof said:

> > > @OldFrog75 said:

> > > It's not even June yet.

> >

> > Right, summer just jumped on the bandwagon. I guess I need to chill on the after work golf unless the weather cools somewhat, but June-August will be rough.

>

> Where do you play?

yeah...where are you all playing? In the northeast USA, it has been generally chilly, windy (very windy), wet, (very wet), and/or any combination of the above... Today it hit 78 muggy degrees, and it was the first time all Spring I've felt the slightest bit sweaty. Every shot I hit had mud on the ball. If I forgot to wipe my club off after the shot, the next time I used it it would have dried mud on it. IF there is such a thing as dry mud...not sure about that one.

Balls plugging, balls hiding in ankle deep rough that can not be mowed. In fact early in the week I saw a mower stuck in the mud.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

> @bladehunter said:

> > @platgof said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > Hydration x20. Drink 20 oz right out of bed. Just down it. Then 20 more before the round on the practice tee or green. Then 20 every 3 holes. At least. That’s my recipe for yesterday’s 94 degree round.

> > >

> > > I know it effects some more than others. But that part is a must for anybody.

> >

> > You got to be a tree hugger.

>

> Congratulations for posting either the dumbest or most puzzling comment of 2019. I cannot draw a line between those dots no matter how hard I try.

>

> Fact is that a healthy human can survive anything under 103 f or so all day if he gets enough water and protects from the sun. That fact decreases in accuracy of a person has all sorts of health issues. Everything from body temp to actual brain function is effected more by hydration than any one other thing. Your brain is mostly water. Fact.

>

> And The term tree hugger is literally too ignorant to repeat.

Well this is very hard to explain, you drink a lot of water and.... I'm playing in Tenn and it is very hot right now.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Humidity is the killer for me. If it is humid and above 80-85 and 60+% relative humidity, I really suffer. I drink about 750 mL of gatorade/water mix every 3 holes. The issue is that with such high humidity, you sweat, but it doesn't do evaporative cooling and leave your skin, especially if you have suntan lotion on. I bring a towel and "dry off", but but it still isn't enough sometimes. A breeze, even slight, is a godsend. When it's above 90 deg F and very humid and I have to play, I won't walk, even for 9. I have tried the ice packs on the carotid arteries, ice pack under the hat, and those bring temp relief.

To help minimize heat on the body, I wear very light colored clothing and hunt for shade anywhere I can find it.

> @Pearson10M said:

> Humidity is the killer for me. If it is humid and above 80-85 and 60+% relative humidity, I really suffer. I drink about 750 mL of gatorade/water mix every 3 holes. The issue is that with such high humidity, you sweat, but it doesn't do evaporative cooling and leave your skin, especially if you have suntan lotion on. I bring a towel and "dry off", but but it still isn't enough sometimes. A breeze, even slight, is a godsend. When it's above 90 deg F and very humid and I have to play, I won't walk, even for 9. I have tried the ice packs on the carotid arteries, ice pack under the hat, and those bring temp relief.

>

> To help minimize heat on the body, I wear very light colored clothing and hunt for shade anywhere I can find it.

These Lithium Ion Fans on Amazon with the powerful clip are awesome. I clip one to my cart and off we go! You could buy 2 also, they run the whole round usually.

Fun fact, the batteries in these are the same that are in the Tesla Cars. They just use about 2,000-4,000 of them all wired together .

> @platgof said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @platgof said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > Hydration x20. Drink 20 oz right out of bed. Just down it. Then 20 more before the round on the practice tee or green. Then 20 every 3 holes. At least. That’s my recipe for yesterday’s 94 degree round.

> > > >

> > > > I know it effects some more than others. But that part is a must for anybody.

> > >

> > > You got to be a tree hugger.

> >

> > Congratulations for posting either the dumbest or most puzzling comment of 2019. I cannot draw a line between those dots no matter how hard I try.

> >

> > Fact is that a healthy human can survive anything under 103 f or so all day if he gets enough water and protects from the sun. That fact decreases in accuracy of a person has all sorts of health issues. Everything from body temp to actual brain function is effected more by hydration than any one other thing. Your brain is mostly water. Fact.

> >

> > And The term tree hugger is literally too ignorant to repeat.

>

> Well this is very hard to explain, you drink a lot of water and.... I'm playing in Tenn and it is very hot right now.

Still not following you. I’m in South Carolina. I doubt seriously that it’s cooler here than in Tenn. probably quite equal. ( 95 here today ). I played 18 Saturday and walked and carried. Not sure how you’d accomplish that without plenty of h2o? If you’re out in it , better drink up.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @platgof said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @platgof said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > Hydration x20. Drink 20 oz right out of bed. Just down it. Then 20 more before the round on the practice tee or green. Then 20 every 3 holes. At least. That’s my recipe for yesterday’s 94 degree round.

> > > > >

> > > > > I know it effects some more than others. But that part is a must for anybody.

> > > >

> > > > You got to be a tree hugger.

> > >

> > > Congratulations for posting either the dumbest or most puzzling comment of 2019. I cannot draw a line between those dots no matter how hard I try.

> > >

> > > Fact is that a healthy human can survive anything under 103 f or so all day if he gets enough water and protects from the sun. That fact decreases in accuracy of a person has all sorts of health issues. Everything from body temp to actual brain function is effected more by hydration than any one other thing. Your brain is mostly water. Fact.

> > >

> > > And The term tree hugger is literally too ignorant to repeat.

> >

> > Well this is very hard to explain, you drink a lot of water and.... I'm playing in Tenn and it is very hot right now.

>

> Still not following you. I’m in South Carolina. I doubt seriously that it’s cooler here than in Tenn. probably quite equal. ( 95 here today ). I played 18 Saturday and walked and carried. Not sure how you’d accomplish that without plenty of h2o? If you’re out in it , better drink up.

I am impressed you can walk, I hate golfing from a buggy but in the summer it seems necessary. Got used to walking again this month so will be weird back in a buggy.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @platgof said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> >

>

You must have sun-stroke.

b9y3korlbb62.png

> @Pearson10M said:

> Humidity is the killer for me. If it is humid and above 80-85 and 60+% relative humidity, I really suffer. I drink about 750 mL of gatorade/water mix every 3 holes. The issue is that with such high humidity, you sweat, but it doesn't do evaporative cooling and leave your skin, especially if you have suntan lotion on. I bring a towel and "dry off", but but it still isn't enough sometimes. A breeze, even slight, is a godsend. When it's above 90 deg F and very humid and I have to play, I won't walk, even for 9. I have tried the ice packs on the carotid arteries, ice pack under the hat, and those bring temp relief.

>

> To help minimize heat on the body, I wear very light colored clothing and hunt for shade anywhere I can find it.

I'm with you on the humidity. It's brutal. Up here in SE Washington, it's a desert (literally). From June-August/September, it's 95-105 every day and dry. My worn out joints like the heat. Another plus is being this far north, it doesn't get dark until close to 10 pm. I've worked on some ships in the Gulf and out of Norfolk in the summer and the humidity dehydrates you QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention the drenched in sweat factor. I don't know how anyone can handle it. The only dry heat that beats me down is AZ and Palm Springs. Once it gets over 105, it doesn't matter if it's dry or not, you're roasting.

Hydration is the key during hot weather. I always add a Nuun tablet (basically sugarless gatorade) and that helps me a lot as I can really feel the affects of the heat. Alternate between Nuun and plain water and drink 4-5 20 oz of water per round in really hot weather. I read here somewhere that drinking too much water is bad for your kidneys as well and can cause serious problems so don't over do it either. Basic rules I've heard before - drink a bottle of water before you leave for the course and then have a drink on every hole.

Hydrate every day. On avg 1/2 gal of water should be consumed on a daily basis and closer to 1 is better. On hot days it will require more plus some way to replenish electrolytes. Proper nutrition on the course is also key. Cooling towels or a normal towel placed on the back of the neck will help reduce body temps.

I wish we had some heat up here

Super cool and wet Spring in the Toronto area. Then one day it will flip and it will be 90 + humidity all summer

I dehydrate quickly myself. Shade, water and gatorade. Limit the alcohol.. Listen to your brain and body

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @cardoustie said:

> I wish we had some heat up here

> Super cool and wet Spring in the Toronto area. Then one day it will flip and it will be 90 + humidity all summer

> I dehydrate quickly myself. Shade, water and gatorade. Limit the alcohol.. Listen to your brain and body

I was right there with you until that part about "limit the alcohol"...