Cobra Golf - Customer Service - Am I out of line?

zxcv4

Black Friday of 2018 I bought a set of Cobra Oversize clubs. Brand new. Previously I had been playing a set of Cobra One Length that I just did not like (also bought brand new), and before that a set of FP hand me downs that I got without a 7 iron (ironic that, that the club was broken). The winter was cold and the spring has been rainy so I have only been able to get out 4 times so far this year.

I step up to a 100 yard par 3, take the gap wedge out of my bag, tee the ball up and swing. I hit the ball pretty pure and then the ground which was soft and wet right after. The club snapped right off. I was in shock. I spent the rest of the round worrying if ever iron was going to snap. It is 100% in my head now.

I get home and I do some research and find that apparently for that model this is somewhat common. I contact cobra this morning and explain how I really just do not trust that the next swing is not going to snap that club head off as well. The CS rep explains that for sure they will replace the club under warranty. I explain back that while certainly that takes care of that club, it does not quell my fears about the others. I also explain that I have a life expectancy of longer than the 2 years Cobra warranty covers. I view an amicable solution a re-shaft of the set to the steel shafts offered in the f8/f9 models, or if they would take the clubs back at the price I paid, and more or less let me trade them in for a new model with whatever the cost difference is, between that set currently for sale on their site, and the new set.

Example, the clubs cost 700 dollars, a new set of F9 is 850, I give them my clubs and pay 150 extra.

I am honestly not trying to get one over on Cobra. I feel like I have invested a lot in the Cobra brand and just want to trust the tool I have in my hands.

They declined my option and said that I could take the club to a retailer and have them ship it out, or they could send me a label, but I would have to find my own box to ship it back. If I wanted to, after I got the fixed club I could sell them privately and buy a new set from Cobra @ 25% off.

Am I way off base with what I was asking for? Am I crazy for not trusting the other clubs won't break?

> @ntwusc said:

> I wouldn't expect them to preemptively re-shaft a full iron set based on one shaft breaking. Maybe if a second one breaks within the warranty period you'd have a better claim, but for now their offer seems pretty reasonable.

Thanks I appreciate the comment. That is def what I expected when I was on the course, but then after I got home and found all the reports from different outlets of the same thing as well I am more concerned. Would I be within bounds to ask if that if another breaks, they re-shaft them all and get that in writing? As a type of formal commitment from them.

They won't commit to that.

They'll repair whatever shafts break during the warranty period. If you don't trust the clubs anymore, get the reshafted one under warranty and then trade them in or sell them and grab another set.

If you really like the heads, a decent set of steel shafts should run you less that the money you'll eat trading them/selling them used and starting over.

> @"goondawg " said:

> Seems to me Cobra is doing right by you. If playing those sticks puts you in fear of losing your 2+ years of life expectancy then sell them, reshaft them or buy a helmet.

I could be wrong, but the way your comment reads, it appears you feel like I am stating that I myself have a life expectancy of longer than 2 years... which ya know, I certainly hope so. However, I was referring to the Cobra's life expectancy of the clubs hence their 2 year warranty. I am unsure why I would buy a helmet? Is this some form of me thinking life is hard so I should wear a helmet?

You are of the opinion they are doing right by me, I do not disagree entirely. I do not believe I stated they were not? I shall glean that you feel the ask was too big. Fair enough, this is why I asked. I have never had this happen before and wanted to know if this is the typical customer service response from an OEM retailer.

So you bought some Cobra clubs on Black Friday - which means you probably got them on sale - and because you had a shaft break, you want Cobra to basically take the set back at a price more than what you paid for it originally in order to get a newer set of irons on the cheap?

I'm surprised the Cobra rep you talked to didn't laugh at you and hang up.

Get the club reshafted under warranty. If you still "dont trust the tools in your hands" then sell the set or take it to a golf shop to trade it in for something else. But it looks like particularly bad form for you to try and use a broken shaft as a vehicle to get a new set of irons because you're having buyers remorse.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> So you bought some Cobra clubs on Black Friday - which means you probably got them on sale - and because you had a shaft break, you want Cobra to basically take the set back at a price more than what you paid for it originally in order to get a newer set of irons on the cheap?

>

> I'm surprised the Cobra rep you talked to didn't laugh at you and hang up.

>

> Get the club reshafted under warranty. If you still "dont trust the tools in your hands" then sell the set or take it to a golf shop to trade it in for something else. But it looks like particularly bad form for you to try and use a broken shaft as a vehicle to get a new set of irons because you're having buyers remorse.

Ok, Before this takes some kind of weird turn here. Let me clarify.

1) I do not have buyers remorse. Not sure I had the irons even long enough to have buyers remorse. Do you get buyers remorse after using something probably 2 times? I played 4 times this year and not even sure if I used that club more than twice.

2) I was willing to pay the difference in what they are selling for (currently on sale for fathers day) and the price of a different set that is also currently on sale. I used the example of an f9 because there is a price difference f8's are currently 50 dollars less, and would have been the same price with the same discount the day I bought them. I am not asking for a refund and then a free set of clubs. If they wanted to exchange them for the same set with different shafts I would have been open to that, and paid the difference in the shafts.

Edit inserted to include the text from my original post

" if they would take the clubs back at the PRICE I PAID and more or less let me trade them in for a new model with whatever the cost difference is, between that set currently for sale on their site, and the new set.

Example, the clubs cost 700 dollars, a new set of F9 is 850, I give them my clubs and pay 150 extra. "

Please review that I said the price I paid.

3) I also stated that what I had first ask for is a re-shaft of the set to a different shaft from the type in it.

4) I also asked if I was out of line with my ask to cobra, I didn't say I demanded, I didn't say I got all upset and flew off the handle etc.

For sure though, I certainly do not have buyers remorse. I have lots of cobra clubs that I have chosen to not play and not tried to get rid of for "a set of clubs on the cheap"

ig11hmcj7ywe.jpeg

This would be the response from any OEM, and the same response from any manufacturer of any goods - they will cover what broke/failed if it's under warranty.

To go a step further, Cobra has always gone above and beyond for me. Some of the best customer service I've experienced in the golf industry. It sounds like they even offered you 25% off of a new set of irons which I would classify as going above and beyond.

> @t4t3r said:

> This would be the response from any OEM, and the same response from any manufacturer of any goods - they will cover what broke/failed if it's under warranty.

Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback. This is the style of response I was looking for. If thats what the industry standard is, ok I get it and I can accept that.

I would get it fixed and game it. Even if it happens after warranty period wont cost that much to fix. If you can't enjoy them just sell then after they fix it and join team ping.

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

> @doctorjedi said:

> I would get it fixed and game it. Even if it happens after warranty period wont cost that much to fix. If you can't enjoy them just sell then after they fix it and join team ping.

Yep, I will surely have them fix it, no doubt. I'll just have to see if the others hold up or break as well. If I had not found the other instances of the same thing. I would not be worried about in the back of mind. Just gonna have to give it a go.

Thanks again!

Honestly I think it’s pretty cool they offered you a 25% discount on a new set. I wouldn’t have expected that if it was me. I had a much worse time with Puma Golf cs, which is essentially Cobra Golf, regarding a pair of golf shoes. They basically strung me on over several emails just to say sorry we can’t help go deal with the place you got them from.

In short, yes you are out of line.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I had a similar situation over 20 years ago with Taylor Made but it resulted in me never buying another club from them. I purchased a new set of TM LCG irons and a month later went on a golf trip to Myrtle Beach SC. The 7 and 5 iron snapped at the grip hitting shots from the fairway in my second and third round of a 5 day golf trip. I took both clubs to a golf shop and paid to have them re-shafted since I need the irons for the rest of my vacation. I took the irons back to the retailer when I returned home and TM was contacted and issued a return warranty authorization. 2 weeks or so later they were returned reshafted with an invoice for the 7 & 5 iron stating that I voided the warranty by having them re-shafted by an unknown source. The retailer told me that the TM area rep made the decision and I had to pay $ 100 bucks to get the irons back. I sold them that week and washed my hands of Taylor Made. The issue was that apparently the inner walls of the shafts were rusted and weakened causing them to break. My guess is that I have purchased 20 sets of Irons , 10 drivers , 8 Fairway woods , 8 Hybrids , 20 wedges , 10 putters and hundreds of balls....... ZERO Taylor Made.

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

Just to close the loop here. I contacted them back today and they did provide in writing that if another one breaks (clearly under normal circumstances) they will re-shaft the set or work out another arrangement. I am satisfied with this entirely. I told them I did not need the coupon as their willingness to re-shaft in the event of another break was satisfactory to me.

I appreciate all the feedback as I had never encountered this before.

I didn't have time to read the whole thread, I read the 1st post and the 1st response which nails it. If you have more than 1 break you have a case, one single club breaking isn't enough to warrant them re-shafting a whole set of clubs.

Remember, the hardest golf course is the 6" one between your ears.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

> @zxcv4 said:

> > @mktrout said:

> > i would say they went above and beyond what I would expect

>

> Again thank you for this response. I didn't know what the standard was. So thanks for providing that this is the above standard.

I would agree. I doubt most of the others (or any)would have offered 25% off the purchase of a new set.