Graduating from 2 piece balls, what next?

Moxley

15 Handicapper (probably a couple below what it ought to be thanks to a fluky round last summer) looking to change balls. I don't like losing premium balls, so I tend to play callaway supersoft and use a chrome soft on the 2 par 3's where I need a bit more spin to hold the green. However, I've straightened out my game a bit recently , and I'm looking for a ball that has more stopping power than the 2 piece ones which basically run off the greens far too easily now it's firming up.

I've was planning to try and make the permanent switch to Chrome Soft this summer, but the MGS review seems to indicate these are short balls, and I don't want to be giving up yardage if there are better balls, especially as the CS isn't cheap anymore.

Can anybody recommend me a 3 piece that is on the lower end of spin and higher end of distance, and won't break the bank. Bridgestone Tour RX looks appropriate , but I haven't tried it so that's only what I've gleaned from the MGS data.

SS is about average, around 90.

Thanks in advance

I have a 16 HCP and I am back to playing 2 piece low compression surlyn balls but I would recommend looking at the urethene Qstar Tour, Duo Professional, and the new Maxfli Tour (which I have not played but has excellent reviews, currently available at 2 dozen for $50). If you like the Chrome Soft I would not let posted test results bother you since you are not the robot that did the test.

If you can stomach the feel, I'd go with a Kirkland 3 Piece if you are worried about price. It's going to perform better than any of the surlyn balls, and it's cheaper than most of them to boot. Otherwise I'd look for deals (you can often find them for $30/dozen) on the bridgestone tour b xs and srixon z star. Or buy the Snell MTB in bulk.

Thanks all for the suggestions .

The Srixons do look to occupy the sweet spot between price and performance. The funny thing is that this is one of the most common balls I find on my course that I usually toss right back where I found it assuming they weren't that good.

Snell is a bit more expensive in the UK unless I get 6 dozen, which might earn me raised eyebrows from the wife :smile:

@NJpatbee , I understand what you're saying about Chrome Soft, I'm not dropping it solely on the ball test, but rather because it confirmed my experiences that I had previously shrugged off. I did and do like the truvis patterns they have , and it'd be nice to see other companies doing interesting things like that.

Another vote for the QST as my favorite and Project A is very similar. After years of playing the best cheap surlyn ball available, it's fun to watch these balls spin on the green. One other option is a 3 piece surlyn like Wilson Soft Spin. It's cheaper and better feel with some spin. It seems to be an under served category.

That MGS study has people needlessly scared in to thinking they should dump their “premium” balls because there is some other magic one out there that is going to miraculously improve their game. Play your CS, or try the QST or Project (a) - you are not going to notice a difference that could be considered statistically significant. Your wallet is the limiting factor.

I’m a single-digit index with a driver SS close to 110 and I love the Project (a). It’s as long as any premium ball I’ve played and feel great. They go, and stop - both extremely well. I do love TP5’s, PV1’s, etc. - when everyone pays big coin and proceed to lose them just as easily as any other.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

> @Hammer22 said:

> That **** study has people needlessly scared in to thinking they should dump their “premium” balls because there is some other magic one out there that is going to miraculously improve their game. Play your CS, or try the QST or Project (a) - you are not going to notice a difference that could be considered statistically significant. Your wallet is the limiting factor.

>

> I’m a single-digit index with a driver SS close to 110 and I love the Project (a). It’s as long as any premium ball I’ve played and feel great. They go, and stop - both extremely well. I do love TP5’s, PV1’s, etc. - when everyone pays big coin and proceed to lose them just as easily as any other.

I'll use the CS's/SSs that I have , but the cost _is_ my point, CS is £2.50 a ball - what's the point of paying that if it's not got the performance of a £2.50 ball ? Q star is almost £1 cheaper and, as you say, will probably seem much the same.

My index is a bit lower and I typically play the Callaway SuperSoft or Srixon Soft Feel. I'm not playing Augusta National but the courses are not cow fields either. Quite frankly, I don't have a lot of situations where I have any trouble stopping a well struck iron shot within a few to maybe 10 feet. There's no doubt that you are giving up some options around the green or on partial wedge shots, but a lot of the time you can account for this as well.

I find the main advantage of a lower spinning ball is that it is more stable in the wind. I also play GI irons, but gone are the days where a slight mishit with a forged CB/urethane ball turns into a shot that just curves and keeps going left/right (and usually short). This definitely isn't the stylish or cool combo, but I think it has some merits for my ability.

Of the higher end options listed, I did like the Project A ball the few times I've played it. I think the truth is all of these options are good balls. Just like any other equipment choice, there is one that will fit your swing, feel preferences, flight preferences best. I would suggest trying to stick with whatever ball (or maybe 2) as much as you can so at least you know how it will behave in various situations.

• 2 months later...

For the price conscious, Kirkland or Top Flite Gamer Urethane. I use the Gamers unless I’m in a tournament and they’re just fine. Usually 2 dz for $22. The distance and short game spin are good enough. And I don’t care if I lose one. They’re not perfect but good enough.

A decent step up are the srixon z-stars when they’re on sale. That’s what I use for more important rounds.

> @gohatters said:

> For the price conscious, Kirkland or Top Flite Gamer Urethane. I use the Gamers unless I’m in a tournament and they’re just fine. Usually 2 dz for $22. The distance and short game spin are good enough. And I don’t care if I lose one. They’re not perfect but good enough.

>

> A decent step up are the srixon z-stars when they’re on sale. That’s what I use for more important rounds.

I second the TopFlite Gamer Urethane. You can't beat the price when the run a multiple dozen special, which is most of the time. Surprising stopping power on chips and pitches, not too much spin off of the other clubs. I've been playing it all year and it's been great.

> @"Joe S" said:

> > @gohatters said:

> > For the price conscious, Kirkland or Top Flite Gamer Urethane. I use the Gamers unless I’m in a tournament and they’re just fine. Usually 2 dz for $22. The distance and short game spin are good enough. And I don’t care if I lose one. They’re not perfect but good enough.

> >

> > A decent step up are the srixon z-stars when they’re on sale. That’s what I use for more important rounds.

>

> I second the TopFlite Gamer Urethane. You can't beat the price when the run a multiple dozen special, which is most of the time. Surprising stopping power on chips and pitches, not too much spin off of the other clubs. I've been playing it all year and it's been great.

I'm at least a club shorter with those vs. Q Star Tour or Project (A). The price is great and they are good around the greens, but as a short knocker I need all the distance I can get.

> @xkilgorextroutx said:

> > @"Joe S" said:

> > > @gohatters said:

> > > For the price conscious, Kirkland or Top Flite Gamer Urethane. I use the Gamers unless I’m in a tournament and they’re just fine. Usually 2 dz for $22. The distance and short game spin are good enough. And I don’t care if I lose one. They’re not perfect but good enough.

> > >

> > > A decent step up are the srixon z-stars when they’re on sale. That’s what I use for more important rounds.

> >

> > I second the TopFlite Gamer Urethane. You can't beat the price when the run a multiple dozen special, which is most of the time. Surprising stopping power on chips and pitches, not too much spin off of the other clubs. I've been playing it all year and it's been great.

>

> I'm at least a club shorter with those vs. Q Star Tour or Project (A). The price is great and they are good around the greens, but as a short knocker I need all the distance I can get.

Interesting. I’ve read from many people on here. I personally don’t see a distance loss, but I can see where that’s a deal breaker if you do.

Am I the only one to question the premise here? If a 2-piece ball is working for you — feels good off the putter, performs consistently around the green, provides adequate distance, accuracy, and feedback on full swing shots — why do you need to find something different because your handicap is getting lower? To me, that’s evidence that something is working and you don’t need to change.

Ok, the other side of this thread, the ball test, has me in limbo too. I’ve played a lot of CS over the last 2 years, and always scored best with the original one dot 2015 Chrome Soft. I was given a crap ton of demo balls at one point, and have to wonder how many of them have an off center core. The apparent problems with Callaway’s QC are shocking. Maybe I’ll cut a couple CS demos open and see, I’m sure TC would be giddy.

HOWEVER, I have seen no evidence (#anecdotal) playing the 2015 CS that it lacks distance in my game. Average swing speed, not a high spinner. I’ve traded off with Z-Star XV, which I also recommend, and seen little difference. XV is perhaps more susceptible to side spin and wind. I happen to hole more putts and hit more greens with CS ‘15. The trouble is finding more of them.

There’s a lot of crap the YouTuber’s are peddling to get attention these days. Don’t forget, YMMV. You’re the only one playing your game.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

> @jbrunk said:

> Am I the only one to question the premise here? If a 2-piece ball is working for you — feels good off the putter, performs consistently around the green, provides adequate distance, accuracy, and feedback on full swing shots — why do you need to find something different because your handicap is getting lower? To me, that’s evidence that something is working and you don’t need to change.

>

> Ok, the other side of this thread, the ball test, has me in limbo too. I’ve played a lot of CS over the last 2 years, and always scored best with the original one dot 2015 Chrome Soft. I was given a crap ton of demo balls at one point, and have to wonder how many of them have an off center core. The apparent problems with Callaway’s QC are shocking. Maybe I’ll cut a couple CS demos open and see, I’m sure TC would be giddy.

>

> HOWEVER, I have seen no evidence (#anecdotal) playing the 2015 CS that it lacks distance in my game. Average swing speed, not a high spinner. I’ve traded off with Z-Star XV, which I also recommend, and seen little difference. XV is perhaps more susceptible to side spin and wind. I happen to hole more putts and hit more greens with CS ‘15. The trouble is finding more of them.

>

> There’s a lot of crap the YouTuber’s are peddling to get attention these days. Don’t forget, YMMV. You’re the only one playing your game.

I get what you're saying, and thank you for your thoughts. I concede that it's a close call between 2 and 3 piece, but it's more a case of case of saying that the rationale is moving away from 2 piece - I'm straighter, meaning I lose fewer, and I want to be able to hold greens more often which is hard on my home course in summer. I've also recently rediscovered my love for the short game, after some great pitching practice sessions , so I want a ball which will suit this shot better. It's possible I'll use 2 piece balls though when the ground softens and there's leaves everywhere.

Either way, for now, I've bought a few boxes of the Srixons, so that's what i'm committing to.

Srixon Q Star Tour

Vice Pro Soft

Wilson Duo Professional

All of those are low compression, low cost urethane covered balls that you might like with your swing speed.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

> @Tanner25 said:

> > @thejuice said:

> > Srixon Q Star Tour

> > Vice Pro Soft

> > Wilson Duo Professional

> > All of those are low compression, low cost urethane covered balls that you might like with your swing speed.

>

> Also, Project A, not too much chatter about these lately.

True!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour