Mizuno MP-20 HMB - July 2019

GolfWRX

Got to play today and I’m really impressed. We got about 2” of rain overnight so conditions were soft but turf interaction was fantastic with the HMB and MB.

I was playing a Par 5 into the wind (course was nearly empty) and I had 245 left to the green. Dropped half a dozen balls and I hit two well struck balls with my TS2 4 wood then hit two with the HMB 3i. The HMB stayed under the wind better and actually all the balls were within about 20’ total distance with the HMB actually being the longest.

Playing a full round tomorrow with a buddy with some long par 3s and should be able to use a lot of the different irons so looking forward to that. I feel the AMT white is a much better fit for me than the Modus 105 I played in my Srixons all summer.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

> @MBBG said:

> Got to play today and I’m really impressed. We got about 2” of rain overnight so conditions were soft but turf interaction was fantastic with the HMB and MB.

>

> I was playing a Par 5 into the wind (course was nearly empty) and I had 245 left to the green. Dropped half a dozen balls and I hit two well struck balls with my TS2 4 wood then hit two with the HMB 3i. The HMB stayed under the wind better and actually all the balls were within about 20’ total distance with the HMB actually being the longest.

>

> Playing a full round tomorrow with a buddy with some long par 3s and should be able to use a lot of the different irons so looking forward to that. I feel the AMT white is a much better fit for me than the Modus 105 I played in my Srixons all summer.

I see you have the same set makeup as I ordered, 3-6 HMB 7-PW MB. How is the transition from 6 to 7? I haven’t gotten my set yet, hopefully this week, just curious is there a big difference visually. I ended up keeping stock lofts on the MB’s and had the HMB 6 bent 2* weak, 5 bent 1* weak, 4 stock loft, and 3 1* degree strong. Makes 4* degree gaps from 18* 3 iron to 46* PW. This should help blend the offset smoother as well.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Mine are 4 degree gaps from 3-PW as well, I had them gapped like the SEL set.

It’s not a huge transition although it’s maybe a hair more noticeable than with my 585/785 Srixon set. The 7 iron does not look intimidating at ALL to me at address. And that’s coming from a Srixon 585 7. Which I guess is why some people are complaining these aren’t tiny butter knife blades...they’re modern MBs with a little more size and help but still offer the feel and control of a true MB. Several years ago I played RomaRo Pro Forged and those were tiny in comparison.

These pics aren’t the best as I’m running errands after supper but here’s a comparison with the 6 HMB and 7 MB side by side. Main difference is thicker top line and sole width.

84-CE1-AE6-44-DD-43-BC-9228-BD2662783862

D1-E90104-AA6-D-4-E8-B-BFBF-11566-AFD8-DFA

411-D2-C2-D-A518-440-C-B71-A-AE75-FFA09-D6-C

> @MBBG said:

> Mine are 4 degree gaps from 3-PW as well, I had them gapped like the SEL set.

>

> It’s not a huge transition although it’s maybe a hair more noticeable than with my 585/785 Srixon set. The 7 iron does not look intimidating at ALL to me at address. And that’s coming from a Srixon 585 7. Which I guess is why some people are complaining these aren’t tiny butter knife blades...they’re modern MBs with a little more size and help but still offer the feel and control of a true MB. Several years ago I played RomaRo Pro Forged and those were tiny in comparison.

>

> These pics aren’t the best as I’m running errands after supper but here’s a comparison with the 6 HMB and 7 MB side by side. Main difference is thicker top line and sole width.

>

> 84-CE1-AE6-44-DD-43-BC-9228-BD2662783862

> D1-E90104-AA6-D-4-E8-B-BFBF-11566-AFD8-DFA

> 411-D2-C2-D-A518-440-C-B71-A-AE75-FFA09-D6-C

These pictures are making me jealous for 2 reasons. 1 you already have your MP20s, 2 you clearly have weather that is still golf worthy.

I’m in northern Illinois so it could be snowing next weekend or 85 and sunny. I’ve seen both the first weekend of October. Doesn’t much matter to me though, once we get in the field I’ll be done golfing til spring barring some weekend rainouts

Off to the course with the HMBs for their first round! I have high hopes. I’ll report back later.

• Like 1

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Finally got the first round in the books with my HMB set. I have them bent to SEL specs. I don’t know if it is the shaft (modus125x), heads, or a combo of the 2 but wow do they feel amazing! I am hitting them about half a club longer. The ball flight is high but penetrating and they seem to stay in the air forever! It will take more time to adjust but these are going nowhere anytime soon. Coming from the MP 18 MMC with PX 6.5s these feel much better. I will be reshafting the 2 iron though. I wish I’d have stuck with the modus in that. Easy fix though. Well done Mizuno!!!!!

Still waiting on my shipping confirmation. Went 6 to P in the MBs and 3-5 in the HMBs. Like others, I tweaked the lofts for consistent gapping. I absolutely cannot wait to play them... oh wait, its snowing!

Ping G400 LST (10) - Tour AD XC 7TX

Taylormade 300 Mini Driver (13.5 @ 43") - Tensei Pro White 80 TX

Mizuno STZ 5 Wood - Ventus Red 9X

-or-

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 Iron (18*) - Aldila RIP Alpha 105X Hybrid Shaft

Taylormade P750 Tour Proto (2017) - PX 6.5 - 4-P

Cleveland RTX4 Black - 50/54/58

Scotty Phantom X5 (2022) - 34" - 10G weights

> @golf4fun said:

> > @jetmech879 said:

> > Monday can not come soon enough!!!

> > kkin1ql068dl.jpeg

>

> Was blown away by the feel and look of these, was going to do the mcc but after seeing the hmb and hitting them I ordered the whole set of hmb’s!

>

I don’t see how you won’t love the whole set. To me they are basically a combo set by nature. The 8-pw get more compact. I was wondering if I made a mistake by not comboing some blades and or MMCs but after playing a round with them that thought is gone. Not saying I won’t at some point get a set of MBs for fun? This set offers everything I want and need. And I’m super happy with the Modus 125x! Now I just need to get through another week of work so I can go play again!

• Like 1

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but I hit the HMB and wasn't all that impressed. I think they are good for what they are, but at the end they're a hollow body and just not the same feel as a traditional club. I've never hit a hollow body iron before though, so maybe they are really good feeling for the category.

I tested them at a local range and found them to have a "thud" kinda feeling, not really lively. When I went to a fitting last week I asked to hit them cause I had a few minutes to put in, the fitter said to me beforehand that I probably wouldn't like them and he used the exact same "thud" description, so I'm kinda glad that someone agreed with me.

I'd still play them in the long irons though

I'm playing 765's FWIW, and I hit the HMB with the same shaft. MMC wasn't available that day, but I think that's more in my wheelhouse.

> @Goldhawk said:

> Not to rain on everyone's parade, but I hit the HMB and wasn't all that impressed. I think they are good for what they are, but at the end they're a hollow body and just not the same feel as a traditional club. I've never hit a hollow body iron before though, so maybe they are really good feeling for the category.

> I tested them at a local range and found them to have a "thud" kinda feeling, not really lively. When I went to a fitting last week I asked to hit them cause I had a few minutes to put in, the fitter said to me beforehand that I probably wouldn't like them and he used the exact same "thud" description, so I'm kinda glad that someone agreed with me.

> I'd still play them in the long irons though

> I'm playing 765's FWIW, and I hit the HMB with the same shaft. MMC wasn't available that day, but I think that's more in my wheelhouse.

I totally respect your opinion. Feel is so subjective and shaft dependent. I hit the MB and the HMB and would struggle to tell the difference feel and sound wise. I’ve played every Mizuno blade from the 32s on up. The MP 20 line is the best feeling Mizuno I’ve hit.

My HMB arrived yesterday and I came back from range. I gotta be honest, I have not feel this exited to hit this iron. In my opinion, this is the best club for mid handicapper. This iron are very forgiving, it make my bad shoot look good, it makes me wanna keep hitting ball after ball. I don’t usually hit my long iron well, and this HMB put a smile on my face when hitting long irons.

I however WILL NOT recommend blend this clubs with MB and MMC. From address, I feel mb and mmc blend well together, it will transit nicely from short to long iron, HMB will probably only fit into 2 iron category. I felt HMB looks drastically different from address point of view even blend with MMC. For all the mid handicapper, 10-15, just order the whole set of HMB. Yes it looks little chunky, they are not ungly to look at, and you can still work the ball in both direction, the most important thing is HMB will make you bad shot look good, and I feel like I can definitely shave could stroke per round

• Like 3

> @Kuk said:

> I however WILL NOT recommend blend this clubs with MB and MMC. From address, I feel mb and mmc blend well together, it will transit nicely from short to long iron, HMB will probably only fit into 2 iron category. I felt HMB looks drastically different from address point of view even blend with MMC. For all the mid handicapper, 10-15, just order the whole set of HMB. Yes it looks little chunky, they are not ungly to look at, and you can still work the ball in both direction, the most important thing is HMB will make you bad shot look good, and I feel like I can definitely shave could stroke per round

I'm a mid-to-low single digit and went with all HMB's for maximum forgiveness. No need to go with MB's since the scoring irons in this line felt so good, and I didn't feel like my ego needed muscle-back irons at all. Mizuno still did a nice job making the sets all blend together, and the size differences are minimal. Enjoyed the 919F, but the HMB's are amazing.

• Like 3

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

I also took my HMB's out last night for the first time. I was the last one on the course, so I was able to hit 4 or 5 balls from different yardages on each hole. I can tell you these things are the real deal. They go through the rough great. The turf interaction is as good as my 919T's. Even the miss hits weren't too far off. I wasn't any longer with them, but I was much straighter. The feel with these clubs is amazing for a hollow back. I can't tell the difference between these, and the Tours. They do look a little chunkier, but after 2 or 3 swings, I forgot about it. I'm on my 4th set of irons this year. Started with the AP2's, then to the Callaway Apex Pro's, then the 919 Tours, and a brief stint with the T200's. These were the first ones I've hit that made me giggle the whole round. Kept thinking about it last night, and can't wait to get out tonight again with them. I think these clubs will fit low handicaps, as well as mid/upper handicaps. I'm playing at a 2 right now, and have no problems hitting the 8-P with this set.

> @Hammer22 said:

> > @**** said:

> > I however WILL NOT recommend blend this clubs with MB and MMC. From address, I feel mb and mmc blend well together, it will transit nicely from short to long iron, HMB will probably only fit into 2 iron category. I felt HMB looks drastically different from address point of view even blend with MMC. For all the mid handicapper, 10-15, just order the whole set of HMB. Yes it looks little chunky, they are not ungly to look at, and you can still work the ball in both direction, the most important thing is HMB will make you bad shot look good, and I feel like I can definitely shave could stroke per round

>

> I'm a mid-to-low single digit and went with all HMB's for maximum forgiveness. No need to go with MB's since the scoring irons in this line felt so good, and I didn't feel like my ego needed muscle-back irons at all. Mizuno still did a nice job making the sets all blend together, and the size differences are minimal. Enjoyed the 919F, but the HMB's are amazing.

>

>

I’m used to think I’m MMC type of player. But I don’t hit my 4 iron well, I don’t hit my 5 iron as consistent as i would like to. At 180 yard par 3, I’ll rather hit 5 iron HMB, I know my miss will be “manageable” enough that I don’t lose too many strokes

• Like 1

So all the talk of guys placing orders back in early September and still not receiving their clubs has me concerned as I didnt put my order in until launch day (9/20). So I jumped on Mizuno's website and tried to select any of the MP 20 models to see if maybe there are any on back order, and all models are listed as UNAVAILABLE until week of 10/3/2019. Makes me wonder how far along they got on custom orders until they ran out of heads? May have to give my dealer a call tomorrow and see if he has heard anything on my order.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

> @StarFleetGolfer said:

> Anyone have feedback? Last 5 pages of talking about orders.

I had a fitting last weekend here in Scotland, the tech in the HMB (long irons) wasn't enough for me to get the launch, my AoA with 3i was -3.5. The HMBs were hot off the face and felt alot nicer than other hollow body irons. There also wasn't the odd "super hot" one you get with other hollow body long irons, good consistency across the face. In the end I went with MMC in 4-7 with a view to maybe getting a 2i in HMB down the road. It would be good for off the tee but not necessarily the AoD to hold a green.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Been hitting these on the mat and they feel great. I’ve been using i500 and these obviously feel better. They aren’t as forgiving as p790 and i500 but the sound and feel to me makes up for it. I was surprised how small overall these were when I received them. Especially the sole... compared to 790/i500/i210 they look like blades. My hot metal pro set looks huge in comparison. Nothing can compete with the look of the hmb however. Head turners for sure. qk5dhgd4oa70.jpeg

weouda3evce7.jpeg

09s7nfc42ynf.jpeg

6na2ur76j45n.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

I just wish they would have stuck with the head shape of the 18s. Those have a much better profile.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @eastriver said:

> @Orlandogolfguru great pics! what's your 2nd wedge? I'm about to buy some T20s to complement my full set of HMBs and have been thinking about just 2 wedges at 52 and 58 (as opposed to 52, 56 and 60).

i have 3 t20s, 50/54/58. :-) i love the blue, the more the better!

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

Finally saw these in the shop today. They looked freaking perfect to my eye. I could easilt see myself playing a full set. Hopefully can find some time to test these soon. How is the forgiveness on these compared to the 919-Forged? They actually looked slightly bigger than the forged, but not in a bad way.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"