Most important thing from 5 lessons

N0rs3man ·  
N0rs3manN0rs3man Members  113WRX Points: 47Posts: 113 Fairways
Joined:  edited May 19, 2019 in Hogan's Heroes Swing Forum #1

I have the book on audio, and it is 2.5 hrs long. I work alone and often listen to books. I have listened to 5 lessons literally 15 times. Why? every time i listen to it I pick something else up that I forgot about or a concept I couldnt grasp before.

a few notables is right foot square, left foot 1/4 turn open : dont swing above plane : start swing with hips : swing should feel pleasurable not forceful : grip

What I found that single and absolute most help was his section on stance. Squat down, dont bend over at the hips, weight on heels so you can lift up toes if you wanted. ok... so doesnt sound like much, and in fact it feels a bit off at first...

goto the range, bend at the knees only so you are completely balanced, bend neck to look at ball not spine. your arms will feel like they are not hanging straight down but slightly out because you are not bending your torso over. Lift the club just enough to get it to the top, wrist cock only 50% at top then power hips and your wrists will cock rest of the way automatically.

you will come out perfectly balanced and you will be swinging faster than your ott hack that you **** yourself trying to hit a 300 yard drive.

Posted:
Post edited by N0rs3man on

PXG 0811XF Gen. 2 HZRDUS ProjectX shaft
King Cobra ROUGE X shaft woods
Sterling single length irons
Random putter

Comments

• Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members  6526WRX Points: 615Handicap: XX.7Posts: 6,526 Titanium Tees

His grip section, and drawings are exceptional. Such detail.

Posted:
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members  2650WRX Points: 514Handicap: 11Posts: 2,650 Titanium Tees

One of the best books evah!

Posted:
    • XXIO Prime 10.5*
    • Cobra Max 5w
    • Callaway BB 6h
    • Maltby TE Forged 6 - GW
    • Callaway PM Grind  56*
    • Scotty Fastback
  • AlexCzervicAlexCzervic Members  728WRX Points: 90Posts: 728 Golden Tee

Hogan did not start with hips.

Posted:
  • uitar9uitar9 Members  452WRX Points: 118Handicap: LOLPosts: 452 Greens

Was rereading for a few minutes today before 18 with my wife. Was reading about how the pinkie covered the knuckle. Made a slight mod to my own grip and effectively moved my bottom hand closer to the right. Locking them closer together.

My driver gained 10 yards today and ball flight straightened a little. Gotta remember this next time out.

Posted:
    KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway 20.5 heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    KZG 5-PW irons
    KZG 52 and 56 and cobra 60 wedges
    TM Spider mallet
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2092WRX Points: 796Posts: 2,092 Platinum Tees

Grip. For me it was the grip. It turned my most troublesome area of my game, driving, back into the strength of my game. I've eliminated the left miss if I do my part and take the time to get the grip correct. I still find myself getting into a hurry and not getting the grip 100% correct as it is not ingrained yet.

Posted:
  • JD3JD3 Members  5045WRX Points: 401Posts: 5,045 Titanium Tees

Imo motion of the right arm/hand thru impact. Might have said pivot but it's not really explained how he did it

Posted:
    TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXV Green 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    Titleist AVX 
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)

Advertisement
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members  2503WRX Points: 501Handicap: 3Posts: 2,503 Titanium Tees

On -, @JD3 said:

Imo motion of the right arm/hand thru impact. Might have said pivot but it's not really explained how he did it

I think what interests me here is how connected his right elbow is to his hip/belt into impact, hips driving that arm through the ball almost like it's glued into his side.

Posted:

Titleist 915D2 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 70X 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, Matrix 8Q3-X 41.5"
    Ping OG Rapture 2-U, DG XP - R300
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

B330-RX

• mcmacmcmac Members  66WRX Points: 26Posts: 66 Bunkers

On -, @AlexCzervic said:

Isnt that what is stated in the book? Interested if there is a different take or if I misunderstood.

Posted:
  • tungstenplugtungstenplug Washington, D.C.Members  351WRX Points: 373Posts: 351 Greens

Grip. It is the most simple part to control yet 75% of golfers I see are setting themselves up for failure by having a poor grip

Posted:

Taylormade
    Titleist
    Mizuno
    Toulon

2020 # of rounds: 11

• farmerfarmer Members  8604WRX Points: 1,038Posts: 8,604 Titanium Tees

Hogan's grip without Hogan's swing will give you a nasty slice. With all due respect to Mr. Hogan, a lot of what he felt was not what he did. For golfers of my generation, old bb'ers, everyone went through a Hogan phase, and no one succeeded. Mostly, the cap was duly copied.

Posted:

On -, @mcmac said:

On -, @AlexCzervic said:

Isnt that what is stated in the book? Interested if there is a different take or if I misunderstood.

5 lessons, modern fundamentals but not how I play golf by Ben Hogan. Hips are reactionary to intent, makes transition and startdown moves look like magic......and kind of is.

Only one way to automate this.

Step #1 - Educate the hands.

Step #2 - Move your hands.

Step #3 - Load the shaft and keep it loaded.

Step #4 - Return hands.

Lesson Complete.

AC

Posted:
    Post edited by AlexCzervic on

Advertisement
  • baloobaloo A Person WisconsinMembers  1093WRX Points: 135Posts: 1,093 Platinum Tees

I've read 5 Lessons a couple times, but never found it terribly useful. Big fan of Hogan's swing, but his teachings don't resonate with me.

Posted:
    Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
    2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
    SW - Wilson Staff
    Putter - Bullseye
    Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf
  • LyinEyeLyinEye Members  353WRX Points: 164Posts: 353 Greens

On -, @AlexCzervic said:

Well he said he did, and he did and he didn't. Hips can lead or respond, by choice or circumstances.

Posted:
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.