2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist's new 915D2 and 915D3 Drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

[quote name='Wooderson' timestamp='1416329505' post='10466827']
This is no way an attack on Aldila and Titleist. I have great respect for each company. This whole Rogue development and release has been pure genius. First, you build a top grade shaft with top grade materials in America. Then you find remarkable success on tour with it. Finally, you capitalize on the Rogue name with a quality shaft that is essentially a NV, Voodoo, or VS Proto, but with a small amount of high grade, MSI graphite fibers in key areas of the shaft that is riding the coat tails of the Limited Edition Rogue name. I would love to know the difference in material cost of the 110/95 MSI Rogue and the Tour green/blue.

I think you will see some of the other shaft companies follow this plan in the near future. How crazy would it be if a company could get a new and ultra expensive shaft in the hands of Tiger for his big return, and then build a cheaper version for an OEM. If I were Nike I would be in the offices of Graphite Design right now.

With all that being said, I'm in the process of trying to procure a 60s silver and 70s black for my bag. It's even almost got me past the reasons why I have not bagged a Titleist driver (large hosel, alignment mark). Well done.
[/quote]

Companies in a lot of industries have been doing that for over a hundred years. Pros get better quality, etc.
I'm not convinced there's any difference between the limited USA 125 Rogue and the Vietnam 125msi besides a paint job that is easier to silk screen based on phone calls I've had with Aldila and Titleist. Labor costs are huge. Build the protos at home, see how they are working then hopefully mass produce... the way of all clubs basically.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This conversation about pros getting higher quality equipment holds true for all professional athletics. Baseball is a good example. The wood/grain of major league bats are higher quality than that of even AAA players. When I was playing ball I knew it was almost impossible to get my hands on that stuff. Bat manufacturers sell "major league quality" bats to the public, but consumers know it isn't quite the exact quality. I don't see anything wrong with what Titleist/Aldila are doing.

Titleist 915D2 Speeder 6.2 TS
TM RBZ Stage 2 3W HL
Adams Idea Pro a12 18[sup]o[/sup]
Cleveland CG7 Tour P-3
Cleveland 588 52[sup]o[/sup]
Cleveland CG15 60[sup]o[/sup]
Scotty Cameron Circa '62 No. 2

Tried the black rogue regular, Red stiff, blue regular today all in 12 head A1 setting. Blue launched way too high and wasnt a good fit which surprised me.. Red stiff nice, much better than the blue, but the black came out being very comparable to my AD Di6 SR. Possibly slightly better ball speeds with the black but negligbile diffrence. My swing speed was averaging about 93-95 today. Was carrying 225 with nasty range balls and in to a 1 club chilly wind. Will want to try the rogue black again. Luckily my teaching pro is a titleist fitter at national fitting centre. I thought the black was a quality shaft.

[quote name='dan100' timestamp='1416408196' post='10471739']
Tried the black rogue regular, Red stiff, blue regular today all in 12 head A1 setting. Blue launched way too high and wasnt a good fit which surprised me.. Red stiff nice, much better than the blue, but the black came out being very comparable to my AD Di6 SR. Possibly slightly better ball speeds with the black but negligbile diffrence. My swing speed was averaging about 93-95 today. Was carrying 225 with nasty range balls and in to a 1 club chilly wind. Will want to try the rogue black again. Luckily my teaching pro is a titleist fitter at national fitting centre. I thought the black was a quality shaft.
[/quote]Why not try the Rogue silver in the R flex? it's available at no upcharge.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

Here's the response from Aldila to my email regarding 125 MSI. I hope hearing it from the horse's mouth puts any questions of integrity on both Aldila's and Titleist's parts to rest.

My email to them:

Hi,

There's ongoing discussion about this shaft on GolfWRX and not the claim is that the version available to Titleist is not the same version that retail for upwards of $700. The claim is that the Titleist versions are made in Vietnam and not in the US. One person said they saw this when they changed a grip out and there was a sticker saying so. Another is a retailer. Can you please clarify the differences between the two alleged versions of the 125 MSI. If they are indeed different then people should be made aware because then they are upgrading to something that's different from what they're expecting and under false pretenses as well, given the fact that a rep of yours stated that there is no difference between what Titleist is offering as an upgrade and what the limited tour only shaft is.

Thanks.

-Victor

Sent from my iPhone

cleardot.gif

Response from Aldila:

Victor,

The version that is offered by Titleist, in R,S,& X flex are made in

Vietnam and are our Rogue Tour version's, which will say 110 or 95 MSI

on them. Titleist is also offering a TX flex, which is our Rogue Limited

Edition version, and it will say 125 MSI on it. The Rogue Limited

Edition is made in our R & D facility. We hope this helps you out.

Best Regards,

Aldila Sales

I think the 110 MSI Rouge Silver is a standard shaft in the Callaway 815 Alpha double diamond as well...So probably not a bad shaft. Maybe a $200 shaft (although Titleist reps. like to claim it is a $300 shaft).. I was told that the 110 and 125 MSI are done on completely different machines. One is a production machine in Vietnam and the other is on R&D equipment in the U.S. You get a certificate of authenticity and a embossed serial number on the 125 shaft. Obviously at $799 you aren't getting that shaft in the 915s... The only way to tell the difference is for each person to hit both shafts and see the results. I have a 110 and a 125 both with Ping tips that had the 110,125 and embossed emblem taped over so as not to influence me. The results were measurably different in favor of the 125 4 out of 5 sessions... I don't think I could feel any difference but the numbers said there was....

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1416421242' post='10473077']
I think the 110 MSI Rouge Silver is a standard shaft in the Callaway 815 Alpha double diamond as well...So probably not a bad shaft. Maybe a $200 shaft (although Titleist reps. like to claim it is a $300 shaft).. I was told that the 110 and 125 MSI are done on completely different machines. One is a production machine in Vietnam and the other is on R&D equipment in the U.S. You get a certificate of authenticity and a embossed serial number on the 125 shaft. Obviously at $799 you aren't getting that shaft in the 915s... The only way to tell the difference is for each person to hit both shafts and see the results. I have a 110 and a 125 both with Ping tips that had the 110,125 and embossed emblem taped over so as not to influence me. The results were measurably different in favor of the 125 4 out of 5 sessions... I don't think I could feel any difference but the numbers said there was....
[/quote]

Please elaborate on the numbers difference you experienced.Thanks in advance.

Here's the response from Aldila to my email regarding 125 MSI. I hope hearing it from the horse's mouth puts any questions of integrity on both Aldila's and Titleist's parts to rest.

My email to them:

Hi,

There's ongoing discussion about this shaft on GolfWRX and not the claim is that the version available to Titleist is not the same version that retail for upwards of $700. The claim is that the Titleist versions are made in Vietnam and not in the US. One person said they saw this when they changed a grip out and there was a sticker saying so. Another is a retailer. Can you please clarify the differences between the two alleged versions of the 125 MSI. If they are indeed different then people should be made aware because then they are upgrading to something that's different from what they're expecting and under false pretenses as well, given the fact that a rep of yours stated that there is no difference between what Titleist is offering as an upgrade and what the limited tour only shaft is.

Thanks.

-Victor

Sent from my iPhone

cleardot.gif

Response from Aldila:

Victor,

Best Regards,

Aldila Sales

Are we to infer then that any shaft with 125 MSI (TX, TS, TR) is made by R&D? I wonder where the tour-only Black 110 is made? So confusing...

[quote name='siemer12' timestamp='1416333950' post='10467331']
This conversation about pros getting higher quality equipment holds true for all professional athletics. Baseball is a good example. The wood/grain of major league bats are higher quality than that of even AAA players. When I was playing ball I knew it was almost impossible to get my hands on that stuff. Bat manufacturers sell "major league quality" bats to the public, but consumers know it isn't quite the exact quality. I don't see anything wrong with what Titleist/Aldila are doing.
[/quote]

"Tour" bats and "Made For" bats? Watered down forests? USA trees vs Vietnamese trees maybe?

My email to them:

Hi,

Thanks.

-Victor

Sent from my iPhone

cleardot.gif

Response from Aldila:

Victor,

Best Regards,

Aldila Sales

So a member here says his 125 MSI shaft has a label that says made in Vietnam but Aldila is saying that the 125's are made at R&D which I assume is in the USA? I am not sure how much this matters, just making sure that I am understanding it correctly.

Could you imagine the outrage if Scotty Cameron were somehow involved in this [i]conspiracy[/i]? WRX would explode.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1416431894' post='10474135']
[quote name='blav28' timestamp='1416431693' post='10474119']
Could you imagine the outrage if Scotty Cameron were somehow involved in this [i]conspiracy[/i]? WRX would explode.
[/quote]

Scotty has German MSI, it will be a Holiday release.
[/quote]

His MSI is handcrafted.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

[quote name='blav28' timestamp='1416431936' post='10474141']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1416431894' post='10474135']
[quote name='blav28' timestamp='1416431693' post='10474119']
[/quote]

Scotty has German MSI, it will be a Holiday release.
[/quote]

His MSI is handcrafted.
[/quote]

Only the orders from the custom shop.

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1416421242' post='10473077']
[/quote]Really one machine? please let the silliness end. I've been to a graphite shaft factory, there are many machines in the process not just one. A factory in Vietnam will be just like one in the USA, the big difference is the wages and cost. The materials Aldila will be the same, the specs will be the same. Shafts are not mass produced like you would think, the factory's are not large. Here's a youtube video that may help clear up all the confusion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F3EtJ6cMYk

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

Just an FYI I tried to order a D3 with Rogue Silver 70x today and the shaft is backordered until December 15.

Ping G400LST 10* Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.3x
Callaway Epic Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 765 Tour Spec X
Taylormade P790 UDI
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW X100 TI
Vokey SM6 50*/Nike Engage SS 55*/TM Hi-Toe 60*
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

[quote name='BoomerSooner214' timestamp='1416436357' post='10474601']
Just an FYI I tried to order a D3 with Rogue 70x today and the shaft is backordered until December 15.
[/quote]

Black or Silver? They only stock the black in regular and stiff. The X is an exotic no-upcharge offering that they have to get from the manufacturer.

SIM 9.0 Ventus Blue 7X, SIM 15* Ventus Blue 8X
U500 2i, OT100, P7.MC 3-4, P7.MB 6-P, Modus 120 X
MG2 53, 58 Modus 120 X, Toulon Garage Austin

Well, I went a little nuts on the Titleist stuff. I had originally ordered a 915 FD with the Rogue Black X. This week, I ordered an 8.5 degree D3 with the Black 70X, The #2 HD with a Whiteboard 100 X, 714 MB irons with KBS Tour V, and a Staff Bag.

What have I done?!

SIM 9.0 Ventus Blue 7X, SIM 15* Ventus Blue 8X
U500 2i, OT100, P7.MC 3-4, P7.MB 6-P, Modus 120 X
MG2 53, 58 Modus 120 X, Toulon Garage Austin

[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1416490448' post='10477281']
[quote name='BoomerSooner214' timestamp='1416436357' post='10474601']
Just an FYI I tried to order a D3 with Rogue 70x today and the shaft is backordered until December 15.
[/quote]

Black or Silver? They only stock the black in regular and stiff. The X is an exotic no-upcharge offering that they have to get from the manufacturer.
[/quote]

Silver. Was just relaying what the sales rep at Titleist told my local golf store. There was no delay in the silver 60x though.

Ping G400LST 10* Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.3x
Callaway Epic Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 765 Tour Spec X
Taylormade P790 UDI
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW X100 TI
Vokey SM6 50*/Nike Engage SS 55*/TM Hi-Toe 60*
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1416490594' post='10477287']
Well, I went a little nuts on the Titleist stuff. I had originally ordered a 915 FD with the Rogue Black X. This week, I ordered an 8.5 degree D3 with the Black 70X, The #2 HD with a Whiteboard 100 X, 714 MB irons with KBS Tour V, and a Staff Bag.

What have I done?!
[/quote]

Sounds like a bunch of wise decisions! Enjoy them! :drinks:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

What have I done?!
[/quote]
You might need professional help...LOL ;)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

So the working theory is:

Tour Limited Edition 125 is made in the USA
Titleist 125 is made in Vietnam

Is that the idea now?

What about the Diamanas? Are the new plus series supposed to be manufactured in different places or all in China?

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

What have I done?!
[/quote]

Purchased an awesome set of clubs - well done sir!

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1416513782' post='10479311']
What about the Diamanas? Are the new plus series supposed to be manufactured in different places or all in China?
[/quote]

Diamanas are manufactured at an undisclosed underground factory in South Africa. Workers are stripped and cavity searched daily when leaving to prevent the possiblity of proprietary fibers falling to the hands of competitors.