2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Dustin Johnson...Leave of absence from golf ..Any news? (MERGED)

[quote name='Auditor_Kevin' timestamp='1406900778' post='9831753']
Looks like Johnson's agent/people (or Paulina Gretzky's agent/people) have been busy. I just visited his wikipedia page to see if he's married or just engaged to that train wreck waiting to happen and somebody nuked his entire "Personal Life" section, which is usually the first paragraph ahead of career accomplishments. As it stands right now there isn't a peep about his personal life. Gretzky isn't even mentioned on the page. Fishy.

Here's the page if anyone is interested:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_Johnson"]http://en.wikipedia..../Dustin_Johnson[/url]

Here's the link to the change log on the page but I'm not good enough with wikipedia to see when/how/who deleted all his personal stuff. Can someone else on the thread do that?

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dustin_Johnson&action=history"]http://en.wikipedia....&action=history[/url]
[/quote]

No idea if there used to be a Personal Life section, but right now on his page there is:
- Professional Career: [color=#252525]On July 31, 2014, Johnson announced he was taking the rest of the season off to seek professional help for personal challenges[/color]
[color=#252525]- 2013 Season: [/color][color=#252525]The same week Johnson also was seen with [/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulina_Gretzky"]Paulina Gretzky[/url][color=#252525], daughter of [/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Gretzky"]Wayne Gretzky[/url][color=#252525]. The two announced their engagement on August 18[/color]

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='27x10.5' timestamp='1406903617' post='9832113']
This thread has made me realize how sheltered and disconnected from reality a lot of the areas of the country must be.
[/quote]

old, white, conservative, middle America...they already know everything, why would they bother actually researching something and forming their own opinion instead of regurgitating some other old, white, conservative, middle American's thoughts? They have guns to shoot and beer to drink, which don't harm anybody. But that mary jane...it's killing America.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1406902142' post='9831889']
Those characterizations of drunks and potheads is ridiculous.
[/quote]

You're certainly entitled to your own opinion!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1406903784' post='9832141']
This thread has made me realize how sheltered and disconnected from reality a lot of the areas of the country must be.
[/quote]

old, white, conservative, middle America...they already know everything, why would they bother actually researching something and forming their own opinion instead of regurgitating some other old, white, conservative, middle American's thoughts? They have guns to shoot and beer to drink, which don't harm anybody. But that mary jane...it's killing America.
[/quote]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFCwtoxX60g[/media]

Based on the presser it sounds like chemical addiction (and not to weed as some of you'd like to claim... LOL!). What's weird is that he's been playing great golf. I wish him a quick path to wellness.

I know it's a little nasty but I can't help but think his party girl is at the root of his issues. Frankly I think these young "rich" guys need to stay unattached and have some fun along the way.

[quote name='jmck' timestamp='1406903124' post='9832043']
[quote name='damnorcross' timestamp='1406902868' post='9832013']
[quote name='jmck' timestamp='1406901753' post='9831847']
Okay homies, time for some real talk:

1) Weed isn't a narcotic, nor is it addictive, despite what the government's told you or classified it as.

2) You don't get suspended from the PGA Tour for smoking weed. In fact, there are many well known pot heads on tour--web.com, PGA, LPGA, Euro, Senior--every tour.

3) Dustin's been a coke head on and off since he was a pup. Ask anyone who grew up or went to school with him. There are two things they'll say: a) dude can bomb it, and b) dude loves his blow.

4) His "back injury" was suspension #1.

5) This is suspension #2.

6) You don't have to be engaged to a hot blond who likes to party to have bad influences in your life, or to give in to your own pre-existing urges and inclinations.

7) If you've been doing coke all night and you have a 7am tee time, you will find other, equally addictive, drugs placed in your hand by your friends to get you through until you can crash at noon.

8) Sorry if the above rubs the squares the wrong way, but every word of it is true. (If you want a wild unsubstantiated rumor that may yet turn out to be true instead, how about that Tiger's got another suspension--err, I mean setback in his back surgery rehab--coming down the road after the Ryder Cup....)

Look, PGA Tour management wishes they had 150 Zach Johnsons out there. That's just not the case.
[/quote]

I thought Matt Every got suspended for 3 months for getting caught with weed? I agree with everything else.
[/quote]

Yes, but he wasn't suspended for [i]smoking [/i]weed, he was suspended for [i]getting arrested[/i] for marijuana possession.

Don't get arrested for it, they won't suspend you. Wink wink, nudge nudge.
[/quote]

Is this the same sort of policy professional snooker had, when Canadian player Cliff Thorburn got suspended in the 80's? I am not sure, what he used, but he did not get suspended for the use of some sort of drug, but for "behaviour detrimental to the reputation of snooker"

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[/quote]

Yeah, it's a shame everyone's 71 year old mother doesn't get stoned every night.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1406879963' post='9830653']
[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1406838930' post='9826577']
[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1406838270' post='9826451']
[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1406837788' post='9826355']
[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1406837695' post='9826331']
What a shocker!

Guy looks like the poster child for THC use.

What a waste of talent.
[/quote]

Yeah since THC is addictive and all and normally requires intensive rehab...
[/quote]

And I suppose alcohol isn't addictive either?

Johnson always looked like a stoner. People who smoke marijuana can be led into harder drugs or a combination. I know a Guy which almost killed two people in a robbery and tried to kill two cops. His defense was that he was addicted to marijuana.
[/quote]

Alcohol is 100% addictive, much more so than marijuana.

Marijuana is not physically addictive, regardless of the mumbo jumbo the government has fed you for the last 60-70 years. There is nothing in it that makes you want to start smoking crack or injecting yourself with heroin.

If the guy you are talking about was smoking weed, he would have been too lazy to rob anyone or try to kill the police, he would be at home watching cartoons and eating cheetos.
[/quote]
This is just straight out wrong. Weed is incredibly addictive, there is just a perception it isn't cause people function on it. It's hilarious how many people tell me it isn't addictive, who hit the bongs every morning and every night. Most stoners don't see it as being addictive. They have it under control, it's just something they like. But can't go a single day without.
[/quote]

What? Incredibly addictive? Define incredibly addictive.

Addiction rate is maybe 10% at most. Less than alcohol and way less than heroin, cocaine and nicotine.

There is no way DJ is in for weed rehab. Guessing its something else above or prescription drugs. Or maybe sex addiction given who his GF is.

[quote name='r9dhicks' timestamp='1406900228' post='9831663']
I'm under the impression, coming from a friend that is close to Coastal Car. golf, that the last "hiatus", was a brief stint in outpatient rehab for painkillers. I'm betting all my chips this time around that it's cocaine.

Paulina is a poster girl for coke, with as much partying as she does, and her weight (or lack thereof). No doubt it rubbed off, and we know he likes to have a good time.
[/quote]

Doesn't seem like anything needed to "rub off" on DJ. He was well down his path with or without his gal pal.

Like he was just standing around, all innocent and stuff and BLAM! PG shoves a gram of coke up his nose.

[quote name='UofU02' timestamp='1406904438' post='9832231']
This was a great read but it finally jumped the shark when people began analyzing his Wikipedia page.

The truth is out there...
[/quote]

Ha! That's the first wiki entry I've seen that didn't have Personal Life and Controversies sections separated from career. That's what threw me. I should have done a Ctrl F search for Gretzky first but as another poster said - that's Wikipedia for you.

And if you think it's conspiratorial to believe people try to control what's on their own wikipedia pages then you probably shouldn't google why Wikipedia had to tighten up their editing features because of all the congressional office addresses that were editing pages. Scientology, too and I'm sure a million other ones.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

If I were a PGA Tour player who does not take anything illegal, ever, I would be pretty fed up with the policy they obviously have towards these things. It seems to me that they never make anything public and hand out no bans, but just tell the player involved to take a leave for a few months.
Makes those who really have health issues subject to speculation as well, not good at all.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Kudos to the PGA for not disclosing drug test results. It seems like that is something that should be illegal to disclose and it probably is, but all the other major sports leagues have so many leaks that it doesn't matter.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1406904850' post='9832301']
PGA Tour management wishes they had 150 Zach Johnsons out there.
[/quote]

150 zach johnsons would kill the pga tour.
[/quote]

Why do you say that? Are most golf fans more interested in golf, or the lifestyle of the players off the course?

Serious question. If it is the latter, then golf really is dying.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback

Wow. Some people's ideas are absurd! +1 to the sheltered comment, people need to understand the difference between habitual use vs addiction.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='corky' timestamp='1406904781' post='9832293']
Big mistake not admitting what it's for, his choice(or his advisor's)or even The PGA's?.....

even if he comes back this will haunt him.

Come clean and then you can move on.......

People will comtinue to speculate, you can't hide this under the carpet like that tool(minor) Every
[/quote]

Agree 100%. I get tired of people in the spotlight apologizing 1000 times for their actions but never admitting to anything. I have a lot more respect for the guy who comes right out and admits what he did and then asks for forgiveness.

FT Tour 10.5* Attas T2 6S
X Tour 3 Wood Axivcore Black 69S
Diablo Edge Tour 5 Wood Axivcore 79S
MP-60 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300
MP-R 52*, MP-T 56*, MP-R 60*
Oddessy White Hot #9

[/quote]

How do you know they're not reality and you're the one disconnected?

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[quote name='mwkbmw' timestamp='1406905098' post='9832323']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why do you say that? Are most golf fans more interested in golf, or the lifestyle of the players off the course?

[/quote]

snarky reply: as far as i know, human cloning is still illegal.

serious reply: i like zach's game. but if everyone were playing the same exact way (conservatively excellent) and everyone had essentially the same personality -no 'stars' and no standout 'characters'- golf would revert back to being a niche sport. all my opinion of course.

in terms of DJ (the Bizarro ZJ), as a golf fan, i think it sucks that he's going to be on vacation and miss the pga, the tour championship and the ryder cup. hopefully he gets some help and this doesn't turn into AK part deuce.

edit: just realized i didn't actually answer your question. i'm a fan of golf excellence, from a variety of sources. the personal stuff - eh, don't really care. makes for juicy threads on wrx though.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='yellowlab' timestamp='1406905348' post='9832373']
Big mistake not admitting what it's for, his choice(or his advisor's)or even The PGA's?.....

People will comtinue to speculate, you can't hide this under the carpet like that tool(minor) Every
[/quote]

Agree 100%. I get tired of people in the spotlight apologizing 1000 times for their actions but never admitting to anything. I have a lot more respect for the guy who comes right out and admits what he did and then asks for forgiveness.
[/quote]

Not to mention, Every has stated several times in interviews he won't change his lifestyle because of that incident.

[/quote]

Big mistake? If its true that he's going to rehab, and he's 100% committed to it, then he should focus on that and not worry about what the general public thinks or knows. His entire focus should be on sobriety, and if he decides to talk about it publicly, it will be when he talks to his doctors and sponsor.

There is absolutely no reason that he needs to come out and discuss his personal life with anyone, even his family. Those are decisions that take time.

"Come clean and then you can move on"? The coming clean part might take years, and there will be a lot of people to talk to some people on a message board.

And why do you care so much? Its just a guy who plays golf. Do you think you deserve to know everything about his private life?

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1406904760' post='9832289']
If I were a PGA Tour player who does not take anything illegal, ever, I would be pretty fed up with the policy they obviously have towards these things. It seems to me that they never make anything public and hand out no bans, but just tell the player involved to take a leave for a few months.
Makes those who really have health issues subject to speculation as well, not good at all.
[/quote]

If they are dealing with a true addiction problem then it's not their place to discuss those issues with the public.

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1406905696' post='9832437']
[quote name='mwkbmw' timestamp='1406905098' post='9832323']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

snarky reply: as far as i know, human cloning is still illegal.

serious reply: i like zach's game. but if everyone were playing the same exact way (conservatively excellent) and everyone had essentially the same personality -no 'stars' and no standout 'characters'- golf would revert back to being a niche sport. all my opinion of course.

in terms of DJ (the Bizarro ZJ), as a golf fan, i think it sucks that he's going to be on vacation and miss the pga, the tour championship and the ryder cup. hopefully he gets some help and this doesn't turn into AK part deuce.
[/quote]

I thought you were referring to Zach being a choir-boy type. I agree as far as how they play the game that it would be quite boring. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they lived identical lives off the course because I don't have to watch that. I just like golf.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback