2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Dustin Johnson...Leave of absence from golf ..Any news? (MERGED)

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1406849635' post='9828003']
[quote name='rjpvette' timestamp='1406849236' post='9827961']
A lot of interesting theories and speculation going on here.. Just looking at Dustin Johnson and how things are going in his career and life, its hard to believe he has a serious addiction to cocaine. Sure it's possible, but everything is at this point. He looks healthy, has played well, is engaged, things seem to be going well in his life, and he seems happy... Sure, he could do it occasionally, could have got popped for it, and is forced to go to rehab. Or it just could be that he does smoke in his off time to calm his nerves, help him sleep, relax and put a stressful tournament behind him, whatever the reason may be. Maybe he does smoke in his spare time, he failed a test, and now is forced to take leave from the tour and go into a drug rehab for it simply because he failed a test. Does his game, attitude, or life really look like someone that actually needs serious rehab? I get it, Paulina is a rich hot blonde party girl. Dustin looks and acts like a stoner. If people say so. But she is also somewhat of a health and fitness freak as well.. Look at DJ.. dude takes care of himself and is one of the players on tour always working to strengthen his body and stay in shape. It just doesnt sound to me like these two are hardcore drug users addicted to cocaine and partying. Yeah, they look like they are enjoying life and doing what people with money their age should do. Going on boats, vacations, golfing, and taking pictures of them having fun.

If it does end up being that he smokes in his free time and was busted for that, well it obviously it is his fault that it has interfered with his career and profession. But it doesn't make him some horrible person, someone that we should judge or be ashamed of. I know opinions will always vary on this matter, especially depending on the state and laws you live around, but where I am from a lot of people are marijuana users.. And that majority of the ones I know hold high up jobs with very successful careers making 80k-300k a year, great family life, nicest people you would meet, and if you didnt know them, would have no idea they took part in that in their spare time. Some people drink, others commit actual crimes, some people cheat, some people break or throw clubs. People do things to cope with life. Yeah pot use is illegal, I get that, but so is speeding. The difference is speeding puts other peoples lives in danger including your own.

Humans aren't perfect and who knows what he really has done. It could be way worse than I personally think, but in the end from everything I have seen, witnessed,and heard, he's a really nice guy, fun to watch play, and is good for the game of golf . So if he hasn't done anything too severe, or something that really does warrant him being banished from the tour, lets hope he recovers from all of this, gets his mind right, and gets back to playing his best.
[/quote]

I don't know why he's suspended, but you're pretty far off in your assumptions. Addicts are very good at hiding their addictions. You might have a vision a what a drug addict looks like, but that usually the addicts who don't have the money to support their habits. Someone with a ton of money can support their habit, so they look put together, but behind closed doors they can be living a completely different life.
[/quote]

What assumptions did I make that I am far off on? I stated that nobody knows what happened including myself. Sure I also stated what I believe is the more likely scenario. I never said that addicts aren't good in hiding their addictions... You are right, there are a lot of addicts that are good in hiding their addictions. I would completely agree with that. Unless Dustin Johnson is pulling a Dexter on us, this most likely would be drug related based on the discussion and speculation. When you are talking about addicts when it refers to serious drugs, there are things called signs and symptoms. Sure cocaine is the drug of choice for the rich and the side affects may not be as severe other drugs, but if the guy is addicted which means using all the time and is dependent on it, having money is not going to be able to remove the signs of drug addiction. If anything it would fuel the addiction. So far the only sign of symptoms I have heard about this drug addiction are that he had a hard time with interviews, and has a skinny fiancee (who constantly is working out and running) that must do coke because she looks like she does? Once again.

If I am far off on my assumptions because he looks and is healthy, seems very happy with his relationship, seems very happy with his family life, seems like an upbeat guy, is ranked 15th in the world, 4th in the Fed Ex Cup, 5th in Ryder Cup, and has performed his job that is as challenging both physically and mentally as well as he has this year? That's fine, but to me its not hard to see why I would lean more towards it being more a failed test from recreational use rather than a full blown drug addiction..

TM M1 460 8.5* Matrix 6m3
TM AeroBurner TP 3w Matrix 7m3
TM AB TP rescue 19 degree
TM Tour Preferred MC/MB Irons KBS CTaper
TM Tour Preferred EF wedges 47 54 60*
Scotty Cameron GoLo

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone think that maybe Natalie Gulbis went Fatal Attraction on him? And that he's tied up in a room somewhere , and she sent out an email pretending to be him saying he needed to go on leave? Like when he got home him he found out his bunny was boiled, then she smacked him with something, and now she's like "you're going to love me Dustin, just give it time"

don't rule it out man, i just watched "kiss the girls" too, this is totally in play

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Heard through a few tour sources that Dustin's back injury a year or so ago wasn't actually a back injury, but a failed drug test and suspension. Second failed drug test.....longer suspension and rehab. Could just be speculation on their part, and mine I guess, but I doubt it.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1406853538' post='9828475']
anyone think that maybe Natalie Gulbis went Fatal Attraction on him? And that he's tied up in a room somewhere , and she sent out an email pretending to be him saying he needed to go on leave? Like when he got home him he found out his bunny was boiled, then she smacked him with something, and now she's like "you're going to love me Dustin, just give it time"

don't rule it out man, i just watched "kiss the girls" too, this is totally in play
[/quote]

Kiss The Girls was a great book. The movie was OK. I am thinking you might be off base but anything is possible with these crazy LPGA gals!

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='dirthead' timestamp='1406853576' post='9828477']Heard through a few tour sources that Dustin's back injury a year or so ago wasn't actually a back injury, but a failed drug test and suspension. Second failed drug test.....longer suspension and rehab. Could just be speculation on their part, and mine I guess, but I doubt it.[/quote]

I heard the same thing...in this thread...several times.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

[quote name='putts4bogey' timestamp='1406843401' post='9827269']
I had to move away from the area to get over my addiction to NC-style BBQ. Now, even years later, I still sometimes get the jones for that pulled pork goodness.
[/quote]
Think how bad it is for those of us around the good stuff (KC).

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1406853876' post='9828507']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1406853538' post='9828475']

[/quote]

Kiss The Girls was a great book. The movie was OK. I am thinking you might be off base but anything is possible with these crazy LPGA gals!
[/quote]

we will know for sure if Natalie starts injecting herself into the investigation like that terrible acting Cary Elwes. That will be the telltale sign

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

To summarize this thread:

Marijuana is NOT addictive.
Moon Pies are NOT addictive.
Cheese is addictive and cheeseburgers are MORE addictive.
DJ is in rehab for a coke addiction and NOT a sex addiction.
Cocaine is addictive.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

Pain killers all day. You can quit coke tonight and get on with your life tomorrow. I stopped reading after page 3 when I saw that people started saying marijuana is addictive and leads to crime I pretty much threw up on my keyboard.

My mom is 71, smokes pot every night and doesn't rob convenient stores.

I know way too many people that have progressed from pain killers to heroin once they run out of money which is what leads to crime. Had a friend spending $2k/day on pain killers, couldn't keep that going for much more than 2 months before he started stealing everything he could. Then comes heroin. Just had another friend pass last week. Pain killers are no joke. I have at least 10 very unfortunate examples from the past 2 years...its a very common story. I'm sure some mid-west people have some similar meth examples but I doubt Dustin Johnson went that way.

How do people know anything about Paulina Gretzky? All I know about her is her father is the great one and she's seriously overrated in the looks department. Does she have a job or something?

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

Cheese is addictive? You mean the stuff made from milk, or Ms. Piller?

Seriously, though. I wish him all the best. It sounds like he has one or more serious issues. He's still a very young man (especially compared to me), and hopefully has a long life ahead of him. Golf should not be his primary concern - learning to live life in a positive way should be his biggest concern.

I'm rooting for him.

[quote name='27x10.5' timestamp='1406854666' post='9828587']
Pain killers all day. You can quit coke tonight and get on with your life tomorrow. I stopped reading after page 3 when I saw that people started saying marijuana is addictive and leads to crime I pretty much threw up on my keyboard.

My mom is 71, smokes pot every night and doesn't rob convenient stores.

I know way too many people that have progressed from pain killers to heroin once they run out of money which is what leads to crime. Had a friend spending $2k/day on pain killers, couldn't keep that going for much more than 2 months before he started stealing everything he could. Then comes heroin. Just had another friend pass last week. Pain killers are no joke. I have at least 10 very unfortunate examples from the past 2 years...its a very common story. I'm sure some mid-west people have some similar meth examples but I doubt Dustin Johnson went that way.
[/quote]

I have to agree with this. He has had some injuries that would have given him access to major pain meds. You get used to the meds and all of a sudden you can be addicted to them.

As for the non addictive argument, anything can be addictive. I bet some people on this website are truly addicted to golf. There are people who are addicted to video games. When you do something often enough that your body enjoys your mind craves and expects it. When you take that away your body will react negatively. All chemicals do is make this natural reaction worse.

New thread needs to be started . This is just a waste if time . A debate about whether thc is addictive or not and if it is PGs fault

There is not one shred of evidence in this thread that DJ has a coke addiction . Give the guy a break ! I know he has a sketchy past but c'mon guys , how often are there rumours about celebrities and drug use ? Albeit a lot of them are true , there is no factual evidence against him . I HEARD that...... , a tour contact TOLD me that..... etc . I like DJ and his style of playing and hope that whatever his problem is , this break will cure it

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1406842772' post='9827153']
[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1406841731' post='9826987']
[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1406840262' post='9826793']
I'm amazed at the people which say THC isn't addictive. Alcohol, chewing tobacco, cocaine, cigarettes, heroin, soda can all be addictive to some people. But not THC. That's all natural goodness right there. Can't be addicted to it no Sir.

REALLY???
[/quote]

Please do some research or at least look up the formal definition of addiction before you pull your hair out in disbelieve.

There is a huge difference between physical addiction and habit formation.

Some poor SOB might drink 5 liters of cola a day for 20 years, then one day tell himself to cut it out, He will be able to do it, without his body shutting down and going into withdrawal. Same goes for THC. Ultimately it will come from from mental fortitude.

The same cannot be said about the other physically addictive substances you listed.
[/quote]

No. Even the leading Marijuana advocates say that THC can be addictive. The physical withdrawals are just mild compared with other drugs. Go check out the homeless shelters in Denver and see the markedly increase in teenagers there. Tell me how great marijuana is.

We get it. You like to smoke weed. You're not addicted. I don't care.
[/quote]

I actually do not, I just dont buy all the voodoo that the government has been spewing for decades and took the time to research it.

We get it, you believe what is spoon fed to you buy the media, no biggie

[quote name='Oldboy' timestamp='1406840824' post='9826867']
And since we seem to be relying on anecdotal evidence .. ask a cop if he'd rather be dealing with or trying to arrest a stoner or a drunk ..
[/quote]

Here's one cop's opinion: I put them on the same pedestal and would rather not deal with either of them. And as far as arresting them, I've seen both fight, act stupid, lie, be extremely dangerous, etc.

The difference in the two is potheads are noticeably dumber pretty much 24/7, even when they're not stoned, while a drunk can function anytime they're not drunk and act "normal".

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

No touring pro would go into rehap voluntarily on the eve of the PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup. Certainly, without a doubt, this is a PGATour suspension for a failed drug test, and probably 2nd offense, meaning an extended suspension. The big questions are whether he is going into rehab immediately and if so, whether he is going in voluntarily with a true commitment to beat whatever demons he is facing. I certainly hope so. Anchored putting may be banned before we see him play on tour again.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

Funny, I did coke for years as an old school commercial fisherman in the Pacific. I was never nearly addicted to that as I am to smoking, alcohol and golf.

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1406854575' post='9828575']
There are 516 people following this topic.....
[/quote]

And millions of people watch the Kardashians, so what's your point?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1406856556' post='9828819']
[quote name='Oldboy' timestamp='1406840824' post='9826867']
And since we seem to be relying on anecdotal evidence .. ask a cop if he'd rather be dealing with or trying to arrest a stoner or a drunk ..
[/quote]

Here's one cop's opinion: I put them on the same pedestal and would rather not deal with either of them. And as far as arresting them,[b] I've seen both fight, act stupid, lie, be extremely dangerous, etc.[/b]
[/quote]

Which can probably be said about most degenerate criminals.