2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Dustin Johnson...Leave of absence from golf ..Any news? (MERGED)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1406845182' post='9827549']
Always thought that something was "off" with Dustin in the past year or two. When he speaks, he just doesn't seem normal. His speech is often not clear and his behavior is just odd.

With this news, I'm guessing it was some sort of drug or alcohol problem.
[/quote]

Are you kidding me with this? Were you able to tell TW had a sex problem?

If it wasnt for golf this guy would be flipping burgers some where.
Its a legitimate fact that this is another drup related suspension by the PGA Tour. I cant stand that the tour will not make this infor public as they do in every other sport.
V Singh called out DJ in his lawsuit against the tour, for good reason becuase everyone knew what he did, but the tour will only announce suspensions when its "performance related".

the guy is a complete joke

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1406847669' post='9827803']
Always thought that something was "off" with Dustin in the past year or two. When he speaks, he just doesn't seem normal. His speech is often not clear and his behavior is just odd.

[/quote]

[/quote]

No because sex usually isn't like some drugs that can change brain functions and affect speech and behavior.

Not saying his speech or behavior was definitely a result of his "problem," but I don't remember him always acting like that...it seemed to have gotten worse recently. So I would not be surprised if it was a result of a deep problem he had gotten himself into.

Hoping he comes out of this completely clean and focused on golf. He has incredible talent and it would be a shame if he wasn't able to maximize his success.

A lot of interesting theories and speculation going on here.. Just looking at Dustin Johnson and how things are going in his career and life, its hard to believe he has a serious addiction to cocaine. Sure it's possible, but everything is at this point. He looks healthy, has played well, is engaged, things seem to be going well in his life, and he seems happy... Sure, he could do it occasionally, could have got popped for it, and is forced to go to rehab. Or it just could be that he does smoke in his off time to calm his nerves, help him sleep, relax and put a stressful tournament behind him, whatever the reason may be. Maybe he does smoke in his spare time, he failed a test, and now is forced to take leave from the tour and go into a drug rehab for it simply because he failed a test. Does his game, attitude, or life really look like someone that actually needs serious rehab? I get it, Paulina is a rich hot blonde party girl. Dustin looks and acts like a stoner. If people say so. But she is also somewhat of a health and fitness freak as well.. Look at DJ.. dude takes care of himself and is one of the players on tour always working to strengthen his body and stay in shape. It just doesnt sound to me like these two are hardcore drug users addicted to cocaine and partying. Yeah, they look like they are enjoying life and doing what people with money their age should do. Going on boats, vacations, golfing, and taking pictures of them having fun.

If it does end up being that he smokes in his free time and was busted for that, well it obviously it is his fault that it has interfered with his career and profession. But it doesn't make him some horrible person, someone that we should judge or be ashamed of. I know opinions will always vary on this matter, especially depending on the state and laws you live around, but where I am from a lot of people are marijuana users.. And that majority of the ones I know hold high up jobs with very successful careers making 80k-300k a year, great family life, nicest people you would meet, and if you didnt know them, would have no idea they took part in that in their spare time. Some people drink, others commit actual crimes, some people cheat, some people break or throw clubs. People do things to cope with life. Yeah pot use is illegal, I get that, but so is speeding. The difference is speeding puts other peoples lives in danger including your own.

Humans aren't perfect and who knows what he really has done. It could be way worse than I personally think, but in the end from everything I have seen, witnessed,and heard, he's a really nice guy, fun to watch play, and is good for the game of golf . So if he hasn't done anything too severe, or something that really does warrant him being banished from the tour, lets hope he recovers from all of this, gets his mind right, and gets back to playing his best.

TM M1 460 8.5* Matrix 6m3
TM AeroBurner TP 3w Matrix 7m3
TM AB TP rescue 19 degree
TM Tour Preferred MC/MB Irons KBS CTaper
TM Tour Preferred EF wedges 47 54 60*
Scotty Cameron GoLo

I know that Paulina has had an addiction with cocaine, probably how she keeps her figure.

Hell maybe I should try it, losing a few more lbs wouldn't hurt. ;)

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[/quote]

His speech doesn't seem normal? That makes you think he's got a drug problem? Dustin's never been known to wax eloquent...

perhaps the oddity is his WGC win at the start of the season - well odd for a huge Tiger fan (sorry, couldn't resist)

Hope DJ beats the demons...we all have 'em to some extent.

All Ping...tastefully done!
Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer Tour or Craz-e-Lite Stand Bag
Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1406847949' post='9827843']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1406847669' post='9827803']

[/quote]

[/quote]

No because [b]sex usually isn't like some drugs that can change brain functions and affect speech and behavior.[/b]

[/quote]

Well, depending on how good the dose is, it certainly changes my brain functions and affects my speech and behavior.

What Is and What Should Never Be

[quote name='rjpvette' timestamp='1406849236' post='9827961']
A lot of interesting theories and speculation going on here.. Just looking at Dustin Johnson and how things are going in his career and life, its hard to believe he has a serious addiction to cocaine. Sure it's possible, but everything is at this point. He looks healthy, has played well, is engaged, things seem to be going well in his life, and he seems happy... Sure, he could do it occasionally, could have got popped for it, and is forced to go to rehab. Or it just could be that he does smoke in his off time to calm his nerves, help him sleep, relax and put a stressful tournament behind him, whatever the reason may be. Maybe he does smoke in his spare time, he failed a test, and now is forced to take leave from the tour and go into a drug rehab for it simply because he failed a test. Does his game, attitude, or life really look like someone that actually needs serious rehab? I get it, Paulina is a rich hot blonde party girl. Dustin looks and acts like a stoner. If people say so. But she is also somewhat of a health and fitness freak as well.. Look at DJ.. dude takes care of himself and is one of the players on tour always working to strengthen his body and stay in shape. It just doesnt sound to me like these two are hardcore drug users addicted to cocaine and partying. Yeah, they look like they are enjoying life and doing what people with money their age should do. Going on boats, vacations, golfing, and taking pictures of them having fun.

If it does end up being that he smokes in his free time and was busted for that, well it obviously it is his fault that it has interfered with his career and profession. But it doesn't make him some horrible person, someone that we should judge or be ashamed of. I know opinions will always vary on this matter, especially depending on the state and laws you live around, but where I am from a lot of people are marijuana users.. And that majority of the ones I know hold high up jobs with very successful careers making 80k-300k a year, great family life, nicest people you would meet, and if you didnt know them, would have no idea they took part in that in their spare time. Some people drink, others commit actual crimes, some people cheat, some people break or throw clubs. People do things to cope with life. Yeah pot use is illegal, I get that, but so is speeding. The difference is speeding puts other peoples lives in danger including your own.

Humans aren't perfect and who knows what he really has done. It could be way worse than I personally think, but in the end from everything I have seen, witnessed,and heard, he's a really nice guy, fun to watch play, and is good for the game of golf . So if he hasn't done anything too severe, or something that really does warrant him being banished from the tour, lets hope he recovers from all of this, gets his mind right, and gets back to playing his best.
[/quote]

I don't know why he's suspended, but you're pretty far off in your assumptions. Addicts are very good at hiding their addictions. You might have a vision a what a drug addict looks like, but that usually the addicts who don't have the money to support their habits. Someone with a ton of money can support their habit, so they look put together, but behind closed doors they can be living a completely different life.

Jesus took me forever to read through this thread! I wanted to read people who have heard rumors or have an inside source not have to weed through a ridiculous side argument. (Pardon the pun)

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I've enjoyed watching Dj play and love the job he does on the long ball.

That said, I had no idea about the past for him. The momentum of your youth is a difficult thing to overcome, possible just difficult. With all the bling that DJ has and the party fans that follow someone like him around, I hope he can break those ties and come back clean.

He has some great talent and I hope he doesn't John Daly it.

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1406838270' post='9826451']
[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1406837788' post='9826355']
[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1406837695' post='9826331']
What a shocker!

Guy looks like the poster child for THC use.

What a waste of talent.
[/quote]

Yeah since THC is addictive and all and normally requires intensive rehab...
[/quote]

And I suppose alcohol isn't addictive either?

Johnson always looked like a stoner. People who smoke marijuana can be led into harder drugs or a combination. I know a Guy which almost killed two people in a robbery and tried to kill two cops. His defense was that he was addicted to marijuana.
[/quote]

Pot doesnt lead you to do bad stuff, and alcohol is more of a gateway drug, plain and simple.

[quote name='Man_O_War' timestamp='1406836851' post='9826173']
Jason Sobel sent out statement from Johnson on immediate leave of absence from golf... wazzup?
[/quote]

He need to get as far away from that fiance that he is engaged to as he possibly can. She is nothing but trouble. Would not surprise me if she OD'ed.

[quote name='Redhill' timestamp='1406850132' post='9828057']
I've enjoyed watching Dj play and love the job he does on the long ball.

That said, I had no idea about the past for him. The momentum of your youth is a difficult thing to overcome, possible just difficult. With all the bling that DJ has and the party fans that follow someone like him around, I hope he can break those ties and come back clean.

He has some great talent and I hope he doesn't John Daly it.
[/quote]

Looks done to me.

Maybe see him is 5 years, smoking 1000 butts, 350lbs and giving motivational speeches.

[quote name='PJ72' timestamp='1406843638' post='9827305'][quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1406840363' post='9826803']
[quote name='mattj' timestamp='1406840180' post='9826785']
I work in juvenile probation. For some marijuana is absolutely addictive. It is especially damaging to frontal lobe development in adolescents. Having said that it certainly does not rise to the addictive level of other drugs such as cocaine, methamphetamine or heroin for many that imbibe. It also does not have the negative impact in terms of social costs that alcohol has. The research is also mixed on the "gateway" aspect of marijuana use. Certainly some go on to abuse other more addictive drugs others dont. If Dustin started smoking marijuana as an adolescent and it became a pattern of daily use I can guarantee you that it had a negative impact. Addiction is not a laughing matter regardless of the drug of choice. If we are talking about an addiction problem with Dustin I hope he gets the help he needs.
[/quote]

the part about smoking as an adolescent is one thing, and the way it effects a brain that is still growing is certainly real, but I would like to see any factual data from any study posted here saying weed is physically addictive to adults. if you find one, check the source, it's probably not very sound.
[/quote]

Utter nonsense!

If it wasn't addictive people wouldn't smoke it every day and struggle to NOT smoke it every day. End of discussion.[/quote]

In that case what is the difference from someone who drinks coffee everyday?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1406843595' post='9827291']
[quote name='putts4bogey' timestamp='1406843401' post='9827269']
I had to move away from the area to get over my addiction to NC-style BBQ. Now, even years later, I still sometimes get the jones for that pulled pork goodness.
[/quote]

I sympathize with you sir.
[/quote]

Me,too. I feel guilty, though, when I think about that big ol' pulled pork sandwich I had for lunch today.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58