No new acquistions...?

12 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

The zip file doesn't have the specs, but a spreadsheet that someone was compiling *does*.  Woo!

It doesn't paste wonderfully, but here they are.  Lie, loft, and length specs for the 1970 1+ set:

2i - 56.5º    19.5º    39.25    

3i - 57.5º    23º    38.75    

4i - 58.5º    26.5º    38.25    

5i - 59.5º    30º    37.75    

6i - 60.5º    33.5º    37.25    

7i - 61.5º    36.5º    36.75    

8i - 62º    41º    36.25    

9i - 62.5º    45º    35.75    

Eq - 64º    51.5º    35.5

Awesome thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 4:59 PM, FloggingOkie said:

the bag turned out to be a Belding bushwacker

those were mighty nice carry bags . sturdy, well balanced. 

one of my first 'lightweight' bags was a single strapper BB that you either leaned against something or laid on the ground.

almost indestructible.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

So the best way to make great finds is to swear off buying so many old clubs. Another cool cheap find. Nice long set of Spalding Executive irons 2 thru 5 with the pw, and a Powerbilt Weedeater. All are in solid shape I paid $14. I'm assuming the weedeater is like a ginty, does anyone have info about the Spaldings?

20230429_155728.jpg

20230429_155744.jpg

20230429_185632.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, FloggingOkie said:

So the best way to make great finds is to swear off buying so many old clubs. Another cool cheap find. Nice long set of Spalding Executive irons 2 thru 5 with the pw, and a Powerbilt Weedeater. All are in solid shape I paid $14. I'm assuming the weedeater is like a ginty, does anyone have info about the Spaldings?

20230429_155728.jpg

20230429_155744.jpg

20230429_185632.jpg

20230429_185659.jpg

1 hour ago, FloggingOkie said:

20230429_155728.jpg

20230429_155744.jpg

20230429_185632.jpg

1965 for the Executives.  They were sold in the pro catalog and were priced slightly less than the Top Flite Professionals.

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

11 hours ago, bcstones said:

Had almost forgotten about this putter (there is a posting on this forum in the putter section from 8 years ago, however, far too much silliness  & little focus on the actual putter) - yup, Golfsmith's USS Enterprise NCC-1701 putter, designed by Jeff Sheets. I bought it back when it came out circa 2007ish...practice putted with it, was fun. Hate the Winn grip, now beginning to deteriorate (anybody got a fix for Winn grips as they start to go)...the handle also is USS Enterprise themed. The cover for the putter was called it's "Docking Station" 🤣
Not sure when I got ahold of the boxed putter head...thrift store or flea market, for sure. 

Here's what Jeff Sheets wrote on his website:

Material/Mfg: 100% CNC Milled Aluminum Body, 17-4 Stainless Steel Nacelles, Urethane Face
Introduction: 2007

When the Enterprise putter was introduced many thought it was a novelty prop. It was in fact the result of a high moment of inertia (MOI) study. My good friend Guerin Rife had introduced a putter model called the Two-Bar. I was discussing the design with a co-worker and stated if we took his two alignment bars and expanded them to the heel and toe the MOI would increase dramatically. Following a quick pencil sketch the concept of the Enterprise putter was born. It is the highest MOI putter reading I have run across to date. Originally labeled with a different name it was fondly referred to as the “Enterprise” during its development. While obtaining licensing rights to the U.S.S. Enterprise name was a cinch there were much bigger challenges getting U.S.G.A. approval due to the novelty look of its namesake. With that finally resolved the U.S.S. Enterprise putter (also known as NCC-1701) went to market in both standard and limited edition versions. Beam me to the hole Scotty!

NCC:p.jpg

NCC:p#2.jpg

Bizarrely cool, I really like it and I was never a Treky till the most recent movie series. High MOI putters are great to use when your regular putter needs a time out. 

As far as the Winns my recent experience is once they start deteriorating they are gone just like the iron grips. Putter i picked up had a blue oversized Winn on it that was older, looked worn and dirty. Tried washing it like I do with all my clubs after a round and the top skin layer just came off like an old sunburn. Was ugly but still useable I guess. I never put any time into at that point cuz I wanted a different grip. I don’t know if it could be stripped down to a point that your not getting it all over your hands every time you touch it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bcstones said:

Had almost forgotten about this putter (there is a posting on this forum in the putter section from 8 years ago, however, far too much silliness  & little focus on the actual putter) - yup, Golfsmith's USS Enterprise NCC-1701 putter, designed by Jeff Sheets. I bought it back when it came out circa 2007ish...practice putted with it, was fun. Hate the Winn grip, now beginning to deteriorate (anybody got a fix for Winn grips as they start to go)...the handle also is USS Enterprise themed. The cover for the putter was called it's "Docking Station" 🤣
Not sure when I got ahold of the boxed putter head...thrift store or flea market, for sure. 

To echo @ezgoer, I found once Winn grips start going, they're gone! I haven't used one for several years, though, as the last time I bought one for a putter, it started deteriorating very quickly, and was soon unusable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bcstones said:

Material/Mfg: 100% CNC Milled Aluminum Body, 17-4 Stainless Steel Nacelles, Urethane Face

When the Enterprise putter was introduced many thought it was a novelty prop. It was in fact the result of a high moment of inertia (MOI) study. My good friend Guerin Rife had introduced a putter model called the Two-Bar. I was discussing the design with a co-worker and stated if we took his two alignment bars and expanded them to the heel and toe the MOI would increase dramatically. Following a quick pencil sketch the concept of the Enterprise putter was born. It is the highest MOI putter reading I have run across to date. Originally labeled with a different name it was fondly referred to as the “Enterprise” during its development. While obtaining licensing rights to the U.S.S. Enterprise name was a cinch there were much bigger challenges getting U.S.G.A. approval due to the novelty look of its namesake. With that finally resolved the U.S.S. Enterprise putter (also known as NCC-1701) went to market in both standard and limited edition versions. Beam me to the hole Scotty!

@bcstones I used Tennis Overgrips over a Super Stroke (or Winn), to get a bit of extra usage for the times i like the specific Super Stroke shape (e.g. a Tour 1.0 pistol)   

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips on Winn grips....usually I avoid them, SuperStrokes also. I don't use the Enterprise putter much, I prefer my old H&B blade.  I guess I just wish to preserve the original grip for awhile longer. I also repair/build fishing rods & Winn has been making grips for fishing rods for a number of years. Either they are using something a wee bit different....or MudHole (where I purchase my stuff) might have an idea of coating.
Anyway, the putter is interesting & it takes a bit of getting used to w/it's weight

4 hours ago, bcstones said:

Thanks for the tips on Winn grips....usually I avoid them, SuperStrokes also. I don't use the Enterprise putter much, I prefer my old H&B blade.  I guess I just wish to preserve the original grip for awhile longer. I also repair/build fishing rods & Winn has been making grips for fishing rods for a number of years. Either they are using something a wee bit different....or MudHole (where I purchase my stuff) might have an idea of coating.
Anyway, the putter is interesting & it takes a bit of getting used to w/it's weight

Here's another idea for you on the grip for the "Enterprise".  If you could duplicate the artwork on it... you could go with one of these:

http://www.crystalcleargrip.com/

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

36 minutes ago, Bigarch said:

Here's another idea for you on the grip for the "Enterprise".  If you could duplicate the artwork on it... you could go with one of these:

http://www.crystalcleargrip.com/

Thanks...what a site! I'll get in touch w/them and ask what they actually need...or if they need to get permission from Paramount.

Now I wish they'd make a crystal sheet to use on pyratone covered shafts (I've got a set of Walter Hagen yellow pyratone irons where the slits are just beginning...and the heads are in perfect condition).

On 4/29/2023 at 11:15 AM, bcstones said:

awesome, I remember when they were seling those and had them on clearance becasue they were going out of business, I took to o long to try to get mine, they were sold out by the time I called

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weakputt said:

Allied - Hookless all leather stove pipe bag.

5" opening and in great shape for a hundred year old bag.

Patent dates are 1919 & 1925.

Built in rain hood and all zippers work. No flaws.

IMG_4906.jpeg

We call them rain hoods these days but the early ones are more in the way of travel hoods, they're there to allow the bag to be put on a train or such with the hood done up to prevent the clubs from falling out.

I have a bag similar to this where the hood is inside the bag and when it's up, any rain would be channeled down into the bag, which is why I think they were intended as travel hoods.

• Like 4

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

On 5/2/2023 at 5:55 PM, Jiggered said:

We call them rain hoods these days but the early ones are more in the way of travel hoods, they're there to allow the bag to be put on a train or such with the hood done up to prevent the clubs from falling out.

I have a bag similar to this where the hood is inside the bag and when it's up, any rain would be channeled down into the bag, which is why I think they were intended as travel hoods.

Very interesting history, thanks.

• Like 1

PGA Burke Ryder cup 2-9 irons, with Contro-Matic shafts.  According to the Kaplan book these are 1960 and featured black faces.  The faces had some rust so I gave them a vinegar soak and scrub and the faces now seem less black and more battleship grey.  Assuming this model was a reaction to the Macgregor CF4000’s that first appeared in 1959? Curious if anyone knows how they created they black face on these clubs?  Assuming it was some sort of enamel coating but really have no idea.  I think they still look really sharp with the dark grey faces.  

IMG_6371.jpeg

IMG_6374.jpeg

IMG_6375.jpeg

IMG_6373.jpeg

• Like 4

think you meant Maltby's guide....it does show a "blackened face" sans explaination...and the CF4000 came out in '59. I just checked a well used CF4000 & it looks like the blackened face wore off to just copper....I don't think copper tarnishes to 'grey' tho....I wonder if they were forged aluminum/bronze, tho Maltby's shows head as forged carbon steel....
Nice set of clubs, I've got some Ryder Cup irons in storage...but they don't mention Burke or Punchiron or Punch, which put's them post 1963...

Good luck on history of what the blackened face was.....have fun playing them

• Like 1

Came across these - Power-Bilt Thoroughbredbirons, 2 thru SW...figuring 1976 cuz, according to Kaplan's,  the shafts are TT Dynamic (R) which were first used in '76. Grips are Golf Pride Pro Only....some ok, but eventually need replacement.Gotta love the horseshoes on the face

PB:T#1.jpg

PB:T#2.jpg

PB:T#3.jpg

Edited by bcstones