2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

I was reading on Nippon shafts and I was looking for a bit of help. I'm 6'2" and like playing all my irons at +1". I'm currently using X100 to combat spin and high launch but they're just so heavy that I feel like I chop at the ball and actually spin it more and launch it higher. I do not feel like I can load these shafts even at around 90mph with a 6 iron. I was looking at potentially the Modus 120 in either stiff or X. I really like to feel a shaft kick through impact and I hear these play soft but have a very firm tip. Im curious as to what you guys would recommend?

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper (1° weak)

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F (51°), 56F, 60M (59°)

LAB Link

Jones Rover Stand Jet Black

It's been a little bit, but for those that the modus wedge 125s in play how are you liking them? Not sure if I want to switch to those or keep my TI S400s in play. I'm switching my iron shafts to modus 125X. Gonna put the iron 125X in the GW, but not sure on the 54 and 58. Shed some light on it for me!! Thanks

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

I love the modus 120x in my Srixon 945. You can really feel the kick but doesn't spin too much or balloon at all. Kind of like a KBS feel with project X traj (for me). Feels soft because of the kick but isn't, SMOOTH as silk not soft. Favorite shaft I've ever hit and I've used them all, put the same shaft in hogan ft. Worth wedges and it's just great. Highly recommended.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Ive been hitting my modus 130X for several weeks now on my home range... but haven't had them on course until today.. Wow is all I can say.... the most accurate iron shaft ive ever played.. exactly as described above..smooth as KBS but with the control and trajectory of px 6.5 7.0.... a club longer with everything and long irons launch quick and just seem to fly forever.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Ive been hitting my modus 130X for several weeks now on my home range... but haven't had them on course until today.. Wow is all I can say.... the most accurate iron shaft ive ever played.. exactly as described above..smooth as KBS but with the control and trajectory of px 6.5 7.0.... a club longer with everything and long irons launch quick and just seem to fly forever.

Great to hear, I have a set of irons with the 130x on the way as well. What shafts were you playing prior? Any previous experience with the 120 or 125?

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Nope first Nippon I have hit. For most of my life I've played satin px 6.5 and recently 7.0. Also recently built a set and traded then with Kbs tour v 125x hardstepped once. They were pretty good dispersion wise and smooth. But the nippons are much tighter and I like the extra weight. I have a very late release which is why px fit me so well. The 130x feels like it kicks the same but yet isn't harsh. If that makes sense v

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I was reading on Nippon shafts and I was looking for a bit of help. I'm 6'2" and like playing all my irons at +1". I'm currently using X100 to combat spin and high launch but they're just so heavy that I feel like I chop at the ball and actually spin it more and launch it higher. I do not feel like I can load these shafts even at around 90mph with a 6 iron. I was looking at potentially the Modus 120 in either stiff or X. I really like to feel a shaft kick through impact and I hear these play soft but have a very firm tip. Im curious as to what you guys would recommend?

Coming from X100 I'd say 120X should feel smooth but still have enough stiffness in the midsection/tip to help combat that spin issue. Should be no problem to load them, the butt is on the softer side. May have to slow down your transition if it's harsh at all.

Usually an overstiff shaft will actually make irons launch higher than intended. You simply can't load the shaft and at impact the true loft takes over and launches high. Have you hit DG S300 or S400 before? results with those? Maybe low rising, like low balloons?

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Coming from X100 I'd say 120X should feel smooth but still have enough stiffness in the midsection/tip to help combat that spin issue. Should be no problem to load them, the butt is on the softer side. May have to slow down your transition if it's harsh at all.

Usually an overstiff shaft will actually make irons launch higher than intended. You simply can't load the shaft and at impact the true loft takes over and launches high. Have you hit DG S300 or S400 before? results with those? Maybe low rising, like low balloons?

That makes a lot of sense. What wedge shafts would go with SPBs?

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

Nope first Nippon I have hit. For most of my life I've played satin px 6.5 and recently 7.0. Also recently built a set and traded then with Kbs tour v 125x hardstepped once. They were pretty good dispersion wise and smooth. But the nippons are much tighter and I like the extra weight. I have a very late release which is why px fit me so well. The 130x feels like it kicks the same but yet isn't harsh. If that makes sense v

It's hard to find something as harsh as PX 7.0 :)

Anyone else playing Nippon Prototype's? Im currently gaming the ORA version. Really enjoying the feel and kick.

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TITLEIST TSR1 - 20 - MMTHybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM10 Raw 48F/53F/58T- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / SWAG Redrum

I didn't hit very many shots but I did hit a few. My initial thoughts between the 125x and 130x ss...

Keep in mind, they are both x flex shafts. 125x feels more flexible than 130x ss. 125x flexes more in the mid section, where the 130 flexes more closer to the tip. 125x has more meat on the tip section, so on mis hits, 125x I thought felt more harsh that 130x ss. 130x ss does feel firm, but i feel like i know where the club is better with out it bending as much. I didn't have a monitor, but plan to do some on course testing next...I am leaning towards the 130x ss at this point is better for me, but more to come if I can ever get out on the course and play...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I didn't hit very many shots but I did hit a few. My initial thoughts between the 125x and 130x ss...

Keep in mind, they are both x flex shafts. 125x feels more flexible than 130x ss. 125x flexes more in the mid section, where the 130 flexes more closer to the tip. 125x has more meat on the tip section, so on mis hits, 125x I thought felt more harsh that 130x ss. 130x ss does feel firm, but i feel like i know where the club is better with out it bending as much. I didn't have a monitor, but plan to do some on course testing next...I am leaning towards the 130x ss at this point is better for me, but more to come if I can ever get out on the course and play...

Very intrigued by your initial impressions here. I am currently making the switch from 125x to 130x ss, but have not yet hit the 130. Were there any noticeable differences in ball flight and dispersion for you right off the bat?

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Anyone play the x flex in irons (120x) and stiff in everything else?

That would make sense to me. 120x I think are a flex weak...kinda funny, 125 are probably closer to on flex, and 130 is stiffer than flex.... in my experience...

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

Very intrigued by your initial impressions here. I am currently making the switch from 125x to 130x ss, but have not yet hit the 130. Were there any noticeable differences in ball flight and dispersion for you right off the bat?

Not fair to make a call on that yet, need more reps, and my shots were with a wicked cross wind. Which is why I posted more on the feel...I do think the 130 is better dispersion. Trajectory tbd...but I think 125 is a hair lower with slightly more spin and 130 was a little higher with less spin. Both are in a good Traj range, it's not like the 125 is too low or the 130 is too high. I will have to go out at my normal yardage and hit marked prov1x balls for each and make additional comments...thanks.

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

Ok Mark, so with this info how about going with some wedges with the 105T in my wedges to match up with my 1050 stiff in my irons to resemble the closest match? Do you think XS with the 105T in the wedges or just stay with the S?

Thanks a bunch

I was playing the 105T stiff in my irons for a few years before going to Titleist for a fitting. At the fitting, we decided that it was time for me to go to 105T in regular. I then hit some wedges, and the 105T in a Vokey TVD M-grind was the real ticket - regular shaft. That has made a big difference in my wedge game, both in full shots and short stuff around the green.

I just wanted to share my experience. Picking up a Vokey with a 105T in stiff might be a great idea for you. Yes, it will play a bit softer in the tip than a Dynamic, but there have been some great wedge players who have played softer shafts in their wedges. Lee Trevino comes to mind, and Ben Hogan might have been another.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

That would make sense to me. 120x I think are a flex weak...kinda funny, 125 are probably closer to on flex, and 130 is stiffer than flex.... in my experience...

I hear a lot that the 120 plays weak to flex, but I wonder, is this backed by CPM measurements, or is it just an impression based on feel? I played X100 for years (and was able to handle it without an issue), and switched last year to Modus 120x, and I have not seen any negative impact on performance that would normally be associated with playing a shaft that's not stiff enough. The feel is definitely very smooth, because it is much stiffer in the tip than in the handle. This compared to the 130, which is very butt stiff, which makes it feel a lot stiffer in the handle.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

That makes a lot of sense. What wedge shafts would go with SPBs?

The original WV 125 seems to be the most popular for SPB users, I also like the Tour125 iron 37" shaft as it helps keep spin down a little better than the Modus Wedge 125. Depends what you want. I like lower spin in my 52 and more spin in my 56 so for someone like me you could try a WV or Tour125 in the 52 and a Modus Wedge in the 56. Or if you like that solid/muted feel of the SPB, and you want lower spin and no ballooning, just WV125 throughout.

I hear a lot that the 120 plays weak to flex, but I wonder, is this backed by CPM measurements, or is it just an impression based on feel? I played X100 for years (and was able to handle it without an issue), and switched last year to Modus 120x, and I have not seen any negative impact on performance that would normally be associated with playing a shaft that's not stiff enough. The feel is definitely very smooth, because it is much stiffer in the tip than in the handle. This compared to the 130, which is very butt stiff, which makes it feel a lot stiffer in the handle.

This. 120X cycles out to a true X based on how firm the middle and tip sections are. The soft butt filters it all out and makes it feel soft.

Anyone else playing Nippon Prototype's? Im currently gaming the ORA version. Really enjoying the feel and kick.

I still have some ORA X's and have hit most of the other proto's. 3 of the proto's turned into the retail models. 2G18 - 130, DP - 120, ST Proto - Tour103. So far my favorite prototypes are the C10S and ORA X. C10S is like a premium S400 and ORA X is like lower spinning X100. (Paul Casey still uses it I believe.) ORA is a bit firmer feeling than Tour125 and I like the feel/kick of the 125 so that is my gamer right now. Never did hit the 2T15, would have been interested in trying that one. I have a different new set I'm going to try soon if I can get some decent heads for them

They had some new proto's at the PGA demo day but my lips are sealed. I'm excited for those to progress further. Could be a new potential gamer in the future. And something I think will be a huge hit with the mass market. I don't see Nippon slowing down anytime soon. Lots of folks dropped by the demo day to hit their shafts. Pro's & Mini tour players trying out stuff. Amazing to see some +5 handi type guys trying out 130X and then 105X and then 120TX. See the flight patterns and the dispersion. Pretty cool to watch.

This. 120X cycles out to a true X based on how firm the middle and tip sections are. The soft butt filters it all out and makes it feel soft.

Okay, thanks. So if that's true, the advice I often see to go up a flex compared to other shafts, wouldn't that generally be detrimental to those players? I'd think a 120x for a player who should really be in a stiff would launch and spin too low.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Okay, thanks. So if that's true, the advice I often see to go up a flex compared to other shafts, wouldn't that generally be detrimental to those players? I'd think a 120x for a player who should really be in a stiff would launch and spin too low.

It's a tweener flex kind of thing, so I try to help guide people based on what shaft they are coming from and how aggressive they are with their hitting. I think a lot of people _on WRX_ want lower launch and spin so the stiffer profile that still feels soft works out well often. I've never heard anyone say "I bought 120X and wish I had got 120S now." It's almost always the other way around, they buy 120S and see too much spin and wish they had gone 120X.

Not fair to make a call on that yet, need more reps, and my shots were with a wicked cross wind. Which is why I posted more on the feel...I do think the 130 is better dispersion. Trajectory tbd...but I think 125 is a hair lower with slightly more spin and 130 was a little higher with less spin. Both are in a good Traj range, it's not like the 125 is too low or the 130 is too high. I will have to go out at my normal yardage and hit marked prov1x balls for each and make additional comments...thanks.

This mirrors what I have found also. 125x is lower launch and more spin. Actually lost 1/2 a club distance with them. Love the 130's.

For me.....the 120 ballooned and spun too much, just not playable for me. Whether it tests out that way on flex or not is not how I look at shafts. That's why I try them for me and see what happens. There is going to be a variance there for everyone, not everyone will over spin the 120, but I would guess the majority of golfers who play a stiff normally, would be sixes in launch and spin with the 120x....good commentary here, as these nippons are tricky to figure out...

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

I still have some ORA X's and have hit most of the other proto's. 3 of the proto's turned into the retail models. 2G18 - 130, DP - 120, ST Proto - Tour103. So far my favorite prototypes are the C10S and ORA X. C10S is like a premium S400 and ORA X is like lower spinning X100. (Paul Casey still uses it I believe.) ORA is a bit firmer feeling than Tour125 and I like the feel/kick of the 125 so that is my gamer right now. Never did hit the 2T15, would have been interested in trying that one. I have a different new set I'm going to try soon if I can get some decent heads for them

They had some new proto's at the PGA demo day but my lips are sealed. I'm excited for those to progress further. Could be a new potential gamer in the future. And something I think will be a huge hit with the mass market. I don't see Nippon slowing down anytime soon. Lots of folks dropped by the demo day to hit their shafts. Pro's & Mini tour players trying out stuff. Amazing to see some +5 handi type guys trying out 130X and then 105X and then 120TX. See the flight patterns and the dispersion. Pretty cool to watch.

Great info as always mark! When will we hear more about the new protos and do you know of any pro's that will be gaming them? Did you get a set to review?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

It's been a little bit, but for those that the modus wedge 125s in play how are you liking them? Not sure if I want to switch to those or keep my TI S400s in play. I'm switching my iron shafts to modus 125X. Gonna put the iron 125X in the GW, but not sure on the 54 and 58. Shed some light on it for me!! Thanks

I am currently playing 125x in my J15CB and Wedge prototypes 125 in my 54* and 58* wedges. I was a S400 wedge player before i found these and I really believe the Wedge prototypes are game changers for me. I always battled a high ball with my wedges (Yes, i know it was partly my swing) but i have taken lessons on controlling my wedge shots and the prototypes fit this new approach perfectly. I am now using less lofted wedges to reduce some spin, to flight my shots for much better distance control. The spin is terrific as well with these. I did put the 125x in my gap wedge as well but for some reason the 130x played a lot better for me in my current gap wedge head. I am using Modus in all my irons and I think they are the best for my game.

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR / Callaway AI Smoke TripleDiamond 9* - Tensei 65 Black
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: Srixon 4 Utility - Axiom 105s 
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Axiom 105x 
Wedges:  Titleist 54* F - MCI 105 SOLID  / Titleist 58* S - MCI 105 SOLID
Putter: 1st - Spider PROTO, Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2024 TP5x, Tour B XS, (Left Dash is number 1 ball but 2024 TP5x has made this a very close race - i could play either)  

Can anyone direct me to where I can find a set of 3-p modus 105? Been looking around and looks like these are only available in ping? Thanks.

Also, which flex would be comparable to the 120 soft stepped? Should I go x or s flex? Would like a shaft that I can load up pretty well.

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

Great info as always mark! When will we hear more about the new protos and do you know of any pro's that will be gaming them? Did you get a set to review?

I don't have the newest stuff. And I believe both sets are in super early testing phases so no users at this time. Still tweaking. I have a new set of shafts to play with, existing set but something unique. Will take a few months to get some good heads and get some rounds in. My buddy has a set of satin Srixon ZTX-II's tour issues I may try to snag off him as they are the same heads my 125X shafts are in and I'd like to compare apples to apples.