2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

There's a handful of 125 users as well, most notably being Keegan.

I was just going to ask why not much love for the 125's

I don't know why, maybe the pro's need more spin since they typically play former greens? I liked them the best of the modus line, too bad I have to sell them as I had to go graphite.

Interesting. The Modus 125 tends to spin just a tad more than X100 and the players that do use Tour125 were usually DG converts looking for slightly higher launch and slightly higher spin which for most players the Tour125 does. Keegan plays the 125X hardstepped once.The 105 gets all the love because it is higher launch with mid spin and is exceptionally smooth while very stable. Which is unheard of for a 115g shaft. So players looking for high soft controllable shots use it. It also picks up some clubhead speed being so light. So it is win win win win for them. I just can't control my arms/hands with that light of a shaft. I'm not as good as they are to stay disciplined to my timing and I flip it early. I think 120g is about as low as I can go right now. I may try to step it down if Nippon releases a proto they had at the demo day. Play that for a year and then try to go to 105 maybe.

I hear ya, I always had problems with the lighter shafts but when I hit the srixon's with the 110 steel fibers it didn't nearly feel as light. I think the heads are very heavy so the swing weight helps or something I'm not sure and I don't know how to explain it. The flip I had is pretty much gone and I haven't done a single thing to change it besides the clubs. It could be the lighter shaft and the heavier head weight but these are money for me. I really did like the 125's but my elbows can't do steel anymore.

All,

I currently play the C-Taper S+ and have used them for about 3 years now; successfully. Can someone recommend what would be most comparable Nippon shaft?

Thanks

I came from the same shaft and am currently playing the 130 S hsx1. Would never go back. I think the Nippon launches a tad higher/quicker, reaches its apex then flattens out. Spin seems to be about the same, maybe a hair less for me. I have a late release and that's what the Modus 130's are designed for.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Mark,

Tell me if I'm on the right track here. I like the flight of my PX 5.5's. I like how they launch, and would like to keep the same spin or maybe even some additional spin, with better feel. I don't want to go any heavier since I typically play irons +1in length. I tried the 120 S but I thought they launched too low. Im thinking I should try 105 S. Does that sound about right? I don't mind going lighter if they're stable. I wouldn't mind trying the 105X due to the similar weight to the PX, but I'm only swinging a 6 iron around 85 so that's probably too stiff I'm guessing.

I don't know why, maybe the pro's need more spin since they typically play former greens? I liked them the best of the modus line, too bad I have to sell them as I had to go graphite.

Interesting. The Modus 125 tends to spin just a tad more than X100 and the players that do use Tour125 were usually DG converts looking for slightly higher launch and slightly higher spin which for most players the Tour125 does. Keegan plays the 125X hardstepped once.The 105 gets all the love because it is higher launch with mid spin and is exceptionally smooth while very stable. Which is unheard of for a 115g shaft. So players looking for high soft controllable shots use it. It also picks up some clubhead speed being so light. So it is win win win win for them. I just can't control my arms/hands with that light of a shaft. I'm not as good as they are to stay disciplined to my timing and I flip it early. I think 120g is about as low as I can go right now. I may try to step it down if Nippon releases a proto they had at the demo day. Play that for a year and then try to go to 105 maybe.

Thanks, always helpful as usual! What's the new proto like?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thanks, always helpful as usual! What's the new proto like?

As posted before here, its called the LSL and is lower spin and lower launch and is around 120g. I think of it as a cross between a Tour105 and a Tour125 for weight and feel with a firmer mid section for lower spin and flatter flight. If/when I get my hands on it, it will most likely be in the bag. I've hit it on two occasions and loved everything I felt and saw instantly. Good stuff and can't wait for more info. I hope it comes retail. Really goes after the PXi and CTaper-lite IMO and wins that battle.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

This thread will never die.

I would love to try the something between the 105 and 125 if that comes out.

It's called the 120.

Weight wise, yes. Feel wise, no.

I was referring to something along the same feel as the 105 but tad bit heavier

Exactly! LSL has a mild butt section, stiffer middle and normal tip. So slightly stiffer butt than 120 but similar mid section IMO and maybe just a hair lighter than 120. But will feel, IMO, closer to a Tour125 with less kick and slightly lighter. It's an even further blending of 120 and 105/125 IMO. They really have something if it can get all sorted out. Very DG-ish with smoother feel, 15g less and what I think will end up being similar to lower spin/launch. edit...what KBS was originally supposed to be. Also reminds me a tad of a CTaper lite but softer feel with similar performance. Flatter penetrating shots.

It's called the 120.

Exactly! LSL has a mild butt section, stiffer middle and normal tip. So slightly stiffer butt than 120 but similar mid section IMO and maybe just a hair lighter than 120. But will feel, IMO, closer to a Tour125 with less kick and slightly lighter. It's an even further blending of 120 and 105/125 IMO. They really have something if it can get all sorted out. Very DG-ish with smoother feel, 15g less and what I think will end up being similar to lower spin/launch. edit...what KBS was originally supposed to be. Also reminds me a tad of a CTaper lite but softer feel with similar performance. Flatter penetrating shots.

For me the St Prototype was the perfect mix between 125 and 105. The profiles are close, the weight of the ST is closer to the 105, but the slight difference of the ST proto's profile enables me to retain better control of the head whether I'm swinging full or trying to take off 5-10 yards.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

It's called the 120.

For me the St Prototype was the perfect mix between 125 and 105. The profiles are close, the weight of the ST is closer to the 105, but the slight difference of the ST proto's profile enables me to retain better control of the head whether I'm swinging full or trying to take off 5-10 yards.

Not trying to be smart here but the ST Proto is exactly the Tour105.. 100% same shaft.

LSL falls in the middle weight wise and is closer in feel IMO to the 105/125 profile, just a smidge stiffer midsection for sure which decreases bend and spin. I don't know the details since it's still proto phase but butt section may have been softened to offset the stiffer mid section. But also again just a smidge.

I have no idea if or when it will come to retail at this point. I just know it is exists and I like it!! I know others on here have heard of it and tried it at the PGA demo day so I'll comment on it. I feel like if it was at Demo Day it may be a summer or fall 2016 product? Or maybe it was really just for feedback from industry.

Mark the info you have added to this thread is awesome! Thank you

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Im.just waiting for the 3000 th post so i can answer

"Its just you" to the original poster

The troll is strong in this one! haha. I kind of wish we could split all this out somehow so its easier for people to search for info on say 105 or 125 or modus wedge separately. I do my best to catch all the other threads too. But this one is out of control. DemolitionMan L4V outta control! hahah.

This is an epic thread! And as you just said Mark, it is hard to find information. It all here. All the models, all the prototypes, what compares to other brands. Great stuff.

My question, I have played 120 S for a year now. I ended up soft stepping the 3 and 4 UDI and 5 iron after Thanksgiving and have found that to work pretty good. I have an idea I would benefit from the less weight of the 105 model. Should I just soft step the whole set from the start?

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

I didn't hit very many shots but I did hit a few. My initial thoughts between the 125x and 130x ss...

Keep in mind, they are both x flex shafts. 125x feels more flexible than 130x ss. 125x flexes more in the mid section, where the 130 flexes more closer to the tip. 125x has more meat on the tip section, so on mis hits, 125x I thought felt more harsh that 130x ss. 130x ss does feel firm, but i feel like i know where the club is better with out it bending as much. I didn't have a monitor, but plan to do some on course testing next...I am leaning towards the 130x ss at this point is better for me, but more to come if I can ever get out on the course and play...

Very intrigued by your initial impressions here. I am currently making the switch from 125x to 130x ss, but have not yet hit the 130. Were there any noticeable differences in ball flight and dispersion for you right off the bat?

Not fair to make a call on that yet, need more reps, and my shots were with a wicked cross wind. Which is why I posted more on the feel...I do think the 130 is better dispersion. Trajectory tbd...but I think 125 is a hair lower with slightly more spin and 130 was a little higher with less spin. Both are in a good Traj range, it's not like the 125 is too low or the 130 is too high. I will have to go out at my normal yardage and hit marked prov1x balls for each and make additional comments...thanks.

Deuce--Have you had the time to compare the two more and decide on either? Any additional comments?

I finally received my irons with the 130x ss, as I mentioned I'm coming from 125x hs. I'll be hitting them for the first time today and will also report back with any comparisons.

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

What's the spinniest wedge shaft from Nippon? Low spin player here and actually prefer active tip shafts on my wedges.

From the new line it would be the Modus Wedge 105. You can find higher spin and launch if you go back to older iron models like the 850's and 950's.

This is an epic thread! And as you just said Mark, it is hard to find information. It all here. All the models, all the prototypes, what compares to other brands. Great stuff.

My question, I have played 120 S for a year now. I ended up soft stepping the 3 and 4 UDI and 5 iron after Thanksgiving and have found that to work pretty good. I have an idea I would benefit from the less weight of the 105 model. Should I just soft step the whole set from the start?

If you played 120S and ended up soft-stepping I'd suggest going with 105R unless you need the extra few grams of the 105S and at that point I'd say yes, softstep 105S from the get go.

I didn't hit very many shots but I did hit a few. My initial thoughts between the 125x and 130x ss...

Keep in mind, they are both x flex shafts. 125x feels more flexible than 130x ss. 125x flexes more in the mid section, where the 130 flexes more closer to the tip. 125x has more meat on the tip section, so on mis hits, 125x I thought felt more harsh that 130x ss. 130x ss does feel firm, but i feel like i know where the club is better with out it bending as much. I didn't have a monitor, but plan to do some on course testing next...I am leaning towards the 130x ss at this point is better for me, but more to come if I can ever get out on the course and play...

Very intrigued by your initial impressions here. I am currently making the switch from 125x to 130x ss, but have not yet hit the 130. Were there any noticeable differences in ball flight and dispersion for you right off the bat?

Not fair to make a call on that yet, need more reps, and my shots were with a wicked cross wind. Which is why I posted more on the feel...I do think the 130 is better dispersion. Trajectory tbd...but I think 125 is a hair lower with slightly more spin and 130 was a little higher with less spin. Both are in a good Traj range, it's not like the 125 is too low or the 130 is too high. I will have to go out at my normal yardage and hit marked prov1x balls for each and make additional comments...thanks.

Deuce--Have you had the time to compare the two more and decide on either? Any additional comments?

I finally received my irons with the 130x ss, as I mentioned I'm coming from 125x hs. I'll be hitting them for the first time today and will also report back with any comparisons.

I need to do it, my course is not overseeded, so I wanted to do it under more normal conditions. I have the 130x ss in play right now, so it will be easy to compare the 125 when the time is right. Thanks.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Sorry no comparison video but this is the 130 S hsx1. You can see how quickly the ball apex's then flattens out. Definitely launches higher than s300, x100 and c taper s+ or PX 6.5 seems to spin less than all others as well. For me anyways.

8i s55

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

Another question here about Nippon wedge shafts....

I currently play the Modus 120S, love them. Great fit for me.

I have the DG Spinner in my wedges, which is fine (good height and spin), but I would love to move to Nippon for feel.

I'm thinking of just putting a 120s in my gap wedge, but I'm looking at the 115 for my sand and lob.

My concern is that the 115 will spin too much. Has anyone made the transition from DG Spinner to Nippon?

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Just want to chime in on how meaningful this thread has been. The only shafts that have stayed in my bag for over a year...Nippon WV 105 wedge shafts that are in my 3 Cleveland wedges (got fitted at Cleveland in Huntington Beach). Although I like my PSis with the DG SL S300 that I was fitted for here in Vegas, I've been struggling with my ball striking and am using that as an excuse to add to the SRI family in my bag with Srixon Z545 w/Modus Pro 105s.

Got fit at local big box and tried my favorite NS Pro 950s and the Modus 105s even beat those. Spin and trajectory were close (higher for both with 950s but nothing significant), but carry was consistently longer (only 2 yds avg, but consistently longer) and dispersion was MUCH tighter with Modus 105s. Tried 120s but they weren't for my swing. I prefer lighter weight for sure. I was severely inconsistent...even though I hit one of my best shots, it was merely that, one shot.

The best part? The feel. Good grief gravy. There was no harshness to the feel of these. It's not like swinging rebar (stiff flex is on my outer reaches but I can feel the harshness of a DGS300 compared to a much smoother DGX100 that's just too stiff for my swing). It's a very fluid feel that is unlike the 950 which has a little kick at the bottom of the arc. It's more like a progressive build up (think naturally aspirated versus turbo charged that has a little extra kick at certain RPMs). While I border on regular vs stiff, I'd throw the regular flex a little higher at times and, while I certainly wouldn't complain out on the course, I couldn't deny the more consistent arc and tighter right to left dispersion of my shots. Spin never got out of hand either. For some reason, I'd spin an XP 95 like crazy and hook it (tried that in an Apex). Quite honestly, just lovely and can't wait to see if they prove to be as consistent as my Cleveland wedges!

Compared to my PSis, I picked up 8 yds in carry. We'll see if that translates in real life. While many while opine that the Z545s are a bit stronger(it's actually only .5*!), I attribute the overall increase in carry to the forgiveness of the chunkier head of the Srixons. I even compared PSi/DG SL with Z545/DG (not SL) and the 545s still beat the PSis handily. For those wondering why I didn't get Nippons in my PSis...I put the decision in the trusted hands of the fitter.

Bottom line: love Nippon shafts.

9* TM M5 w/GD AD BB-6
15* TM M6 w/Atmos
19* TM SIM Max w/Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex '19 w/KBS Tour
Callaway MD5 54*
Callaway PM Grind '19 58*
Odyssey StrokeLab Ten S (Tour only NO sightline) 33"

For those wondering why I didn't get Nippons in my PSis...I put the decision in the trusted hands of the fitter.

#1 complaint I hear constantly about Nippon is just how hard it is find. Not every fitter has a Tour105 and most fitters fit you into what they have. You have to go to a specialty place like HotStix or something like that to really test everything. I'd just be careful of buying what is standard because that is the cheapest and available. Might cost more in the long run when you end up not being happy with what you bought.

For those wondering why I didn't get Nippons in my PSis...I put the decision in the trusted hands of the fitter.

#1 complaint I hear constantly about Nippon is just how hard it is find. Not every fitter has a Tour105 and most fitters fit you into what they have. You have to go to a specialty place like HotStix or something like that to really test everything. I'd just be careful of buying what is standard because that is the cheapest and available. Might cost more in the long run when you end up not being happy with what you bought.

Yeah, they only had the 950 in a regular and he immediately ruled that out. Even with my slower swing speed, he was insistent that the DG SL S300 was the way to go. The iron/shaft combo has been okay for me, but far from what I expected. The MP54s I came out of weren't nearly as forgiving, but feel and distance, especially with the NS Pros...are something I've missed since getting into the PSi set.

Custom ordered the Srixons/Modus 105 from a shop I trust and the Cleveland rep just happened to be in the store the day I called in the order. I'm sure I'll report how it all comes out. Fingers crossed.

9* TM M5 w/GD AD BB-6
15* TM M6 w/Atmos
19* TM SIM Max w/Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex '19 w/KBS Tour
Callaway MD5 54*
Callaway PM Grind '19 58*
Odyssey StrokeLab Ten S (Tour only NO sightline) 33"

Sorry no comparison video but this is the 130 S hsx1. You can see how quickly the ball apex's then flattens out. Definitely launches higher than s300, x100 and c taper s+ or PX 6.5 seems to spin less than all others as well. For me anyways.

8i s55

How are you liking the 130 in the s55? Have you played other shafts in the s55? I may have to try stiff hardstepped v X soft stepped now....not that there is anything wrong with x softstepped.... I was thinking about doing a ping build though and wondering about shaft choice...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Played them with KBS Tour X, C Tapers and DG X100. The Nippons are by far my favorite, very similar overall in numbers to the C Taper S+ but they just feel so much better and I didn't hate the C Taper feel... Not sure I'll ever play an other shaft, just need to get them in the wedges now.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY