2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Speaking of Blades you always wanted to hit. Today a nice guy saw me on the driving range at lunch and mentioned "Nice to see someone hitting blades." We spoke for a bit and he let me hit his Cleveland 588 MB. I have been eyeing these online, ever since i saw Dean Wilson playing them. They were every bit as nice as i thought. A little clicky sounding compared to my MP32. But a very nice clean classic looking Bladed iron. We had the same shafts, I would say the Cleveland got in the air too quick for my liking. Overall I would def grab a set if i saw them up for grabs around me. I would recommend to anyone getting into Blades, Cleveland 588 MB is a great priced option you can find online. MHO

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

Speaking of Blades you always wanted to hit. Today a nice guy saw me on the driving range at lunch and mentioned "Nice to see someone hitting blades." We spoke for a bit and he let me hit his Cleveland 588 MB. I have been eyeing these online, ever since i saw Dean Wilson playing them. They were every bit as nice as i thought. A little clicky sounding compared to my MP32. But a very nice clean classic looking Bladed iron. We had the same shafts, I would say the Cleveland got in the air too quick for my liking. Overall I would def grab a set if i saw them up for grabs around me. I would recommend to anyone getting into Blades, Cleveland 588 MB is a great priced option you can find online. MHO

Couldn’t find any blades on their website. It does look nice.

Couldn't find any blades on their website. It does look nice.

yeah they came out in 2012, so your best bet is all the online websites to find older clubs, eBay, 2nd swing, global golf etc...

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

Maybe someone can help me understand here; why is it that most JDM purchasing websites sell iron sets in a configuration of 6-PW or even 7-PW? Having never been to Japan, I can't wrap my head around why manufacturers such as PRGR and Yamaha will sell sets of irons like that. For those who have visited and golfed in Japan, what do they use for long irons? Do they stack hybrids? Is this a marketing tactic?

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Couldn't find any blades on their website. It does look nice.

yeah they came out in 2012, so your best bet is all the online websites to find older clubs, eBay, 2nd swing, global golf etc...

There's a recent thread from a guy that found a Be Cu 588 MB set in mint condition.My gosh, they were nice sticks.

After struggling recently to hit irons on different trajectories I visualized in windy conditions, put my Founders 200 series blades back into the bag. Ability to intuitively flight the ball returned.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Finally got around to putting some grips on the bad boys below. Went with simple Tour Velvets. Haven't played a round since May, I think, but it's about time I got my bag ready for the Fall season.

Summer golf in Japan isn't all that enjoyable to begin with. I think we are nearing the end of the hottest stretch of weather ever. It hasn't dropped below 30 degrees since June. The heat index sat over 40 for much of the last two months too. Add the humidity and I can't even think about playing golf.

I am really really liking the Modus3 120S. Played S300 forever, tried X100 the last little while and found they are just too much, though I do like the dispersion. I don't have to go after the 120S to get them to perform, but they are still more stable than the S200 you find in many sets here. Basically they are like a lighter S300, but more lively. Looking forward to seeing how they perform over the course of a round.

I was having a lot of trouble enjoying the game the last few years. Haven't been able to play or practice consistently. Went from shooting at and around par consistently to mid 80s. I've realized at least some of that is due to not taking care of myself, so I devoted this year to getting back to exercising (swimming, running, weights and stretching). Hit 150 balls last night and virtually no soreness today. Excited for what the next few months will bring on the golf course.

Especially excited to play these TN87s. I hit them against a few new MP offerings earlier this week and they definitely held their own, though they do it in a more subtle way. The MP719 is an absolute beast of an iron and they are absolutely haunting me, but I'm also really intrigued by the older Mizunos. It's like the difference between driving a standard and driving an automatic. And, that's all I'll say about that.

Looked at a few Mizuno drivers (MP Type2, Mp Craft 2014) last week too, but they haven't kicked the 915D3 yet. It does it's job reasonably well, but it's place is hardly secure. Finally, found a Mizuno CLK hybrid 22' with Diamana Thump 90X and I was hitting ropes with it last night, mid-high with a hint of draw. It might replace the 3-iron for a little while. All told, the bag is looking as set as it's been in years. If I stick with it, I think it'll eventually reward me.

Damn those TN87 are sexy. I just checked the bay and a good set is like 700 bucks :(

I've been lucky twice with buying them on Yahoo auction. I paid less than two for one set and two fifty for this one. With the right shafts for me it was a steal and there are just a few bumps and bruises to the chrome, but nothing at all bad.

As for the copper underlay. Who knows? The 719 felt really really good - Like wielding Thor's hammer good. I know that they would improve my game considerably. There's just know way they wouldn't. That day I also hit the new Ping i210 and the Titleist 718cb. Both of those clubs had me really interested and they are certainly nice, but they just don't compare to Mizunos in the feel department.

I'm on a bent to play controlled golf this year though. I am going to play within myself and I think putting the 719s in the bag would be like driving drunk.

Maybe someone can help me understand here; why is it that most JDM purchasing websites sell iron sets in a configuration of 6-PW or even 7-PW? Having never been to Japan, I can't wrap my head around why manufacturers such as PRGR and Yamaha will sell sets of irons like that. For those who have visited and golfed in Japan, what do they use for long irons? Do they stack hybrids? Is this a marketing tactic?

Just guessing here. But it's either hybrids in the bag or combo sets. I recently purchased (not from Japan) 7 - PW in blades to mix and match with a full set of cavity backs. Certainly cheaper than buying 2 full sets!

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

Just guessing here. But it's either hybrids in the bag or combo sets. I recently purchased (not from Japan) 7 - PW in blades to mix and match with a full set of cavity backs. Certainly cheaper than buying 2 full sets!

Could be wrong but my one visit there it sounded like they'd rather have the long irons as an add-on because of the hybrid and high lofted FW popularity. No reason to pay extra for clubs a person won't need or use.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Fun 84 today. 43/41. 7 FIR's & 7 GIR's and 7 pars. Swung okay but not great, played with an older guy who was drooling on my Maruman's, he knew them well. He was an MP-67 guy but played Wilson's back in the day. Started getting real good hand/release action late in the round and was firing the short irons beautifully. Metals still a bit vexing, putting is so so but I like where I'm heading playing wise.Going to go heavy on rounds next 2 months and try to smash to new lows. If I can only do 38/38, it would make my year. Cheers.

I'm starting to get to my usual end of season "incessant tinkering" phase. I just shafted up my old Mizuno Pro 52* wedge, that's lain dormant for a half dozen years or more. I stuffed my recently purchased King LTD 3w with a ton of cotton balls to bring up the weight so I could play it at 42" and D5. I've taken the stock Rogue 70 X from the LTD fwy, put it in the LTD driver, and added another 6g of cotton balls; it'll play at 43.25". Been trying my Acer XB 58*, having left it in the golf room for a year after assembly; it's pleasantly surprised me. Making plans to *finally* shaft up my 986 Tours, possibly reshafting two sets of Rams, and maybe even my Wood Bros blades. And, in the finest of infidel traditions, I've shafted up two Pinhawk clubheads to try the world of single length irons.

To bad there aren't single length blade heads out there. LOL

Probably going backwards with the putter, might take my Golden Ram TW Custom out for a spin.

Probably putting the 80 Golden Rams back in the bag. Kind of missing the weight of DG...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I'm starting to get to my usual end of season "incessant tinkering" phase. I just shafted up my old Mizuno Pro 52* wedge, that's lain dormant for a half dozen years or more. I stuffed my recently purchased King LTD 3w with a ton of cotton balls to bring up the weight so I could play it at 42" and D5. I've taken the stock Rogue 70 X from the LTD fwy, put it in the LTD driver, and added another 6g of cotton balls; it'll play at 43.25". Been trying my Acer XB 58*, having left it in the golf room for a year after assembly; it's pleasantly surprised me. Making plans to *finally* shaft up my 986 Tours, possibly reshafting two sets of Rams, and maybe even my Wood Bros blades. And, in the finest of infidel traditions, I've shafted up two Pinhawk clubheads to try the world of single length irons.

Probably going backwards with the putter, might take my Golden Ram TW Custom out for a spin.

Probably putting the 80 Golden Rams back in the bag. Kind of missing the weight of DG...

Howard Jones advocates 3/8" differential. In full set long irons drop substantially. If you shave a bit on short irons to start , really adds up. Idea always intrigued me.

Howard Jones advocates 3/8" differential. In full set long irons drop substantially. If you shave a bit on short irons to start , really adds up. Idea always intrigued me.

When I got my set of Ram TG-898's, they were in 3/8" increments, from a 36" PW to a 39" 2 iron. Sadly, it's been so long ago, I don't remember how they played, compared to my other sets. Other than my liking the longer short irons; my somewhat short arms make the shorter clubs a bit less exciting to swing. ;)

Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

When I got my set of Ram TG-898's, they were in 3/8" increments, from a 36" PW to a 39" 2 iron. Sadly, it's been so long ago, I don't remember how they played, compared to my other sets. Other than my liking the longer short irons; my somewhat short arms make the shorter clubs a bit less exciting to swing. ;)

Used 3/8" increments when I reshafted the '99 Apex's. Starting with the 9 iron at 36.75" and progressing to 39" with the 3 iron. Stepped the 9 to PW at 1/2", GW same, 1/4" to SW. An attempt at DIY MOI matching (don't happen to have a frequency analyzer on the workbench.) Several threads discussed doing this in Tech (notably by HJ). Seemed to work out OK, liking the slightly shorter mid-irons, don't bag long irons stopping at a 5. Used extensions. If the exercise turned out less than favorable, could pull them out and start over.

IIRC NRJ, were sorta similar in stature. I"m a little over 6'2" with shortish arms as well (38.5" WTF). "Fitting" always involves a certain alchemy attempting to balance length, overall club weight, with a manageable SW. Always found mid and long irons a bit unwieldy playing at +1". Using 3/8" brought the 5 iron in at 38.25" (+3/4" over standard for the irons I was working with), while still providing a customary, or very close to it, playing length in the short irons.

Ended up with something close to a .5 SW progression. One could fine tune with judicious application of lead tape if need be. Did it make a difference? Yes, I think so, maybe. I'd be inclined to go 3/8" in any future builds just to have the length in long(er) irons be a bit more manageable . But I remain something of a hack, bigger issues with ball striking then futzing around with length increments. Haven't even got around to having the lies adjusted. They hit reasonably straight, so I've left them alone.

Maybe you've seen this, maybe not. A recent thread on MOI Matching with 3/8" increments and updated advice from HJ (i.e. don't confuse MOI with SW), including some mathematical equations to compute.

http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry17954986

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

8c4c64157ce29ee75f43fc1b3185a204.jpg03cc5752c12bc4214ab4b2234f400454.jpg6d4322534457bc234a1bf04137f45fa9.jpgfbf9127c654fe7f492af54fa46323ca0.jpgfound some butter knives in a pawn shop

Yeah now you are cooking with Buttah!! I know where that is too just by looking at the Pics :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: Tuesday I got a set of Slazenger Crown Sterling Blades . Have not hit them yet. Played 36 at Indigo yesterday from the senior tees 54 Precision blades and Persimmon woods shot 79 77. May hit the Sterlings this morning on the range at I Wells-----

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Used 3/8" increments when I reshafted the '99 Apex's. Starting with the 9 iron at 36.75" and progressing to 39" with the 3 iron. Stepped the 9 to PW at 1/2", GW same, 1/4" to SW. An attempt at DIY MOI matching (don't happen to have a frequency analyzer on the workbench.) Several threads discussed doing this in Tech (notably by HJ). Seemed to work out OK, liking the slightly shorter mid-irons, don't bag long irons stopping at a 5. Used extensions. If the exercise turned out less than favorable, could pull them out and start over.

IIRC NRJ, were sorta similar in stature. I"m a little over 6'2" with shortish arms as well (38.5" WTF). "Fitting" always involves a certain alchemy attempting to balance length, overall club weight, with a manageable SW. Always found mid and long irons a bit unwieldy playing at +1". Using 3/8" brought the 5 iron in at 38.25" (+3/4" over standard for the irons I was working with), while still providing a customary, or very close to it, playing length in the short irons.

Ended up with something close to a .5 SW progression. One could fine tune with judicious application of lead tape if need be. Did it make a difference? Yes, I think so, maybe. I'd be inclined to go 3/8" in any future builds just to have the length in long(er) irons be a bit more manageable . But I remain something of a hack, bigger issues with ball striking then futzing around with length increments. Haven't even got around to having the lies adjusted. They hit reasonably straight, so I've left them alone.

Maybe you've seen this, maybe not. A recent thread on MOI Matching with 3/8" increments and updated advice from HJ (i.e. don't confuse MOI with SW), including some mathematical equations to compute.

http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry17954986

The only advantage I can see w/ single length irons is that one can hit nice knock downs into greens w/ short clubs. The knockdown wedge is the hardest shot to pure in my book. A lot of pros step down shafts at wedges and even go so far to mount them on 8 iron shafts. Single length intrinsically does this but at the cost of longer shafts which negates this aspect a bit. But the smooth low flighter is a GIR getter and something I continue to utilize more and more to good effect. At the other end of spectrum, SLI seem to be helpful but why not just choke down an inch or less for the same result. So I'm left with master the knockdown in all clubs and party on.

Nard it all boils down to what fits your game and how you go about executing it whether it is swing wise or equipment wise or a little combo of each. And yes IMHO what you say is true on the constant length shafts on the short game side. I had to really learn the knockdown when I moved here 20 years ago and how to make it work in my scheme of things. Before then I was a high cut floater wedge man which worked 95% of the time where I played. Which I still prefer the high cut float but sometimes it is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine in the coastal winds, You know the old saying "When in Rome do as the Romans" FWIW I got real comfortable hitting a knockdown wedge shot with a choked down hooded 9 iron. For some reason I like that play

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I've been looking for a set of RAM heads to fool around with for sometime and stumbled into these beauties for a fabulous price this morning at a local shop. I have no real clue what I have, but they have seen limited use. Original shafts (no clue of flex) and grips (that still have life. Ferrule creep on a bunch of heads so I will probably re-shaft.

A few pictures . . .

In other news, put in an order for a set of National Custom Works irons. A blended set of 2 blades, 2 small cavities, and 2 large cavities. Squarish toes, minimal offset, killed leading edge, and thinned topline. So stoked to lay my hands on a forever set of Don White customs.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Well boys, I'm officially stuck on my next "golf bag move". I've held on to the 790s for about as long as I can deal with them and their spring action. This thread doesn't allow debates but, want to let you all know that I'm coming back to the blade family and am thinking of the following sets to grab:

1. MP5 - Mizuno: Reasoning - I just think they're dead sexy. Only thing that is holding me back is availability and ease of getting in the condition I want. You can find them but, most sets are quite abused and used.

2. JPX 919 Tour - Mizuno: Reasoning - It's the new ice cream flavor of golf blades. Everyone and their mothers mother wants them.

3. Wait for the next Cobra MB - Obviously, the next set of Cobra MBs is highly anticipate because I am that guy that wants them. I had 3 sets of the Cobra King Pro MB / CB combo and am continuously kicking myself for getting rid of them because of my whoreness.

4. Ping iBlades - Never been a ping guy but my G400 is choice. I hit a set of these at the store and was a big fan. They just fly quite high like my 790s.

Would like to read your inputs. I am looking to move into these irons in this month. Just not sure when I'll pull that trigger.

I've been looking for a set of RAM heads to fool around with for sometime and stumbled into these beauties for a fabulous price this morning at a local shop. I have no real clue what I have, but they have seen limited use. Original shafts (no clue of flex) and grips (that still have life. Ferrule creep on a bunch of heads so I will probably re-shaft.

A few pictures . . .

In other news, put in an order for a set of National Custom Works irons. A blended set of 2 blades, 2 small cavities, and 2 large cavities. Squarish toes, minimal offset, killed leading edge, and thinned topline. So stoked to lay my hands on a forever set of Don White customs.

The 90-100 rated shafts on those Rams are considered stiff flex. You have what looks like the forged ProSet irons, the Ram mixed set that were probably in response to the Wilson Staff Progressive irons.

Can't say for sure if they're parallel or tapered, I'm sorry to say.

NRJ,

Thank you for the response. I was thinking of you when I saw them yesterday. Spent a part of the night searching and was able to glean some information. May take them for a free trips before I decide what to do with the shafts. The head is a little larger than some of the Rams I've seen previously. Also wonder what the shallow cavity is going to feel like in the 7 on up.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon