Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

> @"Joe S" said:

> > @steeletaylor said:

> > I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in this thread prior to me posting this, but i'm not going to go back through and read the whole thread.

> >

> > If i wanted to get my first set of blades to try out. Which ones should I try to find? Budget would be $200 or less used (if possible).

> >

> > In other words, best "starter" set of blades on a budget...

>

> I would recommend Mizuno MP33's, Titleist 690 or Ben Hogan Apex's (1999 model). Three of the best blades ever made and for that price you could get some in great condition. All of them are very "playable" as blades go.

Good choices for sure, and I'd add the Hogan Redlines if you can find a set in good condition, and the Mizuno MP-32s. I didn't like the 32s much myself, but enough people have raved over them to suggest they are worth it.

Also, someone mentioned the Wilson FG-17s up-thread. Another great blade that is definitely easy to play.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @steeletaylor said:

> > I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in this thread prior to me posting this, but i'm not going to go back through and read the whole thread.

> >

> > If i wanted to get my first set of blades to try out. Which ones should I try to find? Budget would be $200 or less used (if possible).

> >

>

> For a great blend of MB feel and player CB performance the RAC MB (2006) from TM is hard to beat and can be bought at lower prices.

> You want to paint the course like Van Gogh, '99 Hogan Apex is as good as any blade made and has a great stock shaft to do just that.

> MP 4 might be both best of breed and most widely available MB of last several years. Bridgestone/Tourstage might be most under rated.

> Irons over 25 years old are fine and pretty cheap but be careful on the shaft, they tend to be rather stout compared to newer offerings.

> Buy the shaft as much as the head, blades with wrong shaft fit are worthless. With right setup, priceless. Consider upping buy max to $300

Nard's point about shafts is a good one. What do you play now? Do you have a preference?

A lot of older blades come shafted with Dynamic Gold S300. It's a bit heavy and typically a bit low launching. Personally, I find I lose about 2-3 mph of swing speed with standard S300 or R300. A shaft at the other end of the spectrum is the Hogan Apex line--it lines up with Dynalite Gold, such that Apex #4 = Dynalite S300. It's a little lighter than its Dynamic Gold counterpart, and I find it easier to feel kick and that it tends to give me high ball flight. However, the iron i have it in--the Ben Hogan 1988 Redline--is known for being easy to launch and having a low center of gravity, so it's likely a bit of a mix between head and shaft.

I'm not as experienced as others on here, but I've had a bit of success in finding cheap iron sets. What worked for me was keeping an eye out on Ebay and Global Golf for dirt-cheap offers with a "Buy Now" option. I found my Hogan Redlines for $60--they had a bunch of lead tape and needed a bit of rust cleaning, but they looked a lot worse than their condition. With a bit of TLC, they came out great, and they haven't lost a step performance-wise.

You can find a ton of good Ben Hogan blades for under $200, and even under $100---Apex II from the early 80's, the original Apex, the PC (reputedly a little harder to hit, due to a higher center of gravity, but I've never hit it), the 1988 Redlines, the BH Grind (reputedly similar to the Redlines--they were the next model released. I just snagged a set for $60 from Global Golf), or the 1994 Channelbacks. The 1999 Apex have been harder to find, personally, but are well liked, as previously noted.

I recently picked up a Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield 7 iron for testing (it was $15)--one thing you can do is just grab a single iron for practice, and see if you like it. It's a low-cost way of trying out an iron before jumping on a set. For instance, I found I like the Muirfield's feel, but not its surprising amount of offset.

My main set is the Mizuno MP-4. I can't recommend it highly enough. I got my 3-PW set for $280. The MP-14 is another one that's right up there--I've only hit the 6 iron in S300, but it's very competitive with my MP-4 for feel and performance. I like my MP-4s a little more, but the MP-14 may be easier to find cheaply.

Good luck and good hunting. : )

> @revanant said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @steeletaylor said:

> > > I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in this thread prior to me posting this, but i'm not going to go back through and read the whole thread.

> > >

> > > If i wanted to get my first set of blades to try out. Which ones should I try to find? Budget would be $200 or less used (if possible).

> > >

> > > In other words, best "starter" set of blades on a budget...

> >

> > For a great blend of MB feel and player CB performance the RAC MB (2006) from TM is hard to beat and can be bought at lower prices.

> > You want to paint the course like Van Gogh, '99 Hogan Apex is as good as any blade made and has a great stock shaft to do just that.

> > MP 4 might be both best of breed and most widely available MB of last several years. Bridgestone/Tourstage might be most under rated.

> > Irons over 25 years old are fine and pretty cheap but be careful on the shaft, they tend to be rather stout compared to newer offerings.

> > Buy the shaft as much as the head, blades with wrong shaft fit are worthless. With right setup, priceless. Consider upping buy max to $300

>

> Nard's point about shafts is a good one. What do you play now? Do you have a preference?

>

> A lot of older blades come shafted with Dynamic Gold S300. It's a bit heavy and typically a bit low launching. Personally, I find I lose about 2-3 mph of swing speed with standard S300 or R300. A shaft at the other end of the spectrum is the Hogan Apex line--it lines up with Dynalite Gold, such that Apex #4 = Dynalite S300. It's a little lighter than its Dynamic Gold counterpart, and I find it easier to feel kick and that it tends to give me high ball flight. However, the iron i have it in--the Ben Hogan 1988 Redline--is known for being easy to launch and having a low center of gravity, so it's likely a bit of a mix between head and shaft.

>

> I'm not as experienced as others on here, but I've had a bit of success in finding cheap iron sets. What worked for me was keeping an eye out on Ebay and Global Golf for dirt-cheap offers with a "Buy Now" option. I found my Hogan Redlines for $60--they had a bunch of lead tape and needed a bit of rust cleaning, but they looked a lot worse than their condition. With a bit of TLC, they came out great, and they haven't lost a step performance-wise.

>

> You can find a ton of good Ben Hogan blades for under $200, and even under $100---Apex II from the early 80's, the original Apex, the PC (reputedly a little harder to hit, due to a higher center of gravity, but I've never hit it), the 1988 Redlines, the BH Grind (reputedly similar to the Redlines--they were the next model released. I just snagged a set for $60 from Global Golf), or the 1994 Channelbacks. The 1999 Apex have been harder to find, personally, but are well liked, as previously noted.

>

> I recently picked up a Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield 7 iron for testing (it was $15)--one thing you can do is just grab a single iron for practice, and see if you like it. It's a low-cost way of trying out an iron before jumping on a set. For instance, I found I like the Muirfield's feel, but not its surprising amount of offset.

>

> My main set is the Mizuno MP-4. I can't recommend it highly enough. I got my 3-PW set for $280. The MP-14 is another one that's right up there--I've only hit the 6 iron in S300, but it's very competitive with my MP-4 for feel and performance. I like my MP-4s a little more, but the MP-14 may be easier to find cheaply.

>

> Good luck and good hunting. : )

This is a lot of good information. I currently play Callaway Apex Pro 19's with KBS C-taper lite stiff (110g) in my irons. I play all of my irons, including my wedges, +1/2" in length and they are 1* up from standard.

I really like your idea of finding a single iron to try out, just for fun. I will start searching on eBay as well as local used golf equipment sources. The idea of finding a set of blades for under $100 is pretty appealing. I know my wife would approve of it too.

I put MP4 back in play - also have Miz MP18 mmc. Wife and I had gone to local mtns for a few days, no golf. Drive back 4 hrs total from mtns to home to golf course. Late afternoon, no warm up, straight to 1st tee. 7 holes, 4 gir, 2 within 15.’

I think my favorite of all golf impact is a nice blade 5 iron struck well. I hit one 170 to about 5’ (and missed the putt just to balance things out.) played blue tees for first time in a while. Pretty dammn pleased!

For any of you who like data, swing theory, etc. Athletic Motion Golf (AMG) has a monthly membership of <$20. Lots of high tech swing analysis of good swings and xint explanation. Maybe I was just ripe for this but 6 weeks later impact on my game is undeniable.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @"Joe S" said:

> > @steeletaylor said:

> >

> >

>

> I would recommend Mizuno MP33's, Titleist 690 or Ben Hogan Apex's (1999 model). Three of the best blades ever made and for that price you could get some in great condition. All of them are very "playable" as blades go.

I second this. I am still playing titliest 690. I've tried tmb, ap2 and still nothing. Closest thing is mp18 I may buy some mp18/mp20 to try to put the 690s out of business

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

I had some leftover store credit at Roger Dunn here in L.A. I didn’t want or need anything and was just killing time. My whole bag is solid. My one place of discontent has always been irons but between my Miz 18 MMC with project x lz graphite and MP4 with KBS tour-v I had no interest of new irons. (Which begs the question, why was I wandering around in the used irons section?)

So, there sat a pristine set of Adams MB2, raw but in great shape. 5 plug. Beautiful. Bad shafts for me (modus 130 x stuff). $250. Gulp.

Now I have 3 sets. Actually 4, counting Mac 1025m heads. I have a rule. 2 sets max. Not sure how I’ll deal with that. I think I’ll have to break my rule. These are all 3 great sets. Hard to know what will get played the most. The look at address of MB2 is spectacular. Id like to end up playing them a lot. Hard to imagine a club overthrowing MP4 but these might.

Anyone played the mb2? What did you think?

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I was in luck earlier as when I was in my local golf shop the Titleist rep popped in with the new range. I obviously grabbed the MB and gave it a whirl. As usual a very solid offering from Titleist but I also hit the Callaway Apex MB and thought that was a really great feeling and looking iron.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

> @wmblake2000 said:

> I had some leftover store credit at Roger Dunn here in L.A. I didn’t want or need anything and was just killing time. My whole bag is solid. My one place of discontent has always been irons but between my Miz 18 MMC with project x lz graphite and MP4 with KBS tour-v I had no interest of new irons. (Which begs the question, why was I wandering around in the used irons section?)

>

> So, there sat a pristine set of Adams MB2, raw but in great shape. 5 plug. Beautiful. Bad shafts for me (modus 130 x stuff). $250. Gulp.

>

> Now I have 3 sets. Actually 4, counting Mac 1025m heads. I have a rule. 2 sets max. Not sure how I’ll deal with that. I think I’ll have to break my rule. These are all 3 great sets. Hard to know what will get played the most. The look at address of MB2 is spectacular. Id like to end up playing them a lot. Hard to imagine a club overthrowing MP4 but these might.

>

> Anyone played the mb2? What did you think?

>

>

Never played the MB2, but have heard only good things about them. That Modus 130X shaft might be a problem, though. MY MP4s have the 125X shafts in them, and even before my hernia I felt they were on the cusp of what I could hit (if I'm being honest, a shade too much shaft for me). I think the 130s are supposed to be easier to elevate, but even so, the 130X is a pretty heavy and stout shaft.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > I had some leftover store credit at Roger Dunn here in L.A. I didn’t want or need anything and was just killing time. My whole bag is solid. My one place of discontent has always been irons but between my Miz 18 MMC with project x lz graphite and MP4 with KBS tour-v I had no interest of new irons. (Which begs the question, why was I wandering around in the used irons section?)

> >

> > So, there sat a pristine set of Adams MB2, raw but in great shape. 5 plug. Beautiful. Bad shafts for me (modus 130 x stuff). $250. Gulp.

> >

> > Now I have 3 sets. Actually 4, counting Mac 1025m heads. I have a rule. 2 sets max. Not sure how I’ll deal with that. I think I’ll have to break my rule. These are all 3 great sets. Hard to know what will get played the most. The look at address of MB2 is spectacular. Id like to end up playing them a lot. Hard to imagine a club overthrowing MP4 but these might.

> >

> > Anyone played the mb2? What did you think?

> >

> >

>

> Never played the MB2, but have heard only good things about them. That Modus 130X shaft might be a problem, though. MY MP4s have the 125X shafts in them, and even before my hernia I felt they were on the cusp of what I could hit (if I'm being honest, a shade too much shaft for me). I think the 130s are supposed to be easier to elevate, but even so, the 130X is a pretty heavy and stout shaft.

>

Yeah, my driver ss is low 90's on my best day - not the swing that craves x-stiff! i will pull and sell them to someone else...

As I think about it, I have 3 really classic blades - the Macs because of how easy to hit; MP4 one of Mizuno's best, and now MB2. The MMC are not real special - except I got a great deal with the project X lz graphite shafts in them.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > I had some leftover store credit at Roger Dunn here in L.A. I didn’t want or need anything and was just killing time. My whole bag is solid. My one place of discontent has always been irons but between my Miz 18 MMC with project x lz graphite and MP4 with KBS tour-v I had no interest of new irons. (Which begs the question, why was I wandering around in the used irons section?)

> > >

> > > So, there sat a pristine set of Adams MB2, raw but in great shape. 5 plug. Beautiful. Bad shafts for me (modus 130 x stuff). $250. Gulp.

> > >

> > > Now I have 3 sets. Actually 4, counting Mac 1025m heads. I have a rule. 2 sets max. Not sure how I’ll deal with that. I think I’ll have to break my rule. These are all 3 great sets. Hard to know what will get played the most. The look at address of MB2 is spectacular. Id like to end up playing them a lot. Hard to imagine a club overthrowing MP4 but these might.

> > >

> > > Anyone played the mb2? What did you think?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Never played the MB2, but have heard only good things about them. That Modus 130X shaft might be a problem, though. MY MP4s have the 125X shafts in them, and even before my hernia I felt they were on the cusp of what I could hit (if I'm being honest, a shade too much shaft for me). I think the 130s are supposed to be easier to elevate, but even so, the 130X is a pretty heavy and stout shaft.

> >

> Yeah, my driver ss is low 90's on my best day - not the swing that craves x-stiff! i will pull and sell them to someone else...

>

> As I think about it, I have 3 really classic blades - the Macs because of how easy to hit; MP4 one of Mizuno's best, and now MB2. The MMC are not real special - except I got a great deal with the project X lz graphite shafts in them.

I'll probably end up pulling the 125X shafts as well. Quite interested in trying the Modus 105s in an X-flex, though.

Also, if you pull the shafts, that will mean you only really have 2 iron sets, so no harm no foul. I'm pretty sure there's a rule on GolfWRX that unshifted heads don't count as sets.

• Like 1

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > I had some leftover store credit at Roger Dunn here in L.A. I didn’t want or need anything and was just killing time. My whole bag is solid. My one place of discontent has always been irons but between my Miz 18 MMC with project x lz graphite and MP4 with KBS tour-v I had no interest of new irons. (Which begs the question, why was I wandering around in the used irons section?)

> > > >

> > > > So, there sat a pristine set of Adams MB2, raw but in great shape. 5 plug. Beautiful. Bad shafts for me (modus 130 x stuff). $250. Gulp.

> > > >

> > > > Now I have 3 sets. Actually 4, counting Mac 1025m heads. I have a rule. 2 sets max. Not sure how I’ll deal with that. I think I’ll have to break my rule. These are all 3 great sets. Hard to know what will get played the most. The look at address of MB2 is spectacular. Id like to end up playing them a lot. Hard to imagine a club overthrowing MP4 but these might.

> > > >

> > > > Anyone played the mb2? What did you think?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Never played the MB2, but have heard only good things about them. That Modus 130X shaft might be a problem, though. MY MP4s have the 125X shafts in them, and even before my hernia I felt they were on the cusp of what I could hit (if I'm being honest, a shade too much shaft for me). I think the 130s are supposed to be easier to elevate, but even so, the 130X is a pretty heavy and stout shaft.

> > >

> > Yeah, my driver ss is low 90's on my best day - not the swing that craves x-stiff! i will pull and sell them to someone else...

> >

> > As I think about it, I have 3 really classic blades - the Macs because of how easy to hit; MP4 one of Mizuno's best, and now MB2. The MMC are not real special - except I got a great deal with the project X lz graphite shafts in them.

>

> I'll probably end up pulling the 125X shafts as well. Quite interested in trying the Modus 105s in an X-flex, though.

> **Also, if you pull the shafts, that will mean you only really have 2 iron sets, so no harm no foul. I'm pretty sure there's a rule on GolfWRX that unshifted heads don't count as sets.**

See, that's the kind of advanced wisdom I come here for.

PS: I think weight is a major thing - an x 105 gram shaft is not the same as an x 130 gram shaft.

• Like 1

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > > I had some leftover store credit at Roger Dunn here in L.A. I didn’t want or need anything and was just killing time. My whole bag is solid. My one place of discontent has always been irons but between my Miz 18 MMC with project x lz graphite and MP4 with KBS tour-v I had no interest of new irons. (Which begs the question, why was I wandering around in the used irons section?)

> > > > >

> > > > > So, there sat a pristine set of Adams MB2, raw but in great shape. 5 plug. Beautiful. Bad shafts for me (modus 130 x stuff). $250. Gulp.

> > > > >

> > > > > Now I have 3 sets. Actually 4, counting Mac 1025m heads. I have a rule. 2 sets max. Not sure how I’ll deal with that. I think I’ll have to break my rule. These are all 3 great sets. Hard to know what will get played the most. The look at address of MB2 is spectacular. Id like to end up playing them a lot. Hard to imagine a club overthrowing MP4 but these might.

> > > > >

> > > > > Anyone played the mb2? What did you think?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Never played the MB2, but have heard only good things about them. That Modus 130X shaft might be a problem, though. MY MP4s have the 125X shafts in them, and even before my hernia I felt they were on the cusp of what I could hit (if I'm being honest, a shade too much shaft for me). I think the 130s are supposed to be easier to elevate, but even so, the 130X is a pretty heavy and stout shaft.

> > > >

> > > Yeah, my driver ss is low 90's on my best day - not the swing that craves x-stiff! i will pull and sell them to someone else...

> > >

> > > As I think about it, I have 3 really classic blades - the Macs because of how easy to hit; MP4 one of Mizuno's best, and now MB2. The MMC are not real special - except I got a great deal with the project X lz graphite shafts in them.

> >

> > I'll probably end up pulling the 125X shafts as well. Quite interested in trying the Modus 105s in an X-flex, though.

> > **Also, if you pull the shafts, that will mean you only really have 2 iron sets, so no harm no foul. I'm pretty sure there's a rule on GolfWRX that unshifted heads don't count as sets.**

>

> See, that's the kind of advanced wisdom I come here for.

>

>

I'm just here to ~~enable~~help.

• Like 1

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > > > I had some leftover store credit at Roger Dunn here in L.A. I didn’t want or need anything and was just killing time. My whole bag is solid. My one place of discontent has always been irons but between my Miz 18 MMC with project x lz graphite and MP4 with KBS tour-v I had no interest of new irons. (Which begs the question, why was I wandering around in the used irons section?)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So, there sat a pristine set of Adams MB2, raw but in great shape. 5 plug. Beautiful. Bad shafts for me (modus 130 x stuff). $250. Gulp.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Now I have 3 sets. Actually 4, counting Mac 1025m heads. I have a rule. 2 sets max. Not sure how I’ll deal with that. I think I’ll have to break my rule. These are all 3 great sets. Hard to know what will get played the most. The look at address of MB2 is spectacular. Id like to end up playing them a lot. Hard to imagine a club overthrowing MP4 but these might.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Anyone played the mb2? What did you think?

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Never played the MB2, but have heard only good things about them. That Modus 130X shaft might be a problem, though. MY MP4s have the 125X shafts in them, and even before my hernia I felt they were on the cusp of what I could hit (if I'm being honest, a shade too much shaft for me). I think the 130s are supposed to be easier to elevate, but even so, the 130X is a pretty heavy and stout shaft.

> > > > >

> > > > Yeah, my driver ss is low 90's on my best day - not the swing that craves x-stiff! i will pull and sell them to someone else...

> > > >

> > > > As I think about it, I have 3 really classic blades - the Macs because of how easy to hit; MP4 one of Mizuno's best, and now MB2. The MMC are not real special - except I got a great deal with the project X lz graphite shafts in them.

> > >

> > > I'll probably end up pulling the 125X shafts as well. Quite interested in trying the Modus 105s in an X-flex, though.

> > > **Also, if you pull the shafts, that will mean you only really have 2 iron sets, so no harm no foul. I'm pretty sure there's a rule on GolfWRX that unshifted heads don't count as sets.**

> >

> > See, that's the kind of advanced wisdom I come here for.

> >

> >

> I'm just here to ~~enable~~help.

>

Good lord, I have the spreadsheet smoking tonight. I think the only answer is grow a second pair of arms. That's the ticket.

• Like 1

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I ''ll also add in Nike blades which in my limited exposure seem to be quite good. If you come across Maruman's from the nineties, they are superb> @Buzzkill said:

> Picked these up 6 weeks ago:

> liv65eewrdwa.jpg

>

Yes sir.

I may throw mine back in the bag, my current bagger's need some repair of epoxy on 3 heads. The Cobra's I have were done in righteous fashion. The specs are nutted and when your swing is nutted they are spectacular, some of Hoffman's best work was done on these.

https://gearhartgolf.com/collections/forged-irons/products/gearhart-limited-edition-1918-forged-blades-custom-set

Anyone hit these yet? I literally felt my heart skip a beat when I saw them on Discount Dans.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Austin 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

> @wrm2120 said:

> https://gearhartgolf.com/collections/forged-irons/products/gearhart-limited-edition-1918-forged-blades-custom-set

>

> Anyone hit these yet? I literally felt my heart skip a beat when I saw them on Discount Dans.

yes, me and my dad demoed one a few years ago. Did not feel as good as 690mb. Call them they will let you demo one for a few weeks if you want to try for yourself

Although their irons just seem ok their wedges feel like butter. I would recommend those! Just also expensive!

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

Nard mentions a great point; Maruman blades from the 90's are superb, and quite rare to find a set that doesn't look like it has sat in the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. I'm not talking about the ultra popular Curtis Strange edition. The Conductor 31EX is still to this day, in my top 3 sought after sets of irons to own. They were a real thing of beauty. De-plated, in raw; goodness gracious. What a ferocious set of sticks. One of the greatest looking faces on a set of irons. They always appeared to have way more bounce than irons in that category of that year.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @Kingcat990 said:

> Nard mentions a great point; Maruman blades from the 90's are superb, and quite rare to find a set that doesn't look like it has sat in the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. I'm not talking about the ultra popular Curtis Strange edition. The Conductor 31EX is still to this day, in my top 3 sought after sets of irons to own. They were a real thing of beauty. De-plated, in raw; goodness gracious. What a ferocious set of sticks. One of the greatest looking faces on a set of irons. They always appeared to have way more bounce than irons in that category of that year.

The Maruman's ( CX series) have a subtle 4-way cambered sole that was years ahead of many OEM's. My SX's are from 1991 or so and as beat as they are, give nothing away performance wise to anything newer. There was a set of 31 EX on Yahoo Japan last week, ask was cheap too.

Hah, just noticed that KC was responding to what was a "draft" left in my box when I made a comment about the Mac-Cobra's The "draft" was really meant for a prior post about what are good 1st time blades for a someone to try. Funny the Mac-Cobra's have an opposite sole design to Maruman's. They are blunt. When I got mine I was still a bit fatty on some missed impacts. Swung those for month, no more fat misses, lol. Addition by subtraction.

> @petep1980 said:

> Hi,

> I recently snagged a beautiful set of Srixon Z745s as my first set of blade irons ever. They are so beautiful I could not pass them up. I have played a round and a half with them so far, and I absolutely love them. I have not found them anymore difficult to hit than my game improvement irons. I also believe they have motivated me to do a lot more serious work on my game, rather than the old grip it and rip it mentality.

>

Those aren't blades but a nice set of sticks nonetheless. I've wanted to try the 945 or Z Forged for a while.

> @craz-e said:

> I was in luck earlier as when I was in my local golf shop the Titleist rep popped in with the new range. I obviously grabbed the MB and gave it a whirl. As usual a very solid offering from Titleist but I also hit the Callaway Apex MB and thought that was a really great feeling and looking iron.

I really can’t say enough good things about the Apex MB. I put it up against the Blueprint recently, and head size is very close.

Edit: 7 iron below--

lnmldfei1xff.jpeg

ehfvwdkqzacc.jpeg

• Like 1

The blueprint is a pretty compact MB. I'm surprised to see the Apex in the realm of that heel to toe length. The last time I picked up a Callaway MB, it had the heel to toe that was very similar to the FH1000, which had initially turned me off.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @Kingcat990 said:

> The blueprint is a pretty compact MB. I'm surprised to see the Apex in the realm of that heel to toe length. The last time I picked up a Callaway MB, it had the heel to toe that was very similar to the FH1000, which had initially turned me off.

Yeah.The Apex MB is very small, in a good way. Definitely worth trying.

I haven't hit the Miura BB, but my understanding is that the Ping Blueprint is very close to the Miura BB in size. So, using my middle school math, if Miura BB = Ping Blueprint, and Ping Blueprint = Callaway Apex MB, then the Apex MB is probably close to the same size as the Miura BB. ; )

• Like 1

> > @playa said:

> > I'm low double digit but play cg1 tours (granted they are combo, but mb from 6 down).

> > One thing I am certain of in blades is that when my game is really on (not often) nothing compares to blades for consistency of strike/flight, feel, accuracy/dispersion, and distance control.

> > I have mine in R300, and I have no forgiveness issues whatsoever. I sometimes think the reputation of lack of forgiveness is because blades usually come in stiff or X stiff, which is too much for the majority of ams to handle. Imho if those same guys put those shafts in their SGI irons they would find them equally unforgiving> @gwelfgulfer said:

> > @playa said:

> >I sometimes think the reputation of lack of forgiveness is because blades usually come in stiff or X stiff, which is too much for >the majority of ams to handle. Imho if those same guys put those shafts in their SGI irons they would find them equally >unforgiving.

>

> How many wrong things do you want pointed out in just this small amount?

>

>

So if anyone has an opinion that differs to yours they're wrong. And your opinion is right and the only possible answer.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Just to elaborate as my earlier post may have been taken out of context from a technical definition of forgiving. To my understanding, in a nutshell forgiveness is the club's ability to retain ball speed/ direction/flight on off centre hits. Of course there countless technical reasons why SGI designs assist forgiveness more than blades, but I was highlighting what I believe is an overlooked reason why blades have a bad rep for forgiveness. Not having the chs to load a stiffer shaft would certainly have a detrimental effect on ball speed, and imo that a big reason some ams with slower swing speeds can't hit blades is because they buy off the rack blades with shafts that they have no chance of loading. Most off the rack SGI irons have reg or softer in them, making them easier to load and more forgiving.

Just my opinion based on playing and watching others play, I am not a tech head.