Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Added comment about the Wilson Staff Duo Professional...

Liking these balls more and more. The feel is addictive, perhaps especially due to my former Maxfli Rev/A10/M3 usage, as well as the occasional HT use. They are really stable in the wind. They spin less off the tee for me, and have a lower trajectory, I was forced to add a degree of loft to my Adams driver to see proper results off the tee. Really quite excellent.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Played yesterday, shot 86, which is not inspiring, but carried a more leaned in attack attitude which helped in that I never made worse than bogey. I have something off in my swing of late and my touch on short game (distance control) is fuzzy but round was alright mental wise.

I used the VR Pro #8i & #7i to fill out bag. I may take the whole set out, next time. They swing nice and performed well. The face has a lot of grooves, which looks real good behind ball. Sharp clubs.

> @NRJyzr said:

> Happen to have an MP14 2 iron lying around, it was bent strong 2* by previous owner, I may shaft it up to match the set...

Yow. 2 iron 2* strong (and negative bounce?). I am trying to imagine this reverse apex flight. The burrowing shot. The underground layup. What would flight tracker trace?

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

>

> > Happen to have an MP14 2 iron lying around, it was bent strong 2* by previous owner, I may shaft it up to match the set...

>

> Yow. 2 iron 2* strong (and negative bounce?). I am trying to imagine this reverse apex flight. The burrowing shot. The underground layup. What would flight tracker trace?

>

>

Probably something resembling taking a full swing with a really upright putter

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

>

> > Happen to have an MP14 2 iron lying around, it was bent strong 2* by previous owner, I may shaft it up to match the set...

>

> Yow. 2 iron 2* strong (and negative bounce?). I am trying to imagine this reverse apex flight. The burrowing shot. The underground layup. What would flight tracker trace?

>

>

I think the MP14 had 3* bounce, 2* strong makes it 18* and 1*. I probably won't do this, I had my MP37 3i bent to 20*, so I'd need a 17* club. At that point, if I want a 17* and MP14, may as well get the 1 iron, LOL.

The 3h with steel works pretty well, though, so I may just stick with that. Or look at Tour Edge driving iron in 17*.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Had a really fun 9-hole round today. Shot 48, but had 3 GIR and 3 pars. Had 5 approach/iron shots that would qualify as being either on the green or fringe (one of which was converted into a par, but wasn't a GIR. Of course, one of my GIRs came with a 3 putt, so it evened out : ) ). Had a few nice lag putts today, but left a few short that turned into 3 putts, as well.

But, the big highlight was that I wasn't playing my MP-4s. Instead, this was my first round with my Hogan 1988 Redlines. Ball flight seemed higher than my MP-4s, and I had good accuracy and feel. The best shot I hit today was a 130 yard 6-iron out of a fairway bunker--caught it really nicely despite having to hover the club and deal with bunker footing. Great height, good ball flight, and intended shape. It's the second time I've managed that type of shot--I hit my MP-4 7-iron out of a bunker earlier this summer for a similar distance.

The real blemish today was wedge play. I lost a good four strokes due to awful/beginner mistakes (i.e., 30 yard to pin-->shank 10 feet right). On a few of them, I actually would have been better off just hitting a hard putt--would have put me on the green instead of lateral and just as bad off as where I started.

So, overall, really happy with my round, and the parts of my game that need work are clear. : )

• Like 1

Demo day coming up this week and for whatever reason I feel the need to splash the cash. Obviously it’s gonna be a new set of blades!

Srixon V’s W/S V’s Callaway V’s Ping Blueprint

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

Question for everyone. How versatile is your PW? Is it a full shot only club for you or do many of you hit partial shots with it. Just wondering if the thinner sole makes it less versatile vs a proper wedge with a wider sole. I know Tiger has always gone from 49 straight to 56 but not exactly sure if he lays into the 56 or if he feathers his PW for certain distances.

Just wondering if anyone uses it for 3/4 and 1/2 shots and how they feel about the performance, particularly the spin when she hits the greens on those partial shots. I'm looking to simply my wedge set up and I'm really enjoying hitting partial shots with my 56 and 60 lately. Just not sure how effective a PW would be in terms of spin or if the sole is optimal for those low spinners.

> @dciccoritti said:

> Question for everyone. How versatile is your PW? Is it a full shot only club for you or do many of you hit partial shots with it. Just wondering if the thinner sole makes it less versatile vs a proper wedge with a wider sole. I know Tiger has always gone from 49 straight to 56 but not exactly sure if he lays into the 56 or if he feathers his PW for certain distances.

>

> Just wondering if anyone uses it for 3/4 and 1/2 shots and how they feel about the performance, particularly the spin when she hits the greens on those partial shots. I'm looking to simply my wedge set up and I'm really enjoying hitting partial shots with my 56 and 60 lately. Just not sure how effective a PW would be in terms of spin or if the sole is optimal for those low spinners.

Depends.....I've been using 52* & 56* wedges but have now headed back to a 54* SW and PW to handle all. In the latter, I use 3/4 to full out on PW and stay with SW from full shot to green side chip. The 54* is extremely versatile, has a ton of spin but also has giddy up on full shots so I can do this and leave the option open for a another long club, #2i perhaps which is handy in Fall weather.

Use my PW for partial shots quite a bit. My PW's range from 47* to 52*, use them all for various partial shots. Spin varies as does the loft and the distance im hitting the shot, as well as the obvious lie, but find the results acceptable.

> @dciccoritti said:

> Question for everyone. How versatile is your PW? Is it a full shot only club for you or do many of you hit partial shots with it. Just wondering if the thinner sole makes it less versatile vs a proper wedge with a wider sole. I know Tiger has always gone from 49 straight to 56 but not exactly sure if he lays into the 56 or if he feathers his PW for certain distances.

>

> Just wondering if anyone uses it for 3/4 and 1/2 shots and how they feel about the performance, particularly the spin when she hits the greens on those partial shots. I'm looking to simply my wedge set up and I'm really enjoying hitting partial shots with my 56 and 60 lately. Just not sure how effective a PW would be in terms of spin or if the sole is optimal for those low spinners.

I've spent the bulk of the last probably two months practicing exactly this. Basically building a toolbox of shots I'm confident hitting with my PW of varying distances 125 yards and in to about 85 yards. Just playing around with setup, grip, plane, backswing length and just seeing what happens.

The root of it really came from just being flustered with my wedge play from that range. I was trying all these combinations of wedge lofts and such and it was to a point I'd hit a different one with a different swing from the same distance and never developed any decent distance or shape control. Simply decided to simplify everything and just learn to hit my PW however I needed to.

So - right now ... decently so. Still got work to do, though.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @dciccoritti said:

>

Depends on the PW I'm using. If it's a stronger lofted one of 46* or thereabouts, I'll use it for chipping but I think of it as another iron. A 50* PW is more like a wedge for me. I practise partial shots with my stronger lofter pitching wedges, but I do struggle sometimes with the gap to my next wedge (which would usually be a 52*). If I am playing a 50* PW, I'll either go 54* & 60* or just 56*.

I've been trying to simplify my wedge setup a bit this year just because.

> @NYCGolfNut said:

> PW is full shot only for me. Sometimes bump and runs. Fairly traditional lofts (not super traditional) at 45 or 46 (depending on which set of blades I’m playing). Then wedges are 50/54/60 or 52/56/60. The 60 is used very sparingly.

45* or 46* isn't exactly what I'd call a traditionally lofted PW, LOL.

k92i1lw07tr0.jpg

So I went to test the new 620 CB & the MB against the Blueprint and I have to say I still prefer the Blueprint over the Titleist offerings. What I felt and what I saw on trackman was that the Ping felt a bit more solid off the face and it went significantly straighter for me, better groupings. CB looks good in pictures with it's satin chrome but IRL the chrome parts in the back shines through and makes it look somewhat not that good. Behind the ball it's clear that it's bigger. MB looks great behind the ball but I would have preferred a satin finish on the face to extend to the toe, now that there is shiny chrome and the satin face it just seems a bit busy. Also prefer the shape of the toe on the Blueprint. I tested the using the DG 120 S300 in Blueprint (love that shaft) and normal DG S300 & X100 on the Titleist's.

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

> @dciccoritti said:

> > @revanant said:

> > You don’t want my advice on pitching wedges. ; )

>

> Actually, I would love to hear your thoughts.

I have the same wedge setup as @wmblake2000 , which is funny given our shared iron choice. I’m using the Hogan Equalizer wedge from my Redlines as my 49/50, and it’s a full-shot only club. My vokey 54/10 is my pitching and chipping club—I find it doesn’t have as many shots that unintentionally flop for 10 feet, while the lower bounce vs 14 keeps me from coming in with the leading edge. I’ve had good success visualizing where I should drop a pitch or chip at a half distance and then letting roll take it close to a pin.

My 58 works well out of rough, within 15 feet, and out of sand. It used to be my primary chip/pitch club. I’m thinking of swapping it out for a 58/12 so that I can use it more comfortably on short chips.

I lose most of my shots within 50 yards, so while my setup should work in theory, my execution is killing me. ; )

I picked up a new set of MP-69's from the classifieds and I am going to give them a run. I have been playing players CB's for a while now (716 CB's, 718 CB's, Apex Pro Dot's) and I also have a set of Nike VR Pro Combo's with the 8-PW being blades. I honestly> @NRJyzr said:

> > @NYCGolfNut said:

> > PW is full shot only for me. Sometimes bump and runs. Fairly traditional lofts (not super traditional) at 45 or 46 (depending on which set of blades I’m playing). Then wedges are 50/54/60 or 52/56/60. The 60 is used very sparingly.

>

> 45* or 46* isn't exactly what I'd call a traditionally lofted PW, LOL.

While it is a degree or two stronger than the weakest PW you will find today, 46 is pretty "traditional" by todays loft. Some peoples traditional is 50 degrees depending on how old you are.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

> @JStang said:

> I picked up a new set of MP-69's from the classifieds and I am going to give them a run. I have been playing players CB's for a while now (716 CB's, 718 CB's, Apex Pro Dot's) and I also have a set of Nike VR Pro Combo's with the 8-PW being blades. I honestly> @NRJyzr said:

> > > @NYCGolfNut said:

> > > PW is full shot only for me. Sometimes bump and runs. Fairly traditional lofts (not super traditional) at 45 or 46 (depending on which set of blades I’m playing). Then wedges are 50/54/60 or 52/56/60. The 60 is used very sparingly.

> >

> > 45* or 46* isn't exactly what I'd call a traditionally lofted PW, LOL.

>

> While it is a degree or two stronger than the weakest PW you will find today, 46 is pretty "traditional" by todays loft. Some peoples traditional is 50 degrees depending on how old you are.

Saying it's today's loft doesn't make it traditional, it just makes it current. Or modern. I realize lofts have been that way for most of this century, but they were a lot weaker for a lot longer. To me, **that's** tradition.

And yes, I know I'm nitpicking, and being a general pain. I apologize for that. But hey, it's Thursday. LOL

As compensation for having to even chat about this, I should post pics of my recently acquired MP37s...

> @dciccoritti said:

>

I use the PW that came with my VR Pros as it seems remarkably similar in head shape etc to my Engages, and am fairly comfortable hitting half shots with it. My preference is always to drop down to the 50 degree and hit it harder (my swing works better on full shots), but if I get an awkward yardage, say around 120, then I'll play a little "dead hand wedge" shot by choking down slightly and taking a 3/4 swing. Lower trajectory than usual, so good in the wind, and checks up pretty damned quick. If anything I get more spin that I do with my 50 degree, but the grooves on the VR Pros have always been known to be fairly savage.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @bodhi555 said:

>...and checks up pretty damned quick. If anything I get more spin that I do with my 50 degree...

This is what I'm looking to hear. Hitting the range today after work then bringing it to the course this weekend to see how it goes. Curious to see if I can gauge partial distances and get good spin.

> @dciccoritti said:

> > @bodhi555 said:

> >...and checks up pretty damned quick. If anything I get more spin that I do with my 50 degree...

>

> This is what I'm looking to hear. Hitting the range today after work then bringing it to the course this weekend to see how it goes. Curious to see if I can gauge partial distances and get good spin.

>

>

My 50/54/58 are pretty old because I know how to dial in yardages, swing length and loft. This took a while (and is why I hold onto these clubs - don't want to relearn them). My point is, this may be more than a one weekend job (!). My idea is a little along Pelz idea about wedges years ago - dial in 1/2, 3/4 etc for each wedge. He said write it on your shaft. I never did that, but now i have a feel for the swing at various yards with usually 2 wedges.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @dciccoritti said:

> > > @bodhi555 said:

> > >...and checks up pretty damned quick. If anything I get more spin that I do with my 50 degree...

> >

> > This is what I'm looking to hear. Hitting the range today after work then bringing it to the course this weekend to see how it goes. Curious to see if I can gauge partial distances and get good spin.

> >

> >

> My 50/54/58 are pretty old because I know how to dial in yardages, swing length and loft. This took a while (and is why I hold onto these clubs - don't want to relearn them). My point is, this may be more than a one weekend job (!). My idea is a little along Pelz idea about wedges years ago - dial in 1/2, 3/4 etc for each wedge. He said write it on your shaft. I never did that, but now i have a feel for the swing at various yards with usually 2 wedges.

Yes, that's what I meant :-) Gonna practice a bit today then give it a go this weekend in a real game environment. I got 3 rounds booked. Not looking to master it just yet however I'm hoping to see some positive results that will give me the confidence to take it further and get better. 90 yards and in with partial wedges has always been the biggest strength of my game aside from those few times here and there when I get a little quick and pull it off line :-) However I've never tried the 130 to 90 yard gap with a single club so it's got me both freaked out and excited all at the same time :-) I'll update everyone on how it goes after the long weekend ?

• Like 1