Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Got 9 in this morning. Shot 49 with 22 putts and 1 ball in water. Good iron day, though I did overdraw/hook a 7 iron into a pin high bunker—right distance, though. :)

Got my MP-14 6 iron in today. Against my MP-4, I’m surprised by how thick the topline is. I’ll put head to head photos up this weekend—similar head size, but the MP-4 wins a little in my book.

Against my Redlines, it’s a similar topline but the Redlines are a smaller head. I’m thinking the Redlines might be close to Baby Blade/Blueprint size. I put the ‘18 Apex MB against the Blueprint recently and the head size there is very close as well. I’m thinking Callaway drew heavily from the Hogan files for the 18 Mb.

> @wmblake2000 said:

>

> I am also playing really well. 76 last time out works for me. See if I can repeat it...although I am trying now to reshape arm/shoulder path which will throw things off for a while. But every time I *finally* get a key fundamental in better shape I see jump in distance and GIR.

>

>

Nice on the 76 and better striking.

I'm seeing power I did not see last year, dispersion, probably never better, the whole focus of "get body up to speed of arms" seems to be working. Real depth to turn and width to arms. Finally can both approve and own the swing, pretty much a first.

• Like 1

Hello again blade sensationalists! It has been about a year away from golf for me. Yesterday was my first dedicated range session. I took my 716MB 7i and that was it. Hit four bags of balls and found out that something has reset and I can actually hit the golf ball straight again. I still screw up from time to time but nothing utterly catastrophic and I am able to focus and get something downrange fairly straight. I also have divots now. Straight divots.

Today I got adventurous and brought my 7i again with a Callaway 52° and my Mizuno 1i. I'm feeling good with the 7i and the 52 is playing well. The 1i is very demanding and I'm not getting all of the 100X speed into it yet. I hit one really good one and it made me smile. The others weren't going anywhere special, but the worms sure were terrified. I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I have decided to go without gloves this time around and am paying the price in the blisters right now. I'm guessing that I probably shouldn't have been quite so enthusiastic yesterday and today, but it's all good. I think I am going to work my way through the bag next week and see what happens.

• Like 3

> @"Sir Slicealot" said:

> Hello again blade sensationalists! It has been about a year away from golf for me. Yesterday was my first dedicated range session. I took my 716MB 7i and that was it. Hit four bags of balls and found out that something has reset and I can actually hit the golf ball straight again. I still screw up from time to time but nothing utterly catastrophic and I am able to focus and get something downrange fairly straight. I also have divots now. Straight divots.

> Today I got adventurous and brought my 7i again with a Callaway 52° and my Mizuno 1i. I'm feeling good with the 7i and the 52 is playing well. The 1i is very demanding and I'm not getting all of the 100X speed into it yet. I hit one really good one and it made me smile. The others weren't going anywhere special, but the worms sure were terrified. I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I have decided to go without gloves this time around and am paying the price in the blisters right now. I'm guessing that I probably shouldn't have been quite so enthusiastic yesterday and today, but it's all good. I think I am going to work my way through the bag next week and see what happens.

Welcome back

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > Shot 84 w/ 9 pars. 1st full walk & carry round of the year, I'm feeling my 50 something so yeah, like the 9 pars more so. But big moral for me was played 1st 9 w/ big 4 ball that I don't normally play. It was fine but till I put my normal big 4 in play, did not make putts of grandeur. So that nonsense comes to an end. Balls.....have your balls.....play better golf.

> > >

> > > I have been walking and carrying a lot this summer. Mainly so I can brag to my wife about what a stud I am. Before I take Aleve and crash dead at sundown.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > The very last thing my wife rates stud factory is when a golf club in my hand that's for sure, lol. Have to offset implicit boy factor by knocking down honey do list.

> > I'm always weary of the first walk, no matter how "in shape" I feel. It was 85*, drank a half gallon on 1st nine, probably should of consumed another quart on back. Got stupid on last 3 holes, gave up 5 strokes there alone. Felt great just to get out, going again Saturday,

>

> The stay hydrated rule is real. I can cramp up a lot if I don’t drink enough and get electrolytes/ bananas in me. Which means planning. Which I forget to do. But I love carrying - maybe because I always carried as a boy.

>

> I am also playing really well. 76 last time out works for me. See if I can repeat it...although I am trying now to reshape arm/shoulder path which will throw things off for a while. But every time I *finally* get a key fundamental in better shape I see jump in distance and GIR.

>

>

Nice on the 76.

When I play in the hot, humid summers here, I make it a rule to avoid alcohol the day before to start hydrating early. As well as drinking lots and lots of water, I also carry these lemon-salt tablets, which really help keep the post-round cramps away.

Still, that won't be a problem this year for me, as I will miss out on all the summer golf. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

• Like 1

> @"Sir Slicealot" said:

> Hello again blade sensationalists! It has been about a year away from golf for me. Yesterday was my first dedicated range session. I took my 716MB 7i and that was it. Hit four bags of balls and found out that something has reset and I can actually hit the golf ball straight again. I still screw up from time to time but nothing utterly catastrophic and I am able to focus and get something downrange fairly straight. I also have divots now. Straight divots.

> Today I got adventurous and brought my 7i again with a Callaway 52° and my Mizuno 1i. I'm feeling good with the 7i and the 52 is playing well. The 1i is very demanding and I'm not getting all of the 100X speed into it yet. I hit one really good one and it made me smile. The others weren't going anywhere special, but the worms sure were terrified. I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I have decided to go without gloves this time around and am paying the price in the blisters right now. I'm guessing that I probably shouldn't have been quite so enthusiastic yesterday and today, but it's all good. I think I am going to work my way through the bag next week and see what happens.

Taking out the razor blade is always an exercise in humility. I've got two (?) - Dunlop Seve Special edition in x100 and Founders Club 200 series with stock regular. It's sure fun watching them go when you catch'em. There's a reason no one plays them any more though.

Putting together a bag of blade irons 1-L and walking around the course one day has always been a thought - Nobody wants him, he just stares at the world...

Catchy - I've got the ladies golf on the tube from my local course (check that, it's in Saitama). Worth it for the odd glimpse of Lee Bo Mi or Erika Hara... Daughters both asleep on the sofa, I finally get a chance to sit (after preparing lunch and dinner). Wife at the restaurant because of Doyo-ushi no hi (barbecued eel day).

I don't think anyone gets out all that much in the summer here, beteem the rain, typhoons, heat, work and family. I just make it a habit to hit the range. Fall golf is where it's at, save up all my goodwill with the wife for Late September.

I'm one of you ... I've forsaken you ...

I tried the rest of the world. I just cannot.

I am blade.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @"Sir Slicealot" said:

The only #1i I could ever hit with full pop was the 99'Apex. Took like 10 swings caught one, glorious, never used it again, lol.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @"Sir Slicealot" said:

> > Hello again blade sensationalists! It has been about a year away from golf for me. Yesterday was my first dedicated range session. I took my 716MB 7i and that was it. Hit four bags of balls and found out that something has reset and I can actually hit the golf ball straight again. I still screw up from time to time but nothing utterly catastrophic and I am able to focus and get something downrange fairly straight. I also have divots now. Straight divots.

> > Today I got adventurous and brought my 7i again with a Callaway 52° and my Mizuno 1i. I'm feeling good with the 7i and the 52 is playing well. The 1i is very demanding and I'm not getting all of the 100X speed into it yet. I hit one really good one and it made me smile. The others weren't going anywhere special, but the worms sure were terrified. I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I have decided to go without gloves this time around and am paying the price in the blisters right now. I'm guessing that I probably shouldn't have been quite so enthusiastic yesterday and today, but it's all good. I think I am going to work my way through the bag next week and see what happens.

>

> The only #1i I could ever hit with full pop was the 99'Apex. Took like 10 swings caught one, glorious, never used it again, lol.

That right there is advanced wisdom.

I had Muirfield 1-iron back in the day. 100% of my swings with it stung my hands and were worm-burners.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @"Sir Slicealot" said:

> > > Hello again blade sensationalists! It has been about a year away from golf for me. Yesterday was my first dedicated range session. I took my 716MB 7i and that was it. Hit four bags of balls and found out that something has reset and I can actually hit the golf ball straight again. I still screw up from time to time but nothing utterly catastrophic and I am able to focus and get something downrange fairly straight. I also have divots now. Straight divots.

> > > Today I got adventurous and brought my 7i again with a Callaway 52° and my Mizuno 1i. I'm feeling good with the 7i and the 52 is playing well. The 1i is very demanding and I'm not getting all of the 100X speed into it yet. I hit one really good one and it made me smile. The others weren't going anywhere special, but the worms sure were terrified. I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I have decided to go without gloves this time around and am paying the price in the blisters right now. I'm guessing that I probably shouldn't have been quite so enthusiastic yesterday and today, but it's all good. I think I am going to work my way through the bag next week and see what happens.

> >

> > The only #1i I could ever hit with full pop was the 99'Apex. Took like 10 swings caught one, glorious, never used it again, lol.

>

> That right there is advanced wisdom.

>

> I had Muirfield 1-iron back in the day. 100% of my swings with it stung my hands and were worm-burners.

>

Back in the day the most punishing club I had was a 1 iron. It was made by Ping out of a funky copper based material, and if you got it slightly wrong your hands hurt for days lol.

In contrast, my OG Blade 1 iron is actually quite forgiving. I don't carry it any more, as my hyrid is more forgiving and longer, but when I did I could get maybe 6 out of 10 out the middle. It was also the best club in the world for punching out of trees lol ?

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I still carry a #3i but use a #5W in lieu more & more. In Fall with dry, windy conditions may add #2i but AW has to get bumped. Don't like that, so window is very small to justify. The #3i gets used on tight Par 4's and like bondi said "punching out of trees".

Btw, played like garbage today but highlight was hitting in 2 on a par 5 w/ a #4i. 15' for eagle, 1' foot for bird. The rest was so forgettable,lol.

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > @"Sir Slicealot" said:

> > Hello again blade sensationalists! It has been about a year away from golf for me. Yesterday was my first dedicated range session. I took my 716MB 7i and that was it. Hit four bags of balls and found out that something has reset and I can actually hit the golf ball straight again. I still screw up from time to time but nothing utterly catastrophic and I am able to focus and get something downrange fairly straight. I also have divots now. Straight divots.

> > Today I got adventurous and brought my 7i again with a Callaway 52° and my Mizuno 1i. I'm feeling good with the 7i and the 52 is playing well. The 1i is very demanding and I'm not getting all of the 100X speed into it yet. I hit one really good one and it made me smile. The others weren't going anywhere special, but the worms sure were terrified. I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I have decided to go without gloves this time around and am paying the price in the blisters right now. I'm guessing that I probably shouldn't have been quite so enthusiastic yesterday and today, but it's all good. I think I am going to work my way through the bag next week and see what happens.

>

> Taking out the razor blade is always an exercise in humility. I've got two (?) - Dunlop Seve Special edition in x100 and Founders Club 200 series with stock regular. It's sure fun watching them go when you catch'em. There's a reason no one plays them any more though.

>

> Putting together a bag of blade irons 1-L and walking around the course one day has always been a thought - Nobody wants him, he just stares at the world...

>

> Catchy - I've got the ladies golf on the tube from my local course (check that, it's in Saitama). Worth it for the odd glimpse of Lee Bo Mi or Erika Hara... Daughters both asleep on the sofa, I finally get a chance to sit (after preparing lunch and dinner). Wife at the restaurant because of Doyo-ushi no hi (barbecued eel day).

>

> I don't think anyone gets out all that much in the summer here, beteem the rain, typhoons, heat, work and family. I just make it a habit to hit the range. Fall golf is where it's at, save up all my goodwill with the wife for Late September.

>

>

>

I'm watching the final round of that right now. Erika Hara certainly has, ummm, nice form.

You're right about July/August not being the best time for golf here, but I'd still like to get out. For the last few years, my golfing mates and I have played a good course near hear called Wakamatsu around o-bon time. Unusually for Japan, you have to walk (unless you have a medical reason or are over 65 or 70), and a caddy transports all the bags on this dinky electric cart. I always look forward to this round, but this year's out of the question. Actually, they're altering and lengthening the course this year anyway, so the course is playing at a reduced length until all the work is over. They finish in September, so we might play it after it reopens properly. Hopefully I'll be back to golf by then.

Interestingly, the course is digging up all the old bent grass greens and replacing them with some new combination (007 grass and something else that I don't remember). The reason? Climate change. Bent grass gets fried at temperatures over 35*C, and those sort of temperatures are no longer unusual here. So the management has been looking around for grass strains that are more resistant to hotter temperatures.

Edit: Forget to mention the eels. Damn, they're expensive this year. The local supermarket was BBQing them and selling them yesterday. 2,500 yen for one. Nice, but bloody pricey.

Wakamatsu Golf Club:

[wakamatsu.or.jp](http://www.wakamatsu.or.jp "wakamatsu.or.jp")

Took out a couple of the blade long irons day - the aforementioned Founders and a Dunlop DP201 2i (Think TN87 with slightly longer blade and less offset). Oh and it had a TT S400. Hit the deuce 3 or 4 times dead straight with a fade between 210 and 220 with some god awful flighted balls. Hit the 1i twice dead straight. Last one I set up and smoked. Landed about 210 and ran up the to the 250. That Founders is a think of beauty.

Was really working on rehearsing my back swing to get an earlier wrist set. When I do that, all I need to do is finish my back swing and, once that's done, fire my hips. Didn't miss many left (just with shorter irons occasionally) and none to the right. Just caught the odd shot thin.

Also bought a grip for my putter. Noticed the old Winn grip is started to shred so I picked up an STM, FP grey:

http://www.stmgolf.com/putter

Pretty stoked to slip that on.

>

> I'm watching the final round of that right now. Erika Hara certainly has, ummm, nice form.

> You're right about July/August not being the best time for golf here, but I'd still like to get out. For the last few years, my golfing mates and I have played a good course near hear called Wakamatsu around o-bon time. Unusually for Japan, you have to walk (unless you have a medical reason or are over 65 or 70), and a caddy transports all the bags on this dinky electric cart. I always look forward to this round, but this year's out of the question. Actually, they're altering and lengthening the course this year anyway, so the course is playing at a reduced length until all the work is over. They finish in September, so we might play it after it reopens properly. Hopefully I'll be back to golf by then.

> Interestingly, the course is digging up all the old bent grass greens and replacing them with some new combination (007 grass and something else that I don't remember). The reason? Climate change. Bent grass gets fried at temperatures over 35*C, and those sort of temperatures are no longer unusual here. So the management has been looking around for grass strains that are more resistant to hotter temperatures.

>

> Edit: Forget to mention the eels. ****, they're expensive this year. The local supermarket was BBQing them and selling them yesterday. 2,500 yen for one. Nice, but bloody pricey.

>

> Wakamatsu Golf Club:

> [wakamatsu.or.jp](http://www.wakamatsu.or.jp "wakamatsu.or.jp")

Looks nice, I spent about a month in Kitakyushu back in the day when I first came here. Fun place. As for climate change, the maples (momiji) over here are getting fried, but my bermuda grass is growing pretty good. Talked with my gardener tonight and he told me a few things, and then he was, unironically, going for unagi with his family.

Well I figured out the reason the 1i was so lame. Swing speed is down. I took the driver out tonight and hit a few. I got lucky and figured out how to connect well. Some deer stepped out on the range and I tried to rain on their parade without fruit. Bummer as the ball was falling fifty yards shy. They were out about 315-320 which is sadly out of my reach.

So I did something spontaneous a few days ago and found a set of Mizuno MP68s in good condition on eBay!

I can now call myself an official blade user!

jqnl4mivv68i.jpg

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Nothing looks as good to me as Miura irons. Those are delicious looking.

After a TON of iron churn over the years, the funny thing is, I am pretty much not a ho with other clubs. Once I find something I like, I keep it in play for a long time (2 yrs+). The longest running clubs are some Fourteen MT28V3 wedges. Maybe 10 yrs... I have replenished them from ebay. But they are wearing out, and the inventory in ebay looks more and more worn out, too.

I hate to replace these. I know exactly how they perform (50,54,58*). I really don't know how to think about new wedges... ugh.

Hope people's summer of golf is going great. I can't believe how well I am playing. Of course by saying that, the rage of the golf gods will probably burn that delusion away fast.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @Bubbtubbs said:

> Gorgeous, but do you find the finish wears off quicker than straight satin or chrome? It would bug me if black irons had big, light streaks all over the soles or face, which is funny because I'm not prissy about my normal finished clubs at all.

the finish wears like any other black irons. will never hold up like satin or chrome though. if you dont like small scratches then black is def not the way to go.

I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in this thread prior to me posting this, but i'm not going to go back through and read the whole thread.

If i wanted to get my first set of blades to try out. Which ones should I try to find? Budget would be $200 or less used (if possible).

In other words, best "starter" set of blades on a budget...

Hi,

I recently snagged a beautiful set of Srixon Z745s as my first set of blade irons ever. They are so beautiful I could not pass them up. I have played a round and a half with them so far, and I absolutely love them. I have not found them anymore difficult to hit than my game improvement irons. I also believe they have motivated me to do a lot more serious work on my game, rather than the old grip it and rip it mentality.

> @steeletaylor said:

> I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in this thread prior to me posting this, but i'm not going to go back through and read the whole thread.

>

> If i wanted to get my first set of blades to try out. Which ones should I try to find? Budget would be $200 or less used (if possible).

>

> In other words, best "starter" set of blades on a budget...

Wilson Staff FG-17 are pretty common. So are Macgregor and Golden Ram.

I'd look for a set of relatively inexpensive ones like those and play a few rounds so you can get a feel for what you like and what you're looking for before investing in something more expensive.

> @revanant said:

> Got 9 in this morning. Shot 49 with 22 putts and 1 ball in water. Good iron day, though I did overdraw/hook a 7 iron into a pin high bunker—right distance, though. :)

>

> Got my MP-14 6 iron in today. Against my MP-4, I’m surprised by how thick the topline is. I’ll put head to head photos up this weekend—similar head size, but the MP-4 wins a little in my book.

>

> Against my Redlines, it’s a similar topline but the Redlines are a smaller head. I’m thinking the Redlines might be close to Baby Blade/Blueprint size. I put the ‘18 Apex MB against the Blueprint recently and the head size there is very close as well. I’m thinking Callaway drew heavily from the Hogan files for the 18 Mb.

Just to close the loop on this, the MP-4 has a significantly thinner topline than the MP-14. I also think the MP-4 is a little softer, but given the age gap, the MP-14 is amazing. I also found it very easy to launch—I have it shafted in S300, and I’m getting very high spin and launch (20-22 degrees / 6.5k-7.5k spin).

Comparison 6-iron photos below.

5upa67itz85i.jpeg

iil7qxdi9eeb.jpeg

62vrjzqubbp0.jpeg

fb3vomnevxm6.jpeg

> @steeletaylor said:

> I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in this thread prior to me posting this, but i'm not going to go back through and read the whole thread.

>

> If i wanted to get my first set of blades to try out. Which ones should I try to find? Budget would be $200 or less used (if possible).

>

I would recommend Mizuno MP33's, Titleist 690 or Ben Hogan Apex's (1999 model). Three of the best blades ever made and for that price you could get some in great condition. All of them are very "playable" as blades go.

> @steeletaylor said:

>

>

For a great blend of MB feel and player CB performance the RAC MB (2006) from TM is hard to beat and can be bought at lower prices.

You want to paint the course like Van Gogh, '99 Hogan Apex is as good as any blade made and has a great stock shaft to do just that.

MP 4 might be both best of breed and most widely available MB of last several years. Bridgestone/Tourstage might be most under rated.

Irons over 25 years old are fine and pretty cheap but be careful on the shaft, they tend to be rather stout compared to newer offerings.

Buy the shaft as much as the head, blades with wrong shaft fit are worthless. With right setup, priceless. Consider upping buy max to $300