SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Never again. I've tried to replace the MTB-X with a number of different balls and had poor results. Yesterday, I played 9 holes with the Bridgestone Tour B RX and after being short off the tee, about the same on irons, and a having a terrible time with distance control on putts, I switched back to the MTB-X for the back 9. What a difference. Long off the tee, irons seemed to be the same or perhaps a little longer, and putts started getting much closer to the hole. I've made this mistake a couple times before and I've always found that the MTB-X is just a perfect ball for me. Even though I've got a slower swing speed with my driver the MTB-X never fails to show up the competition. No more experimenting and I'm donating a bunch of balls to the First Tee.

• Like 1

> @ssf301 said:

> I didn't try the driver yet, I just played 9 holes hitting (3) Blacks and (3) X's from 150 yards and in. My course has pretty firm greens (PGA Tour stop) so I tend to need as much spin as I can get. Unless something odd comes up when I hit the driver I'm probably going to go with a few dozen of the X's.

>

>

Ok, I tried the driver yesterday. Damn the X is hot off my driver! Definitely going MTB-X.

> @Imp said:

> How do the MTB-X fare in cold weather, like... 50-60 degrees? Should I go to my cold weather balls instead?

My recommendation for all golfers who play in colder areas is to keep the golf balls in your homes as a good storage place.. they perform best when kept around 70F to 90F... most homes are around 70F so that is better than keeping in your golf bag outside in the overnight cold then playing early the next morning. or keeping in bag storage at your club, which are usually not very warm either. if you start the round off with golf balls that are 40F, you are already giving up ball speed, and reduced spin rates, and will also cause firmer feel. If you keep at your home, then take a sleeve and keep in your pocket, and rotate the balls during the round, this will help with the reduction in performance due to cold temps. Granted, there will be loss due the colder temps, but you want to try to reduce this as much as possible if you can... for those playing for fun, I have seen people place a hand warmer in their pocket, which also helps keep the golf balls warmer during the cold round. I personally do not like to see people go to low compression balls when its cold.. These usually have very low spin rates to start, so you are already giving up that short game performance before you start.

• Like 2

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> > @Imp said:

> > How do the MTB-X fare in cold weather, like... 50-60 degrees? Should I go to my cold weather balls instead?

>

> My recommendation for all golfers who play in colder areas is to keep the golf balls in your homes as a good storage place.. they perform best when kept around 70F to 90F... most homes are around 70F so that is better than keeping in your golf bag outside in the overnight cold then playing early the next morning. or keeping in bag storage at your club, which are usually not very warm either. if you start the round off with golf balls that are 40F, you are already giving up ball speed, and reduced spin rates, and will also cause firmer feel. If you keep at your home, then take a sleeve and keep in your pocket, and rotate the balls during the round, this will help with the reduction in performance due to cold temps. Granted, there will be loss due the colder temps, but you want to try to reduce this as much as possible if you can... for those playing for fun, I have seen people place a hand warmer in their pocket, which also helps keep the golf balls warmer during the cold round. I personally do not like to see people go to low compression balls when its cold.. These usually have very low spin rates to start, so you are already giving up that short game performance before you start.

I typically play throughout the year in New England and often play in colder weather during the winter months (when there isn't any snow on the ground) but really just for fun at this time of the year. Keeping the ball in your pocket, with a hand warmer, and rotating with another ball every hole or so makes a difference as Dean states above. It's noticeable even if it's only not having the hit the 'frozen' ball in colder temperatures. Great idea along with keeping your clubs and golf balls inside your house too. I also switch to the Optic Yellow Get Sum ball in the fall and winter months as it's not only easier to see but I hate to lose a premium ball (re: plugged, leaf rule, etc.). Keep producing the great balls and I'll continue to be a loyal fan.

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> We will be shooting some educational videos this week and next week.. if you have any questions, let me know and I will try to get them answered as best I can... thanks.

To the extent you are able/willing, it would be great to get a quick primer on how the different layers of the ball (including the cover) affect performance. For example, what effect does the size of the core have on performance, and how does the relationship/ratio between the size of the different layers affect performance?

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

After trying out a dozen based on the results of the not-to-be-named site's testing results, and couldn't be happier. So happy that I wound up ordering a gross just so I could get a discount on personalization (I like to put the family crest on my golf balls). Price was reasonable, process was easy, and Nicole in the custom logo department was fantastic.

Love the idea of not only getting a great ball at a great price, but supporting a local business (their offices are about 25 minutes from my house). Keep up the good work, @"Snell Golf"

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> We will be shooting some educational videos this week and next week.. if you have any questions, let me know and I will try to get them answered as best I can... thanks.

Curious which golfers you’d recommend to play the Get Sum ball since it appears your school of thought is to play the most spin you can control. I’m debating playing Get Sum over the winter so that a lost ball (plugged, leaves, etc.) costs me less than the MTB-X I have recently converted to.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

Yeah, I'm friggin loving the MTB-X. It's funny, though. Most of the guys I play with play the ProV. I hit a killer approach shot on our Par 4 number 10 last week. Tough hole. After yet another bomb drive I put my pitching wedge up the hill and about 8 inches from the hole for a kick in bird. One of our foursome walked up, looked my ball by the hole and said, "It's a Staff." I thought at first, "Where the heck is my Snell, then?" Well, he read it wrong. This ball arrived to my porch just as my game is experiencing a break-through. It's been great. I'm routinely 30, 50, sometimes 70 yards past my partners off the tee. I reached our par 5 #18 last week in 2. Something I've only seen done by the guy winning our recent club championship. And, I can really work this ball just how I want to. I really think Dean and team have a real winner on their hands. I understand endorsement contracts are what drive what we see on tv in the PGA. That facet is the only reason we aren't seeing a lot of these rolling along on the PGA tourney greens. For reference, I'm about a 15 now, improving. If I can get my dang wedges dialed - single digit soon. Was gaming the Srixon XV for a while, and Z Star (both very good balls IMO). I'm also putting better than I ever have since starting to game this ball.

> @"Snell Golf" said:

>

> Love the passion and collection of golf balls... just an fyi, we made a few versions of the TP RED LDP ball... some were sold in stores, and some were used by tour players on tour to win major championships. When I developed that ball at TaylorMade, my team made several different prototypes and I tested one on one with the TaylorMade staff tour players...as you can imagine, certain players liked certain features of the different balls, so we accommodated them (which is quite common for the tour players).

Sure @"Snell Golf" you can make a ball for guys who hit the sweet spot every time.....what I want to see is you produce a ball that will fade when I pull it, draw when I push it and back up on the green ONLY when I hit it past the pin!!!

In all seriousness, I love the Snell ball. Played it since the original ones came out and its all I play. Not because I am good enough to tell the small differences between it and other balls, but because I believe in what Dean and the Snell team are doing. Listening to him talk about golf balls on the various podcasts, you can just sense his passion for the game and the golf ball in particular. Keep doing what you do and allowing us to follow along on the ride!

• Like 2

Just another endorsement for Snell balls. I typically play the MTB balls (usually the black but I like the X as well) but this time of year in New England it's pretty hard to see a white ball and pretty hard to find balls even on the fairways at times so I switch to the Get Sum balls. Played my first round with it last week and really liked it (again). Snell makes really good balls for a good price and I see no reason to pay so much more for other manufacturer's balls (although I like to support Snell, Titliest and Callaway as they are all made in MA). The Get Sum ball performs really well this time of year and when it gets colder as well and you don't feel as guilty if some leaves gobble it up (leaf rule after all this time of year).

> @flushem said:

> Dean, as em-gee-es came with wet surface wedge test, I wonder if certain types of covers or balls perform better in wet condition such as early morning with dew; I am talking about wet balls, not wet club faces.

Typically, if there is water that will allow the ball to slide up the face, versus roll (to create spin), the spin rates will all be lower golf balls... of course, this will have a bigger impact on the higher spinning balls since they have more to lose with respect to spin. you always want to try to keep the face of the wedges very clean to help allow the grooves to work as designed. if the grooves get filled with grass or debris, this will have an impact on spin as well.

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> > @flushem said:

> > Dean, as em-gee-es came with wet surface wedge test, I wonder if certain types of covers or balls perform better in wet condition such as early morning with dew; I am talking about wet balls, not wet club faces.

>

> Typically, if there is water that will allow the ball to slide up the face, versus roll (to create spin), the spin rates will all be lower golf balls... of course, this will have a bigger impact on the higher spinning balls since they have more to lose with respect to spin. you always want to try to keep the face of the wedges very clean to help allow the grooves to work as designed. if the grooves get filled with grass or debris, this will have an impact on spin as well.

Thanx, Dean. In regards to "bigger impact on the higher spinning balls," would you recommend MTB Black or Get Some in wet condition? I clean up the club face religiously before and after hitting balls.

> @flushem said:

> > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > > @flushem said:

> > > Dean, as em-gee-es came with wet surface wedge test, I wonder if certain types of covers or balls perform better in wet condition such as early morning with dew; I am talking about wet balls, not wet club faces.

> >

> > Typically, if there is water that will allow the ball to slide up the face, versus roll (to create spin), the spin rates will all be lower golf balls... of course, this will have a bigger impact on the higher spinning balls since they have more to lose with respect to spin. you always want to try to keep the face of the wedges very clean to help allow the grooves to work as designed. if the grooves get filled with grass or debris, this will have an impact on spin as well.

>

> Thanx, Dean. In regards to "bigger impact on the higher spinning balls," would you recommend MTB Black or Get Some in wet condition? I clean up the club face religiously before and after hitting balls.

For sure MTB BLACK... much more short game spin and control. what you will lose if wet with MTB BLACK is still higher than non wet GET SUM...

• Like 1

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> > @flushem said:

> > > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > > > @flushem said:

> > > > Dean, as em-gee-es came with wet surface wedge test, I wonder if certain types of covers or balls perform better in wet condition such as early morning with dew; I am talking about wet balls, not wet club faces.

> > >

> > > Typically, if there is water that will allow the ball to slide up the face, versus roll (to create spin), the spin rates will all be lower golf balls... of course, this will have a bigger impact on the higher spinning balls since they have more to lose with respect to spin. you always want to try to keep the face of the wedges very clean to help allow the grooves to work as designed. if the grooves get filled with grass or debris, this will have an impact on spin as well.

> >

> > Thanx, Dean. In regards to "bigger impact on the higher spinning balls," would you recommend MTB Black or Get Some in wet condition? I clean up the club face religiously before and after hitting balls.

>

> For sure MTB BLACK... much more short game spin and control. what you will lose if wet with MTB BLACK is still higher than non wet GET SUM...

Since I game with Black (for years), I will take your advice and keep on playing them wet or dry.

I have a scenario for which I’d like to get some input from folks who know more than I do. I recently bought a test pack to compare X and Black. I documented earlier in this thread I chose the X for my game, since having more short game spin is something I shouldn’t take for granted.

So I’ve been playing the X for several weeks. On more than a couple occasions I have noticed the MTB-X kind of knuckle through the air and drop relatively quickly when I feel like I’ve put a really good driver swing on it. I’m not a particularly low spin guy with driver - do y’all think these drives were due to excessively low spin? I’ve recently been trying to get contact more centered on the face, and slightly above the “equator.” Granted, the last few weeks have been very windy conditions in north Texas. Perhaps that doesn’t help.

Is there anything that would remedy this? Would the Black be more conducive? I can put a mean slice on a few drives a round, so I don’t necessarily want even more spin. Hopefully this is appropriate for this thread.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

After playing the Chrome Soft since it came out, I played my first two rounds with the MTB-X this weekend, and I must say, it is an impressive golf ball. Marginally longer off the tee, significantly more spin off irons, and feels great chipping and putting, though a MUCH firmer feel than the Chrome Soft, obviously. I had played one round with a ProV1x on Thursday to see if I would like it and be ok with the firmer feel, which I was.

I change equipment on rarely, and ONLY when I think there is better than a good chance I'll benefit from the change, and after reading all the testing, AND in light of Callaway's issues with the Chrome Soft off-center cores, this seemed like a good opportunity. I was impressed enough that I ordered 5 doz more this morning against the possibility that these things are going to sell out. VERY hard to imagine a better ball at a similar price.

We did have a lot of temp questions, on which ball to play if it is cold. We have that link to video answer up on the website at snellgolf.com and also think it may be on youtube now.. (or will be shortly)... i am sure someone will cut and paste the link here.. thanks for the questions, and we will continue to answer them and post weekly..

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> We did have a lot of temp questions, on which ball to play if it is cold. We have that link to video answer up on the website at snellgolf.com and also think it may be on youtube now.. (or will be shortly)... i am sure someone will cut and paste the link here.. thanks for the questions, and we will continue to answer them and post weekly..

here is goes.

https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/does-temperature-affect-golf-ball-performance?utm_campaign=October%2029th%20Email%20Blast%20%28NDudey%29&utm_medium=email&variation=A&utm_source=Snell%20Golf%20Member%20List&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJqYWtleW9vbjY0QGdtYWlsLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIk5oNzNhTiJ9

Really lovin the MTB-X. Keep the seam, I think it helps my putting. Firm ball w a soft cover. Long as heck off the driver. Workable but doesn’t do stuff I don’t want it to do. Will remain a key component in my arsenal to take beer money from my buddies. More of these approaching my porch. Great job Dean...

• Like 1

> @flushem said:

> > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > We did have a lot of temp questions, on which ball to play if it is cold. We have that link to video answer up on the website at snellgolf.com and also think it may be on youtube now.. (or will be shortly)... i am sure someone will cut and paste the link here.. thanks for the questions, and we will continue to answer them and post weekly..

>

> here is goes.

>

> https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/does-temperature-affect-golf-ball-performance?utm_campaign=October%2029th%20Email%20Blast%20%28NDudey%29&utm_medium=email&variation=A&utm_source=Snell%20Golf%20Member%20List&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJqYWtleW9vbjY0QGdtYWlsLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIk5oNzNhTiJ9

another temperature test by TXG validating Dean's statement

> @BeerPerHole said:

> Really lovin the MTB-X. Keep the seam, I think it helps my putting. Firm ball w a soft cover. Long as heck off the driver. Workable but doesn’t do stuff I don’t want it to do. Will remain a key component in my arsenal to take beer money from my buddies. More of these approaching my porch. Great job Dean...

Ya, the whole seam issue was pretty relevant back in 2000 when the original PROV1 came out.. the dimples were in a row, and created distances differences if tee'd up along the seam. This was corrected a short time after, but the questions still exists if its better to hit along the seam with a driver.. The USGA symmetry test does not allow differences in flight no matter how the ball is tee'd up... so every ball has a seam, some are just hidden more than others, but to pass the USGA, they all must fly the same distance no matter how they are hit off the tee...We like the dimple pattern we use today because it has low lift and low drag, which helps the ball in second stage of flight, and produces longer carry and added roll, making the ball long off the tee..

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> > @BeerPerHole said:

> > Really lovin the MTB-X. Keep the seam, I think it helps my putting. Firm ball w a soft cover. Long as heck off the driver. Workable but doesn’t do stuff I don’t want it to do. Will remain a key component in my arsenal to take beer money from my buddies. More of these approaching my porch. Great job Dean...

>

> Ya, the whole seam issue was pretty relevant back in 2000 when the original PROV1 came out.. the dimples were in a row, and created distances differences if tee'd up along the seam. This was corrected a short time after, but the questions still exists if its better to hit along the seam with a driver.. The USGA symmetry test does not allow differences in flight no matter how the ball is tee'd up... so every ball has a seam, some are just hidden more than others, but to pass the USGA, they all must fly the same distance no matter how they are hit off the tee...We like the dimple pattern we use today because it has low lift and low drag, which helps the ball in second stage of flight, and produces longer carry and added roll, making the ball long off the tee..

That still holds true to this day in the superstition department. I see guys line up the alignment aid with the belief that the ball will go straighter and longer etc etc. old habits die hard