SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

I have played both the Blacks and the X's and love them both. The X seems to be longer, but on occasion's i seem to hit the blacks straighter. I struggle with a push or slice, so I'm looking for the ball (Black or X) that would have less side spin, but still hold the greens. Any suggestions would be great, Thanks

> @flushem said:

> Dean, you comment on new Ksig 4 fluke and Pearl Golf balls as old Ksig 4 is being revived?

As I had mentioned last year, the original Kirkland ball was made in limited inventory, and released in small batches from month to month. Great marketing by Costco to stay in the news, but this is why they sold out in just a few hours or days after release. The amounts were very small in the golf ball world. And yes, I do know the volumes, since I am very familiar with the factory, process, tooling and monthly capacities that can be produced. Great golf ball they originally released (if I do say so myself, hint hint)...but it is gone from Nassau and not being made and sold anymore... the new Kirkland balls are made in China, and are not thermoset urethane covers, they are thermoplastic covers... Same thermoplastic covers and same tooling that Nike used when they were in the ball business... there are several different thermplastic covers (formulations) out there used by Bridgestone and Srixon which are excellent, but this cover is not that same technology. Each company has their own technologies and formulations, so wanted to be clear that all thermoplastic urethanes are not the same.

• Like 1

I’m curious to hear if anyone else has compared the Black and the X lately and which they chose. I played both on Saturday to figure out what I liked, but I had limited availability to hit the same shot with each due to traffic on the course. Both felt good off putter, the Black seemed a bit more responsive. It went the distance I expected with the X being maybe 5-10% shorter on what seemed like a similar stroke. I could get used to either.

Short game - it seemed that the X stopped quicker, but I need to do more testing.

Driver - I honestly didn’t put enough good swings on them in 11 holes to be able to make a conclusion.

However, the fact that I lost two Blacks and didn’t lose any X’s might be all I need to know!

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

> @Arlin964 said:

> I’m curious to hear if anyone else has compared the Black and the X lately and which they chose. I played both on Saturday to figure out what I liked, but I had limited availability to hit the same shot with each due to traffic on the course. Both felt good off putter, the Black seemed a bit more responsive. It went the distance I expected with the X being maybe 5-10% shorter on what seemed like a similar stroke. I could get used to either.

>

> Short game - it seemed that the X stopped quicker, but I need to do more testing.

>

> Driver - I honestly didn’t put enough good swings on them in 11 holes to be able to make a conclusion.

>

> However, the fact that I lost two Blacks and didn’t lose any X’s might be all I need to know!

I've lost a lot of balls of various brands in all the years I've played, and I never thought it was the ball's fault.

> @caniac6 said:

> > @Arlin964 said:

> > I’m curious to hear if anyone else has compared the Black and the X lately and which they chose. I played both on Saturday to figure out what I liked, but I had limited availability to hit the same shot with each due to traffic on the course. Both felt good off putter, the Black seemed a bit more responsive. It went the distance I expected with the X being maybe 5-10% shorter on what seemed like a similar stroke. I could get used to either.

> >

> > Short game - it seemed that the X stopped quicker, but I need to do more testing.

> >

> > Driver - I honestly didn’t put enough good swings on them in 11 holes to be able to make a conclusion.

> >

> > However, the fact that I lost two Blacks and didn’t lose any X’s might be all I need to know!

>

> I've lost a lot of balls of various brands in all the years I've played, and I never thought it was the ball's fault.

?

I played an impromptu hodgepodge of 9 holes this evening. Played several balls on most shots and was also testing distances for my new irons and wedges. I ended up losing another MTB Black. I tried losing one of the MTB-X on multiple occasions but it found me every time. It just wanted to stick around!

Overall assessment is that the X goes a few yards further off most of my clubs and rolls out less on good wedge shots. Feels just fine off the putter too. I think I’m declaring the MTB-X my ball for a while. Now I need to get some yellow for winter.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

> @"Snell Golf" said:

And yes, I do know the volumes, since I am very familiar with the factory, process, tooling and monthly capacities that can be produced. **Great golf ball they originally released (if I do say so myself, hint hint)** >

If anybody has followed TM golf ball construction/specs (CTU, 4 piece, 360 dimples) from say 2008 forward it's pretty easy to figure out what TM ball the original 4 piece K-Sig was. Most won't bother to research it as it will bust their unicorn ball myth. It was an awesome ball.

> @grm24 said:

> > @"Snell Golf" said:

> And yes, I do know the volumes, since I am very familiar with the factory, process, tooling and monthly capacities that can be produced. **Great golf ball they originally released (if I do say so myself, hint hint)** >

>

>

>

> If anybody has followed TM golf ball construction/specs (CTU, 4 piece, 360 dimples) from say 2008 forward it's pretty easy to figure out what TM ball the original 4 piece K-Sig was. Most won't bother to research it as it will bust their unicorn ball myth. It was an awesome ball.

>

>

If you are implying it was the TP Red LDP, I can tell you the original Ksig was not that ball. I have already dispelled that notion here in this thread long ago.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @Backsidefloater said:

> When's the next sale?

You think this is Walmart? Premium balls at very fair prices don't need to run sales. Discount if you buy 5 dozen.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @grm24 said:

> > @"Snell Golf" said:

> And yes, I do know the volumes, since I am very familiar with the factory, process, tooling and monthly capacities that can be produced. **Great golf ball they originally released (if I do say so myself, hint hint)** >

>

>

>

> If anybody has followed TM golf ball construction/specs (CTU, 4 piece, 360 dimples) from say 2008 forward it's pretty easy to figure out what TM ball the original 4 piece K-Sig was. Most won't bother to research it as it will bust their unicorn ball myth. It was an awesome ball.

>

>

I've been playing the MBT-X, and think it is a fantastic ball. This week I found a sleeve of the MBT Black that were part of a test pack, and I really like that, too. My big problem now is that I can't decide which one I like best. I guess having a choice is a good thing! I play almost every day, and have played every premium brand, but, mostly Titleist. I've got to say that Snell is as good, or better than any ball out there.

> @trackcoach13 said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > And yes, I do know the volumes, since I am very familiar with the factory, process, tooling and monthly capacities that can be produced. **Great golf ball they originally released (if I do say so myself, hint hint)** >

> >

> >

> >

> > If anybody has followed TM golf ball construction/specs (CTU, 4 piece, 360 dimples) from say 2008 forward it's pretty easy to figure out what TM ball the original 4 piece K-Sig was. Most won't bother to research it as it will bust their unicorn ball myth. It was an awesome ball.

> >

> >

> If you are implying it was the TP Red LDP, I can tell you the original Ksig was not that ball. I have already dispelled that notion here in this thread long ago.

>

I did not imply any specific ball... but sorry I missed the post on when dispelled it not being a specific ball.. can you please re post that so I can take a look to see how you came to your conclusions...thanks.

> @trackcoach13 said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > And yes, I do know the volumes, since I am very familiar with the factory, process, tooling and monthly capacities that can be produced. **Great golf ball they originally released (if I do say so myself, hint hint)** >

> >

> >

> >

> > If anybody has followed TM golf ball construction/specs (CTU, 4 piece, 360 dimples) from say 2008 forward it's pretty easy to figure out what TM ball the original 4 piece K-Sig was. Most won't bother to research it as it will bust their unicorn ball myth. It was an awesome ball.

> >

> >

> If you are implying it was the TP Red LDP, I can tell you the original Ksig was not that ball. I have already dispelled that notion here in this thread long ago.

>

I'm with Dean on this one. Show the goods that it's not and please provide what ball you think it is.

> @Arlin964 said:

> I’m curious to hear if anyone else has compared the Black and the X lately and which they chose. I played both on Saturday to figure out what I liked, but I had limited availability to hit the same shot with each due to traffic on the course. Both felt good off putter, the Black seemed a bit more responsive. It went the distance I expected with the X being maybe 5-10% shorter on what seemed like a similar stroke. I could get used to either.

>

> Short game - it seemed that the X stopped quicker, but I need to do more testing.

>

> Driver - I honestly didn’t put enough good swings on them in 11 holes to be able to make a conclusion.

>

> However, the fact that I lost two Blacks and didn’t lose any X’s might be all I need to know!

I was selected to review the MTB-X for that other website, and compared it with the Black, which I have been playing since it came out. In short, I concluded that Snell did exactly what they advertised. For me, the X spins more than the Black with short irons and partial swings, but is very similar to the Black for both short game, longer irons, and driver. In the end, I decided to stay with the Black, but I'll probably revisit that decision when I run out. for better or worse, I just got 5 dozen Black, so I'm set for a while.

• Like 1

> @Arlin964 said:

>

>

>

I spent all summer going back and forth between the two of them. It was a really tough call, but I decided to stick with the Black. I seem to score a little better with the Black, and it was rare that I needed the increased spin that the X provides . But, man, does it spin! So, the Black is my #1 choice going forward. FWIW, I"ll probably always keep some of the X's around, just in case!

• Like 1

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > > And yes, I do know the volumes, since I am very familiar with the factory, process, tooling and monthly capacities that can be produced. **Great golf ball they originally released (if I do say so myself, hint hint)** >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > If anybody has followed TM golf ball construction/specs (CTU, 4 piece, 360 dimples) from say 2008 forward it's pretty easy to figure out what TM ball the original 4 piece K-Sig was. Most won't bother to research it as it will bust their unicorn ball myth. It was an awesome ball.

> > >

> > >

> > If you are implying it was the TP Red LDP, I can tell you the original Ksig was not that ball. I have already dispelled that notion here in this thread long ago.

> >

>

> I did not imply any specific ball... but sorry I missed the post on when dispelled it not being a specific ball.. can you please re post that so I can take a look to see how you came to your conclusions...thanks.

I never said you implied anything. GM24 implied from your hint that the orig KSIG was the TP Red LDP. My earlier post mistakenly said it was in this thread but it was in the Kirkland thread two years ago where I demonstrated with photos that the balls were not the same. Similar design but the kirkland outer mantle layers were measurably larger with a smaller core than the TP Red LDP. I would know since I have 20 dozen of each. I took apart both balls and measured core size as well as each mantle thickness with a micrometer. Not the same.

BTW, I have at least 1 or 2 sleeves of most major tour balls made since 1999. Kind of like a golf ball museum,

FWIW, I played both TP Red LDP and TP Black LDP today on whim due to the earlier comment. They are still a fantastic ball even though 11 years old.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @trackcoach13 said:

> > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > > > And yes, I do know the volumes, since I am very familiar with the factory, process, tooling and monthly capacities that can be produced. **Great golf ball they originally released (if I do say so myself, hint hint)** >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > If anybody has followed TM golf ball construction/specs (CTU, 4 piece, 360 dimples) from say 2008 forward it's pretty easy to figure out what TM ball the original 4 piece K-Sig was. Most won't bother to research it as it will bust their unicorn ball myth. It was an awesome ball.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > If you are implying it was the TP Red LDP, I can tell you the original Ksig was not that ball. I have already dispelled that notion here in this thread long ago.

> > >

> >

> > I did not imply any specific ball... but sorry I missed the post on when dispelled it not being a specific ball.. can you please re post that so I can take a look to see how you came to your conclusions...thanks.

>

> I never said you implied anything. GM24 implied from your hint that the orig KSIG was the TP Red LDP. My earlier post mistakenly said it was in this thread but it was in the Kirkland thread two years ago where I demonstrated with photos that the balls were not the same. Similar design but the kirkland outer mantle layers were measurably larger with a smaller core than the TP Red LDP. I would know since I have 20 dozen of each. I took apart both balls and measured core size as well as each mantle thickness with a micrometer. Not the same.

>

> BTW, I have at least 1 or 2 sleeves of most major tour balls made since 1999. Kind of like a golf ball museum,

>

> FWIW, I played both TP Red LDP and TP Black LDP today on whim due to the earlier comment. They are still a fantastic ball even though 11 years old.

Love the passion and collection of golf balls... just an fyi, we made a few versions of the TP RED LDP ball... some were sold in stores, and some were used by tour players on tour to win major championships. When I developed that ball at TaylorMade, my team made several different prototypes and I tested one on one with the TaylorMade staff tour players...as you can imagine, certain players liked certain features of the different balls, so we accommodated them (which is quite common for the tour players).

• Like 2

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > > > > And yes, I do know the volumes, since I am very familiar with the factory, process, tooling and monthly capacities that can be produced. **Great golf ball they originally released (if I do say so myself, hint hint)** >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > If anybody has followed TM golf ball construction/specs (CTU, 4 piece, 360 dimples) from say 2008 forward it's pretty easy to figure out what TM ball the original 4 piece K-Sig was. Most won't bother to research it as it will bust their unicorn ball myth. It was an awesome ball.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > If you are implying it was the TP Red LDP, I can tell you the original Ksig was not that ball. I have already dispelled that notion here in this thread long ago.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I did not imply any specific ball... but sorry I missed the post on when dispelled it not being a specific ball.. can you please re post that so I can take a look to see how you came to your conclusions...thanks.

> >

> > I never said you implied anything. GM24 implied from your hint that the orig KSIG was the TP Red LDP. My earlier post mistakenly said it was in this thread but it was in the Kirkland thread two years ago where I demonstrated with photos that the balls were not the same. Similar design but the kirkland outer mantle layers were measurably larger with a smaller core than the TP Red LDP. I would know since I have 20 dozen of each. I took apart both balls and measured core size as well as each mantle thickness with a micrometer. Not the same.

> >

> > BTW, I have at least 1 or 2 sleeves of most major tour balls made since 1999. Kind of like a golf ball museum,

> >

> > FWIW, I played both TP Red LDP and TP Black LDP today on whim due to the earlier comment. They are still a fantastic ball even though 11 years old.

>

> Love the passion and collection of golf balls... just an fyi, we made a few versions of the TP RED LDP ball... some were sold in stores, and some were used by tour players on tour to win major championships. When I developed that ball at TaylorMade, my team made several different prototypes and I tested one on one with the TaylorMade staff tour players...as you can imagine, certain players liked certain features of the different balls, so we accommodated them (which is quite common for the tour players).

The TM Red LDP was one incredible ball....Dean, how would you compare the MTB-X to it?

Try this one on for size. The MTB-X is my gamer and I'm a slow swinger. Just can't find anything that plays longer or more accurately. Love the way it plays on approach shots into the green. With that said, I always like to have a backup plan. So, I've tried a bunch of balls to see which one seems to give me similar results. Here is the ones that I would consider playing if Snell Golf suddenly went out of business...

1. Oncore Elixir - feels really good and just a little shorter on drives. Not as much spin and as reliable on approach shots.

2. Bridgestone RX - shorter on drives, but seems to be similar distance with irons. Seems to run out a little more on shots into the green.

Obviously, my first choice would be the MTB-Black, but if Snell was gone, I wouldn't be able to play it either.

> @Imp said:

> How do the MTB-X fare in cold weather, like... 50-60 degrees? Should I go to my cold weather balls instead?

Great question! I just this week settled on making the MTB-X my ball. But now that the summer season is winding down and leaves are starting to drop onto the DFW Bermudagrass, I may sometimes play some shagbag balls or something cheap/soft. Nothing worse than losing what seems like a great shot in the fairway.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

> @Arlin964 said:

> > @Imp said:

> > How do the MTB-X fare in cold weather, like... 50-60 degrees? Should I go to my cold weather balls instead?

>

> Great question! I just this week settled on making the MTB-X my ball. But now that the summer season is winding down and leaves are starting to drop onto the DFW Bermudagrass, I may sometimes play some shagbag balls or something cheap/soft. Nothing worse than losing what seems like a great shot in the fairway.

>

New forum format problems - don’t know how to edit a post on mobile. Considering the above, has anyone tried the Get Sum balls?

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

> @Arlin964 said:

> > @Imp said:

> > How do the MTB-X fare in cold weather, like... 50-60 degrees? Should I go to my cold weather balls instead?

>

> Great question! I just this week settled on making the MTB-X my ball. But now that the summer season is winding down and leaves are starting to drop onto the DFW Bermudagrass, I may sometimes play some shagbag balls or something cheap/soft. Nothing worse than losing what seems like a great shot in the fairway.

>

I played the MTB-X this week and it was 6 C (42 F) when we teed off. No issues with the cooler weather at all.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Typically I'm a mid to softter compression urethane ball player (ZStar, Chrome Soft, etc...). After all the recent test results have come out, I've decided to take a look at firmer, allegedly faster balls. I'm playing my first round with the MTB-X this Sunday. Hopefully there's no loss in iron distances and green side spin but I am looking for a bump in ball speed / distance off the tee.

Looks wise, I've been impressed by the finish, color and lettering.

I tried the test pack of MTB Black and MTB X's. I'm a 3 handicap with a driver speed in the 105 mph range. Overall I really liked both balls. I could not tell much difference off the putter, if anything I thought the X might have felt slightly softer which surprised me. Maybe it is just my putter? Curious what others think off the putter.

I didn't get much difference in feel off the short irons. The X spun a little more on my 150 yard shots (9 iron) but not a lot. Where I noticed the most difference was 60 yards and in and the short pitches around the green where the X spun quite a bit more (for me at least). I didn't try the driver yet, I just played 9 holes hitting (3) Blacks and (3) X's from 150 yards and in. My course has pretty firm greens (PGA Tour stop) so I tend to need as much spin as I can get. Unless something odd comes up when I hit the driver I'm probably going to go with a few dozen of the X's.

On another note, I've played yellow balls for a few years now. At over 50 years of age I just see the stupid yellow ones significantly better. So glad that Snell came out with a yellow option!

> @Arlin964 said:

> > @Arlin964 said:

> > > @Imp said:

> > > How do the MTB-X fare in cold weather, like... 50-60 degrees? Should I go to my cold weather balls instead?

> >

> > Great question! I just this week settled on making the MTB-X my ball. But now that the summer season is winding down and leaves are starting to drop onto the DFW Bermudagrass, I may sometimes play some shagbag balls or something cheap/soft. Nothing worse than losing what seems like a great shot in the fairway.

> >

>

> New forum format problems - don’t know how to edit a post on mobile. Considering the above, has anyone tried the Get Sum balls?

Love them. Shot my lowest round ever with a Get Sum (in warm weather...). Ball does what you ask of it. I'll game them again for sure.