SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

8 hours ago, GDB67 said:

How does one tell the difference between TPU and Cast urethane? Without knowing before hand. 

They aren't going to be distinguishable just from looking at the finished ball. But knowing what factory they were made in usually tells you, although there may be occasional exceptions where a single factory does both kinds. 

42 minutes ago, North Butte said:

They aren't going to be distinguishable just from looking at the finished ball. But knowing what factory they were made in usually tells you, although there may be occasional exceptions where a single factory does both kinds. 

I think the question is more, how can one tell the difference "performance-wise"?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

I think the question is more, how can one tell the difference "performance-wise"?

A golf ball design involves choices of half a dozen or more materials plus dozens of other parameters. You can only judge the complete package.

Not that it stops people from swearing they can perceive the effect of one specific element. Millions of golfers believe "low compression" makes a ball perform better for them. Or for that matter, believe that such-and-such specific alloy of stainless steel in a putter makes it perform better than other types of stainless. 

But you can't go out and hit a bunch of shots with a golf ball and tell what kind of urethane is in the cover (or what kind of ionomer is in the mantle or how many layers of paint are on the surface) any more than you can hit a bunch of driver shots and tell what sort of carbon fiber is used in the shaft.

• Like 4

On 4/26/2024 at 9:30 AM, scott406 said:

I purposely tried to blade the ball to test the cover, but apparently I can only do that when I am playing on the weekend for money.

11 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Wrx quote of the day!

I did blade a ball on Sunday while playing for money

Not too bad, didn't fly the green or anything.  

Ball came out in great shape

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Found an MTB-X on the course today and played it on the last hole. Remembered why I loved that ball so much. I am hoping the 4.0 is very similar. @Snell Golf should this be the case?

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

I wouldn’t call it clicky just a subtle click, on the softer side of clicky is what I get with my  mezz.  I would actually prefer it have more click but it’s enough to keep me happy. After 3 rounds the only thing that will keep me from playing this ball would be the 4.0. Hopefully I get them soon, I want to order the 3.0 yellow before they’re all gone, would hate to do that without giving the 4.0 a go to be sure.

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

Ordered a tour test pack. 6 balls 3.0 6 4.0. Excited to test. 

14 hours ago, Flyers99 said:

Can anyone comment more on the 3.0 off the putter?  I am disappointed the limited reviews seem to say they are clicky.  I was hoping for a softer version in this years balls but doesn’t seem to be the case. 

This is more of a personal issue to me. 

I personally feel it to be clicky off of my putter, but another person may not.

It is clicky off of the putter I am using but may not be off they putter you are using.

I am putting with a Cobra Widesport with an aluminum face.  Almost all of the balls have some click to them when putting with that version of a Cobra.

The Snell just had more of a click to it than the ball I normally use (Triad, BridgeStone XS)

I do not get the clicky sensation when hitting irons or wedges but someone else might.

If you are on the fence, I would say order some and judge for yourself

If the only knock you can find is the "clickyness" (is that a word?), it is worth a try to see if you find the same result.  

Best of luck

• Like 1

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Ball- Wilson Triad 

11 minutes ago, scott406 said:

This is more of a personal issue to me. 

I personally feel it to be clicky off of my putter, but another person may not.

It is clicky off of the putter I am using but may not be off they putter you are using.

I am putting with a Cobra Widesport with an aluminum face.  Almost all of the balls have some click to them when putting with that version of a Cobra.

The Snell just had more of a click to it than the ball I normally use (Triad, BridgeStone XS)

I do not get the clicky sensation when hitting irons or wedges but someone else might.

If you are on the fence, I would say order some and judge for yourself

If the only knock you can find is the "clickyness" (is that a word?), it is worth a try to see if you find the same result.  

Best of luck

thanks for review, hmmmm, not big on clickiness  the OG MTB Black I felt was clicky, was hoping for softer

2 minutes ago, monks66 said:

thanks for review, hmmmm, not big on clickiness  the OG MTB Black I felt was clicky, was hoping for softer

I did not find the OG Black clicky at all

So if you think the OG Black was clicky then I am not sure you will be on board for the 3.0

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Ball- Wilson Triad 

20 hours ago, monks66 said:

I just may give the 2.0 a shot, for softness, I will sacrifice the green side spin for softness, but being its a urethane cover, it will spin ok

I bought a box of 2.0 and 3.0, and prefer the feel of the 2.0. I was still spinning my 8 iron at 6000 rpm on Trackman with it. My 8-iron is 35 degrees, so not too low spinning in my opinion.

I have only played with the new balls in dewy morning grass, so I don't spin it too much around the greens in those conditions.

Definitely worth a shot!

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 10.5˚ Ventus Blue Velocore+ 

Taylormade Qi10 3W 15˚ KBS TD 

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 5W 18˚ KBS TD 

Ping G425 22˚H - KBS Tour Prototype

PXG 0317T 5-GW KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 54˚-10S and 58˚-08M KBS Tour

Spider Tour CB 38" or Lajosi Lawson Longneck Proto

Maxfli Tour X

Another nine holes yesterday.  Things that are becoming more apparent:

Distance is good. If the MTB Prime had a weakness it was in irons distance - the ball definitely feels and seems longer off irons than the Prime.  But it’s relative “softness” is still delivering good distance off the tee - I don’t have any track man numbers or anything but yesterday with a very wet course and basically no roll I was getting 260-270 off the tee based on GPS. That’s really good for me especially with so little roll. 

The wetness makes things a little tricky to figure (wet club faces generally means less spin) and this may just be the marketing but it really doesn’t seem super duper spinny on short approach shots. Around the green it will grab and check even with a bit of wetness.  Again with soft greens it’s hard to really tell because everything just kind of hits and stops but I wasn’t ripping anything back for sure - the 4.0 says it has more spin on short irons and I will be really interested to see if that’s the case.   

Durability is fine and more than acceptable. 

Yes it clicks on my milled face putter.  I didn’t make anything yesterday but it wasn’t the balls fault.  

It’s definitely a better ball than the Prime, all that’s left now is to compare it to the 4.0. I think I’ll stick in the 3.0 but you never know.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, zlawson36 said:

I bought a box of 2.0 and 3.0, and prefer the feel of the 2.0. I was still spinning my 8 iron at 6000 rpm on Trackman with it. My 8-iron is 35 degrees, so not too low spinning in my opinion.

I have only played with the new balls in dewy morning grass, so I don't spin it too much around the greens in those conditions.

Definitely worth a shot!

Let us know how the 2.0 plays. I prefer 2 piece balls due to cost and they play straight. But, the lack of greenside spin is always a problem. 

I'm curious how these may compare to the Costco Ksig. I was good with the Ksigs. But, these 2.0's seem like an interesting ball. 

Edited by Tanner25
  • Like 1

My tour test pack comes in Monday. I am excited 

Got my yellow 3.0 and my 4.0s today!

But it’s my anniversary weekend AND my Mother in Laws 70th birthday so…probably no golf. 

And then it’s supposed to rain Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. So we’ll see when I can get out for first impressions of the 4.0. 

A bit hard to see in the picture but the yellow isn’t as neon as the old MTB-X or the ProV1. 

IMG_2850.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

got my test pack today and only had a chance to putt a few in my basement due to weather.  Also hit a few with a 7 iron in my hitting bay.

Definitely did not like the feel of the Get Sum or the 2.0 off the putter.  Felt harsh.

3.0  definitely felt softer off the putter than the 2.0 which is supposed to be the softer feeling ball.  3.0 actually reminded me a lot of the Chrome soft which is my gamer.  3.0 felt really good off the 7i.  Didn't get any statistics yet because I only put a few swings on it.

Did not hit the 4.0 yet.

Hope to do some real comparisons tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 1:39 PM, Rbsiedsc said:

Found an MTB-X on the course today and played it on the last hole. Remembered why I loved that ball so much. I am hoping the 4.0 is very similar. @Snell Golf should this be the case?

Go back a few pages and look at who "liked" your post when you previously asked. 😉

I miss the MTB-X and am also looking forward to playing my recently arrived 4.0s, but those will have to wait until league play on thurs/fri. Tomorrow I have a tournament round at a really old course close to T-Swizzles RI home (may stop by for lunch afterwards if she's around) and don't want to introduce any new variables into my game. 

Edited by Imp
  • Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

1 hour ago, Imp said:

Go back a few pages and look at who "liked" your post when you previously asked. 😉

I miss the MTB-X and am also looking forward to playing my recently arrived 4.0s, but those will have to wait until league play on thurs/fri. Tomorrow I have a tournament round at a really old course close to T-Swizzles RI home (may stop by for lunch afterwards if she's around) and don't want to introduce any new variables into my game. 

I’ll try to let folks after my nine this am. Will try at least one hole with the 4.0s. It’s a balmy 39° right now and I’m leaving for the course soon. 

1 hour ago, rainkingjr said:

Played and entire round with the Prime 4.0 yesterday. A single ball lasted the whole round. Ended up with one light scuff mark which was from a bunker (we had rain the night before so the bunkers had a large amount of exposed pebbles)  Not the balls fault as any ball would have been lightly scuffed in that circumstance. On the practice green beforehand, I putted side by side with an MTB X. To my ear what I was feeling was that the two balls felt very close with the Prime 4.0 being a little softer. I heard no discernable click with either. I used my current Cleveland HB Soft milled 5 and also brought my Cleveland Design by Ben Crenshaw along.  As for performance, the Prime 4.0 was as good as anything else I've used concerning distance. No wind to speak of today so I couldn't judge wind performance. Greenside spin was fantastic and iron spin was more than ample. Can't wait to give it another go soon in drier conditions. Excited to be able to go back to Snell full time. Only small gripe is that I really miss the old logo. I can deal with that though.

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

• Haha 1

The more I play this ball(3.0) the more I like it

Had a good breeze on the course and this ball did not seem to be affected

Just tore right through the wind

I am holding onto the remaining 3.0 I have left until I get my PXG putter back to see if that makes a difference with the "clickyness" off the putter.

• Like 1

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Posted (edited)

just finished my nine with both balls. New gamer will be the 4.0. It’s kind of like left dot to me. Launched lower than the 3.0 for me. Much better stopping power. On pitches and chips the 4.0 stopped 3-5 yards sooner. Driver distance seemed like a wash but I also didn’t hit it well today. 3.0 is a little mushy whereas the 4.0 is solid. Played in 40° weather. Fairways were soaked due to 4” of rain over the weekend and I. Rough shape from carts from a tournament there this weekend. 

added, off the putter I didn’t notice a click but both for sure were less soft that the BX. 

Edited by Rbsiedsc
  • Like 3