2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Longest tour ball

dadonkey

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='CDSchalch' timestamp='1428971715' post='11352003']
In the "X" category of balls (Pro V1x, TPX, Z star XV, b330, etc.) which is the longest off the tee? Any unbiased data/tests out there that show?
[/quote]

You may want to try to do research based on your swing speed to help narrow it down. I have not found any noitcable difference in distance between most balls, but my swing speeds aren't very high

I will open by saying I believe that if you hit 1000 of each ball with an Iron Byron, and measured all the mean distances, you'd find they were within 1% of each other in distance. Ok, that out of the way?

With the B330 I have hit my longest drives. On Trackman, using B330, I get the best ball speed numbers. On the Bridgestone fitting, the B330 performed the best for me. Even compared to the ProV1x and Hex Black.

I've hit some really good drives with the Hex Black and ProV1x, but I've never recorded a personal record, or even a longest drive on a particular hole with anything but a B330. For pure distance, with my swing, I go with B330. I score no different with a ProV1x or B330.

For giggles, I am going to try the Callaway Chromesoft.

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1429020061' post='11355419']
I will open by saying I believe that if you hit 1000 of each ball with an Iron Byron, and measured all the mean distances, you'd find they were within 1% of each other in distance. Ok, that out of the way?

With the B330 I have hit my longest drives. On Trackman, using B330, I get the best ball speed numbers. On the Bridgestone fitting, the B330 performed the best for me. Even compared to the ProV1x and Hex Black.

I've hit some really good drives with the Hex Black and ProV1x, but I've never recorded a personal record, or even a longest drive on a particular hole with anything but a B330. For pure distance, with my swing, I go with B330. I score no different with a ProV1x or B330.

[/quote]
Like to hear about your review and comparisons with the CS.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Absolutely without a doubt Nike RZN Black if your swing speed can handle it.

Z-Star XV is long too.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I would say Pro-V1x, and TM Tour Preferred X, and Srixon Z-Star XV, are all pretty up there distance wise.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[/quote]

I've always felt the B330 gets the best distance. If I hit 2 off the tee the B330 is usually 5-10 farther, for me.

All the balls listed are quality balls. I have the most experience with the B330 and Prov1x. The B330 goes slightly farther for me off the tee, about 5 yards. Depending on your individual launch and spin, any of those balls could be the longest for you.

I have not tested the srixon xv in the current model. I have tested previous x models by srixon and was always underwhelmed especially with distance off the tee. I know others that love the distance off the tee with that ball though.

Ping G430 Max 10K digitally lofted 8.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue Velo+ 6X
Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 15 degree Diamana BF 70tx
Callaway Apex UW 19 GD AD TP-8x
Ping iCrossover 4 GD AD IZ-95x, Mizuno Pro 225 5 iron, Mizuno Pro 223 6-G Project X LZ Blackout 6.5
TM MG3 56 TW grind DG TI X100, TM MG4 60 SB C grind DG TI S400
LAB GOLF MEZZ1 LAB golf TPT shaft

I would say consistently the Z Star XV is the longest tour ball for me off of the tee but I have probably hit my longest drives with a Pro V1x. Its almost like they have hot spots where if you catch them just right it unmistakably is a different feel and outcome. That's just me though. Could be mental.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I'm only a 10.2 hc, and I played two different balls yesterday, the Titlest ProV1-x and the Topflite Gamer Tour. Now I know I will get flamed for this, but I couldn't tell the difference. Neither one would make my game better or worse. I think higher hc's should be most concerned with keeping the ball in the fairway and out of the hazards. No doubt, the PV1 is a great ball, but I don't think most double digit cappers will get game improvement from them. Go ahead, spend the money, it's fun playing what the pros play, but that's where it ends. Flame away!

Yeah, like others have said we are all different.

But what others see in the B330 I see in the RZN Black. When hitting the RZN Black side by side with the XV, V1X, SR3... the RZN is always 5 yards further on similar contact. Maybe the trajectory meshes well with my game.

Makes me wanna try the B330 thou... I've never hit it.

L.A.B Link.1

[quote name='Mahamilto' timestamp='1429026604' post='11356227']
Absolutely without a doubt Nike RZN Black if your swing speed can handle it.

Z-Star XV is long too.
[/quote]

If your a high spin player, I've seen similar results between the RZN black and Taylor Made Tour Preferred X. Both off the driver for me go further than any other ball you mentioned.

[quote name='drvrwdge' timestamp='1429058459' post='11360435']
RZN Black was to clicky off all clubs for me.

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile
[/quote]

I overall agree with this. It is clickier than most of the other Tour X balls I've played. It is the one thing that left a bit to be desired for me in this ball, but the driver distance may be in part to this "hardness" when you have the thump to put into this.

Lately I have been giving the Srixon XV a run on a friends recommendation, and I think the XV is a more "well-rounded" ball than the RZN Blk. It feels softer, and I definately prefer the XV off my irons. For me the RZN black only beats the XV slightly in driver distance, and is the same distance wise off other clubs, with a small possibility the XV actually gets a touch more yardage with shorter irons, again possibly because of how hard the RZN Black is.

After comparing the RZN Black and XV a bunch, I think the XV is possibly a better ball for my game as a whole. This is due to the improved feel and virtually negligable distance loss of driver with the XV, and the fact that the XV I am using is last years model and only 25-30 a dozen right now. If I'm in a long drive vs. a buddy I still pull the RZN, but my two lowest rounds this season were both with the XV... something to be said for that for sure.

I haven't tried the TPX or B330... but hear good things.

With the "X" type tour balls it seems to be a bit of a trade off here and there. The longest ones are firmer usually, the softest shorter. The ProV1x feels pretty darn soft to me, and I lose 10 yards to the RZN Black. The XV is not as hard as the RZN, not as soft as the PV1x, and I get 5 yards more vs the PV1x and lose about 5 to the RZN. I don't mind losing 5 yards for some feel and control, but 10 is pushing it. Add in the fact that the PV1x shows a bit more undersireable sidespin on my drives and the near 50 per dozen price and it becomes obvious that I'm not going to bag the ProV1x, though it is clearly a wonderful, well balanced golf ball.

These are just my takes on things...

L.A.B Link.1

For me, on Trackman and the course, 2015 V1x and TPx are the longest with driver.

2015 V1x is longer than TPx with everything else in my bag.

PS - 2013 V1x is not as long as 2015, for me.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[/quote]

It is a little bit, but I don't find it that bad once your used to it. If you want similar distance, good wind performance, and a softer feel, I think the TM TP x is the best ball out there.

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1429069305' post='11361859']
For me, on Trackman and the course, 2015 V1x and TPx are the longest with driver.

[/quote]

I have been hearing the '15 Pro V1X is longer than the '13. This has peaked my interest, although I don't really need anymore length to be honest. What always killed me with the V1X was the driver side spin and full wedge spin. Generally soft conditions where I play and it sucks hitting good wedge shots that spin back 25 ft.

I am also interested in the TM TPx but I really hate how they change the name of the ball every iteration..

Been playing the XV and I like it but there is just something about looking down at that Titleist logo that inspires confidence, just wished it performed a little better.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

[quote name='drvrwdge' timestamp='1429107516' post='11364179']
[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1429069305' post='11361859']

[/quote]

I have been hearing the '15 Pro V1X is longer than the '13. This has peaked my interest, although I don't really need anymore length to be honest. What always killed me with the V1X was the driver side spin and full wedge spin. Generally soft conditions where I play and it sucks hitting good wedge shots that spin back 25 ft.

I am also interested in the TM TPx but I really hate how they change the name of the ball every iteration..
[/quote]

If you are looking for a ball that doesn't rip back with wedges and a fast swing speed, look no further than TM TPx. Feels very similar to 2013 V1x (not as soft as 2015 V1x), similar driver performance, yet much less approach spin on full shots.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='Mahamilto' timestamp='1429060009' post='11360657']

[/quote]

I overall agree with this. It is clickier than most of the other Tour X balls I've played. It is the one thing that left a bit to be desired for me in this ball, but the driver distance may be in part to this "hardness" when you have the thump to put into this.

Lately I have been giving the Srixon XV a run on a friends recommendation, and I think the XV is a more "well-rounded" ball than the RZN Blk. It feels softer, and I definately prefer the XV off my irons. For me the RZN black only beats the XV slightly in driver distance, and is the same distance wise off other clubs, with a small possibility the XV actually gets a touch more yardage with shorter irons, again possibly because of how hard the RZN Black is.

After comparing the RZN Black and XV a bunch, I think the XV is possibly a better ball for my game as a whole. This is due to the improved feel and virtually negligable distance loss of driver with the XV, and the fact that the XV I am using is last years model and only 25-30 a dozen right now. If I'm in a long drive vs. a buddy I still pull the RZN, but my two lowest rounds this season were both with the XV... something to be said for that for sure.

I haven't tried the TPX or B330... but hear good things.

With the "X" type tour balls it seems to be a bit of a trade off here and there. The longest ones are firmer usually, the softest shorter. The ProV1x feels pretty darn soft to me, and I lose 10 yards to the RZN Black. The XV is not as hard as the RZN, not as soft as the PV1x, and I get 5 yards more vs the PV1x and lose about 5 to the RZN. I don't mind losing 5 yards for some feel and control, but 10 is pushing it. Add in the fact that the PV1x shows a bit more undersireable sidespin on my drives and the near 50 per dozen price and it becomes obvious that I'm not going to bag the ProV1x, though it is clearly a wonderful, well balanced golf ball.

These are just my takes on things...
[/quote]

And the XV yellow is just sexy..

I agree with others. Using Iron Byron, distance differences would be negligible. That said, if I hit a given ball even 3 yards more, than that negligible difference and how the ball feels has value to me.

But in response to the OP's question, I do NOT believe there is a longest tour ball; too many individual variables.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Scoring Wedge 113g 
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

All and none are the longest ball. Which ball works best with your swing and your driver will be the longest for YOU and only YOU! And the longest ball for you might not be the best ball for you. There maybe a ball that is shorter but because of its spin, will be more accurate and find more fairways or might feel better to you when you hit it. Do not listen to the others that say it is ball XXXX. Get a sleeve of the ones you want to try and see which works best for you.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1429027552' post='11356369']

[/quote]

I've always felt the B330 gets the best distance. If I hit 2 off the tee the B330 is usually 5-10 farther, for me.
[/quote]
I do get slightly more distance from the B330, seems to roll out a little more but around the greens it's much harder to stop.