2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mike Davis from USGA just said average 18-hole round cost $26

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to remember it means average in every sense of the word, factoring off season times, twilight, super twilight, etc. Where I grew up you could walk 18 for $18, they often ran specials for $25 with a cart. In Erie, PA where I lived for a couple years the most I ever spent was $30. Living in Mid Missouri you can walk 18 for as cheap as $17 and you fan get all the way up into the $100s. You have to remember all of the dog tracks that are out there. Yes we don't like to play them but they exist and charge a green fee that is probably next to nothing. The most I have ever personally spent on a round of golf is $50. And yes I realize I am lucky. Heck just a couple weeks ago my dad, brother and I played on a Saturday morning at 7 AM and paid $28 with cart and played in under 4 hours.

Isn't a single course over 70.00 with a cart where I live.. 90% under 50...

We have a few courses they've used for U.S. Open Qfying... Some really great courses really... Several with genuine character... We have one course, Par71... Driver stays home.... Will test your placement every time you strike a ball...

I have that mother....

And love it all at the same time.

Golf is cheap here... Time is not.

9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

anyhow, just to prove i wasn't making this up (which i think most of you don't think i was), here's the transcript link, with davis's actual words....

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=108813

[color=#000000]MIKE DAVIS:.......[/color][color=#000000]By the way, on the cost thing, one thing I didn't mention is that it's not as bad as people would think. The average 18-hole round, I believe, Steve, I'm right on this, is $28 per round?[/color]

[color=#000000]STEVE MONA: 26 actually now.[/color]

[color=#000000]MIKE DAVIS: 26 dollars a round, even better. So I suppose if you're an owner-operator maybe that's not the best thing, but as golfer it certainly is.[/color]

[color=#000000]and his take on water....[/color]

[color=#000000]So the whole idea with this, when we look at helping the game from a resource management standpoint is reducing the footprint of golf courses. And if you can take a golf course, for example, and go from 130 acres down to 90 acres, the amount of money and resources you will spend is substantial. It's not only saving water, which we would contend long-term is the biggest threat to the game, it's not participation, it's water. That's going to be doing a lot of good things.[/color]

Most municipal and public courses are around $30 w/ cart, 15-20 to walk. Knock off a few dollars for weekday rates. Also most courses will not allow walking before 2-3pm on the weekends during 'season', which is April-September. I tend to rotate courses and will walk nine holes in the late afternoons during the weekends of the summer. Many of the local courses are around $12 to walk the nine. One muni is a nine hole course, par 35 in good shape and difficulty, they charge $10 for unlimited walking or $5 for city residents.

But most public and muni courses around me in central NC are under $40 for 18 holes and a cart.

Ping driver
Taylormade fairways
Adams irons
Vokey and CG wedges
Yes! putter
W/S and Vice balls
Nike shoes
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212980-stillboards-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...illboards-witb/[/url]

[quote name='cam' timestamp='1430974792' post='11515001']
$26... I call bullxxxx... Only if I'm playing the crapiest course in the valley... On summer rates.. For a decent course I gotta she'll out over $50
[/quote]

Have you considered that you are playing expensive courses as a result of living in an expensive area?

I can easily see 26 for 18 holes on average. There are a few areas that only offer golf at far higher rates but I don't think that's the norm throughout the country, hence the "average".

Our MOST expensive course (that isn't private) in the area is 85 bucks or so midsummer on a weekend with a cart.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5*
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist AP1 4-5
Titleist AP2 6-P
Vokey SM6 52/58
Toulon Design Rochester

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1430932835' post='11510677']
$40-$75 around Denver with a cart. There is not one single course that I would actually consider worth playing around here, weekday or weekend, that you can get on for $28...Wellshire, my local muni and where I play my mens league tourneys, is $37 to walk on a weekend. $54 with a cart. And that is a muni. Legacy Ridge for example, a nicer public course, is near $70 to ride on a weekend.
[/quote]

From Colorado Springs to Fort Collins I would bet the "average" to walk 18 is close to $45. Especially on the weekends. Weekdays (when normal people are working) might be under $40.

drn92

This is what $26 gets you here in the Bay Area. An executive course with one hole you can pull the driver out.

[center][b][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]9:40 AM[/background][/b][/center]

[center][color=#F23803][size=3][b][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Monarch Bay - Marina 9 Hole[/background][/b][/size][/color][/center]

[center][color=#363636][size=3][b][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]$26.00 /player[/background][/b][/size][/color][/center]

[center][color=#333333][size=2][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Players 1 - 41 2 3 4 [/background][/size][/color][/center]

I play at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail course in Dothan, Alabama. It has hosted BUY.com Tour Championships and Hooter's Tour events in the past, so it is a pretty nice track. With my annual pass for couples, my wife and I pay $2250 per year total which allows us to walk as many rounds per year we want for no extra cost. We live 5 minutes from the course and over the course of a year we play an average of 200 rounds between us, if not more. That comes to $11.25 per round. If we want to ride, it costs $20 per person. If we upgraded to the Platinum Plus plan, we would pay $4000 per year total, and it includes all greens fees, all cart fees and unlimited range balls. At 200 rounds per year, that comes to $19.75 per round if we rode every round. If you subtract $5 for free range balls, it comes to $14.75 per round. These passes also get us free greens fees at all other RTJ Trail courses in Alabama, including Auburn and Mobile which host a PGA and LPGA events respectively. So all in all, we are getting a pretty sweet deal.

His numbers may be close ...with no cart......I never paid any attention to what was charged for use of a cart...I always walked....Now that I am getting a little age on these

old bones,i am amazed at what they are charging....as most people are saying,around 40 to 60 with a cart...middle of week....Cost may not be the only factor,but it is a big one'and some places I feel

the "water savings" issue is nothing more than saving money on mowing by reducing the fairways width,and growing the rough higher....we have several courses that a ball cannot be seen

five feet off the fairway unless you're standing on top of it........yeah...cost is a factor...

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

You can play some very nice courses around here for $25 with a cart. That's during the week and 18 holes. Unlimited yearly pass will cost you $600

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I wish I could get my average to $26 per round. I would say it's closer to $40 overall. I can find some deals/twilight specials that get me around $30 with no cart, but I find that Colorado golf is somewhat expensive compared to Michigan.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

A bit surprising at first glance, but as others have stated, when you throw in mid-week and twilight rates, it's probably correct. Here in Chicago, you can walk 18 on a Tuesday afternoon at the Jackson Park GC (Muni) or Indian Boundary (Muni) for $22. You can also pay $160 (plus cart fee) to play at The Glen Club on Sunday morning at 8:10 am.

The typical muni around Chicago charges ~$45 to walk during the week, and another $5 on the weekends during the summer season. Spring/Fall rates are generally 20% cheaper.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

$26 would be great! I'd say in my area the cheapest rate you'd find would be $25 walking with no specials, but by far the going average is $35+.. and it's not because the courses are prestiges. Rates seem to be increasing I think.. And I have a hard time telling a difference between the majority of $25 and $45 courses, with a few exceptions. Most courses around here are city owned, and I would equate course conditions to road conditions as far as how they are cared for.

HAHAHAAHAHAHA $26 for 18 holes...........

Thats 9 holes super twilight here in Hawaii

$26...... I dont think I ever saw those prices since I was in middles school....

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='richbryce' timestamp='1430959787' post='11513503']I live on the South Side of Atlanta. With the Golf Now App I have not payed more than 50 all year. Most of my rounds have been with in 25-35 dollars on some nice courses.[/quote]

In Atlanta This Year, has been Out Of Season. Factor in Summer Rates and that's an increase of 10-20 per round. So in a year's worth of golf your average will be 35-40 or 20% more than what Mr. Davis is quoting. Which nice courses on the South Side?

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Obviously stated before numbers can lie. If they took all of the tee times on a sheet, including twilight and Winter rates (up North) the average for the country could be $26. If they took the average PAID, it would be higher and more realistic. It should also be broken down by population density.

Sure there are great bargains in Dothan, AL, but head into Birmingham or Atlanta and those bargains disappear. There are many set ups like the RTJ Trail else wear.

Could people include their Region when talking about prices? Your personal location does not show up on the app.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Not only is water getting scarce in some parts but the electricity to run the pumps is outrageous. A 150 gallon per minute pump that is run every day for a couple of hours could cost upwards of 500 bucks a month just for a 9 hole course. Everything is getting more expensive in this country. Its sad that so many courses are closing. I think it was something like 300 courses closed last year in the United States.